Author Topic: Krux K4 turning issues  (Read 4363 times)

Ben De Gros

Krux K4 turning issues
« on: May 12, 2018, 10:04:41 PM »
I have just recently put on a pair of 8.5" Krux K4's just to test them out for a while. I am about 4 sessions in and the first thing I noticed is the turning is horribly sluggish. I have them loosened up to the point the hanger wobbles. I am riding them with 54mm wheels and can't even get wheelbite unless I lean hard and even then it's  a struggle. Also the responsiveness/depth of turning seems to be really shallow. I have never had any other brands feel so un-responsive. I'm just testing them out to make a video review of them but I'm having a hard time wanting to skate them anymore. I am also surprised to see how many people on here like them and say they turn well.

My question is, do they take a long time to break in? Will they get any better? They seem to have such a shallow carve that even if they weren't so stiff they still wouldn't perform well. I just miss my indys but I feel like I should ride them for at least a few more sessions before I throw in the towel on them. So far they aren't even good enough for a cruiser deck. I'm interested to hear others experiences.

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Krux K4 turning issues
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
Krux are fucking shit if you wanna turn. I had a pair on my cruiser a few years back and I couldn't make them work no matter what. Terrible fucking trucks. I'm riding 54 mm wheels also and I couldn't get them to wheelbite. I did get them wobbly in the center but they still didn't turn worth shit. Even Ventures turn better.

Ben De Gros

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:55:02 AM »
Those are pretty much my thoughts exactly. I am hoping to hear some krux fans chime in but at this point I don't want to spend more than another day on them. I have a deck and wheels I am really enjoying and it seems like a waste not enjoy the trucks.

micky682

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 08:06:19 AM »
Those are pretty much my thoughts exactly. I am hoping to hear some krux fans chime in but at this point I don't want to spend more than another day on them. I have a deck and wheels I am really enjoying and it seems like a waste not enjoy the trucks.
Kinda weird how some of those guys on the team actually do ride Krux. Ryan Lay, Ducky, I think even Silas skates them.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »

Someone here told me that Krux are quite close to Aces when I was looking for new trucks and my local had just sold out of the Aces. Fuck that guy, whoever it was. Got the Aces later on and that has been the best decision.  :)

Ben De Gros

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Someone here told me that Krux are quite close to Aces when I was looking for new trucks and my local had just sold out of the Aces. Fuck that guy, whoever it was. Got the Aces later on and that has been the best decision.  :)
They are on the opposite end of the spectrum as Aces. I can't imagine a truck that turns less than Krux. Even a low venture has better turning when you factor in the size and wheelbase. I also tried putting bones bushings in with the washer on the bottom to keep the height the same and there was no substantial difference. Not enough to waste a pair of bones in them anyway.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
They are on the opposite end of the spectrum as Aces. I can't imagine a truck that turns less than Krux. Even a low venture has better turning when you factor in the size and wheelbase. I also tried putting bones bushings in with the washer on the bottom to keep the height the same and there was no substantial difference. Not enough to waste a pair of bones in them anyway.

I tried everything too. Nothing made them better. Absolutely hated them. Took them off a spare cruiser I had when I ate shit skating home drunk with it cuz I just couldn’t get used to how they work. Put them up for sale and had to wait for a year or so for someone to buy them. Seriously, fuck Krux!  :D

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 05:36:53 AM »
I have just recently put on a pair of 8.5" Krux K4's just to test them out for a while. I am about 4 sessions in and the first thing I noticed is the turning is horribly sluggish. I have them loosened up to the point the hanger wobbles. I am riding them with 54mm wheels and can't even get wheelbite unless I lean hard and even then it's  a struggle. Also the responsiveness/depth of turning seems to be really shallow. I have never had any other brands feel so un-responsive. I'm just testing them out to make a video review of them but I'm having a hard time wanting to skate them anymore. I am also surprised to see how many people on here like them and say they turn well.

My question is, do they take a long time to break in? Will they get any better? They seem to have such a shallow carve that even if they weren't so stiff they still wouldn't perform well. I just miss my indys but I feel like I should ride them for at least a few more sessions before I throw in the towel on them. So far they aren't even good enough for a cruiser deck. I'm interested to hear others experiences.

Krux K4 have the least amount of turn. It is what it is. This makes them the hardest truck to switch to. You'll think it's gonna carve and so you'll tip over and go "what the fuck", but if you take the time to get used to them you may find the stability helps you skate better.

They get a bad rap for this. No one needs to turn that god damn much. I've been skating Aces on my main because I skate in my driveway and a small park so yes I like to carve around my car or the flat bar at slow speeds and shit, but I ride Krux on my cruiser because they are the most stable at high speeds, have a nice high ollie, allow bigger wheels, and I can lock them up. Took a minute to get used to it, but I am now and it's great. In the back of my mind I feel like I might go full Krux eventually but I'm enjoying my Aces.

Check out the new Kevin Braun OJ super juice video on youtube. 60 mm wheels, no risers. Tell me he's not turning fine.

To answer your question, they break in slowly but will maintain the same feel for the most part.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:50:16 AM by Beeker »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
That’s how I always felt about krux, very stable but has wiggle so when you land from impact you still have that wiggle to lean

Unlike silvers, the bushings will take months to break in and they don’t turn or have the wiggle after impact. Just straight hard
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
That’s how I always felt about krux, very stable but has wiggle so when you land from impact you still have that wiggle to lean

Unlike silvers, the bushings will take months to break in and they don’t turn or have the wiggle after impact. Just straight hard

After skating two sets of Krux (loose mind) and looking at the pivot cup 'damage' they really don't turn/carve but lean side to side, my cups deformed to something like this <> (top down pov)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:47:12 AM »
Some people prefer trucks like this.  Like Rodney mentioned in designing the tensor, the leaning as more a function of regaining your balance....

Diocletian

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
I ordered some 8.5” Krux one time. Sent them back. Another time ordered some 8.25” ones because they were on sale for like $20 a set. Sent them back again. Can’t get over how ugly they look.

It’s interesting how it’s hard to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and imagine skating a different way than you prefer. I personally think Ace trucks are the way trucks are supposed to be. Skateboarding is derived from surfing. When I watch someone who’s good at it and carving a wave and airing over it, then see someone like Bob Lake or Steve Olson skate a bowl, that’s skateboarding to me. Purest form. A truck that leans and doesn’t turn might as well not exist, through my eyes. But street dudes don’t need carvey surfey I guess, just light and stable. It’s all subjective.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
If you know who Bob lake is....why are you buying trucks with jelly beans on them? 

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 06:12:16 PM »
You bought Krux so...

Clock3rs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 01:58:20 AM »
So I rode 2 pairs of krux within the last 1 1/2 years. First one bent within a year, second one within 3 months. It also cracked this time right in the middle, above the hole. I usually only skate curb, no stairs, gaps or whatsoever

Both pairs did not turn at all. they turned like shit but I got used to it. Iam back to Indys now and hella happy. I can turn and they feel overall a lot better.

throw them away, buy real trucks

Ben De Gros

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 07:26:13 AM »

Thank you. This was very helpful :)

Ben De Gros

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 07:29:32 AM »
Thanks to everyone who responded. It's very helpful to get some more perspectives and opinions. I am almost done the video and can get back on my Indys' :)

CRITICAL BEATDOWN

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
Thanks to everyone who responded. It's very helpful to get some more perspectives and opinions. I am almost done the video and can get back on my Indys' :)
Do a video about Jason Jesse being a racist and independent enabling it.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 11:23:29 AM »

This is something else I forgot to add. Their bushings are over-rated. Slightly softer would do wonders, but on the other hand, using one of their bushings with something softer as the other is really great. I have a doh doh's soft as the bottom on one of my sets and bones mediums as the tops on the other and they both turn way better than stock.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is something else I forgot to add. Their bushings are over-rated. Slightly softer would do wonders, but on the other hand, using one of their bushings with something softer as the other is really great. I have a doh doh's soft as the bottom on one of my sets and bones mediums as the tops on the other and they both turn way better than stock.

I don't know if overrated is the right word as they are very good. Not as good as the new ACEs, aftermarket indys (or even minilogos, really they are quite good) but certainly better than most stock offerings.

Oddly, they seem to just work great in Krux but not great in anything else, but just ok.