Author Topic: Vans insole alterations  (Read 15313 times)

JerrySeinfeld

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Vans insole alterations
« on: May 13, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »
Does anyone here have expierence in taking out classic vans insoles in order to put a different insole in? I want to take out the insoles in my half cabs and put in some pro insoles but I don’t want to ruin my shoes. Anyone have any tips? 

sorry

• Rep: -14
Re: Vans insole alterations
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
taking out insoles from vans classics is a pain in the ass but I wouldnt worry about ruining your shoes.
the thing is they are basically glued to the inside of the shoe, and when you rip them out, some foamy pieces can stay glued to the shoe. But I was always able to scrape them completely off with my nails. Remove the laces to make the shoe loose as possible so you have room to do this

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
I’ve peeled them out of regular half cabs many times without issue. Tried it again recently with a sk8-hi and it was more difficult but using a skinny putty knife helped.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 02:54:54 PM »
I havent had to do this for a long time, so they may have changed their way of fixing it down, but walking around in them a day, letting the heat from your feet soften the glue helps them peel out easier, i've even taken a hair dryer to the inside, but watch for the toe area, that blue shit can often tear leaving you to scrape the last bits out with a knife

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »
The rubber in the heels of classic Vans seems much thicker than in the pro skate versions, so other insoles may put your heels too high to settle into the shoes.  Something to think about.

IHOP

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »
Yea putting in pro insoles will have your heels sitting higher, but if you dont mind it go for it.

The toes of vans insoles usually arent glued down so if you have sk8 hi's or a shoe you can get to the toe easier, start from the toe and work back, comes off smoother and less chunky.

Recently took the insoles out of converse (not cons) and replaced it with a nike zoom insole and its way better, insoles were about the same size.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 11:39:08 PM »
go half size up if you're planning to swap insoles (unless you don't care about your heel siting higher)

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 12:47:33 AM »
Good tips here.. I'd like to add using a hair dryer to warm up the glue so you can get the insole out easier. I've done it couple of times and works it well and you don't leave any little pieces of classic insole..

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »
Question: assuming you don’t own the Vans yet wouldn’t it be easier to purchase the Pro series and then swap out the Ultracush insoles? What I am curious to know is whether the outer soles of the Vans classics are the same thickness as the Pro series? It seems like the soles on the classics are thicker. I would rather have a thicker sole so the shoe will last longer but the classics insole don’t cup your feet, so if the classics and pros outer soles are the same thickness then I will go with the pro series and customize the insole.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »
Question: assuming you don’t own the Vans yet wouldn’t it be easier to purchase the Pro series and then swap out the Ultracush insoles? What I am curious to know is whether the outer soles of the Vans classics are the same thickness as the Pro series? It seems like the soles on the classics are thicker. I would rather have a thicker sole so the shoe will last longer but the classics insole don’t cup your feet, so if the classics and pros outer soles are the same thickness then I will go with the pro series and customize the insole.

Not sure about the sole thickness but I've had classics and pro vans and the classics seem better in every way(fit, design, durability if you get them in suede) so I understand why op asked this question.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Not sure about the sole thickness but I've had classics and pro vans and the classics seem better in every way(fit, design, durability if you get them in suede) so I understand why op asked this question.

definitely not

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

definitely not
I know it's trivial but I think the classics are miles better.  I'm currently wearing these(Suede Authentic classics):

The fit, build, stitching, toe bumper etc. all seem much better constructed than the pros but I realize reasonable people can disagree over this.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

More_Gas

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 03:55:22 PM »
just rip them out and make sure the green cardboard doesn't get ripped with it,
it rips well if you haven't worn them yet and the insole is cold so that the blue foam part comes out in 1 piece and you won't have to scrape off the rest with a knife.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 06:03:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

definitely not
[close]
I know it's trivial but I think the classics are miles better.  I'm currently wearing these(Suede Authentic classics):

The fit, build, stitching, toe bumper etc. all seem much better constructed than the pros but I realize reasonable people can disagree over this.

I hate authentics.  Guaranteed blisters
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Coolhats

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »
I too prefer the classics to the pros. The pros have more padding but they always flop out super quickly for me. I just took the soles out of some regular canvas eras. I skated them for a bit and then tore the insole out, and just used a flat head screw driver to scrape whatever foam was left in the bottom. I put in some cons lunarlon insoles and they seem to fit in pretty well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:26:35 PM by Coolhats »

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

definitely not
[close]

Aren't these the 'Anaheim Factory' ones, though? They're supposed to be much higher quality than the regular Classics, and significantly more expensive. The regular Classics aren't as good as those ones, and I find are becoming very hard to find in suede or leather since they've started pushing the Pro Classics harder.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 110
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 06:37:03 AM »
I prefer classic Half Cabs over the Pros so go a half size up on the classics and swap out the insoles for ultracush ones. 

To remove the classic insoles I heat them up with a hairdryer for a few minutes, then just pull them out.  That sounds like the method most use. 
Enjoy your life.

TailDevil

• Rep: -1
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
Classics have always been better in my opinion. Pros have gotten floppy too quickly, and seem unnecessarily puffy. Also seemed like the sole wore out quicker. Definitely just add an extra insole to the classics or replace the regular one.