Author Topic: evidence for mike v's racism  (Read 11184 times)

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: evidence for mike v's racism
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
Oh good. SLAP is 4chan now. Great job guys you're the best.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:51 AM »

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
This is such a stupid fucking thread

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »
Expand Quote
it's just the fucking worst when people are having a good discussion trying to debate whether so and so should be held accountable today for the dumb shit they pulled in the past and what not, and then some dumb shit rolls around and goes DUHHH BUT MIKE V HAD A BALD HEAD SO WHAT ABOUT HIM UHUHGUH
[close]
i didn't derail that thread i made my own. if you don't like, there's the door.
to mr crack, you're entitled to your opinion but being black or offended doesn't make you right and anyone else wrong. it's your opinion.
sorry you didn't like my joke.

The mere fact that this fucking kook has a '400+' rep here alone shows how fucked this whole message board is. Most of you guys are fucking kooks. Confirmed.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
Just as long as Emily V is not, we are good

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 11:58:51 AM »

Exactly. The moment you see someone type "ITT:" expect the worst. Redditors and 4chaners don't even realize how stupid their "yeah, but" logic games are.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
While this awful thread was started as a way to make light of racism and holding people accountable, Mike Vallely DID, in fact, say some shady racist shit in his old Big Brother interview that, realistically, deserves an explanation and an apology.

Expand Quote
Rick Kosick said you're a racist. Is that true?
You said I'm a racist, Kosick? Why would you say that? Did I say something about jigaboos or something?
Something when we were crossing the San Pedro bridge. You said, "tell that n*gger I want a receipt."
You say some pretty crazy shit too, Kosick. Um, I wouldn't say I'm a racist, but I would say that I'm very aware that I have certain prejudices.
Have you ever used the phrase, "n*gger work," to describe mundane jobs?
I probably have, yeah. I don't want this to turn into, "Mike Vallely is a racist," or "Mike Vallely hates black people," because I don't. Like I said, I'm aware of certain prejudices I've inherited. I'm no different than anyone else.
[close]

Source: http://www.snakewilliams.com/images/extras/bigbrother14.pdf

To his defense, he did speak out about this right away... he said he was misquoted and all his real quotes were taken out of context.

I have no idea what his original quotes were, but I do remember a lot of skaters coming to his defense.  Kareem Campbell being one of them.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
Expand Quote
While this awful thread was started as a way to make light of racism and holding people accountable, Mike Vallely DID, in fact, say some shady racist shit in his old Big Brother interview that, realistically, deserves an explanation and an apology.

Expand Quote
Rick Kosick said you're a racist. Is that true?
You said I'm a racist, Kosick? Why would you say that? Did I say something about jigaboos or something?
Something when we were crossing the San Pedro bridge. You said, "tell that n*gger I want a receipt."
You say some pretty crazy shit too, Kosick. Um, I wouldn't say I'm a racist, but I would say that I'm very aware that I have certain prejudices.
Have you ever used the phrase, "n*gger work," to describe mundane jobs?
I probably have, yeah. I don't want this to turn into, "Mike Vallely is a racist," or "Mike Vallely hates black people," because I don't. Like I said, I'm aware of certain prejudices I've inherited. I'm no different than anyone else.
[close]

Source: http://www.snakewilliams.com/images/extras/bigbrother14.pdf
[close]

To his defense, he did speak out about this right away... he said he was misquoted and all his real quotes were taken out of context.

I have no idea what his original quotes were, but I do remember a lot of skaters coming to his defense.  Kareem Campbell being one of them.
It should also be noted that anything from Big Brother should be taken with a grain of salt. They were always courting controversy without much regard for consequence. They weren't thinking anyone would be around this long and still have careers in skateboarding.

Kevin Romar

• Rep: -16
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
Anyone that believes anything written online is a dumb nigger faggot kike and deserves to die today.

jawano

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »
Racism is a complicated subject. Humor has traditionally been an acceptable form of asking questions or poking at established norms or commonly accepted arguments.

When people start saying that a subject is one that people "shouldn't joke" about, as has been suggested of the topic of racism in this thread, I wonder what motivations they have in controlling the speech and thought of others.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
There are multiple threads highlighting racism within skateboarding. Some of you decide to make new threads making light of this (Adrian Lopez/Mystery, Mike V., etc.)

This is pretty much white privilege in a nutshell. Many of us are upset/hurt by skateboarding's obvious signs of racism, yet you idiots think it's a good idea to make a joke out of all this. Why? Because you can't comprehend why this would be such a big deal in the first place.

Shark Tits, you've spoken out a few times on the topic of white people using the n-word. You obviously don't get it.

White people: shut the fuck up about issues of race, listen, and try to gain something from the perspective of someone of color. I'm so sick and tired of you guys trying to whitewash every little thing that inconveniences your lives.
This, 100%. Fuck anyone making a joke of this.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There are multiple threads highlighting racism within skateboarding. Some of you decide to make new threads making light of this (Adrian Lopez/Mystery, Mike V., etc.)

This is pretty much white privilege in a nutshell. Many of us are upset/hurt by skateboarding's obvious signs of racism, yet you idiots think it's a good idea to make a joke out of all this. Why? Because you can't comprehend why this would be such a big deal in the first place.

Shark Tits, you've spoken out a few times on the topic of white people using the n-word. You obviously don't get it.

White people: shut the fuck up about issues of race, listen, and try to gain something from the perspective of someone of color. I'm so sick and tired of you guys trying to whitewash every little thing that inconveniences your lives.
[close]
This, 100%. Fuck anyone making a joke of this.
[close]

i back this

You're all being bitches about this.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Trump2020

• Rep: -47
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »

What signs of racism are you seeing in skateboarding exactly? Someone who was evidently one decades ago, and now clearly isn't? There are no "Nazi" skateboarders rolling in packs. As a singular one you'd be "kook'd" out in a heartbeat. Skateboarding is about individuality yet is very left-leaning and as a whole is extremely against racism and all about diversity. You are ousted if you are a racist skateboarder. So if there are any, they aren't showing it, so your very fragile feelings are pretty safe if you ask me.

Also, you're an evident groupthink cultist. Dave Chappelle made a show entirely based around racist jokes. Some of his co-writers were white. People of all races make racist jokes, and it will never not be allowed, because that's free speech for you. Many of them are funny, you should try escaping the clutches of groupthink and laugh a little. You'd probably begin to enjoy life and stop viewing yourself and those around you as victims constantly.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What signs of racism are you seeing in skateboarding exactly? Someone who was evidently one decades ago, and now clearly isn't? There are no "Nazi" skateboarders rolling in packs. As a singular one you'd be "kook'd" out in a heartbeat. Skateboarding is about individuality yet is very left-leaning and as a whole is extremely against racism and all about diversity. You are ousted if you are a racist skateboarder. So if there are any, they aren't showing it, so your very fragile feelings are pretty safe if you ask me.

Also, you're an evident groupthink cultist. Dave Chappelle made a show entirely based around racist jokes. Some of his co-writers were white. People of all races make racist jokes, and it will never not be allowed, because that's free speech for you. Many of them are funny, you should try escaping the clutches of groupthink and laugh a little. You'd probably begin to enjoy life and stop viewing yourself and those around you as victims constantly.

There is a difference between making racist jokes in the context of a comedy television show and making specific false statements about an actual person's character. 

One is humor and one is libel which is not protected under the first amendment.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »

for the record /out/ and /trv/ are great boards and I would love if slap had a "sage" feature.  my post right now is the perfect example. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
"White people are fuckin' up!" - Jason Dill

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »
Expand Quote
The issue here is that making light of racism, even in something as inconsequential as a Slap thread, is still a dangerous thing to do. It undermines the gravity of racism and starts to normalize it: "this isn't so bad, look we can still have a few laughs about it!" Which, if you experience(d) racism, can be extremely frustrating to say the least and it undermines progress. In a broad sense it's the same thing as JJ using Nazi ephemera. Whether or not he's serious about it and/or it was when he was younger, they are still symbols of hate. And to put it a certain way, not everyone's going to get the joke.
[close]
i disagree. if you can't joke about something it has power over you.
some people are too shtoops to get jokes but it isn't incumbent on the comedian to dumb it down.
it's also more joking on fragility and those seeing racism everywhere, not poking fun of a kid murdered by police or whatever. pick your battles cause if you think i'm halfway to burning crosses, the world must be a scary place.

I'm not even saying you are racist, or prejudiced, or whatever. I'm just saying that one should not be surprised in 2018 if a statement like the one you're making gets this kind of backlash. Already your tone seems to have gotten defensive and I was speaking in general terms originally. Yes humor can take away the power from racism, agreed. But context and timing are everything and considering the increasingly heated statements being posted in the JJ thread, the proximity of this thread to that one puts it in an awkward position where, like I said, not everyone is going to "get" the joke. By that I mean this isn't going to be funny to a segment of people on here, particularly anyone who has/does confront racial stereotypes with any sort of regularity.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
Leave Mike V out of this.
He's likely to go apeshit on you for inciting this false rumor via 4 jocks at once for calling him a "skater fag"

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
here we go...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2018, 10:54:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if youre getting on him about the phrase "you guys" im sure he meant it as in "you guys that are sticking up for jason jesse's shitty behaviour".

also, you say he'd be kooked out of the industry if he were really racist. why wasnt he 10 or 20 years ago? if youre right and hes not racist, its almost worse to wear and say that shit to be edgy. your spreading hate that you dont even believe in to uphold an image? never heard of anything lamer than that

if you think this thread wasnt a fuck you to anyone who was offended by jason's speech/fashion/actions, then youre tripping. i really dont know why someone(shark tits) would want to back a person using swastikas/hate speech. i guess were all too pussy to understand it and its wrong for us to be offended by someone promoting racism. if youre doing it as a knee jerk reaction to be different from the "groupthink" it shows how juvenile and out of touch you are. youre actively defending and therefore contributing to racism, but hey at least youre not like everyone else!

also re: the chappelle comment, youre right man. i should just loosen up and have a laugh over about jesse's swastika patches and his anger at his mom "fucking a nigger", its about the same as chappelle's show right?

not trying to play victim. trying to show you how ignorant youre being, since you dont seem to get it.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
it's just the fucking worst when people are having a good discussion trying to debate whether so and so should be held accountable today for the dumb shit they pulled in the past and what not, and then some dumb shit rolls around and goes DUHHH BUT MIKE V HAD A BALD HEAD SO WHAT ABOUT HIM UHUHGUH
[close]
i didn't derail that thread i made my own. if you don't like, there's the door.
to mr crack, you're entitled to your opinion but being black or offended doesn't make you right and anyone else wrong. it's your opinion.
sorry you didn't like my joke.
[close]

The mere fact that this fucking kook has a '400+' rep here alone shows how fucked this whole message board is. Most of you guys are fucking kooks. Confirmed.

My thoughts exactly ^^
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

shark tits

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2018, 01:10:52 AM »
kid i knew's dad on bainbridge isle told me a story 20 yrs ago. it was during some civil rights riots at ucla, his friend was running, holding the flag. ol' boy's dad grabbed the flag in a sort of relay race as the black students closed in on the tired friend.
he ran w/ that flag but one of the kids, forget his name* but i recognized it as a famous retired basketball player at the time, caught up and socked him.
he goes 'it was then i realized the difference between a symbol and the corporeal.'
so yeah, i don't give a shit about flags, bad symbols or anything else.
be nice to people, ride the fire, burn the flag.
fwiw i get uncomfortable w/ people w/ swaztika tats but i don't want them to die or get it lazered of. the world isn't about what i'm comfortable w/.
*elgin baylor maybe?

Kevin Romar

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 12:27:18 AM »
I heard that if you push a nazi off a cliff they can fly

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »
People need to get over this shit.

- Racism is terrible
- Every race has some super cool people and some total assholes.  Most people fall in the middle.
- Every person you meet should be evaluated on their personal merit.
ABSOLUTELY best reply yet and should be the end yet somehow trolls will continue
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Alex Olson

• Rep: -8
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »
Mike V is guilty of many things