Author Topic: What Skate Companies are Minority Owned?  (Read 6287 times)

AreYouHarvinFun?

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: What Skate Companies are Minority Owned?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »
Because It’s important for minorities to break bread with each other and build a strong economic base amongst themselves. In an industry dominated by whites (which is fine), I think there should be somewhat of an emphasis on minorities supporting their own across all races. DLX, NHS, etc have gotten plenty of money from me over the years, I’d just like to make more of an effort to spend said money amongst the small companies owned by people who look like me instead of all of it going towards an already well-off company/distro that may or may not actually give a fuck about me

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What skate companies out there have majority ownership by a person/people of color? I don’t really know of any off the top of my head right now but I know they’re out there.
[close]
Totally not trying to go all Jason Jesse, but, "White" or people of European decent is a, "Color."  Just my opinion, but I don't think it's cool to base your skate purchases based off people's skin color or race.  Who cares?, as long as the team is good and the product is quality. 
[close]

Because It’s important for minorities to break bread with each other and build a strong economic base amongst themselves. In an industry dominated by whites (which is fine), I think there should be somewhat of an emphasis on minorities supporting their own across all races. DLX, NHS, etc have gotten plenty of money from me over the years, I’d just like to make more of an effort to spend said money amongst the small companies owned by people who look like me instead of all of it going towards an already well-off company/distro that may or may not actually give a fuck about me

So... Is it Okay if I only buy skate product from people, "Who look like me"?  No, "Distro"  cares about you at all.  Just buy stuff from companies you like.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »
The entire industry is run by dark men. Jerry told us so.

CRITICAL BEATDOWN

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What skate companies out there have majority ownership by a person/people of color? I don’t really know of any off the top of my head right now but I know they’re out there.
[close]
Totally not trying to go all Jason Jesse, but, "White" or people of European decent is a, "Color."  Just my opinion, but I don't think it's cool to base your skate purchases based off people's skin color or race.  Who cares?, as long as the team is good and the product is quality. 
[close]

[close]

So... Is it Okay if I only buy skate product from people, "Who look like me"?  No, "Distro"  cares about you at all.  Just buy stuff from companies you like.
You can just stop with the false equivalency bullshit right the fuck now. 

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »
If nothing else it's an interesting subject just because the obvious disparity between the demographics of those who skate and those who run the industry. Stop being such a sensitive fucking pussy lampshade.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »
I think asking "what companies market to colored people but are owned by cracKKKas" would have yielded greater results.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 02:20:19 PM »
Stereo - Chris Pastras
Real - Tommy G

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »
white folks better with money.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »
WKND-Grant Yansura and Raymond Molinar?
Welcome-Jason Celaya
Any company Tony Alva and Stacy Peralta have owned, both Mexican-American.

midevilco

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
The Zumiez out here is 75% black employees. #progress

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 06:25:43 AM »

Ha- #Zumiezlivesmatter.  Sorry if I offended anyone in this thread.  People should just buy stuff they're stoked on.  Some people get off on buying the most obscure core brands no one has ever heard of and some people love Element and Plan B.  Whatever works for you.   

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:31 AM »
Expand Quote
carpet co is by two middle eastern brothers, thats the best company out right now!
[close]
Big ups to these guys. Everything they put out is dope.

Also, the game needs Organikarl. Someone back this man.
Karl has Maxallure now

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 08:19:22 AM »
Rick Howard is Czech and Mike Carroll is Romanian so Girl, Chocolate, and Lakai.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 08:21:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
carpet co is by two middle eastern brothers, thats the best company out right now!
[close]

[close]
Karl has Maxallure now
Their decks are sick but kinda a FA ripoff (big surprise.)
I find it ironic that despite the name of the company i've seen maxallure boards NOWHERE.
Karl writing them childerens books anyway man fuck some skateboarding to pay the bills shit.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:39 AM »
I think Hopps belongs mostly to Jahmal Williams? I'm fairly certain Pep Kim owns a chunk of Chrystie, as well, but don't quote me on that.

Is Lev Tanju of Palace a POC?

Also, this is a great thread, Will. Back it.

He's Turkish, which got me psyched, because i am of turkish descent and there are like no other turks in the skateboard industry i think, except for jai tanju
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:26:29 AM by fickdiepolizei666 »

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
Does Koston own part of Numbers?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
Louw - Enrique Lorenzo
Numbers - Eric Koston
Affiliate (RIP) - Vache Kodjavakian and Reggie Destin (RIP)
American Dream Inc (RIP) - Ron Allen
Preduce
Evisen

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Vitello's are Latin American and own practically everything. Although, I think they are originally of Italian descent. 

Also, figuring out who owns what exactly in certain scenario's is difficult. Like how much of Real does Tommy own and how much of Krooked does Gonz own. Due to these being privately held companies this info is never publically available.

Does anyone know what Lev Tanju's background is?
[close]
I know a Turkish guy with the same last name, so maybe turkish?
[close]
That's what I thought, but then we get into do Turkish people count as POC or as a minority considering the standards can get pretty arbitrary at points.

Def. not POC

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha- #Zumiezlivesmatter.  Sorry if I offended anyone in this thread.  People should just buy stuff they're stoked on.  Some people get off on buying the most obscure core brands no one has ever heard of and some people love Element and Plan B.  Whatever works for you.

stop pretending you don't know what racism is
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The conversation of buying from a specific race, sets us back decades as a society.

Modern fucking-day tribalism is alive and well. Well done gents.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The conversation of buying from a specific race, sets us back decades as a society.

How does minorities making an emphasis to support their own businesses “set us back”? Do some of y’all just not get the economics behind it? I just don’t understand how there’s people in this thread who look at this as a bad thing unless you’re getting overly defensive and acting like I’m trying to segregate people’s shopping habits.

Its the same concept as the core vs corpo argument, Where do you want that dollar to go? As a black man in America, I’d like to think I can support a black-owned business (and possibly someone’s family) through my skateboarding hobby by buying goods through them. What’s wrong with that concept? I’ve bought a ton of boards from the big brands throughout my lifetime without hesitation, what’s wrong with showing love to the little guys?

Much thanks to anyone in here coming through with some real input on brands though. I just want people to be able to support their own and empower their dollars, even if it’s just money spent on skate gear.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2018, 01:53:13 PM »
Hardies hardware.

The HANDSDOWN movement/clothing brand.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How does minorities making an emphasis to support their own businesses “set us back”? Do some of y’all just not get the economics behind it? I just don’t understand how there’s people in this thread who look at this as a bad thing unless you’re getting overly defensive and acting like I’m trying to segregate people’s shopping habits.

Its the same concept as the core vs corpo argument, Where do you want that dollar to go? As a black man in America, I’d like to think I can support a black-owned business (and possibly someone’s family) through my skateboarding hobby by buying goods through them. What’s wrong with that concept? I’ve bought a ton of boards from the big brands throughout my lifetime without hesitation, what’s wrong with showing love to the little guys?

Much thanks to anyone in here coming through with some real input on brands though. I just want people to be able to support their own and empower their dollars, even if it’s just money spent on skate gear.

Everyone is free to choose and voice an opinion. I'm not mad either way.

Corp vs. core debate is loosely based on the idea that these large brands, do more harm then good. They'll leave, when the industry is no longer profitable, etc. They're only making decisions based on dollars and cents, right. We could go on forever...

Basing a purchase on skin color, is not the same debate. I understand your side of the coin, it makes perfect sense. Just a hard thing not to twist into something its not.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »
I think Hopps belongs mostly to Jahmal Williams? I'm fairly certain Pep Kim owns a chunk of Chrystie, as well, but don't quote me on that.

Is Lev Tanju of Palace a POC?

Also, this is a great thread, Will. Back it.

from what i've heard Palace isn't really owned by Lev, some suit guys really owning the thing (letting him and the boys do what they want pretty much though)

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Karl has Maxallure now
Good lookin out. I didn't know about Maxallure. Will cop soon.

Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Goddamn this attitude is ignorant. Would you say that about Jewish people as well? People still out here trying to act like the way to overcome racism is to pretend like it didn't/doesn't exist. Slavery, Jim Crow, redlining, inequity in drug policies, segregation, and the MANY other forms of systemic racism are what ACTUALLY set us back decades, centuries actually.

Supporting black or brown owned businesses is just one small way to try and counter those injustices above. When we close the wealth gap and credit gap for minority business owners maybe then the conversation can change. Not before then. Understanding the economics and history is necessary.
This book is a good start:
https://www.epi.org/publication/the-color-of-law-a-forgotten-history-of-how-our-government-segregated-america/

Of course people should buy whatever the fuck they're stoked on. That can mean supporting folks who have been marginalized if they also happen to make dope shit.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
Louw - Enrique Lorenzo
Numbers - Eric Koston
Preduce
Evisen
Evisen is from Japan, and i think being japonese in japan is not minority but ok

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Louw - Enrique Lorenzo
Numbers - Eric Koston
Preduce
Evisen
[close]
Evisen is from Japan, and i think being japonese in japan is not minority but ok

That’s great, but I’m not in Japan.

You should work on your deductive reasoning.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »