Author Topic: Things that ruin tricks  (Read 10556 times)

reptar_bar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Things that ruin tricks
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:02:02 PM »
When the skater lands and their pants are so low they get the classic “plumbers crack” (see Chris cole, new blood)

The shoe lace thong (lizard)

When the skater is so stoked on their trick they rage , Jolsin style. Sure a bit of hype is fine, no need to rip your shirt off every video part

Awkward group hugs

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: Things that ruin tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »
Switch tricks that don’t look switch
Fakie tricks that aren’t done looking backwards

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:06:13 PM »
fake steez.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:10:03 PM »
under rotated flatground back 3's

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:54:24 PM »
Outrageous clown like clothing. Example : stephen lawyer
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:57:00 PM »
sex changing

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »
When the skater lands and their pants are so low they get the classic “plumbers crack” (see Chris cole, new blood ragdoll, every part)
fixed

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:53:51 AM »
both hands touching the wall on a fs wall ride

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:28:59 AM »
Not being given the chance/choice to watch in normal speed.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

feedmeseymour

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 05:31:22 AM »
when a local park kid does your trick first try to flex on ya.

Henry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 05:37:17 AM »
being a nazi

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 05:38:43 AM »
two tone wheels (ie navs), swirls are okay as they just sort of blend together (or maybe im just trying to defend my regrettable purchase in formula fours) but two tones are just a fucking epilepsy inducer

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 06:06:44 AM »
I recently watched Black Labels "Blackout" video and was kind of annoyed by how many tricks/clips they ruined by drowning them with the black and white filter. I get that it's the aesthetic they were going for but they should have at least replayed the clips without filters as well.

Here is an example https://youtu.be/mFu86j5KIpk?t=26s

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 06:43:54 AM »
maybe not a popular opinion and I know it might sound pretty fucked given the impossible shit that goes down in them, but Nike, Converse, Adidas, and to a lesser (but increasing) extent Vans shoes on a skaters' feet just ruin most clips to me; not trying to cause any controversy here, it just naturally does, to me. I just can't help but not unsee the overly blatant, gross promotion; now of course skateboarding is an industry and sponsorship is all about advertising and yadda yadda... but there is something so unsubtle about those situations, to me they always convey the feel that I'm watching a commercial rather than a skate video. and yes, of course most skate videos are commercials - I don't think I need to be schooled on that shit - but the thing is, even as such, I feel like they only work when they actually make you want to skate. I'm not interested in a mere display of product on some generic superhero's feet like the guy's skating is some kind of obvious shop window (something I find almost degrading for the skater in itself); I only get stoked on videos were the actual skating is the focus, and I just naturally stop feeling that way as soon as I'm submerged with swooshes and stripes. although, that mechanism doesn't seem to apply whenever the skater looks like he's genuinely wearing the shoes, ie. they're beat up or the guy looks like he's just wearing whatever with no contractual obligations (so, mostly unsponsored dudes). or if it's Quim Cardona, Paulo Diaz or Jahmal Williams in 1998. growing up in an era where the skateboarding industry was still very much of a skaters' thing and the big corporations were more or less completely out of it, I guess I still kept a certain knack for skating that looks or feels 'untouched'.

now don't get me wrong, I'll appreciate everybody's talent on a board and achievements regardless of their sponsors' logo and I tend to just mentally strip the skater down to their silhouette anyway, in order to appreciate what they're physically doing. but Nike, Adidas, Converse, and Vans logos somehow persist as something that soils and taints skate footage to me. sorry not sorry...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:46:46 AM by silhouette »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 06:46:17 AM »
maybe not a popular opinion and I know it might sound pretty fucked given the impossible shit that goes down in them, but Nike, Converse, Adidas, and to a lesser (but increasing) extent Vans shoes on a skaters' feet just ruin most clips to me; not trying to cause any controversy here, it just naturally does, to me. I just can't help but not unsee the overly blatant, gross promotion; now of course skateboarding is an industry and sponsorship is all about advertising and yadda yadda... but there is something so unsubtle about those situations, to me they always convey the feel that I'm watching a commercial rather than a skate video. and yes, of course most skate videos are commercials - I don't think I need to be schooled on that shit - but the thing is, even as such, I feel like they only work when they actually make you want to skate. I'm not interested in a mere display of product on some generic superhero's feet like the guy's skating is some kind of obvious shop window (something I find almost degrading for the skater in itself); I only get stoked on videos were the actual skating is the focus, and I just naturally stop feeling that way as soon as I'm submerged with swooshes and stripes. although, that mechanism doesn't seem to apply whenever the skater looks like he's genuinely wearing the shoes, ie. they're beat up or the guy looks like he's just wearing whatever with no contractual obligations (so, mostly unsponsored dudes). or if it's Quim Cardona, Paulo Diaz or Jahmal Williams in 1998. growing up in an era where the skateboarding industry was still very much of a skaters' thing and the big corporations were more or less completely out of it, I guess I still kept a certain knack for skating that looks or feels 'untouched'.

now don't get me wrong, I'll appreciate everybody's talent on a board and achievements regardless of their sponsors' logo and I tend to just mentally strip down the skater to their silhouette anyway, in order to appreciate what they're physically doing. but Nike, Adidas, Converse, and Vans logos somehow persist as something that soils and taints skate footage to me. sorry not sorry...

Just don't look at their feet.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 06:48:48 AM »
an ugly shitty push
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ungzilla

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 06:55:18 AM »
don't run your hand through your hair between tricks. allowed if you have legitimate wizard locks that are blocking you from seeing your feet... but then that also kinda ruins the clip, get a haircut

tl;dr: i'm jealous of their thick full heads of hair

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 06:57:58 AM »
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 07:10:13 AM »
The post trick hug session is really starting to get cringe-worthy.

Also, the "OH MY GOD" after EVERY trick in EVERY video part.

Or the chase them down the street after they ride off into the sunset. This shit gives me second hand embarrassment.

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 07:15:12 AM »
For flatground tricks in lines, I hate it when ppl do the trick and then push immediately after without riding it out for a bit. Even worse is if they do it going slow and then immediately push a lot to do the next thing (usually a gap that requires speed). It's like saying "I can't do that trick going fast but I hope you don't mind."

Yo how is Leo Romero so awful at pushing when he is one of the best street skaters of all time?

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 07:30:25 AM »
TY Evans

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 07:32:40 AM »
For flatground tricks in lines, I hate it when ppl do the trick and then push immediately after without riding it out for a bit. Even worse is if they do it going slow and then immediately push a lot to do the next thing (usually a gap that requires speed). It's like saying "I can't do that trick going fast but I hope you don't mind."

Yo how is Leo Romero so awful at pushing when he is one of the best street skaters of all time?

on a vaguely related note i do enjoy when people do that accidental push (usually when turning) on the wrong side of their board

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 07:47:29 AM »
A trick on a tall ledge and the skater touches it as they land or come off. It was something I used to do as a kid and now when I see someone else do it I'm so grossed out. And sort of wall touching on a wallride cancels it. When you see them setting up for a playground trick but then the clip ends you are just like damn, shoulda done the line. Ear buds. Shitty music playing in the background. So much can go wrong.
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Statebird

• Rep: 46
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 07:53:32 AM »
pushing away down the street after a trick and shake junt grip

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »
Post-ender mean mugging. Sure you don’t give a fuck...
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

pizza bitch

• Rep: 129
  • mhmmmmmmmm
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »
Can't stand the safety hand thing

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »
T-Rex arms. And swamp ass footage. I don't know how filmers don't just say, "You're doing a great kickflip but all we can see is ass sweat. Let's go shopping so you can buy some nice new pants. It's on me."

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
I get swamp ass sitting at work

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »
T-Rex arms. And swamp ass footage. I don't know how filmers don't just say, "You're doing a great kickflip but all we can see is ass sweat. Let's go shopping so you can buy some nice new pants. It's on me."

maybe they would if the three quarters of them were actually getting paid...

fulloffact

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 08:34:32 AM »
The post trick hug session is really starting to get cringe-worthy.

Also, the "OH MY GOD" after EVERY trick in EVERY video part.

Or the chase them down the street after they ride off into the sunset. This shit gives me second hand embarrassment.
I second these as well as the bullshit artsy photo taking/guitar playing shots in between clips.