Author Topic: Skateboard industry are fuckin' frat bros  (Read 15833 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Skateboard industry are fuckin' frat bros
« on: May 16, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
Recently SLAP has been filled with threads about controversies in skateboarding: nazism, domestic violence, and other horrific shit has been discussed, and interestingly, has had no effect on anything.
The only notable response from the industry has been to delete and censor any information that exposes their riders. The only direct responses to things like Jason Jessee being an open and vocal nazi are the industry bros getting his back and acting like he is fighting cancer or some shit like that.

So let's put this in perspective.

Peter Hewitt lost his nike sponsorship for letting his friend shit on celophane on his face, but both Jason Jessee and Daryl Angel still get a pay check despite doing horrific shit.

From everything I've heard, Auby Taylor was shit on and spit out of his sponsorships by both Krooked and that corporate pants company (was it dickies?), and from all reports I've heard, it was because he has autism and they couldn't handle that. But you know what they could handle? Tony Trujillo beating up his teammate's girlfriend. In fact, they had any discussion of it, including the woman who came forward's perspective deleted.

What it all comes down to is that the industry itself is a bunch of bros who will gladly excuse racism, mysogyny and violence against women as long as you are their friend. This is EXACTLY how fraternities work.
If you get along with the bros, you can be a total pile of shit.
If you don't get along with the bros, it doesn't matter, you are out.

So who are some others who got kicked off of teams for reasons far smaller than beating women and being an outspoken nazi?

I'll restate mine to get the list going:

Auby Taylor, kicked off Krooked for literally having a social disorder
Peter Hewitt, kicked off Nike for experimenting with poop as a child

Alright....GO.

Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

AreYouHarvinFun?

• Rep: 3
Re: Skateboard industry are fuckin' frat bros
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
That Tribalism is a bad muhhfucka!

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
Isn't it illegal to fire someone for having autism?
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 12:53:08 PM »
Danny Way and the industry turned their backs on Josh Swindell after he killed Keith Ogden.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
Isn't it illegal to fire someone for having autism?

pro skaters are independent contractors
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »
I think you are grossly oversimplifying the Auby Taylor scenario.

I wish there were more examples of skate brands kicking people off for racism, domestic violence, etc. because I honestly don't think there are any.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
Adam Alfredo stole the u2 iPod

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »
For comparison sake someone post reasons why skaters have been blackballed from thrasher or other companies in general.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
Andrew Langi for stealing Nick Merlino's laptop. Not sure if this was the reason he seemed to have gotten blacklisted, but its very coincidental that it all went downhill from there.

Also not a small reason but Keelan Dadd and Scumbag, they absolutely deserve to be shunned.

I bet 10k a month from a board company sounds good to him right about now.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:23:56 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »
Forrest never really having a long time sponsor because he's "hard to work with" always struck me as odd because I feel like a lot of companies are full of obnoxious weirdos.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »

I wish there were more examples of skate brands kicking people off for racism, domestic violence, etc. because I honestly don't think there are any.

Duffel lost a few sponsors when that Big Brother interview came out. I'm glad he grew up. Can't think of any others.

Also I can't believe Dadd wouldn't have been satisfied with $100K US a year. How greedy can you get.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 01:27:08 PM »
Forrest never really having a long time sponsor because he's "hard to work with" always struck me as odd because I feel like a lot of companies are full of obnoxious weirdos.

This is a big reason minority groups don’t speak up about the shit they see in the scene.

fulloffact

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »

Forrest can't get on because he's "hard to work with" and black. It seems like every decent black dude in the industry has to play the game harder than anyone else aka COON out.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »
Forrest is hard to work with but Andy Roy on the other hand keeps getting on teams.

fulloffact

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 01:39:46 PM »
"Fuck Antwaun, Darrell, Forrest, and Keelan"-The industry

"Cory's sorry for what he did and doesn't deserve to go to prison"-The industry

midevilco

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
Totally needed a new thread for the same subjects.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:18 PM »
Forrest is hard to work with but Andy Roy on the other hand keeps getting on teams.

What is the last team Andy Roy was put on? Not disagreeing with you just curious about what company is dumb enough to put him on in recent times.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Tim Von Werne.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Duffel lost a few sponsors when that Big Brother interview came out. I'm glad he grew up. Can't think of any others.

Also I can't believe Dadd wouldn't have been satisfied with $100K US a year. How greedy can you get.

Duffel is a good call, but I think he was only really flow for Emerica and Zero at that point and he definitely wasn't an established name.

Tim Von Werne.

This one is still pretty disgusting.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What is the last team Andy Roy was put on? Not disagreeing with you just curious about what company is dumb enough to put him on in recent times.

anti hero

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 01:49:57 PM »
Skateboard industry are fuckin' frat bros

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »
Recently SLAP has been filled with threads about controversies in skateboarding: nazism, domestic violence, and other horrific shit has been discussed, and interestingly, has had no effect on anything.
The only notable response from the industry has been to delete and censor any information that exposes their riders. The only direct responses to things like Jason Jessee being an open and vocal nazi are the industry bros getting his back and acting like he is fighting cancer or some shit like that.

So let's put this in perspective.

Peter Hewitt lost his nike sponsorship for letting his friend shit on celophane on his face, but both Jason Jessee and Daryl Angel still get a pay check despite doing horrific shit.

From everything I've heard, Auby Taylor was shit on and spit out of his sponsorships by both Krooked and that corporate pants company (was it dickies?), and from all reports I've heard, it was because he has autism and they couldn't handle that. But you know what they could handle? Tony Trujillo beating up his teammate's girlfriend. In fact, they had any discussion of it, including the woman who came forward's perspective deleted.

What it all comes down to is that the industry itself is a bunch of bros who will gladly excuse racism, mysogyny and violence against women as long as you are their friend. This is EXACTLY how fraternities work.
If you get along with the bros, you can be a total pile of shit.
If you don't get along with the bros, it doesn't matter, you are out.

So who are some others who got kicked off of teams for reasons far smaller than beating women and being an outspoken nazi?

I'll restate mine to get the list going:

Auby Taylor, kicked off Krooked for literally having a social disorder
Peter Hewitt, kicked off Nike for experimenting with poop as a child

Alright....GO.

Tony got beat up by her dude. She got it in a couple times and I think she even beat on him in front of his kids. He poosy and even his kids know it. #tonycantfightforshit

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
Totally needed a new thread for the same subjects.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »
Teams should be made up of virtuous people who don't get along with each other!

cancelled

• Rep: -26
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »
Peter Hewitt lost his nike sponsorship for letting his friend shit on celophane on his face

do what?

I.C. Weiner

• Rep: -7
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Peter Hewitt lost his nike sponsorship for letting his friend shit on celophane on his face
[close]

do what?

it's called a glass bottom boat. don't knock it til you try it

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »
Sean Young for being strung out on heyron
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 03:48:31 PM »
Tim Von Werne.

Around the time Saturdays came out Thrasher did a birdhouse rider timeline with little quotes about the riders next to Tim's it just said "What really happened?"

Also Jeremy Wray got dropped by DLX because Jonas left to skate for a homie company so they dropped Jeremy from Thunder(?) and Spitfire. Jeremy also was banned from thrasher for riding for a brand that Fausto was in competition with and only got re accepted because he did the gnarliest gap of all time. I know its said a lot but Jeremy has been done dirty by the industry countless times. When he got called up to be informed he was done at Element the guy was laughing while he told him.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »
Tony Hawk actually commented on that in his CBI interview somewhat recently.

Well, another source of recent controversy has been Tim Von Werne’s dismissal from Birdhouse, possibly because of his sexuality? Care to comment?

Let me try to explain this.

This is back when I was doing guest editor issues of Skateboarder Magazine. I knew that Tim was gay and figured that it could be an amazing article to have him come out to the industry in the magazine. This is right around when we were gearing up to start doing The End.

We’d talked to Tim about doing the piece and while he was a little hesitant, he was down. So we do the article where he essentially comes out and we’re in the process of putting it in a future issue of the magazine… I just don’t think I realized the gravity of the article in terms of someone’s life experience and being gay.

I don’t want to throw anybody under the bus here but our team manager at the time, you might be able to figure out who that was, found out about the article and freaked out. He calls me up and says, “What the fuck are you doing!?!”

“I’m doing an interesting article about a skater who happens to be gay.”

“If you do that, I’m going to quit and take the whole team with me.”

Basically, he began threatening to steal my team because of this article. In hindsight, I don’t think that it would’ve actually happened, but at the time, it was a pretty heavy threat for me as a company owner. I had put so much of my resources into the team and we had all these plans around this big video we were about to start working on… I had to make the executive decision to kill the article.

You can call that selfish if you want but it felt like a very real threat to me at the time. And while it was an interesting article, I didn’t realize the weight of the situation. While I obviously support the cause, I wasn’t sure if I was the right person to be championing gay rights in skating… if that makes sense. I underestimated how it would resonate within the industry or how it would affect Tim. He’s the one who I really feel the worst for in all of this.

But I did call Tim and tell him straight-up what was happening. He wasn’t surprised by any of it.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought was going to happen. I was trying to warn you about all of this when the article was first brought up.”

He was super cool about it. I guess I just didn’t listen in the beginning. But after all that, he obviously didn’t want to be on the same team with someone who possibly felt so homophobic about the whole thing… which is another bummer, because I feel like other riders get some of the blame in this when it really was the actions of this one person.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 03:57:03 PM »
http://www.huckmagazine.com/perspectives/reportage-2/gay-skaters/

This is another good article interviewing him. All in all i'm glad life worked out well for him. Hes a scientist now and married for 10+ years.