Author Topic: COFFEE BREAK with the STATE Keys. Salem, and Albany  (Read 2527 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
COFFEE BREAK with the STATE Keys. Salem, and Albany
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
COFFEE BREAK WITH THE STATE KEYS, SALEM, and ALBANY

Ever since it was announced STATE was going to be giving guys like Coakley, Nguyen, Maalouf, and other "how does [insert 'underground' skater name here'] not have a shoe sponsor, the conscious skate consumer in each of us can't deny we've at least wanted to give the fledgling skate shoe brand a shot.  So, here's an attempt to take a look at how their vulcs compare to the some standard-issue Vans. 

Salem / Albany

Keys

Toe Shape

The Salem is built similar to a Nike Blazer or an Adidas Matchcourt, with the classic round toe and arched stitching. The fit is roomy in the toe and fits well on a wide foot. Whereas the Albany has a pointier toe with a shallower toe bed.  I tend to like a more form-fitting shoe, so I like the fit of the Albany better. 

Salem

Albany

Albany / Salem

Salem / Albany

The toe of the Keys is similar to the Albany toe.  When compared to a the toe of a Vans Slip-On Pro, the Keys toe is pointer and have more of a cupsole-style toe than the usual flatter-wider slip on vulc toe.

Slip On Pro
_
Keys

Sidewalls

The sidewalls of the Salem Killing Floor obviously stand out because they have the ollie guard/patch.  The patch itself is pretty thick and the rubber is grippy.  I'm not really a fan of the ollie guard look, but if you are, they will definitely hold up as intended. 

The sidewalls of the Albany is similar to most vulcs.  The lines are clean and the seam is beefy enough to keep from blowing out in one session

The sidewalls of the Keys are also similar to most vulcs, but they do feature what appears to be an additional layer of foxing (black) just above the vulc area.  To me, this is more effective than an ollie patch in taking some extra wear before you get to the suede. 

Collar, Heel Lock, Height, Insole

The Keys stick out from the classic slip-on because the shoe comes up higher on your foot, which both gives the sides of your feet a little more protection from the board and also provides a more sock-like fit than the usual slip-on.  The higher heel also provides some extra heel lock, which most slip-ons can use (in my opinion as someone who cant stand it when my heel moves in a shoe). 

The collar of the Keys is wider than most slip-ons, but again, the fact the shoe comes up highe on the foot keeps it fitted to your foot.

The Albany height is similar to a most mids (i.e. Vans Half Cab). 

The Salem height is similar to a Blazer or Matchcourt.

The Salem Killing floor features some cool insole artwork and the collar is pretty standard stuff.

The collar for the Albany is a little bit bulkier and softer which makes it comfortable where it sits just at or below your ankle bone

The Sole

The State soles are thicker in high-wear spots. 

The Insole

Regular State insole / Salem - Killing Floor Insole

The State insoles are very comfortable and well made. Definitely a step above most skate insoles. They arent as thick as a Vans Ultralite or the old Lunarlon insoles, but they also provide more protection than the ol' cardboard inserts of other brands' vulcs.

Adidas Busenitz Pro / Nike Air Zoom / Vans Ultralite / State

Final Thoughts

Don't mistake the lack of description as a lack of interest or quality.  State shoes are no-nonsense vulcs which are made well and are not over-priced.  There's really not a whole lot more to say than that.  So, if you're looking for an alternative to the sports-brands, it's cool to have a quality option with a rad team.  Would love to see their approach to a no-nonsense cupsole. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:25:14 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

ungzilla

Re: COFFEE BREAK with the STATE Keys. Salem, and Albany
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »
i appreciate you

overall: heel lock better in vans (pro) or keys?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:27:16 PM by ungzilla »

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:37 PM »
i appreciate you

overall: heel lock better in vans (pro) or keys?

classic Vans slip on (canvas) > Keys > Vans Slip-On Pro

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
:thumbsup:

Been breaking in a pair or state hudsons (only after I realized I need/want mids).

jc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -73
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »
how's the fit on the slip ons? true to size? i usually wear an 8.5 in cons and 9-9.5 in other brands.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
true to size for me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
I'm lining up the salems against normal blazers......

So far:

Salem: stiff and feel kinda thin.....not sub par but just ok.  Pros: the side panel and toe lasted really well...broke in nicely.  Lasted longer than I thought.  Sole was soft enough for board feel but lasted well. 

Blazer: softer out of box...more padded out too.  Cons: that weird extra suede panel it gets damaged right away.  Suede I think is softer and less durable. Swoosh gets trashed too. 

Verdict:  for the price: Salem.  Blazers are good shoes though, I like how they look.  You incessantly have to listen to people.....'oh....Nike?' 

I skated the match court too but the toe cap makes the shoe so different. 

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 112
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »
Nice review.
Enjoy your life.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »
how's the fit on the slip ons? true to size? i usually wear an 8.5 in cons and 9-9.5 in other brands.
Completely true to size. Nice snug fit for a slip on.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 11:55:12 PM »
im about finished skating my salem killing floors they have been great  a bit floppy in the toe as described.The slip on keys are great i recommend them over any other slip on and ive had em all. You can find em on sale pretty easily
State makes good shoes im about to get a pair of harlems.
Hope these guys can stick around for a while ill keep buying there shit

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »
have some Madisons, great shoes, awesome insoles, kinda like a really well-made vans pro. Pebbles getting stuck in the grip are a bitch though!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »
I've skated through 3 sets of State shoes so far and they've all been great. They're not really bringing anything new to the table, but it seems pretty clear that it wasn't their intention to do that. The only thing that bugs me, and I'm not sure about these mid tops because I haven't seen them in person, is that they don't have tongue centering straps in their shoes.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 03:21:18 AM »
the harlem's are interesting...anyone on here know if they fit like Vans Old Skool Pro's or CTAS lows?

price can't be beat and they look nice. definitely trying the slip-on this upcoming paycheck.

thebacker

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
Skated my Salem’s for 2+ months and now my homie is skating them. After some shoe goo on the ollie patch spot (I didn’t have the killing floor ones) they show no sign of giving out anytime soon

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 08:28:46 AM »
The Elgins I had were fucking great. Going to pick up some Keys this week.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 05:49:42 AM »
I've been skating in the Magenta x State Albany's (to be released this summer; but visuals have been online for six months already) for over a month now, on a daily basis (literally; I don't think I've skated this much since I was 18), and like all State shoes I've had it's been holding up super well. no ollie hole (barely even marks), outsole is still perfect. feet are just starting to feel a little looser in the shoes for some reason but that's pretty much the only way I can tell I've been skating in them. I'm curious to see how long I can make them last still. some people have been telling me the shoe looked like State's response to the Chukka mid top, although to me they don't really feel like Chukka's. they are super light on the foot, with just right of a snug fit (which I enjoy for flip tricks) and generally skate super well.

in general I like that most State shoes (from my experience) can be skated right out of the box, yet won't sacrifice durability for board feel. they use this technology where once you manage to get through the top layer of the shoe, you reach an indestructible rubbery layer underneath that will endure all the ollies and protect your socks and feet. consequently the same pair of shoes lasts a while until you make it through the outsole (but you'll probably be tired of skating in the same shoes before you do get there). the insoles are incredible and super comfortable too.

before the Albany's I was skating in the Mercers which everybody at first sight calls the State Half-Cab. it was a brillant shoe, really felt a lot less bulky and cumbersome than it looked at first (and than actual modern Half-Cabs), and a treat to skate in; I wish I didn't ruin my pair exploring the flooded Paris catacombs in them, because I definitely could have gotten two extra weeks of skating out of it. they were basically functional tanks.

that's for my experience with State mid tops. now if you're interested in low tops, here's my personal top three, starting with my number one: Elgins > Madisons (actually very similar to the Elgins, but the Elgins look and feel more simple if that makes sense) > Hudsons (perform really well, but I found them to be slightly worse than the aforementioned two models durability-wise)

just for transparency's sake, I do get shoes from State, but I'm the one who went out of my way to ask for more after I was given a pair of Madisons and loved them. I don't get paid, I'm genuinely into the product (from a skater's perspective; I was never into shoes in general to begin with, I actually find them pretty dumb) so if you have a question regarding certain models and I've skated them, I can let you know what my experience was like.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »
the harlem's are interesting...anyone on here know if they fit like Vans Old Skool Pro's or CTAS lows?

price can't be beat and they look nice. definitely trying the slip-on this upcoming paycheck.
They fit closer to old schools, and bit wider in the toe than cons

ungzilla

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 07:24:57 AM »
well i ordered some of the grey/white slip ons, mostly because they look sick, but also i blame everyone in here

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
well i ordered some of the grey/white slip ons, mostly because they look sick, but also i blame everyone in here
Blame now, thank us once they arrive. I haven't shared anything but States this past year. Love the insoles, fit, durability. Soles pick up little pebbles of course, but they group will too.