Author Topic: Frontside Tailslides  (Read 10107 times)

poowizard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
Re: Frontside Tailslides
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »
Oh man. Hella front tail love here. They are a heavy part of my bag and ol' trusty for sure. Whenever I traveled to skate somewhere I would find myself getting stuck in tailslide mode sometimes. I would find myself in a place wanting to get a clip but not wanting to get hurt and voila, another tailslide. Ha.

Love em any which way you can dish em out. But nowadays they feel best on the 4 foot mini ramp up the street in my friends backyard.

Battery Aziz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »
Regular on tranny/banks
Switch on ledges/street <3

jstankalwara

• Rep: -13
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
ah such a fun ass trick tried the backside kind the other day for the first time in ages, before i die i will learn back tails

IHOP

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm great at stopping dead on this one....
[close]

i feel you

Yea same here, I always stick, anybody pinpointed this yet?  I feel like im leaning too in/not on top enough, but thats how I do back tails and it works great.  Feel like a kook waxing the wheel part of the ledge so I dont stick.

shark tits

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm great at stopping dead on this one....
[close]

i feel you
[close]

Yea same here, I always stick, anybody pinpointed this yet?  I feel like im leaning too in/not on top enough, but thats how I do back tails and it works great.  Feel like a kook waxing the wheel part of the ledge so I dont stick.
push it to fakie and you'll slide every time.
you're sposedta wax the wheel part. waxing just the top is like sucking a dick and not cupping the balls.
cup the balls, ihop!

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 11:29:21 AM »
They’re pretty on/off for me but on those days I got em, I got em good.

Anyone got any tips for front tail 270 out?

IHOP

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »

Still got some vibes leftover from the chill thread, but I would rather not see this trick, reminds me of snowboarders.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
are you supposed to lean into them? i usually try to stand there and hope that it slides. for back tails, i have the tendency to lean because makes sense to push it, but how do you do that for frontside without slipping out? most of the time my heel drags so i can't figure it out

Not Local

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 11:57:35 AM »
I can only really do them on banks and tranny but agreed, they feel so good, especially when you get a little pop upon reentry.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2018, 03:26:05 PM »
someone mentioned in the insights thread that you should aim ahead on the obstacle for slides and grinds. that definitely holds true for front tails. it helped me to start landing this more consistently and I’m in my late 30s.

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
are you supposed to lean into them? i usually try to stand there and hope that it slides. for back tails, i have the tendency to lean because makes sense to push it, but how do you do that for frontside without slipping out? most of the time my heel drags so i can't figure it out

I'd say standing on top of it with your weight is the way to do it. Your heel drags because you're probably hitting it at an angle, which a lot of people do. I think that's wrong. Come at it straight on, completely parallel and focus more on just sliding your front foot and getting a good pop. That will get you a good lock in. As for holding it, that's just doing it a shit load of times and getting comfortable I suppose. I haven't had the desire to do a tailslide longer than my local park ledge, so I only realistically slide them 2-4 ft most of the time. 

Best fs tail combo:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:40:03 PM by Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind »

TreBombMartin

• Rep: 31
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »

Can frontside tail to regs and fakie but much prefer backside tails. A kid at my local park was doing really good front tail 270s I complimented him on the trick and he said he got really good at nollie cabs on flat(not slap approved I know but you know what I mean) then that trick came to him really easy afterwards. Never helped me but maybe you can take something from it

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2018, 05:07:29 PM »
I know how to at all it all day but every time one gets to sliding I end up on my ass from leaning back too much? Wish I could dial it in. But it's a go to for banks and quarters. Backside on banks and quarters isn't very hard but I've never done a legit one in the streets but done a kickflip in on many a curb.

On an unrelated note, shoutout to inwall ledges, you give me the power. My best ledge tricks have been performed on you probably. Fakie switch front nose can go down
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »
Frontside tailslides were the first slide I learned after boardslides. Took me a while to get it sliding, but when I did, I got 'em proper. Sometimes I think doing them to fakie is the easy way out if you don't look like you are in control of it. Heath and Tom K have the best ones in my opinion. My homie can do them both ways and make them look good, but I kinda force mine and they always end up back to regular.

shark tits

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 05:14:28 PM »
I know how to at all it all day but every time one gets to sliding I end up on my ass from leaning back too much? Wish I could dial it in. But it's a go to for banks and quarters. Backside on banks and quarters isn't very hard but I've never done a legit one in the streets but done a kickflip in on many a curb.

On an unrelated note, shoutout to inwall ledges, you give me the power. My best ledge tricks have been performed on you probably. Fakie switch front nose can go down
fakie ollie bs tailslide. get it straight, ride krooked

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
really fun one too, feet orgasm when it goes to crook

anon

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2018, 08:50:58 PM »
makes more sense to call it switch front nose because you look over your back shoulder. or fakie front tail because it's a front tail sliding backwards

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
you got it wrong, kid, we're talking about the other one^^

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 09:40:57 PM »
When you really have tail slides down coming out fakie or regular is just a matter of choice, neither way out is harder than the other. Landing fakie at speed feels better; sort of a little more out of control feeling I guess. Rolling away backwards is fun.

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
Expand Quote
someone mentioned in the insights thread that you should aim ahead on the obstacle for slides and grinds. that definitely holds true for front tails. it helped me to start landing this more consistently and I’m in my late 30s.
[close]
come to think of it, that's how i do back tails. i guess since i can see the obstacle right in front of me for front tails, i tend to aim for that spot instead of ahead

Expand Quote
I'd say standing on top of it with your weight is the way to do it. Your heel drags because you're probably hitting it at an angle, which a lot of people do. I think that's wrong. Come at it straight on, completely parallel and focus more on just sliding your front foot and getting a good pop. That will get you a good lock in. As for holding it, that's just doing it a shit load of times and getting comfortable I suppose. I haven't had the desire to do a tailslide longer than my local park ledge, so I only realistically slide them 2-4 ft most of the time. 

Best fs tail combo:

[close]
i've gone back and forth between coming at an angle and being parallel. for whatever reason, i always struggle turning frontside 90. my lower body turns and my upper body contorts, my arms are all stupid. i've done so many and still am not comfortable with the sliding
Concentrate really hard on sliding your front foot. And think of your shoulders in this scenario:

- Rolling up: shoulders parallel with ledge, board etc should be as well.
- Pop: At this point you should begin rotating your shoulders. Your end goal is to do a 90 with them and ultimately be shoulders forward while sliding.
- Sliding: Shoulders are turned 90 degrees, facing forward, you're sliding. All weight should be on tail at this point. Thinking about flexing my back foot and being a little lead foot helps me control while I'm sliding.
- Land: Transition your shoulders back to parallel with ledge, doesn't really matter at this point. If you've made it this far do whatever the fuck you want. Pretend you're Dylan Rieder 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:13:19 PM by Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind »

anon

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2018, 12:32:32 AM »
Concentrate really hard on sliding your front foot. And think of your shoulders in this scenario:

- Rolling up: shoulders parallel with ledge, board etc should be as well.
- Pop: At this point you should begin rotating your shoulders. Your end goal is to do a 90 with them and ultimately be shoulders forward while sliding.
- Sliding: Shoulders are turned 90 degrees, facing forward, you're sliding. All weight should be on tail at this point. Thinking about flexing my back foot and being a little lead foot helps me control while I'm sliding.
- Land: Transition your shoulders back to parallel with ledge, doesn't really matter at this point. If you've made it this far do whatever the fuck you want. Pretend you're Dylan Rieder
thanks for this. the way learned them was:
- ollie into 5-0
- turn into tail
that's probably why i have trouble rotating, since the 5-0 is more or less straight. i've also tried thinking of them as a lipslide but undershooting so as to land on the tail. that's scary because it's easy to over-rotate and slip backwards
i remember something about leaning into tailslides from this weekend buzz with josh kalis, but i guess that only applies to backside since most people recommend just standing there

at 12:41

you got it wrong, kid, we're talking about the other one^^
fakie ollie to switch frontside noseslide

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2018, 02:17:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
makes more sense to call it switch front nose because you look over your back shoulder. or fakie front tail because it's a front tail sliding backwards
NO

anon

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2018, 03:17:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
NO
frontside tailslide:
- approach obstacle such that you are facing it (frontside)
- frontside 90 ollie
- land on tail
- slide
fakie frontside tailside:
- fakie frontside 90 ollie
- land on tail
- slide backwards (otherwise known as fakie)

what's this?

why yes, that is in fact a fakie frontside 5-0. so what if you just turn a little bit?
a fakie backside tailslide, you say? okay

or:
fakie ollie -> switch frontside noseslide

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 758
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2018, 03:33:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
NO
[close]
frontside tailslide:
- frontside 90 ollie
- land on tail
- slide
fakie frontside tailside:
- fakie frontside 90 ollie
- land on tail
- slide backwards (otherwise known as fakie)

what's this?

why yes, that is in fact a fakie frontside 5-0. so what if you just turn a little bit?
a fakie backside tailslide, you say? okay

or:
fakie ollie -> switch frontside noseslide

i'd agree with you if i was still 12 and super technical about trick names, but now that this is a trick that i would actually be able to do i also think it should be called a fakie backside tailslide as it has more in common with a regular back tail than with a regular front tail (even though you roll up frontside). it's the same with lipslides, a fakie lipslide where you face the rail rolling up is a fakie back lip to me
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2018, 03:38:42 AM »
fakie back tail

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2018, 04:09:32 AM »
I really don’t give a shot about trick terminology.
But here we go...
What about fakie front crook? Would that not be a fakie bs suski if the case?
Dunno don’t care just curious?

I like the way heath does fs tails
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
that's why tricks names are inverse today, back in times.....a modern fsboardslide was a bsboardslide cause you have to a bs ollie to make them, same thing for noseslides etc....
and then nollies...all complicated inverse story ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:26:35 AM by the snake »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »
1) its a fakie back tail. That’s just what everybody calls them, don’t get too technical, just know everybody calls them fakie back tails and move on knowing the proper term to use if you want people to know what you mean
2) I’ve given these tips before somewhere on this board about sliding tailslides and swear they work: don’t lean back on top of your body, get on it with your body set like you are sitting in an invisible chair, knees bent, body over your thighs behind them.
Ankles are key: make sure you have them open, like your foot and shin should make an obtuse angle.

Do both of those things and you’ll find they slide like a dream
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
Just want to mention fakie back tails and Jeremy wray.
Gentleman ninja warlock

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »
1) its a fakie back tail. That’s just what everybody calls them, don’t get too technical, just know everybody calls them fakie back tails and move on knowing the proper term to use if you want people to know what you mean
2) I’ve given these tips before somewhere on this board about sliding tailslides and swear they work: don’t lean back on top of your body, get on it with your body set like you are sitting in an invisible chair, knees bent, body over your thighs behind them.
Ankles are key: make sure you have them open, like your foot and shin should make an obtuse angle.

Do both of those things and you’ll find they slide like a dream

Agree with these- I'd add having speed helps and learning to land softly. You don't need to smash your tail...

I always felt like I have to be able to easily clear the object, not like noseslides where you can cheat into higher stuff.

Learn on a curb if that helps, then move to those knee-high ledges.