Author Topic: Need help w/ new wheels  (Read 2930 times)

rEVOLVED

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Need help w/ new wheels
« on: May 19, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
Hey, guys. Trying to get back on a board after almost a decade break from serious skating. Used to love flip tricks on flat, ollies down large stair sets and some smaller stuff in the park. Now I'm looking for a board that can fulfill my current desire to cruise the neighborhood, get my ollie back to a good height, and just screw around with some basic tricks. Won't see a skatepark anytime soon, and I probably won't do anything with stairs or rails. I grabbed my old setup, which is 8.5 shop deck, Thunder Teams, and some mini logo 53mm 101a. Bearings are almost shot, but those wheels are way too small and hard for sidewalks and asphalt.

I'm thinking of getting a new deck between 8.5 and 9, probably popsicle shape, and upgrading the wheels and bearings. Trucks seem fine, and are either 147 or 149. My biggest concern is the wheels. I threw on some longboard wheels that were 65mm, and probably 78a. Definitely too big w/ no risers and a bit too soft, but they weren't that far off from what I need. I'm thinking something between 56 and 60, but I have no idea what durometer to grab. I will be doing mostly riding around town just to get a break from homework and my kids, but I definitely want to be able to regain some of my old tricks, and maybe hit a park by the time fall/winter rolls around here in AZ. Just want a comfortable and functional ride. Thanks in advance!

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
Re: Need help w/ new wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »
how do you feel about nazi sympathizers?
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

rEVOLVED

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »
how do you feel about nazi sympathizers?
Uhhhhh what? Did my post offend you in some way?

HangtenNoseblunt

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »
no not at all but there is some ~juicy drama~ going down in the sk8dustry and and the only wheels we can ethically purchase are 3D and they went out of business

rEVOLVED

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
no not at all but there is some ~juicy drama~ going down in the sk8dustry and and the only wheels we can ethically purchase are 3D and they went out of business

Well that's too bad. Let's just pretend we are past that drama and help me determine how I should spend my hard earned money when it comes to urethane.

HangtenNoseblunt

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »
i havent tried every wheel but liked ricta's clouds for just rolling around on they are soft and fast but dont slide well

rEVOLVED

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »
i havent tried every wheel but liked ricta's clouds for just rolling around on they are soft and fast but dont slide well
Thanks! I've been looking at those. Definitely curious about the 60mm 78a, but that seems pretty close to a longboard wheel. Then again, with a deck near 9 wide and risers, It might be a fun ride.

HangtenNoseblunt

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »
i dont think you need to go over 56mm

curbsmash

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:13:04 PM »
Rainskates makes great wheels in a range of durometers and they're utterly non-controversial.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
My vote goes to Bones ATF 56mm, those can handle any terrain and they’re fast.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rEVOLVED

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 03:18:53 PM »

Looked into those. 80a/56mm seems like a good combo. Not too soft to be fast?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try the Rough Riders, love mine (56mm), had 60mm ATFs before, feel softer.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
I’d say get some big F4s like 56 or 58 mm for rough streets. it may be a grittier ride than cruiser wheels but I think over time getting used to them is better for your skating. they will improve your boardfeel whereas soft wheels will dull it. personally I can’t deal with cruiser wheels. they feel too out of control at speed. I’m riding 56 mm F4s and they feel just right for street spots.

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »

I have the 54mm ATF on a similar set up and couldn't be happier

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 07:01:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Always held on to this belief because of gleaming the cube, but real world cruising scenarios softer wheels are gonna be faster.

nosneb

• Rep: 88
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 07:22:41 PM »
56mm Spitfire 80hd are pretty good for cruising around and keeping the setup “street” so you can flick some tricks without feeling like a full cruiser.

rEVOLVED

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
Thanks, y'all! Not as much love for the Ricta Clouds or anything in the OJ lineup as I expected. Which is totally fine. I don't now much, and I'm happy that ATF seems to come out as a good option. I'll look at Spitfire, too. Next up... bearings and decks!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »
Thanks, y'all! Not as much love for the Ricta Clouds or anything in the OJ lineup as I expected. Which is totally fine. I don't now much, and I'm happy that ATF seems to come out as a good option. I'll look at Spitfire, too. Next up... bearings and decks!

OJ Keyframes are awesome for what you need but they sponsor a nazi, so I'm not gonna buy those again. Ricta Clouds are awesome too. I've got the 60 mm ones on my big cruiser, but they're owned by NHS, just like OJ so they're guilty by association. Fuck nazis!

I've heard that the Bones rough riders are awesome and I'll be looking into those next when I need to update my cruiser wheels.

Spitfire 80HDs suck. They're slow.

I haven't been on terrain where hard wheels would be faster than my Keyframes so I have no idea what people are talking about saying soft wheels not being fast. Sure hard wheels are nicer on smooth terrain, but not because they're faster. Getting bigger hard wheels for rough terrain cruising isn't exactly wise IMO.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 10:52:00 PM »
I think all these wheels sound too soft to learn tricks on.....id go with a spitfire 99 or a bones 81b... Or take a chance on anything in a 92-97

Size....55 is good.  Yes it's a bit rougher but ollieing on some bouncy castle set up feels like shit.... Hard wheels are fun to powerslide too.....

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 758
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 04:01:41 AM »
i'd go with some big spitfire f4 99s, like 56-58mm or something
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 06:00:40 AM »
I have the Spitfire 80HD and they are dissapointing compared to all the other wheels that they have. You can do tricks but it's impossible to slide.

I would recommend you the OJ Keyframes or the mini logo A-cut 92A

thebacker

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »
SPITFIRE FORMULA FOUR
ANY SHAPE
ANY SIZE
ANY DURO

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
I've got 56mm Spitfire conicals, 99a. Perfect for rough east coast Canadian streets.

rEVOLVED

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »
I have the Spitfire 80HD and they are dissapointing compared to all the other wheels that they have. You can do tricks but it's impossible to slide.

I would recommend you the OJ Keyframes or the mini logo A-cut 92A

Those mini logos have a much lower price tag, which makes them tempting. And they have 58mm ones that are 90a, which I think sounds decent. Pretty big wheel, but 90 seems like a good durometer, yeah?

Maybe I skate different than most people, but I don't remember ever sliding that much in my experience of skateboarding. Why do people worry about a wheel's ability to slide so much?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
Power slides are super fun....plus....the slidability impact nose/ tail/blunt slides....

Someone tried those 92's and didn't like them....

rEVOLVED

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »
Power slides are super fun....plus....the slidability impact nose/ tail/blunt slides....

Someone tried those 92's and didn't like them....

Yeah, the more I looked, the more I realized I was downplaying the importance of wheel slide for all sorts of ledge and rail tricks. For me, I won't be doing those anytime too soon, and I think something slightly bigger and softer would make skateboarding more comfortable while I get back into it. I might be wrong, but I can't imagine pushing a 101a down my street right now. Just sounds miserable. Then again, my bearings suck right now.

nosneb

• Rep: 88
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 07:29:11 AM »
80hd are a all terrain cruiser wheel. Who is trying to do slides on these?!? I use these wheels to go get groceries or bomb some hills etc. not trying to lip slide or blunt slide ledges with cruiser wheels.

Mongoloid

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
Ignoring politics entirely, and sticking strictly to skating itself I'd recommend OJ's.

I started skating the street razors just prior to this whole "blow up", and I haven't been more satisfied with any set of wheels since I picked the board up again. You have to keep in mind that Thunders are naturally a low truck, so unless you wanna find yourself sticking due to wheelbite you wont wanna go for anything too large in size.

Not sure what kind of street terrain you'll be skating, but up here in the northeast US a lot of our spots are crust, so the 99a durometer seems to be a perfect fit as far as grip vs. firmness.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:00:32 AM by Mongoloid »