Author Topic: Axle nuts  (Read 2458 times)

brightsky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Axle nuts
« on: May 20, 2018, 04:45:14 PM »
I was checking my axle nuts before a ride, and one seemed a little loose. I went to tighten it, it just kept turning. Now I am trying to remove it and it is turning but not loosening. What could cause this and how can I fix it?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Axle nuts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 05:39:42 PM »
Sounds unfortunately like the threads are stripped. Either the truck axle threads (what trucks you running? They might be warrantied) or the nut. Did you notice any little spiral shavings of metal fall out anywhere? A pic would help.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:08:14 PM »
Yeah it’s most likely a stripped axel. You’ll want to use an axel rethreader and most likely replace the nut itself as well, as it could probably be stripped itself at this point. The setup maintenance thread has more info on one-off axel rethreaders if you don’t have a skate tool with one

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96268.0

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:51:52 PM »
Yeah it’s most likely a stripped axel. You’ll want to use an axel rethreader and most likely replace the nut itself as well, as it could probably be stripped itself at this point. The setup maintenance thread has more info on one-off axel rethreaders if you don’t have a skate tool with one

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96268.0

Wouldn't a thread/die tool be for thread ends that get mushed up during primos/grinds? If the threads in the middle of the axle stripped (if that's where the nut is spinning) there might not be enough diameter left to rethread. 

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:03:57 AM »
i've had some of these over the years and guess that's what you need

brightsky

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 03:12:34 AM »
I have a skate tool with a rethreader on it, but the main problem is that because of the stripped threads, I cannot remove the nut, any suggestions on methods to get it off?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 04:39:28 AM »
just deal with it lol atleast 3 of mine are threaded like how you describe

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 07:08:00 AM »
I like to put four washers on each wheel so the axle threads aren't exposed. Maybe consider trying this next time you set your board up. I've never had an issue with stripped/fucked up axle threads since I began using extra washers.

brightsky

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »
thanks for the tip man, ill be sure to do this in the future.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 05:14:28 PM »
I like to put four washers on each wheel so the axle threads aren't exposed. Maybe consider trying this next time you set your board up. I've never had an issue with stripped/fucked up axle threads since I began using extra washers.

Advice to live by.

As for your trucks, if they're stripped in the middle of the axle threads and the nut aint budging they may be a write off... unless you want to cut the nut off (which in all likelihood could kill any or all of the following: the wheel, the bearings in that wheel, and the axle itself). If they're not warrantied maybe just ride them til they die? But if they're DLX, Indy or Ace you might have a shot at replacements.

brightsky

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
With the exception of the deck itself, I kind of have a budget setup so I'll ride it till it dies. I was planning on replacing stuff soon anyway.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
Make the dudes at the skateshop fix it for you they love to do that.

Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:02 AM »

I've done this too forever and have never had an issue. Skatewarehouse has Mini-Logo brand washers on their site and they are a bit thicker than most; 2 packs of those and you're golden.

rikki

• Rep: 236
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 02:59:13 AM »
Oh man. Axle nut is just spinning and won't tighten or come off. Plus there's no room for a rethreader at the end of the axle.
At the risk of losing a good wheel and a Swiss bearing.

What to do? This is an old thread, but maybe someone has come up with some tips/experience in the meanwhile.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 03:15:31 AM »
Get some pliers and squeeze it as hard as you can while turning. Or use the nail remover side of a hammer and try to lever it up a bit (if not completely off)

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 104
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2023, 05:47:49 AM »
An Axel Nuts Crusher should fix it for good.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 06:29:51 AM »
I completely fucked an axle and nut once. I fixed it by using a little cut off wheel on my dremel to cut a notch through the nut then mangled it with pliers to open it up and pull it off.
I rethreaded the axel with a die tool, and those trucks worked great for another couple years until I retired them

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 07:48:39 AM »
Get some pliers and squeeze it as hard as you can while turning. Or use the nail remover side of a hammer and try to lever it up a bit (if not completely off)

this
and you might need a third hand

in some extreme cases, i would love to own a tool that can turn AND pull.

Just realized you can find pocket crowbars. it could work with a little remodeling of the nail remover side
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 08:27:29 AM by BALARGUE »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2023, 05:51:40 PM »
Oh man. Axle nut is just spinning and won't tighten or come off. Plus there's no room for a rethreader at the end of the axle.
At the risk of losing a good wheel and a Swiss bearing.

What to do? This is an old thread, but maybe someone has come up with some tips/experience in the meanwhile.

The best way to get this off is to pull the wheel up / outwards / away from the hanger as you spin the nut with a skate tool, so this will push the nut up onto another thread and maybe get it to bite and then come off.

Most of the time it is just the nut itself, occasionally it can be the hanger axle, but at least the nut is the softer metal and often more easy to manipulate through use of some force without smashing it or having to cut it off.

I had done this before by standing the board side on, feet sort of standing on and holding down the ground side wheel, then one hand pulling the upper side wheel upwards and the other slowly turning the nut with a skate tool, which worked and got the nut off, rethreaded and replaced with new nut and was good to go.

Might work, but also might not, depending on what was going on with your own setup.

Good luck!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

• Rep: 236
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2023, 12:26:51 AM »
Hey thanks for the tips guys. Sweated my shirt off yesterday trying all the mangling maneuvers, but no luck so far. Will try again with the added tips, but looks like I'm going to have to find a Dremel with a cutting blade -- thanks for that tip!

Been thinking of investing in a pro rethreader set anyhow, so that will come in handy if and hopefully when I get that little f*cker off the axle.