Author Topic: Do really good skaters watch more or less skate clips than us nerds on Slap?  (Read 1180 times)

Double Pegasus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Do you find that really good skaters you know/skate with watch more or less skate clips than us nerds on Slap?

shark tits

Do you find that really good skaters you know/skate with watch more or less skate clips than us nerds on Slap?
the older ones i would say less. gino was so out of touch he thought varial flips were 'in'.
for younger kids, the ones i know are all up on what's going on in instagram land. it's prolly a generational thing.
also, my theory is like a rapper might not listen to rap to avoid subconscious plagiarism, i'd guess a jake johnson or other unique trick selection type skaters prolly don't consume a lot of skate media.
all conjecture on my part.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
it really depends on the person. there definitely is all kinds of types. some of the best skaters I know are either super nerdy and know everything, have watched all the old stuff, maybe avoid most current clips but still watch the most prominent ones to stay up to date and keep up with the times; or don't watch jack shit besides, occasionally, the same Robbie Holmes part as they have for the past thirteen years.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
I think it all depends. They're just people like us except they happen to skate really well, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that it just varies based off personal preference.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

rEVOLVED

• Rep: 0
Classic "correlation does not imply causation." Plenty of great skaters watch allllll the clips. Plenty of terrible skaters do the same. From my limited experience, I like seeing what is possible on a skateboard. Watching someone wall ride somewhere where I would have kept rolling, or make a simple trick look ridiculous because of the architecture of the spot inspires me.

BOTTOM LINE, if you didn't go out and skate today, you didn't earn any time to watch skate clips.