Author Topic: Do ABD's affect your skating?  (Read 3796 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Do ABD's affect your skating?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
No, in fact I've worked years towards my goal of fully recreating the classic Carlos Ruiz part from Blind Skateboard's "What If?" for over a decade now.
[close]

I remember at one point in my life I could actually recreate Julio de la Cruz's part in Da Deal Is Dead for a short stint, I could do all the tricks. I actually considered refilming it shot to shot for a little bit but eventually figured I couldn't be bothered and it wouldn't be the best investment of my time. now I've lost the two thirds of those tricks and I kind of regret it
Remember when that website said they'd pay hella money to anybody who could recreate Guy's part in mouse? Not too surprised how it turned out.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:40 PM »
To all of the people on here who are unsponsored or arent looking to make a career out of skating(im assuming thats most of us), would a pro doing a trick at a certain spot stop you from trying it? what about another local doing that trick? personally ill take what i can get, but it does feel a little diminishing knowing someone else already did it before you.
If I could land some of the ABD that are in Pros parts I would be hyped beyond belief. As already stated, most of the shit you try at spots has been done anyway.

sharkbarf

• Rep: 1
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
Only if they have shake junt grip.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
“Not in this body.” - Salman Agah

Also, I've done an NBD at a spot, even filmed it. Did it matter to the rest of the skateboarding community, even in my town? Nope.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 09:16:16 PM »
All my tricks are NBDs, in the sense that I never land anything.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 10:02:59 PM »
All my tricks are NBDs, in the sense that I never land anything.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 01:57:13 AM »
Expand Quote
“Not in this body.” - Salman Agah
[close]

Also, I've done an NBD at a spot, even filmed it. Did it matter to the rest of the skateboarding community, even in my town? Nope.

I have very few NBD’s in my town but only one that anyone seems to care about / mentions to me.
Approaching 30 and only really skating consistently this year after two serious injuries makes me feel like I’m a few tricks / beers at the park away from being the old guy loving off the glory of that one trick.
I guess that the reason that people care about that one thing was because it was skating a well established spot in our scene in a way it hadn’t been skated. Probably also helped by it being one of about 3 tricks I’ve ever done that I’ve also got a photo and footage of.

Anyway, I don’t care about NBDs.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 02:14:33 AM »
Quite the opposite scenario, but a pro once came to the city I lived and filmed a pretty weak two trick line that culminated in a trick I had done years before. My dick felt a little bigger for a few weeks after seeing that.
A while back Danny Way came to my local park and shot a photo sequence of a trick I did 10 years prior, my dick felt like a goddamn Polaris missle.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 02:31:52 AM »
i got a few tricks down a 3 stair thats probably been abd by a kid way younger than me but im stoked as fuck

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »
Years ago I did a nose pick on a bank to ledge that I found out a dude sponsored by a local shop did years earlier. Last year I saw a part from a video a local board company put out and one of the dudes put the same trick in his part. I thought it was hilarious and was stoked.

I'm too old to care about nbds and all that though. I just like to have fun.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:02:38 AM by UselessAsshole »

Adolescent Death

• Rep: -5
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
I don't care. The way I see it is skateboard should be for you and you only so I don't worry about what some other dude is doing.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
Only way I don't try something I'm down for is if it's been done by a local. Don't think I'd ever be in the position of trying a trick a pro did, but I wouldn't care.

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »
Pretty sure every trick I do an ABD. I'm 43, a few people have told me that I kind of look like like Jamie Thomas, and yes...ISUCK.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »
Not really for pros, but we often mention ABD's within our circle over the years at our spots. Like if dude switch flipped into this bank in the dark 20 years ago, we should be able to kickflip into it today hahaha.