Author Topic: Zumiez hate/banter and go......  (Read 8715 times)

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: Zumiez hate/banter and go......
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
If you don't have a local shop and the mall zumiez is your only option, why wouldn't you just hit up socal skateshop or tactics for what you need? Those places have you know, actual skate rats there and a ton of product.
Fuck that middle of the mall garbage.

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
Strange stuff indeed these days. Defending long boarding, praise for zumiez, queefer banging dogs. What a time to be alive.

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »
every zumiez manager is a 27 year old dude who will finger a 17 year old without hesitation

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »
They are a corporate Trojan horse. Their board of directors use wall street business tactics to exploit a once seemingly independent art form.

Their yearly revenue is half a billion dollars.

zumiez has a few thousands employees,half of which are probably paid close to minimum wage and look at a skateboard like a hoola hoop.

I want to go on but there is no point u are amazing Mr champion long live zumiez fuck local shops I want psychologist to take my money for skateboards.

Viva la bam

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:47 PM »
There are 600 something zumiez("s?")... Imagine a world with zero.... Who would get the half a billion a year in sales?

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/company-officers/ZUMZ.O

Without these fifteen people the sk8 Industry would die... Alot of lil bois in lil towns would never have access to equipment : (

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
Kinda wanna go buy an obey shirt and some Jason Jesse sc/cons shoes RN tbh....

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2018, 01:23:44 PM »
I worked for Zumiez for a few years, and can assure it is a terrible company to give your money to.

I originally worked for a small chain of shops called Fast Forward, based in Texas and maybe ~15 stores. They had shops in malls, but they also sponsored locals at each location, which included a free deck and wheels per month, plus a great discount on everything else. They also brought in demos all the time and gave back to their communities. So even though they were technically a "mall shop" they did it right.

Zumiez bought out Fast Forward in 2004-ish. I had been a salaried co-manager at Fast Forward for a few years so I opted to stay when it got bought out, got the same pay and all that stuff. It was great for a bit, until they eventually fully unleashed their horrible business practices on us.

The worst part is the sales tactics. Their slogan or whatever you want to call it was literally "SELL AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN." They had pages upon pages of acronyms and clever sayings to remember to help you sell stuff, like "4 over the door" which meant anytime someone went in the dressing room, you were supposed to run around the store and grab 4 more items you thought they might like and throw them over the dressing room door to pressure them into buying more.

They have sales charts where you literally had to write down how much you sold every single hour and if you didn't meet the goal you would coached on what you were doing wrong. They wanted you to follow people around and hound them and show them stuff constantly as well.

They also had commission-based sales on purchases over $100. It's like 2% for $100-200, 3% for 200-300, and on, up to a 7% maximum I think.

Now I know how retail sales works and a lot of those things are just smart techniques to ensure your company is making money. And that's great. And if that's what you're all about, then have at it.

But every time you shop there you are giving your money to a company that only cares about selling as much as possible to everyone. And each of those sales is less money for the dude that actually gives a shit and started up a local skateshop to try and give back to the community. Yes, local shop dude wants to make a bunch of money too, but generally they do a much better job of fostering relationships with the local skaters and also try to have demos and contests and whatever. And since they're not tied down by stupid fucking corporate policies, they're also more likely to work with people on stuff and do little things like special order and whatnot. Not to mention you can usually also hang out in your local shop and watch skate videos without some fucking dude-bro employees bugging you constantly.

I could prob go on and on but I just realized this is stupid as fuck but I'm also not gonna delete everything I typed.

Bottom line is, Zumiez is not "eh whatever they have good sale items sometimes." They are helping to kill your local skateshops, and that's not a good thing.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2018, 01:10:03 AM »
kepner78 just described a nightmare. I've never seen a Zumies and have only heard bad things. I'm pretty sure from the anecdotal evidence I've read here that without shops like these Crailtap would've sunk years ago.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2018, 02:05:01 AM »

This is fighting words wtf is wrong with kooks

So this is my opinion you guys can fire away I wont give a shit

kinda seems like you're giving a shit  ::)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:09:51 AM by Seadramon »

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2018, 02:06:55 AM »
I openly shop at zumiez over my local.

At my local they judge everyone who walks in. At zumiez they don't know enough about anything to judge anyone, so I can shop in peace.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »
Last time I went to Zumiez I was wearing a TransWorld hat, and when an employee asked about it they were shocked to hear that there was another skateboarding magazine that wasn't Thrasher.

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2018, 08:34:59 AM »
i think the bulk of people paying for stuff at zumiez and skateboards in general are parents. They probably feel more comfortable going to some chain in the mall than going to the local shop
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2018, 10:43:35 AM »
Before I got the current full time gig, I would sticker lucky bearings for my buddy's LLC and it would go by freight to zumiez...

Additionally their HQ skatepark looks fun (although real skaters not youtube goons or chodes would probably get jail time or heavy fines for trespassing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHPC2v9ZWzM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZPd1sVpHyI

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair