Author Topic: Modus Bearings  (Read 7836 times)

rEVOLVED

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Modus Bearings
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:40:41 PM »
Been reading a lot about these guys online. Looking for something new that is a step up from reds. Modus ABEC 7 are super affordable this weekend through tactics. Anything I should know about these before buying, or should I look into other brands? I've heard some good stuff about Indy bearings, too. Looking to spend around $25.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Modus Bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:35:44 PM »
Got the blues coz everyone here said that they were really good. They're not bad, quite good, but I don't notice anything significantly different in terms of speed compared to similarly priced bearings such as indy blacks, bronson raws(yes they are more expensive) or reds. I'd say Indy blacks might be a bit faster, but likely not as durable.

They are however grease lubricated, which means that the lubrication is much thicker, felt like it never fully dissipated and the bearings were very quiet for a long time, almost felt like I was skating a softer wheel. Went away when I made the mistake of popping the shields, which is a terrible idea on grease lubricated bearings as dirt sticks onto the thicker grease much easier. All in all I'd say they're quite good but nothing game changing.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:25:54 AM »
Got the blues coz everyone here said that they were really good. They're not bad, quite good, but I don't notice anything significantly different in terms of speed compared to similarly priced bearings such as indy blacks, bronson raws(yes they are more expensive) or reds. I'd say Indy blacks might be a bit faster, but likely not as durable.

They are however grease lubricated, which means that the lubrication is much thicker, felt like it never fully dissipated and the bearings were very quiet for a long time, almost felt like I was skating a softer wheel. Went away when I made the mistake of popping the shields, which is a terrible idea on grease lubricated bearings as dirt sticks onto the thicker grease much easier. All in all I'd say they're quite good but nothing game changing.

I thought I was going crazy but I felt the same way, like my wheels felt softer. Might gasoline or acetone bath them and re lubricate with something thinner, because the softer wheel feeling fucks with me. Otherwise, I haven't had a real problem with them.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 02:53:02 PM »
I'm riding them since the beginning of the year and I'm happy with them.

I got them for 15-18 euros and I prefer them instead of the reds. I usually break bearings in less than 3 months, this modus are still rolling strong.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought I was going crazy but I felt the same way, like my wheels felt softer. Might gasoline or acetone bath them and re lubricate with something thinner, because the softer wheel feeling fucks with me. Otherwise, I haven't had a real problem with them.

Yeah I'm thinkin of doing that, currently just have them sitting around. I'm sure if you just skated through them it would eventually dissipate, might honestly just result in a way longer lasting bearing.

rEVOLVED

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »

What I don't understand about the blues is that they are more expensive than the ABEC 3, but don't have an ABEC rating. Not that I care that much, but why would I buy the blues over the 3s 5s or 7s?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What I don't understand about the blues is that they are more expensive than the ABEC 3, but don't have an ABEC rating. Not that I care that much, but why would I buy the blues over the 3s 5s or 7s?

No idea. The description on their website is identical for blacks, blues, abec 3 5 and 7s. Super vague. I'm a bit put off bearings with abec labels for some weird reason so I just went with the blues. I'm sure they're largely the same.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 12:35:20 AM »

I got them for 15-18 euros and I prefer them instead of the reds. I usually break bearings in less than 3 months, this modus are still rolling strong.

Yes someone like me! I broke a set of reds in almost 3 months, instead modus going strong for over and year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 01:58:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No idea. The description on their website is identical for blacks, blues, abec 3 5 and 7s. Super vague. I'm a bit put off bearings with abec labels for some weird reason so I just went with the blues. I'm sure they're largely the same.

I got the feeling that they themselves don't really know what they're selling when I asked them about their titanium bearings. Dude said that titanium will also rust, which is 100% nonsense. Can't say anything about the bearings cuz I haven't tried them yet, but they don't really seem to know what they're selling or are trying to be as vague as possible to avoid telling us that they're just the same as everything else.

Basic skateboarding. Facts are irrelevant, it's all magic and marketing!  :D

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 05:44:16 AM »
maybe its a titanium alloy im guessing

rEVOLVED

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 06:22:02 AM »
Do the blues come with spacers?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 07:27:11 AM »
Yep, snag the blues. Been skating them for almost a year and they are still rolling great.
Not to mention the team is way worth supporting.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
http://www.thewp-group.co.uk/iqs/dbitemid.500/rp.10/sfa.view/wpgroup_news.html

heres a explanation of grease and oil to use bearings. personally for skateboarding i think speed cream is the best. ive never used modus but usually heard good things about them mostly for the fact they have a lotta options and good prices.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »
Been reading a lot about these guys online. Looking for something new that is a step up from reds. Modus ABEC 7 are super affordable this weekend through tactics. Anything I should know about these before buying, or should I look into other brands? I've heard some good stuff about Indy bearings, too. Looking to spend around $25.

at the same time if wherever your buying from has bones might as well get the reds or super reds that are just $5 more at $30 than the reds which are usually under $20. theres literally no point in getting modus when you can get bones which have a much more reputable quality and durability.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

at the same time if wherever your buying from has bones might as well get the reds or super reds that are just $5 more at $30 than the reds which are usually under $20. theres literally no point in getting modus when you can get bones which have a much more reputable quality and durability.

Idk, some people understand the truth

Any bones that aren’t “Swiss” are China made and any China made bearings are 90% the same low quality bearing

Modus I heard we’re suppsedly one of the small few brands german made or just euro made, Ive been skating mine for 4-5 months now and they’re the best bearings I’ve ever had

I was hardcore on some super reds for a year but when I swapped damn did that put my China bones quality to shame, the modus were so fast and smooth, the roll was so consistent too in each push I didn’t have to push as much as super reds

I got so hooked I bought another 4 sets of modus

Of all the bearings I’ve ever tried modus fill the qualifications I wanted: fast, smooth, and long rolling

Shake junt have to be the worse, then the cheaper rush bearings, then China bones, and sadly my indy blacks gave out after 1 month (still fast but not a long roll and not smooth), indy 7 were my favorite cause they had something but broke easily

Everyone’s gonna back bones like indy

They’re both good brands just make sure you buy the right products that work for you than fall for the hype
yes

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
I've skated their Blues, Abec 7's, Titaniums and Ceramics. The ones I liked the best and stayed quiet and smooth the longest were actually the inexpensive Blues. The Blues are their latest model and on the newer boxes they state they are "Skate Rated" like Bones (whatever that really means) and that they use the same standard for manufacturing as Swiss bearings. They're probably made in China since they won't say where they're made but they're definitely a step up from most of those low-cost Chinese bearings every other brand is throwing their name on that just go to crap in a week. While Bones continues to make bearings I'll never switch to anything else permanently but if Bones ever went away Modus would definitely be my next choice. The grease lubrication takes a bit longer to break in but as previously stated it keeps them quiet and running smooth for a longer amount of time before they need maintenance. The only things I don't like about Modus is that you can't purchase the lubrication they use and they don't sell individual bearings and repair parts like Bones does. After I cleaned a set of Blues and lubed them with Speed Cream it was basically the same experience as Reds.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

There's grease out there; not sure for how much though. This dude uses SKF grease:
http://www.peterverdone.com/putting-a-skateboard-together-properly/

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »

None of the commonly used titanium alloys rust either. I'm thinking they're using steel with 0,1% titanium of some bullshit as they were not willing to tell me what alloy they're using or give me any more specifics, just a bunch of super vague answers, just like the descriptions on their website…

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 07:15:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

None of the commonly used titanium alloys rust either. I'm thinking they're using steel with 0,1% titanium of some bullshit as they were not willing to tell me what alloy they're using or give me any more specifics, just a bunch of super vague answers, just like the descriptions on their website…

thats likely the case, seems like a lot of skate companies pull that bs.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
Got a set of modus about 5-6 months back. They're alright, nothing too special, but they get the job done. I've broken one or two bearings in the time since I've gotten them but for the most part they're holding up alright. I was weirded out when I saw they were grease lubricated; it made them roll smooth and quiet longer but also made them feel kinda sluggish as well; the grease attracts more dirt and grime than oil does, lots of muck build up eventually happens, so be on the lookout for that if you have a set.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »
Got a set of modus about 5-6 months back. They're alright, nothing too special, but they get the job done. I've broken one or two bearings in the time since I've gotten them but for the most part they're holding up alright. I was weirded out when I saw they were grease lubricated; it made them roll smooth and quiet longer but also made them feel kinda sluggish as well; the grease attracts more dirt and grime than oil does, lots of muck build up eventually happens, so be on the lookout for that if you have a set.

Like the pros say, don’t pop the shields

I’ve kept the shields on all my bearings especially these modus and they’re still going strong

Fastest smoothest longest rolling bearings I’ve ever had, just don’t pop the shields

You don’t have to be cool pop your Shields, ride with no washers on your trucks, ride only 2-3 bolts each truck and tell everyone indys are the best and only wear thrasher if your a core skater
yes

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »
I like the titanium ones I got on my rain board - still smooth - no rust.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 01:20:18 AM »
Modus are great - been riding a set of Abec 5’s for 2years now, longest lasting bearings I’ve had

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »
+1 for Modus. Ive been skating the titanium and the ceramic and they've been good for me. Ive skated Bones Swiss faithfully for  25+ years but I am digging Modus stuff. I posted a year or two ago that I gave them a shot on a whim after that little edit they did with Sylvain Tognelli. Like someone else in this thread said, it's all personal preference mixed with marketing. To each their own! What fun would it be if we all skated the same thing: dlx boards, bones swiss and spitfire wheels?

The only other bearings I've ever skated (other than Swiss and Modus) were in the early 00s I was on a road trip and needed new bearings and bought Vallely Speed Metal or whatever they were called.

chrisskates808

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 04:17:34 PM »
Tbh, I never really saw the hype of Modus bearings. At least from my experience, I broke them so many times.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 11:49:53 PM »
The blues are on par with REDS in my experience. Mine lasted a little longer, but most of this comes down to how and where you skate so I find comparisons in durability are often difficult to pinpoint. I've been on the titaniums for the last year and they are still going strong.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 03:41:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Its a titanium coating and I think its usually just on the races, the balls will still rust (or vice versa) so not all the components are coated is basically the jist of it. It also wears off over time. A bearing made from straight titanium would be really expensive and would probably require specialized machinery to produce.

It's a marketing ploy more than anything (and modus are far from the only ones) , but they are usually a bit more resistant to the elements than a normal steel bearing. I think of it as like a watch that's "water resistant" rather than waterproof. Don't think you can just start riding through puddles, even ceramics rust. The closest thing to a waterproof skate bearing is probably the old grease packed sealed (not shielded) style.

Modus bearings aren't super revolutionary (pun intended) or anything but they are good, especially when you factor in the price. I've got a set of 7s that I've been beating the fuck out of for like 2 years and they just won't die. They're loud as hell now they're still relatively fast and somehow all the shields are in place and not super bent.

greenbeans

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2022, 03:07:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes someone like me! I broke a set of reds in almost 3 months, instead modus going strong for over and year

YMMV but my experience was vice versa from yours. I’ve bought couple pairs of Modus and mines stopped spinning.

There weren’t anything unique. In fact, I can say motors in spit fire bearings are the 2 worst in the market

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2022, 08:52:57 PM »
I've skated the titanium's for a long time and they've been really good. Got them on sale so not sure if I'd pay full price

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2022, 10:19:22 AM »

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2022, 03:24:23 PM »
I like modus they may not be the fastest but the last, and wear wellat a good price point and they're Aussie so yeah.
Just call me Daddy.