Author Topic: Polar  (Read 8463 times)

pabloalvarado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
Polar
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:14 AM »
I like it here inside my mind. Don't wake me this time.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
Re: Polar
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 12:58:36 AM »

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 05:57:25 PM »
Never watched that first promo before, good stuff.
They've came a long way since then.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
Owned 3 Polar boards, all wonderful pieces of wood. Love the company itself too They're really holding it down for Europe

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 05:51:20 AM »
as much as i like the promo's and ilihimmdwmtt, esp compared to other 'skate videos',
I prefer pre- polar pontus.
His videos seemed more his own, had more dept and documentary- style, with polar I can't help but feel he is trying to appeal to sell. Not that he is selling out, but it just doesn't feel the same. I liked how the skaters in Strongest of the Strange or In search of the Miraculous had a more 'average joe', or 'that one guy I know who is really good' vibe compared to Polars 'wearing the right stuff doing the right tricks' type of skater.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 05:15:22 AM »
the soundtrack from i like it here inside my mind don't wake me this time, is just too good for us skaters

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »
I can't help but feel he is trying to appeal to sell.

Hold on, you mean the promotional videos he produces to advertise his brand seem like they are designed to be appealing and to sell product?  I don’t believe it for a second.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
as much as i like the promo's and ilihimmdwmtt, esp compared to other 'skate videos',
I prefer pre- polar pontus.
His videos seemed more his own, had more dept and documentary- style, with polar I can't help but feel he is trying to appeal to sell. Not that he is selling out, but it just doesn't feel the same. I liked how the skaters in Strongest of the Strange or In search of the Miraculous had a more 'average joe', or 'that one guy I know who is really good' vibe compared to Polars 'wearing the right stuff doing the right tricks' type of skater.

Pontus' most authentic piece of work is The Strongest Of The Strange by far. you had to be there when it came out in order to measure how much of a UFO that film was, and how strong its impact on European skateboarding was, back when everybody was trying to edit their marble prowess in either yellow shirts or PD costumes to the shittiest dance floor music possible. In Search Of The Miraculous was a Nike ad in comparison. of course that was when the rest of the world started paying attention...

as tempting as it is to say I prefer pre-Polar Pontus too, I think a better wording would be that I prefer Pontus to Polar, or at least the reminder that there's more to Pontus than Polar. Polar is a commercial extension of Pontus' persona; it's his take on what a skate company should be. of course it's going to be materialistic, but I like how he's always done it with a twist. the product and designs are crazy, only a skater could understand that material and visual language; it's a brand in the truest sense of the term, a modern type of artistic outlet, obviously designed to appeal to anybody relating in the slightest because why not. remember how Pontus' first catchphrase with Polar was 'not driven by greed'? knowing Pontus, he's still the truest, most passionate and sensible skate rat one can get; he just so happens to be smart enough to have put himself in a dominant position but I think his message is still positive in that his motivation still remains to inspire people to hopefully find the little spark of creation, excitement and life in the act of skateboarding, just like he himself did. it's an enterprise of transmission that isn't just in touch with, but firmly rooted in the essence of skateboarding, better than a lot of other businesses in this industry and for that I'm willing to give the occasional gimmick a pass. for your word to reach out to more people, sometimes you need to vulgarize. Pontus does it with constructive intent and in ways so subtle, they're invisible to the untrained eye; that's a lot better, wiser and less selfish than most, and although I don't necessarily always agree with the form personally, I know I'd rather have passion-driven individuals like him in a position of power in skateboarding than just about any other type of people.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:51:04 PM by silhouette »

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
Been skating nothing but Polar 8.625 or 8.75 for the last 10 or so decks and couldn't ask for a better board
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 05:55:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hold on, you mean the promotional videos he produces to advertise his brand seem like they are designed to be appealing and to sell product?  I don’t believe it for a second.

shrink your fucking signature

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Done.  Sorry to all I have annoyed.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Rulla_lauta

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 08:55:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Done.  Sorry to all I have annoyed.
fcking wanker

• Rep: -42
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 02:50:24 AM »
Polars clothing line is great looking but pretty much out of my price range. Really cool  a e s t h e t i c .
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

Pigeon

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 06:43:26 AM »
Polars clothing line is great looking but pretty much out of my price range. Really cool  a e s t h e t i c .
Fuck the clothes. Buy the boards.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
The clothes are pretty cool though and probably generate more revenue than the boards, so I can't blame the people who go after them at all, it's a good company to support in any way.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 09:16:22 AM »
Love their boards and ride them a lot. Enough to not remember how many. Probably too old for their $95 pants though I think about them a lot.

Second date

• Rep: 2
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
Love their boards and ride them a lot. Enough to not remember how many. Probably too old for their $95 pants though I think about them a lot.

Which pants you talking? Big boys? Surf pants? or their newest fit, 93 denim?
All great! Big boys are incredible. Waaaaay before my time but from what I can see in photos they're definitely reminiscent of Blind jeans and New Deal pants.
Surf pants are just ultra light and comfortable and seem to be dominating in European/british skatebaording. A LOT of people are wearing them no matter they're board sponsor and that's rad.
93 denim, to me are a more casual pant. Still rather baggy but they're not wild goofy boy style. Just kinda like pants you'd see on most skaters in videos in the early to late 90's.
I love the quality and stand by them all.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 05:33:14 AM »
the 9+ shapes are great! i've been riding the dane brady and 1990 shapes and liked them a lot. video output is great as well.

PMA

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
hardly art, hardly starving

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
Has anyone else had a Polar board snap after three low impact sessions? I've heard this is occasionally a thing with them
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Coolhats

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »
sorry for bump but didn’t think this warranted a new thread. I wear 32x32 in regular pants what size would I be in the surf pants?

The sizing is on their website. I’d say probably a medium, though

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 08:19:54 PM »
Has anyone else had a Polar board snap after three low impact sessions? I've heard this is occasionally a thing with them

theyre just generator
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 01:43:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

theyre just generator

Hence my surprise at the brittleness of a Nick Boserio model
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 09:24:43 PM »
Polar has such a sick team. Nick B and hjalte and many others. 

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2022, 06:22:43 PM »
the first promo is still so good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8dn3Uv48U

Bumppppp. This video set the tone in skating for a while. EVERYONE was doing the most heinous wallies and no complies because of this video. Hahahahaha.

Damn this was really right before everyone jumped to HD. Kind of a trip, feels just like yesterday.

How did body varials get so popular around that time? LOL.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2022, 11:10:05 PM »
"feels like yesterday" literally watched this two days ago and had a proper oh fuck moment. How the fuck was this eleven years ago? Always loved pontus' and his videos don't think people who weren't there at the time really understand how much of a shift this promo was compared to pretty sweet that had just come out. I mean it's obvious if you watch them back to back but even at the pretty sweet prem it was like ok this shit is over it's gone as far as it can then you watch the polar promo and the world is good again
Edit: gotta add tho their boards were pretty awful the first couple years. Unfortunately I used to be a board breaker and these were some of the worst and the shapes were kinda bogus. All good now tho.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2022, 01:23:29 PM »