Author Topic: Jason Jessee Suspended from Cons & Santa Cruz  (Read 37609 times)

grantfiero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Jason Jessee Suspended from Cons & Santa Cruz
« on: May 25, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
"However, when NHS recently learned of the Iron Horse Magazine interview in 1994, we immediately called him in and confronted the issue. Jason accepted responsibility and has since issued a public apology. Further, Jason acknowledged he needed to continue to publicly denounce his past statements.
Nonetheless, NHS has decided to indefinitely suspend Jason Jessee."

"We have indefinitely suspended Jason from the Converse CONs team. We are also working to better understand Jason’s past and the work he can do to show respect, compassion and acceptance for all people, and use his voice to spread a message of openness throughout the Skate community."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59q343/skateboarding-icon-jason-jessee-is-under-fire-for-use-of-swastikas-and-racist-remarks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Jason Jessee Suspended from Cons & Santa Cruz
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »
There goes [what's left of] his 'career'.

The power of Slap.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »
What does that even mean?

How do you suspend someone in skateboarding? They're gonna stop selling his product? He's not gonna get paid anymore? Demote him to Am status? He can't film or go on trips?

This isn't like sports where there is a number of games you miss when you're suspended.

ogbawtawd

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »
Those are Nike words, olympics language

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »
What does that even mean?

How do you suspend someone in skateboarding? They're gonna stop selling his product? He's not gonna get paid anymore? Demote him to Am status? He can't film or go on trips?

This isn't like sports where there is a number of games you miss when you're suspended.
My guess is that they aren't going to make any new product for him, but pay him for the rest of his contract.

I think these guys might have serious issues getting out on morality grounds, as its most likely the contracts signed are significantly after the offenses that would be the basis for a claim. For Cons, they probably just have their lawyers going threw the contracts and Jesse's action to see if their grounds.

Now, Nike fired Hewitt due to saying something in an interview that violated their standards. But, while what Hewitt did happened over 20 years prior, the interview was quite recent. With Jason Jesse the interview is 25 years old, and it seems some of the more recent stuff that is offensive happened around 2009.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
Whoever decided to give him last part on the Cons vid should be fired.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »
well how'd this Nazi Douchebag expect it to end? I know from certain instances ie other skater for fucking up whatever bs happens they drop them immediately. So good for NHS and his sponsors don't want that kinda funk to follow ya.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »

Probably the lamest part I've seen in a looooooooooong time, what was the point? A white trash expose and shitty outdated skating from the 80s?

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »
I'd like to know what suspension entails. Could be as bad as a cop blasting someone and being on paid leave. The kook already has the whole industry backing him, except Lay, and he's probably gonna get paid just laying around amongst abused chickens. Not quite the justice we wanted...

Still...Fuck you Jason Jessee.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
well how'd this Nazi Douchebag expect it to end? I know from certain instances ie other skater for fucking up whatever bs happens they drop them immediately. So good for NHS and his sponsors don't want that kinda funk to follow ya.

Your avatar, kinda ironic...

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Absolutely,
 fuck Phil DD would have been alive had Phil been there for that Damage plan show.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
When talking shit on the inter web gets real

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
I like how guys like Jason jessee gets full access to sponsors & exposure for his "comebacks" but someone like a Tuan gets thrown completely under the bus. 

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
It's almost as if the skate industry is full of peckerwood kooks who are either down with white power shit or are fine looking the other way.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
"According to Jessee, he's known guitarist Mobby since he was 16, but told VICE he was in the dark regarding the band's beliefs."

That's such horseshit.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »
He'll probably still have backing from Santa Cruz but I imagine the Cons/Nike stuff is done - they simply cannot afford any association with that kind of stuff.

I can't believe it took so long although I imagine their skate team managers were hoping it would blow over and weren't bringing it up the chain. Probably could have saved ourselves a 75 page thread by simply asking on Nike Twitter why one of their athletes was hanging out with neo nazis.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 12:51:17 PM »
I like how guys like Jason jessee gets full access to sponsors & exposure for his "comebacks" but someone like a Tuan gets thrown completely under the bus.

Well I hate to say it, but Antwuan kind of deserves it. He was given so many opportunities and extra chances and blew it. The guy literally broke the window of some guy's car that had the guy's children in it screaming in fear. Not really shocking to see how people wouldn't pick him up.

shark tits

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »
i think suspension just means he has to stay out of skating and skateboard property for an indeterminate amount of time and when he is allowed to return, his parent or legal guardian will have to sign him back and speak to jeff kendall or whoever.
now if he got expelled from skatebaording, that's more permanent [at least a yr]

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Absolutely,
 fuck Phil DD would have been alive had Phil been there for that Damage plan show.

More about Phil being a white power goon too. At a memorial for Dimebag he was sieg heilen' like wild

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
"prominent figures like Atiba Jefferson, Rob “Sluggo” Boyce, Mike Anderson, and Daryl Angel"

lmao

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well I hate to say it, but Antwuan kind of deserves it. He was given so many opportunities and extra chances and blew it. The guy literally broke the window of some guy's car that had the guy's children in it screaming in fear. Not really shocking to see how people wouldn't pick him up.

yeah to some extent however These guys profited off of his unfortunate struggles then gave him the boot. Did he get on anything reputable afterwards? No. So much for second chances huh? (I know it was a long time of craziness with twuan prob a bad example.) Ali and Cory killed people drunk driving and theres still dudes sending them well wishes and heart emojis not to mention they still have product on shelves. Corey Duffel goes on silly rant in a magazine only to be embraced by the industry almost immediately after. Jason had multiple chances and those brands profited off of it during the so called "non peak" of his career through reissues and such. it seems like all he had to do is say sorry and he got even more sponsors than he had in his prime before getting caught up again.  The only reason why he even got the boot because of the brands trying to save face during this hyper-politicized time.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »
"prominent figures like Atiba Jefferson, Rob “Sluggo” Boyce, Mike Anderson, and Daryl Angel"

lmao

God dammit, I came here to post literally the exact same fucking thing.

Touche.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Wha? When was Antuwan thrown under the bus? He'd been in (mostly in) and out of jail for years, hadn't produced footage in as long, but still managed (and manages) to get love from Ellington and Reynolds on a regular basis. I don't blame them for letting his contract expire. They couldn't afford to keep paying him if he wasn't able to keep up his end of the bargain.

I'm confident in saying 4 out of 5 Slappies (WTF are we calling ourselves again?) still love him and are on here, vocally rooting for him. I'm not sure how you think he was completely thrown under the bus, and by whom, but I'm pretty sure that even Antuwan blames only himself for being thrown under any busses.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 01:25:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah to some extent however These guys profited off of his unfortunate struggles then gave him the boot. Did he get on anything reputable afterwards? No. So much for second chances huh? (I know it was a long time of craziness with twuan prob a bad example.) Ali and Cory killed people drunk driving and theres still dudes sending them well wishes and heart emojis not to mention they still have product on shelves. Corey Duffel goes on silly rant in a magazine only to be embraced by the industry almost immediately after. Jason had multiple chances and those brands profited off of it during the so called "non peak" of his career through reissues and such. it seems like all he had to do is say sorry and he got even more sponsors than he had in his prime before getting caught up again.  The only reason why he even got the boot because of the brands trying to save face during this hyper-politicized time.
Tuan got multiple chances on Baker and Deathwish, and was on Supra throughout a couple jail stints. The other thing is, he really hasn't put out any worthwhile footage since he got out. If Tuan dropped a heavy comeback Thrasher part, the sponsors would be calling. Right now he still has a board and a shoe sponsor despite not dropping a legit part in a decade.

Also, what he did was completely psychotic. Beating the shit out of some guy in front of his family then breaking the windows of a car with kids in it.

I also think the backlash on Cory and Ali would be different if they killed a random person who was just living their daily life (for example hit a kid walking to school), rather than someone they were partying with who had some idea of the consequences of getting in a motor vehicle with them.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
If antwuan puts a legit part together, doesn't even have to be amazing just a full street part, he will for sure be able to make a comeback and get paid

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably the lamest part I've seen in a looooooooooong time, what was the point? A white trash expose and shitty outdated skating from the 80s?

Dude bingo. I thought I was the only one who thought his skating was regressive and his attitude sucked.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »
It's because he's marketable to people who don't skate or halfway skate and are into the whole greaser thing. He isn't blowing anyone's mind with his skating but he still skates damn good for his age

ZachMoldof

• Rep: -42
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
It's almost as if the skate industry is full of peckerwood kooks who are either down with white power shit or are fine looking the other way.

When insecure people are given power and influence they become abusers 100% of the time. The degree of abuse may vary, but it feels like that's what's going on with lots of folks in skating right now. If you're not self-actualized, and you rely on someone else to cut you a check, or ensure your comforts, then values can get compromised very quickly. The truth of the situation gets really clear when you look at someone like Ryan Lay compared to all the people in skating who don't speak up. No coincidence that the dude who is good at skating, a college grad, AND running a charity afterschool program for underprivileged kids, is also the dude willing to speak the truth.

Nate.Dog

• Rep: -9
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »

Antwaun had multiple chances to get his shit together and didn't come through, and bakerboys and that whole crew supported him through the whole thing as long as they could, the dude finally just got clean like last year and he has a whole slew of new things he's a part of (DOG, STRAYE, whatever) on what is essentially his first REAL "comeback". I really don't think that this is a comparable in

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 03:07:21 PM »
If antwuan puts a legit part together, doesn't even have to be amazing just a full street part, he will for sure be able to make a comeback and get paid
He's out filming in the streets according to his insta and he's been hitting shit.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down