Author Topic: Do you skate worse when being filmed?  (Read 3671 times)

HHH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Do you skate worse when being filmed?
« on: May 27, 2018, 03:46:49 PM »
Sometimes I fuck up tricks more as I try to land them faster to save the hassle for the filmer. However otherwise I would land stuff good.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: Do you skate worse when being filmed?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »
a lot worse because then I start actually focusing on something specific, and start calculating small details a lot more (all the while being aware that noone gives a shit and it's absurd to do it, which makes everything even worse sometimes if you can't reason yourself). when I'm not filming, pretty much all my everyday skating consists in successions of lines where I improvise trick after trick depending on whatever feels comfortable next. but whenever a camera's out, I feel like I actually have to try something more definite, my mind sinks down a vortex and in the end, I often end up settling for the same safe tricks I know I can, but normally don't even really do, restricting most leeway when it comes to spontaneity and eventually the clip is a lot less representative of my skating than I wish it could be. some my favorite clips of myself (yes) are the ones where I never realized I was being filmed, or random stuff I just did in between other people's takes or going with the flow of the session. as soon as you're being documented and you know it, staying natural becomes a mental struggle. developing the ability of breaking free from your own self-expectations in order to get footage that actually looks like you is the ultimate challenge. I have a lot of respect for people who you can tell on footage skate just the same in real life, when the clips feel like they were captured on the fly because they probably were.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »
Lines: Yes.

Gap/Stair/Handrail- No.

doggshittkickks

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »
I think the concept is similar to the double slit experiment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

things act differently when observed....

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
sometimes yes. i'll skate a little faster without noticing and it fucks me up
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:55:54 PM »
Camera Curse

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 08:22:33 AM »
Much worse....I never grew up filming...

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 10:21:33 PM »
if you drink beer, you totally forget about the camera
even the steven

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 06:04:42 AM »
not really
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 06:23:42 AM »
I find it annoying that as a filmer I start to think whoever is filming me is getting impatient filming me (most probably) and I start to then skate worse.

Weird brain fuckery.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
I’m in the middle of filming my skater trainer sponsor me tape; most days the camera doesn’t get to me but if I’m getting stressed, it starts to mess with my head.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »
they don't call it the bail gun for nothing

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
Lines: Yes.

Gap/Stair/Handrail- No.
This. I start thinking that I'm wasting everyone's time(prob true) and I start getting pissed. This can be advantageous on big single tricks but turns to a shit show for a line.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »
it's the bail gun but it does bring out the best. so yes and ultimately no. then what you film this yr will be what you do chilling next yr.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »
Always. I end up trying shit for 3 hours and usually don't get it. I kinda hate filming.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »
it takes out some fun but the ego of filming a trick will make you better, give you standards.
it's a slippery slope though to taking fun out of the game.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »
No one ever films me (for good reason) but I actually think it helps. I don't want to waste anyone's time or batteries so I think I make more of an effort to land shit quickly. Or eat major shit.

Also, when there are cute girls taking "romance of decay" photos at the skatepark for their intro college class, it's fucking showtime.

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 01:03:07 AM »
It really only happens wehn I'm doin a line. I can think of so many moments when I was doing a line over and over on a spot waiting for the filmer, and when he got there and started filming I couldn't even come close to the first trick without bailing it and loosing my mind.

With single tricks it's usually different, cause most of the time you try shit you've never done before (or not as frequent)
support your local ramp-tramp

stooeylewis

• Rep: 1
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »
the good ol' bail gun .  ive come to the realization if i am going to be filmed the filmer better do it in the first hour and its on a get what you get type deal. otherwise i get tired upset or shit just doesnt work because im worrying about it too much . if you film it rad if you dont its okay .

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 11:55:02 AM »
they don't call it the bail gun for nothing
The pressure is off when I'm self filming.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:57:51 AM by layzieyez »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
i skate worse when i'm getting filmed. but i also skate worse when i am not getting filmed

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »
you start to feel bad for the filmer, so you start thinking about that and stop focusing (as much) on the trick or line

one more try bro
Shit could be worse

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
I skate better because I hate filming and I just want it to end. "Just stop filming" might be the reaction from some, but the desire to document what little skills I have is greater than the desire to end filming stress. Unfortunately it's made my standards for filmed tricks pretty low.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
Depends on the day, sometimes when i know the camera is out im scared of wasting time and footage so ill actually push myself to commit. Other times when i get close to landing whatever im trying, ill get all hyped which slowly turns to frustration and i know the cameras rolling so the pressure makes me buckle

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
you start to feel bad for the filmer, so you start thinking about that and stop focusing (as much) on the trick or line

that's such a classic downwards spiral. honestly, whenever somebody is filming me I can't help but feel like a giant piece of shit for wasting that person's time as soon as the trick is taking me more than ten tries (they often do). I film the people who film me a lot too, so the relationship really remains fair for the most part but the situation in itself is weird when you think about it, you're basically turning another human being into some kind of tripod for a little while. I always make sure the person filming enjoys it (and keeps enjoying it throughout the process), when they're a creative type and I know they're actually having fun and putting their heart into trying to compose something and make the footage look good, it is a lot more reassuring than if they're giving you clear signals that they really wish they should be doing something else instead (that's when it's time to stop and you probably won't be making your trick anyway as nothing cool usually stems from bad vibes).

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that's such a classic downwards spiral. honestly, whenever somebody is filming me I can't help but feel like a giant piece of shit for wasting that person's time as soon as the trick is taking me more than ten tries (they often do). I film the people who film me a lot too, so the relationship really remains fair for the most part but the situation in itself is weird when you think about it, you're basically turning another human being into some kind of tripod for a little while. I always make sure the person filming enjoys it (and keeps enjoying it throughout the process), when they're a creative type and I know they're actually having fun and putting their heart into trying to compose something and make the footage look good, it is a lot more reassuring than if they're giving you clear signals that they really wish they should be doing something else instead (that's when it's time to stop and you probably won't be making your trick anyway as nothing cool usually stems from bad vibes).
Same, good way to approach it. Whenever I film someone, I always try to show that I'm really totally fine with filming them lol, and that I know it might take a while
Shit could be worse

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 09:58:42 AM »
I think I ultimately skate better on film. When filming it's easy to perceive that I'm skating worse if I'm struggling but in reality I'm just skating harder/holding myself to a higher standard since someone might see it later. It can be tough mentally but for me I know I'll push myself more to try and sometimes land harder tricks than I would have without filming. Feeling bad for the person filming is real sometimes, but if they're hyped and your relationship is fair that helps a lot.

ungzilla

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 12:17:56 PM »
the camera adds 10 100 lbs tries

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 10:41:08 PM »
Absolutely. I get very self conscious. Trick I think look clean end up looking way ugly on film.

AnthonyFromMacedonia

• Rep: 1
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2018, 01:39:44 AM »
I havent been filmed while skating becose i dont really skate but when ride my bmx and someone films me yeah i ride worse. Same for videogames. I do something epic then get someone to see it and i cant do it. When they leave i always succeed