Author Topic: Do you skate worse when being filmed?  (Read 3672 times)

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
Re: Do you skate worse when being filmed?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
 >:(
yeah I never had anyone film with me if I did it was deleted shortly thereafter, as I am humble enough to say I'm not that great to film.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
a lot worse because then I start actually focusing on something specific, and start calculating small details a lot more (all the while being aware that noone gives a shit and it's absurd to do it, which makes everything even worse sometimes if you can't reason yourself). when I'm not filming, pretty much all my everyday skating consists in successions of lines where I improvise trick after trick depending on whatever feels comfortable next. but whenever a camera's out, I feel like I actually have to try something more definite, my mind sinks down a vortex and in the end, I often end up settling for the same safe tricks I know I can, but normally don't even really do, restricting most leeway when it comes to spontaneity and eventually the clip is a lot less representative of my skating than I wish it could be. some my favorite clips of myself (yes) are the ones where I never realized I was being filmed, or random stuff I just did in between other people's takes or going with the flow of the session. as soon as you're being documented and you know it, staying natural becomes a mental struggle. developing the ability of breaking free from your own self-expectations in order to get footage that actually looks like you is the ultimate challenge. I have a lot of respect for people who you can tell on footage skate just the same in real life, when the clips feel like they were captured on the fly because they probably were.

I can relate to this a lot, although I think my main problem is that I play it too safe when filming because I don't have the patience to try things for very long. Most of my best tricks were never filmed, they just happened during a regular session and I never got around to filming them because I don't have the same luck when I plan things out. As soon as I think about a trick too much it becomes harder. I also filmed for years and have high standards, so it's really hard to focus on my own skating when I'm worrying about bro-cam. I've had multiple video parts, but never one I was close to happy with.

NJ_SKATE27

• Rep: 0
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »
Sometimes I fuck up tricks more as I try to land them faster to save the hassle for the filmer. However otherwise I would land stuff good.

Hell yeah I hate being filmed but love it at the same time. 

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »
remember the first time you saw yourself skating on camera? such a bummer
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »
remember the first time you saw yourself skating on camera? such a bummer
I'll never forget the moment my friend helpfully pointed out to me that I do a slight wrist extension before popping a trick, every single time.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »
No, unless I'm under pressure like I have only a few tries before getting kicked out or battery about to die...some people do better under pressure though