Author Topic: Flying With Your Board  (Read 2189 times)

maggotspawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Flying With Your Board
« on: May 28, 2018, 05:20:46 AM »
It seems that on most airlines boards have to be checked. Anybody check their board with one of those backpacks that the board straps to? Other option is a huge suitcase.

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
Re: Flying With Your Board
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »
i fly with my board and a spare deck or two a lot. I usually carry that and a backpack through security, never had any problems. The boards fit in the overhead and take up no space at all, which i've explained to tsa when they ask. Or you could just bungee cord it to your backpack and take the straps off as soon as you get through tsa. Should only count as one item.

I fly american airlines, but most airline should be the same except for the super cheap ones that don't let you have a bag.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
delta lets you carry it on. I travel with a backpack, duffel and complete board and usually check the duffel for free at the gate

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
yea a lot of airlines let you carry your board on. if not - i take my trucks off throw them in my bag then strap my board to the bag
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 01:24:31 AM »
As mentioned above, many airlines let you carry it on, even if their website says you can't. Just flew to Iceland and New York, then home on different airlines and on all four flights I just walked on with a backpack, suitcase, and holding my board and no one so much as glanced at it.

Safe bets are Delta, American, and Icelandair. I've heard not to with Alaska but they let me do it too.

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
I've heard not to with Alaska but they let me do it too.

No problem with Alaska either. My daughter and I both showed up with our boards as carry-on. They never mentioned them.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 10:01:55 AM »
Airlines where I've had to check in or get hustled at the gate for $60 so I break my board in retaliation:

Spirit

calvinsdream

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:40:12 AM »
I've never had any problems checking my backpack with a board strapped to it, other than being asked if it's strapped securely. I've taken it as a carry on with no problems on Southwest a few times.

MacYoCoffee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »
Let it be known United will be fuckish with luggage.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 07:31:11 PM »
snap the tail and jump while scraping your front foot up the board.
and to fakie.
and that's all folks.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 05:21:09 AM »
Recently I’ve been flying with a checked bag and have put my board in there.

Hoping to not check anything this time and wondering about bringing a disassembled board. Are you allowed to bring a tool? I recall TSA being super strict about tools because they didn’t want you taking the plane apart (even though everything on a plane uses security bits or is riveted.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 06:06:31 PM »
In my experience you can usually carry it on, if your in the US. A lot of international flights make you check them.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 08:49:13 PM »
I had forgotten these in my bag while flying from Germany to Finland. Not sure what they're called in English. Guy at the security check looked at them and asked someone else if they're ok. I was sure they'd take them away, but no. The other dude said that they're perfectly fine. If these are ok, I'd imagine a skate tool would be too, but this is just me guessing.  🙂

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 01:28:10 AM »
I recall TSA being super strict about tools because they didn’t want you taking the plane apart (even though everything on a plane uses security bits or is riveted.
What the

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »
I've carried on to Delta and Southwest with no problem. Toss it in the overhead and make sure it doesn't take up extra space.

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »
Hey mate I just flew international on American Airlines. I brought one complete deck and 3 others just the decks all as carry ons. I’m sure if you fly domestic it would be the same