Author Topic: Skateboarding is the most "diverse" and becoming "inclusive" activity on earth!  (Read 3497 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Expand Quote
This thread reminds me of a video Vice did on the new Wolfenstein game some months back. When they released a trailer for it, a bunch of people came out of the woodwork saying they were disappointed in the developer for "getting political" and were boycotting the game. Hilariously, the only political statement the game was making was that Nazis are bad (given that the premise of the game is to kill Nazis). There's literally no way to be offended by the game unless you like Nazis, and yet somehow people managed to get offended by it.
[close]

They had also been making Wolfenstein games for 20+ years, all about killing Nazi's, no one gave a shit because Nazi's are the default bad guy, but since the rise of the alt right and the mobilization of gamers as a political bloc.

There's currently a big curfuffle about the new battlefield game letting you play as a woman, which is not realistic. Not a peep about the armored horses or the ability to sit on the wings of fighter planes from the last battlefield game.

They were upset because, like BF5, the new Wolfenstein has twin women protagonists.

them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
the fact that as an inclusive activity, skateboarding will reject the non-inclusive types, is only logical and not fallacious at all. just think about it a bit more.

Expand Quote
questioning being the bitches of a select few actors of an industry that to this day still print ads promoting "diversity" and "inclusion" as totally embodied by the exemplary Highway Murderers in magazines mostly read by kids definitely makes us bitches, yes. we've got it all wrong, PALS; let's all turn our backs to modernity and progress in order to irresponsibly consume, surrender our loot to fossils of companies that really need to keep milking skateboarding so bad, and worship I-HATE-YOU's almighty word (apparently consisting in recycling real values into "commercial" "gimmicks") instead.
[close]

What are you even talking about? You are making arguments for words I did not even say. Do you need to virtue signal that bad?

with your original attitude, no matter your original intent with your 'statement', something else that's only natural is how bound you were to be lumped together with all the (shit-)posters who've been recently signing up just to post similarly sterile-looking, tongue-in-cheek threads ever since the Jason Jessee thing broke out. I like that you're actually trying to have a conversation now though.

what was I talking about? I'm just sick of skateboarding being branded as 'diverse', 'inclusive', 'free' or really just branded at all, by certain people who almost always resort to the same commercial reappropriation, distortion and corruption of otherwise meaningful important values when their bottom line really is just to manage to sell fucking shoes (or shirts) to whoever might not want them yet (and fuck anybody who really won't buy them, eventually; oh, and the persons who make them too while we're at it).

businesses waving those fake flags around are an insult to the positivity that's actually inherent to skateboarding without needing anyone to cash in on it. businesses that launch campaigns of fake apologies in the front and censorship in the back as opposed to approaching their problems reasonably are straight up disrespectful to their audience, in this case: skateboarders, and how less credible can a skate company get, even business-wise - since when has been biting the hand that feeds good marketing? if anything, the whole debacle only highlights how disconnected some of the most established and popularly iconic skate brands really are with the modern reality of skateboarding and thus, how sincere they really are towards it, the sum of the people worldwide who do it, and the people (again, worldwide) who actually still try to do something constructive for it.

of course businesses will be businesses, but you'll always have good businesses and bad businesses. I know I'm not buying anything from the ones that call themselves skate companies yet are so desperate to cover their mainstream asses as soon as something shady publicly blows up, they're willing to stab the very skateboarders in the back as soon as they stop accepting to surrender their money in exchange for a brainwash.

long post already but one last thing still, I don't believe anyone is 'wishing death upon' anybody really - besides the people who are obviously expressing such wishes, at least symbolically, and getting singled out for it, rightfully so.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:16:58 PM by silhouette »