Author Topic: Best City in the US to skate?  (Read 7950 times)

Slaps Son

Best City in the US to skate?
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »
 I just got back from Philly and had a really rad time there. What city do you think has the best skateboarding? Obvious top ones are NYC, LA, and SF. I wanna get to Miami too.

streetsoup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
Re: Best City in the US to skate?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »
SLC.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 04:32:49 PM »
Panama City, Florida. There's sand and rocks everywhere and they haven't paved the streets since 82 so you get the chance to prove you're as crusty as Puleo every time you leave the house.

legalbeagle

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:43:57 PM »
IMO Seattle is one of the best US skate destinations in the summer. Perfect summer weather, great parks, cool locals, decent street skating, a "TF" style meet up place and  good combo of food/nature/city stuff to do when not skating. Of course in the winter its another story.

Davie Dick

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
Vancouver

bo bice

• Rep: 76
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:57:20 PM »
New York, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Chicago

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:52:55 PM »
st. louis, missouri and seattle, washington.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
sf no contest
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

fuckmyself

• Rep: -6
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »
Boston is pretty underrated.

• Rep: -42
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 07:38:46 PM »
Detroit is the most underrated skate cities. Plus most of the world doesn't realize the downtown has totally transformed the past five years. Alien isn't too far away.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
sf no contest

This.

NY/LA/SF and SF was by far the most fun (due to speed and, back then, decent streets). NY was great tho, midtown, Bubble/Brooklyn banks, good times.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »
Oakland - right in between Berkeley and SF. Good public transportation, Good food, skate history etc. There still some areas beyond the east i wouldnt go too far beyonf
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 12:33:58 AM »
NYC, SF, and Seattle

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 02:08:17 AM »

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 02:12:52 AM »

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 05:43:50 AM »
Early oughts - philly
Now - blasting through NYC at night

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 07:02:10 AM »
Pittsburgh isn't the best, but damn if I didn't have a blast there. Hills. Cuts. Unknobbed ledges. Just not many parks.

shark tits

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »
i usedta love baton rouge and LA and tempe circa 2000-02.
nowadays i don't get out much but providence is a dream and boston is a lot of fun. i looked at eggs, that's a great spot yesterday.
fond memories of hartford, ct.

this is a tough question because it's contingent on skill level. there's lots of cities i see gnarly rails that were i better or ballsier, i'd rate them. because i'm relegated to the 6 stairs, lower ledges and walls perameters i am basing my cities on that.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »
Depends on what you are looking for, but I can say SF and NYC are your best bets if you want to spend the most time on your board and have access to the best terrain.

Pushing around SF will involve a lot of hiking and quick hits as house spots are usually high bust. The city also isn't that big. The adrenaline from all of the hills is pretty unbeatable. You won't find another city in the US with the type of setup to accumulate so much vertical in a day. Not to mention the weather allows you to skate the majority of the year. Average temp for SF year wide is about 57 degrees F.

If you want the most spots NYC is the winner. It's also pretty much flat so you can cover a lot of ground easily.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:11:09 AM by tkp »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
IMO Seattle is one of the best US skate destinations in the summer. Perfect summer weather, great parks, cool locals, decent street skating, a "TF" style meet up place and  good combo of food/nature/city stuff to do when not skating. Of course in the winter its another story.

What's the meet up place? 

Honestly I think the Pacific Nortwest spots just get beat down....the last few clips out of crailtap where it's Seattle/Vancouver I thought the spots looked bleak.....

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 08:15:21 AM »
-SF and it isnt close-but those hills are probably gnarlier than you are, beware.
-NYC would be #2 but the vast majority of what you want to skate is a bust.  I think Philly is better (used to live in NYC)
-Pittsburgh is underrated
-ATL is underrated (biased)

The worst cities for skating are Savannah and New Orleans.  Fortunately they're gorgeous and you won't care, go grab a drink and walk around.

shark tits

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 08:22:48 AM »
oh, lest i forget detroit!
that place ruled. my information is a little dated [2011 was last time] but there was lots of great infrastructure w/out heavy handed police./security. average people were pretty supportive too.
might not be as cool now that white people are flooding back in.
buffalo was really cool a long time ago, cleveland as well.

sf was great 20 yrs ago. it's spots have shriveled and the AVEs are really rough [sidewalks are nice]. if you're good then it's great, if you're average, it's gonna be more 'oh my god, i can't beleieve ol' boy did such and such here'.

legalbeagle

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i don't know. maybe you could take a trip down from vancouver and figure it out

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
If you're into parks, L.A. is awesome.

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
D.C. is like one big skatepark for a few blocks, and has all sorts of hidden gems as well.  Plus it's close to Baltimore and Richmond. 

berries and a twig

• Rep: -7
  • fucking steak
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
Shouldn’t it be “Cory Kennedy off Nike”?  Pretty sure there’s a way to edit titles of threads.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly I think the Pacific Nortwest spots just get beat down....the last few clips out of crailtap where it's Seattle/Vancouver I thought the spots looked bleak.....

I believe the meet up place is referring to the Cal Anderson tennis courts. I just moved here less than two weeks ago, it's basically some nice flat and obstacles that come and go. Super mellow and fun, close to food, 35th north and a bunch of other shit too.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 06:35:45 PM »
If you're into parks, L.A. is awesome.

The greater San Diego area has an embarrassingly high number of excellent park. And great weather basically year round.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 12:02:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

To be honest crailtap isn't filming at the most interesting spots. The meet-up spot is the courts at Cal Anderson park. I was just in New York and honestly Tompkins is nowhere near as good as Cal Anderson. But it was still sick, and respect to Tompkins and that scene of course because that's essentially what Cal is modeled after.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 12:46:52 AM »
Oakland
People just don’t know how good it is because it gets lumped in with SF. I say it all the time that it’s the best skate city I’ve ever been to. I’ve been living in the area for a decade, actively spot search, and am still finding new stuff to skate regularly.