Author Topic: Best City in the US to skate?  (Read 7941 times)

GOKU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Re: Best City in the US to skate?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 01:10:06 AM »
I'm from Boston and have lived here for most of my life, and this city is def not one of them lol. Lived in SF for half a year and Chicago for 14 months, SF is absolutely incredible for skateboarding and Chicago has an insane amount of untapped potential spots. Security for downtown spots in Chicago is apparently very strict so lots of stuff hasn't been hit up

SIMPLY

• Rep: 30
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 03:41:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Oakland
[close]
People just don’t know how good it is because it gets lumped in with SF. I say it all the time that it’s the best skate city I’ve ever been to. I’ve been living in the area for a decade, actively spot search, and am still finding new stuff to skate regularly.

Yup. Lived in LA , SF, and now Oakland and I agree, Oakland has endless spots with a similar vibe to SF but much more laid back. So much fun. Berkeley is great too.

hey pickle

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 03:53:25 AM »
New Jersey, if youre asking Uncle Freddy

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 04:45:18 AM »
sf makes the hills here look flat i would be dead in about 10 minutes in sf

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2018, 08:53:58 AM »
st. louis, missouri

STL, Boston, Detroit, Providence, DC

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -40
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2018, 09:01:44 AM »
Expand Quote
sf no contest
[close]

This.

NY/LA/SF and SF was by far the most fun (due to speed and, back then, decent streets). NY was great tho, midtown, Bubble/Brooklyn banks, good times.

NYC is so much fun.  You can just push around the LES and grab beers without ever popping your tail and it’s a ton of fun.

Always wanted to skate SF, but I’ve skated Seattle a lot and heard it compared to SF

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »
i visited Albuquerque last year and found a shit load of killer spots. I imagine when its not hot as fuck, people skate the shit outta those spots.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
San Jose goes under the radar but is an absolute goldmine in my opinion.

Dermbot

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2018, 03:50:30 PM »
sf no contest

SF without a doubt. Its literally like EA skate world.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »
kansas city parks suck compared to out west. Malto tf though. Pretty much all the spots here are rough and hard to skate i dont think thats bad though. I still find untouched stuff all the time if you know where to look. Most of the locals are pretty cool. Bbq is probably the best reason to come here.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »
Technically NYC is the best skate city if you're sober and motivated.

WAY too easy to get trapped drinking/partying. if you're chasing buns, last call is 4, meaning the bars are open until 5 basically, then there's the after hours spot. you ARE going to come across an outdoor seating situation with drop dead gorgeous women walking by and you WILL get faded instead of stack clips.

so nevermind.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sf no contest
[close]

This.

NY/LA/SF and SF was by far the most fun (due to speed and, back then, decent streets). NY was great tho, midtown, Bubble/Brooklyn banks, good times.
[close]

NYC is so much fun.  You can just push around the LES and grab beers without ever popping your tail and it’s a ton of fun.

Are you Dustin Dollin?

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »
It feels like you have to be kinda extra motivated in NYC since people generally aren’t driving or spots are impractical to drive to. It is amazing though, maybe the best. had tons of fun skating midtown at night by myself as well as skating downtown/battery park with some friends during the day into the evening.
Philly was really fun and seemed like you could get away with a lot there if you were outside of love park, city hall, muni. I’m referencing when I went in 2011. Occupy was happening and we got to skate the spot underneath city hall hassle free. Having a car there seemed like a pretty big advantage.
Haven’t been since 2006(?), but Miami was pretty dope. Having a car there seemed really useful as well, but the free train loops downtown were cool and the sky train thing was good too. This was when the white hubba and blue hubba were really popular, as well as a handful of other spots. Bonus that Ft. Lauderdale is really close and has a couple spots.
I’ve never been to SF, looks awesome, though. I was too young to see much of LA, although I did do a bit of spot tourism thanks to my dad and monsterskate.com.
If you’re counting Canada as well Toronto is pretty good and Montreal is probably better. Both different as Toronto is way more sprawling and spread out than Montreal.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »
Chicago's not quite one of the best but it's mad underrated. Twin Cities are most definitely a top 10, maybe even a top 5. I don't know too much about Arizona's geography but one of their cities should be near the top, no?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:27:23 PM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
While this place my not be defined as a city, Butte, Montana is unreal

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2018, 08:35:19 PM »
Hubbard Oregon

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2018, 11:24:28 PM »
I don't know too much about Arizona's geography but one of their cities should be near the top, no?
So many amazing skaters are from Arizona and I appreciate what they do but in my opinion nowhere in AZ is really that spectacular to skate. Even Phoenix, the largest city, is just  really spread out and way too fucking hot and dry. Tucson is okay. Then Prescott and Flagstaff up north have literally nothing to skate (not even not-spots) and the ground is rough as fuck everywhere.

Ditches are cool but you can find plain grey hips at skateparks too and I wouldn't use them as a means to classify a city as one of the best to skate.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:28:12 PM by Pappy Jones »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2018, 12:09:50 AM »
Philly>NYC
SF>OAK, but The Bay (SF, SJ, The East Bay)>any other metropolitan area
Oakland could be better if they’d pave the fucking streets, but even with that, the lack of lawns in SF makes cruising hills through neighborhoods fun even if you spend all day just doing ollies

I’ve never figured out SD no matter how many times I’ve tried
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2018, 01:32:49 AM »
Seeing a lot about Seattle and NY.

How do they compare? Also, can anyone vouch for Portland? Or will I just end up drinking some pompous ipa and listening to Jens Lekman?

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2018, 01:53:01 AM »

How do they compare? Also, can anyone vouch for Portland? Or will I just end up drinking some pompous ipa and listening to Jens Lekman?
Seattles industrial district is grossly neglected and full of crusty gems. You can skate around the side alleys of Sodo and find some crazy good spots. Only spent limited time in Portland and never skated but i'm gunna try to skate there near the end of July so hopefully its just as dope as Seattle. I will say having a set of soft wheels to swap out is awesome up here in the pnw. I constantly swap out 78's with ceramics to 99's with reds depending on the enviroment and if i'm going long distances.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2018, 03:07:33 AM »
Never been, but Detroit looks pretty low bust which is something I give a lot of points to.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2018, 03:23:28 AM »
Albany for the Empire State plaza alone. I live in nyc so I would also say here too.

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2018, 08:24:56 AM »
NM, CO, AZ, TX, and Seattle ditches and temperate summers and hils just as rad as SF but not alot of the bs the bay area has.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »

Maybe I've just gotten unlucky but I've street skated around Portland multiple times in different areas and didn't find much.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »
I’m biased. Chicago and Detroit.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe I've just gotten unlucky but I've street skated around Portland multiple times in different areas and didn't find much.
there are street spots its you have to search them out, albeit find a person in the know. okay what east coasters and park rats call warming up at yada yada park or TF that is their spot, Portland has a shitload of pools and parks the warmup spots are the parks andbowls and Burnside, yeah I am going to TALK SHIT HOWEVER THE KOOKY LOCALISISM IS BULLSHIT...... got snaked twice and I think dudes need to chill on that shit. Street spots are there just have to be intuitive and search em out. Believe me I know and love that town.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Heavy Lurk

• Rep: 3
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »
The Denver area, lived in Colorado for a while, you can skate all year round, theres a million parks, all new-ish and made well unlike here in New England, plus they all have stadium lights and are lit up till at least 10 pm. Not really just the city i guess..

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2018, 02:39:27 PM »
Portland can be fun, but the streets and ground are terrible from the rain.  The city is also changing rapidly so old spots are disappearing with construction.  But new ones pop up too.  Plenty of fun parks.  There are some good spots if you're willing to explore.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »
Maybe I’m spoiled, but to me, if your city has rain more than 2/3rds of the year, its not a great skate city
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out