Author Topic: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme  (Read 239401 times)

Laban Fetus

Re: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme
« Reply #1140 on: March 22, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Supreme New York dudes that had tricks: Akira, Javier, Ty. Matt Mooney is in there too but no skating. Not surprised that we didn't see any Ryan Hickey clips. Good to see Pang and Charles Lamb in the credits.

Exposure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1141 on: March 22, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
I'm not mad and I wouldn't really consider that an attack. I find your Slap persona generic, middle of the road and you seem like a fence sitter waiting for the populous mood to form your opinion. If you're hurt by that I don't think I can do anything about it. What sort if help do you think I should seek?

All my opinions are completely my own, you really think my opinions are always the same as the majority on here? The fact that my opinions seem to piss people off would indicate the opposite. Idk what kind of help you need. But obviously you're upset about something in your real life if you need to take out your anger on strangers on the internet. Peace and love.
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

silentkid

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1142 on: March 22, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
watching that just made me feel so much like watching Kids for the first time. such a great take on portraying a certain scene on a certain point in time (as bill said he wanted to), but some of it just made me feel so uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:02:51 PM by silentkid »

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #1143 on: March 22, 2014, 11:16:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mentioned it before but I fucking love this shot.

[close]
yes that was my favorite too.  Bill just has that eye to capture good shots.  If this was a board graphic id cop +1
[close]

favorite shot. it was incredible.

I'm in my early 30's. I know these dudes are very well respected and not necessarily social outcasts or anything, but i liked seeing a little more grit. Has anyone mentioned the lipslide on the kinked hubba? That was insane!

i loved this shot, as well. creeped out at first but then noticed that the two were watching skateboarding. this whole segment was dope. it reminded me of the 90's and early FTC videos. this shot follows paulo diaz's skating to his own music (which he always did since the early 90s,. i still remember how bum he was at the nueve vidas de paco premiere because the sound on his part was off) and a bank to ledge skate session that felt like a late 80's session of a bus stop bench or parking block, and the mother f'n Wu making it on to the video soundtrack. and not to mention that after this shot dylan's part somewhat begins. in fact, "dylan is the darling" of the video.

this video totally exceeded my low expectations. it did live up to what strobeck had promised (hd that is not like the chocolate video, skater personalities, and people associated with the skate shop). it was never supposed to be the next questionable. and indeed, not even the next plan b video (whenever that comes out), will be the next questionable. the video did fall into cliches (teenagers emulating the marlboro man in an attempt to look cool), but hey, does originality even exist? i really like how strobeck kept it black and white for the most part and i hope that manolo puts together a non-artistic, very skate-only, edited version with skater names attached to the parts or at least that strobeck goes the emerica way and gives us a skate-heavy "b-sides."

big ups to paulo, though. i don't know how homeboy is doing it but it seems like adidas is still flowing him shoes. i wonder how you get your old sponsors to flow you product when you have been out of the spotlight for a while. i hope, however, that after his part in this vid, he does start getting paid by companies. totally digging that side-walk-surfer-karate-kid-sweep-the-flor-with-your-hand vibe.

-thanks supreme for making me want to go out there and push. and double-thanks for making it available on itunes so that i will never have to step foot in your store to get this shit. it would have been kool, though, if you would have never included a book with the dvd and charged $10-$15 bucks. oh, well, nothing is perfect.

tanginacat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1144 on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »
i watched this high. on youtube. god damn it i wanna watch it again. PM pls?  ::)

svoty 14'

Laban Fetus

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1146 on: March 22, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »
There was some amazing skating in it, but to me it comes off as pretty annoyingly pretentious at times.

I couldn't read the whole thread...has an allusion been made to the kid from gummo yet?

Showing those kids fighting was lame. I don't know what happened, and I'm not even trying to disparage the kid who was in the fight because I wasn't there. Putting it in the video is lame though, who wants to see a kid get punched in the face. Disturbing, and comes off like a hipster edited that shit in to show how "real street" he is now that he lives in the big city. I wrote this before he post above me showed up, but yeah, dudes involved feel shitty, video guy thinks he's got "cool footage" and glorifies the violence.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1147 on: March 22, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »
There was some amazing skating in it, but to me it comes off as pretty annoyingly pretentious at times.

I couldn't read the whole thread...has an allusion been made to the kid from gummo yet?

Showing those kids fighting was lame. I don't know what happened, and I'm not even trying to disparage the kid who was in the fight because I wasn't there. Putting it in the video is lame though, who wants to see a kid get punched in the face. Disturbing, and comes off like a hipster edited that shit in to show how "real street" he is now that he lives in the big city. I wrote this before he post above me showed up, but yeah, dudes involved feel shitty, video guy thinks he's got "cool footage" and glorifies the violence.

yeah i was thinking about this... its one thing for kids to be wild and crazy, but how old is Strobek, Dill and the guys editing the video?  i'm assuming he wasn't filming it, but he put it in there just seems lame and pathetic.  i hate seeing shit like that.

after second watch I enjoyed this a lot more, except for the entire cheif keef section.  the bank to wall section was my favorite.  guy's fakie bigspin, pressure flip line was sick.  still can't get over how good Dylan is.  great music.. .always love hearing Group Home.

i'm old

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #1148 on: March 22, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »
was sad wen dill got aids

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #1149 on: March 22, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »
Looks like AO has a conscience after all.  :D
http://olsonstuff.tumblr.com/post/80372645825/the-way-you-pushed-that-guy-telling-him-to-move-in

From the way the clip was edited it looks like he spazzed out on a special needs guy (with headphones?) for not hearing him mumble something. Maybe the guy was being a dick, but calling what he did "lame" on tumbler does convince me he has a conscience.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #1150 on: March 22, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »

You're too old for skating now. 

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #1151 on: March 22, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
Not to mention the kid throwing the punches has a cast on.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #1152 on: March 22, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well, half the dudes in that video are older than me.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #1153 on: March 22, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah i was thinking about this... its one thing for kids to be wild and crazy, but how old is Strobek, Dill and the guys editing the video?  i'm assuming he wasn't filming it, but he put it in there just seems lame and pathetic.  i hate seeing shit like that.

after second watch I enjoyed this a lot more, except for the entire cheif keef section.  the bank to wall section was my favorite.  guy's fakie bigspin, pressure flip line was sick.  still can't get over how good Dylan is.  great music.. .always love hearing Group Home.

i'm old

regan and bea,

i too am an old guy who had somewhat of a visceral reaction to the scenes mentioned above (ao, pops with smoker, dudes fighting, teen smokers, etc...).  however, these "filler" / "shock rock," scenes were exactly what i was expecting since first seeing the trailer. in fact, they happened a lot less than i expected. even though i am a father to a 2 year-old little girl and wouldn't want her exposed to such scenes, i don't blame strobeck for being lame like that. his client, supreme, has built an image off this rep. to me, at least, it is somewhat reminiscent of what the early world era would do with things like the "f'd up blind kids" pro-models or 90s "big brother" type of shock rock/ larry clark perverted videography. skating is still marketed to a young audience and the young audience thrives off dehumanizing imagery/content. i work with teenagers and skater and non-skater kids eat this shit up three times a day (in between this time they eat hot cheetos, lol). it is what it is because money and stupidity allows for this content to build an industry and consumer relationship.

bea, i like the guy footage too. i like how he seemed shocked to have landed the bigspin-blunt and strobeck or whoever was behind the lens says "flip trick" and guys bust a pressure flip, lol. classic. i also like how they show him roll into the steps after he hits the downtown l.a. brick banks that natas skated back in the day. i think it's those subtleties that make this video come together for me. but of course this does not mean that i wouldn't want a skate-only video.

regan,

overall i agree with your description that the video "comes off like a hipster edited that shit in to show how "real street" he is now that he lives in the big city."

-biggest bummer for me, though, was the lack of ave/dill skate footage. i honestly thought dudes were going to have a part. maybe this mean fa video in the works.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #1154 on: March 22, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »
watching that just made me feel so much like watching Kids for the first time. such a great take on portraying a certain scene on a certain point of time (as bill said he wanted to), but some of it just made me feel so uncomfortable.
I see what you mean. Kids fucked me up the first time I saw it. This had a similar affect in regards to production and the quality of skating.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1155 on: March 22, 2014, 01:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm old

[close]

regan and bea,

i too am an old guy who had somewhat of a visceral reaction to the scenes mentioned above (ao, pops with smoker, dudes fighting, teen smokers, etc...).  however, these "filler" / "shock rock," scenes were exactly what i was expecting since first seeing the trailer. in fact, they happened a lot less than i expected. even though i am a father to a 2 year-old little girl and wouldn't want her exposed to such scenes, i don't blame strobeck for being lame like that. his client, supreme, has built an image off this rep. to me, at least, it is somewhat reminiscent of what the early world era would do with things like the "f'd up blind kids" pro-models or 90s "big brother" type of shock rock/ larry clark perverted videography. skating is still marketed to a young audience and the young audience thrives off dehumanizing imagery/content. i work with teenagers and skater and non-skater kids eat this shit up three times a day (in between this time they eat hot cheetos, lol). it is what it is because money and stupidity allows for this content to build an industry and consumer relationship.

bea, i like the guy footage too. i like how he seemed shocked to have landed the bigspin-blunt and strobeck or whoever was behind the lens says "flip trick" and guys bust a pressure flip, lol. classic. i also like how they show him roll into the steps after he hits the downtown l.a. brick banks that natas skated back in the day. i think it's those subtleties that make this video come together for me. but of course this does not mean that i wouldn't want a skate-only video.

regan,

overall i agree with your description that the video "comes off like a hipster edited that shit in to show how "real street" he is now that he lives in the big city."

-biggest bummer for me, though, was the lack of ave/dill skate footage. i honestly thought dudes were going to have a part. maybe this mean fa video in the works.

it's funny though... i've heard mention of how this video has a 90's feel.  no way... this video is definitely 2014 hipstered-out Williamsburg/New York vibe.  Still, I enjoyed it

Would have loved to see more Ave.

nathand00d

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1156 on: March 22, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »
ben kadows nose manual down the black hubbas though.

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1157 on: March 22, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I agree with you. Fighting is fucking lame, and has nothing to do with being old at all.
If I filmed that I would have stepped in and told them to stop that bullshit, not just observe.

The old guy who thought Sean Pablo was as beautiful as a girl was creepy...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:30:13 PM by myrrh »

Laban Fetus

« Reply #1158 on: March 22, 2014, 01:36:02 PM »
What could you possibly expect from Bill and Dill? Two guys that came of age during the "hipster gentrification boom" of NYC circa early turn of the century. Yeah, some of it looks like an American Apparel ad with the flashy model shots or whatever. Who gives a fuck. There's nothing overly offensive about it. Plus I wanna screw that Aurel girl

Everything else was perfectly placed and executed IMO

johntsunami

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1159 on: March 22, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »
this video was fucking lame cause it was in black and white. i dont wanna watch that shit garbage

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #1160 on: March 22, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You're too old for skating now. �
[close]
[close]

I agree with you. Fighting is fucking lame, and has nothing to do with being old at all.
If I filmed that I would have stepped in and told them to stop that bullshit, not just observe.

The old guy who thought Sean Pablo was as beautiful as a girl was creepy...
seems like he was joking around how he tapped sage on the chest like look at this little fucboi, just poking fun at the kid for being a pretty boy.

ben kadows nose manual down the black hubbas though.
he did that ? i only remember him manualing it/thread the needle

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #1161 on: March 22, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »
I've been thinking about it, and I feel that this video uses the exploitation of the homeless/addicts to propagate their ideas of elitism and the idea that money makes you better than others. Lots of blatant disrespect to those people in the video.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

king_in_the_north

• Rep: 27
  • I'm not liquid john
« Reply #1162 on: March 22, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »
"I want my skateboard videos to look cool.  No, not that cool!  TOO MUCH! TOO MUCH!"
haha pretty spot on
also if you read my whole facebook timeline from back in 2007 then this will also prove that magic is real.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1163 on: March 22, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »
I've been thinking about it, and I feel that this video uses the exploitation of the homeless/addicts to propagate their ideas of elitism and the idea that money makes you better than others. Lots of blatant disrespect to those people in the video.

Did anyone find that Pops smoking scene or that AO scene where he pushed the guy cool, funny, or entertaining. I found it completely weird and disturbing.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #1164 on: March 22, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did anyone find that Pops smoking scene or that AO scene where he pushed the guy cool, funny, or entertaining. I found it completely weird and disturbing.

First your deslusional, "propagate their ideas of elitism", kek.

Fuck, you guys are square.  AO might have asked that guy 15 times to move, he says "goddamn it, I asked nicely."  The pops smoking scene is funny, fuck stoners.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:05:09 PM by Whatitdo? »

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1165 on: March 22, 2014, 04:08:56 PM »
I liked how they bleeped out the name of that attention seeking girl in the car. Serves her right.

Really dug Dylans skating in this, his style seems more normal again. Alot of crazy picnic table stuff.
Had to see it a few times for the tricks to sink in.

Yu Dum

« Reply #1166 on: March 22, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I found it really strange and sad. That's the only complaint I had about this video though.
Also, fuck Whatitdo?. That dude's a fucking kook.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1167 on: March 22, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fuck, you guys are square. �AO might have asked that guy 15 times to move, he says "goddamn it, I asked nicely." �The pops smoking scene is funny, fuck stoners.

Old guy had his back towards him, he prob didn't even hear him and prob had just got there and was getting something from his backpack. Atleast that's what it seemed like. He didn't look like he was trying to be a dick about it and not move. Pops scene and his skating was all cringe and face-palm for me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:20:31 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1168 on: March 22, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fuck, you guys are square.  AO might have asked that guy 15 times to move, he says "goddamn it, I asked nicely."  The pops smoking scene is funny, fuck stoners.
Want it more PG? Shit happens in the streets and you don't have to edit it out. It didnt look glorifies to me, just showing you how it is. Anyone remember that guy getting a one punch knockout in the Spitfire video? I'm not saying violence is awesome or fucking with drug users is cool or doing tricks over the homeless is funny but life in a big city means you've gotta roll with it.
[/quote]
"I want my skateboard videos to look cool.� No, not that cool!� TOO MUCH! TOO MUCH!"

BRIX SKWIKZ

• Rep: -84
« Reply #1169 on: March 22, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:35:11 PM by BRIX SKWIKZ »