Author Topic: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme  (Read 239414 times)

SonictheHedgehog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Re: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme
« Reply #1260 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
Eli Reed's switch shuv over the table was sick
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 251
« Reply #1261 on: March 23, 2014, 09:16:21 PM »

skateboard pillows

• Rep: 6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1262 on: March 23, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »
I wouldn't be upset if posed/leaned back boards became the new yo flip

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #1263 on: March 23, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
i liked it.  the courthouse drop part was sick.

the FA kids are way good.
Twin Perks

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #1264 on: March 23, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »

Also no Jake Johnson or Austyn Gillete? I thought they were boys with Strobeck.

Just a guess to why Jake wasnt in it, bill did mention that he tried getting a hold of some people but couldn't get them to come film. He does seem pretty holed up in San Fran atm. There's also the off chance that Jake is trying to distance himself from supreme and that whole new York crew.

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #1265 on: March 23, 2014, 11:08:07 PM »
Jason Dill is such a kook. He looks fucking ridiculous and just makes fun of people who look just as stupid as he does. And holy shit does he like the word fuck. I mean I like the word too, but damn.

Overall the video was pretty strange, but also very entertaining to watch. Bordered on being weird for the sake of being weird though.

It was pretty much a video of the weirdest people in skateboarding. All these dudes probably need a psychiatric evaluation but they are pretty damn good at skateboarding.

I give it a B+

yapple dapple

« Reply #1266 on: March 23, 2014, 11:58:49 PM »
I'm I the only one who see's the undertones? Larry Clark meets Chase Gabor.
I'm a gay dude, but can see when a prev likes young boys.

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1267 on: March 24, 2014, 01:35:19 AM »
Well it's already having an impact. Kids at the park quoting the video and using it as their fashion bible. We're talking small town Australia here, so I think Supreme/FA kids will be the next Baker wannabes.

Whatever, I guess it could be worse. Video was good, but I think it's kind of lame that it focuses so much on the new kids. They're good skaters and all, but when you think about all the legends that have been involved with Supreme, it's a bit of a shame that these newjacks get all the shine.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #1268 on: March 24, 2014, 02:04:26 AM »
Ive had "8ball, 8ball... skateboard" stuck in my head since first watch

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #1269 on: March 24, 2014, 04:42:19 AM »
I liked it. It's pretty much what I was expecting from Bill. I was hoping for a few more OG appearances myself but enjoyed the video nevertheless

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1270 on: March 24, 2014, 05:11:28 AM »
didnt know he was a fan

mfkream

« Reply #1271 on: March 24, 2014, 05:57:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought Pops was gonna have decent footy based on IG photos. I even remember someone on here saying they saw him filming a line. How can someone get so much worse at skating at a relatively young age?
[close]
You know when Gonz is going harder than you at 45 that you need to step it up. It's not surprising that the most influential skater of all time can still throw down though. Did anyone see that backtail on a ledge he does towards the end super nonchalantly?
[close]

thought i was the only one who noticed it.

GONZ DOES A BACKTAIL IN THIS VIDEO, in case someone didn't notice

I thought that was Vinny Ponte.

littlefuckboy

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1272 on: March 24, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »

littlefuckboy

« Reply #1273 on: March 24, 2014, 06:51:47 AM »
this vid makes me wanna skate nyc so bad

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1274 on: March 24, 2014, 07:05:28 AM »
Cherry is the best Vid I have seen since Baker 3G , amazing vid .

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1275 on: March 24, 2014, 07:13:32 AM »
watched it for the 3rd time and was able to just ignore the stuff i think is wack and enjoy the skating, kinda wish he didnt use that swag yolo rap song for the courthouse shit still though

littlefuckboy

« Reply #1276 on: March 24, 2014, 08:22:45 AM »
does anyone know who the kid in the beginning is that looks like 'dash' from the invincibles?

Hannity

« Reply #1277 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
i hope great minds are in the process right now of coming up with witty interpretations and evaluations of the movie. i'm not one of them, but i'd love to hear how people are making sense of all the themes and over/undertones in bill's work.

this was, like someone else said, pretty much exactly what i was expecting and hoping for from bill. koston's tricks sprinkled in was icing on the cake. overall just timeless skating and weird street vibes. so, an instant classic IMO. the video could have been a lot more lifestyle footage, guys...  

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #1278 on: March 24, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »
Hey guys just letting you know that I am setting up a not for much profit group called  "Non-Alex Olson's For The Ethical Treatment Of Old Mens Knapsacks" (NOFETOMK).  I would like to put together a citizens on patrol type group that follows Alex with a can of pepper/bear spray and a really good grammar checker app.

I'll post a link once I get the PayPal setup and remember to donate generously and often or I swear by Pippi Longstockings braids that I'll slap your grandfather in the face with the floppy sole of a Chuck Taylor.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #1279 on: March 24, 2014, 09:06:53 AM »
i hope great minds are in the process right now of coming up with witty interpretations and evaluations of the movie. i'm not one of them, but i'd love to hear how people are making sense of all the themes and over/undertones in bill's work.

:

If photosynthesis was the love park video and penal code was an EMB video then cherry is the Instagram video. Most of the skaters in this video received most of their hype from Instagram clips/photos. Almost all of them were no names outside of tyshawn who was getting toy machines flow. Usually you see loads of 'mag-centric' content 4 years before something like this 'comes out' but this videos an interesting study in buzz / a new way to hype a video up via 4 year cycles.

Usually if a tenured buzz human with an authentic personal brand posts something on Instagram for 'you and 18600 of your closest friends' there's 3 ways to look at it:

1. You're getting an honest opinion shared only with his closest friends....and the entire internet.

2. If the post doesn't align with your personal brand you either realign your beliefs or become 'a h8r'

3. It doesn't matter what gets posted, because you're forced to have an opinion on it.

Most skaters never get the opportunity to be liked or disliked. Forcing someone to choose via volume posting is an effective way to get your preferred content out there. Who is this little negro dancing around? Why does bill like him? Why is dill spending so much time with him without parental supervision? There must be something to it.

Using montages was a great idea. Not because it creates a mood and adds an identity to their skating but because it doesn't give you a chance to judge anyone. No one has names everyone does the same tricks. You can't judge one skater without judging the person next to him. 'Everything is embarrassing' or it has 'heavy metal heart' . In a neatly packaged part I get an opportunity to judge every aspect of his being from clothes, lifestyle, song selection, trick selection and tone but in the montage format each persons vibe rubs off on the other & your attention loses focus. Strobeck has curated a masterpiece: he's found a way to immunize himself and the people around him from criticism.

There was lots of amorphous buzz for the FA kids and Instagram was the go to way to ~guess~ how good someone is. You're only option is to build up the skater in your mind because these tenured guys adore him/her. When the video 'dropped' It didn't matter what ______ did, its better than the meager content you were getting before.

Do you guys remember clusterfuck ? The first video after mind field was over ? People say there was no hype cycle for a strobeck/supreme video but you can go far back and read interviews about him wanting to make a video. I'm pretty sure this is it. In the end he was smarter than his fan base, he was able to seed his content and create hype for a video without being upfront about it. It was a video five years in the making without being a video five years in the making. This is the new video hype model.  
This format also leads you to the obvious question: what's the difference between a Trunk Boy? and an FA kid ?

Trunk Boyz? are interesting because they weren't seeded correctly like the FA kids were. They have as much tenured buzz support as the FA kids, both groups of kids were artificially grouped together by team managers(Sam Smyth)/older ppl(bill strobeck) and both groups of kids are 'just discovering alcohol for the first time'  but the Trunk Boyz? are the only ones called artificial.

I think this speaks to the power of seeding ideas via Instagram. Crailtap didn't give ppl enough time to process their existence via web clips, crail couches, days in the lives, Instagram clips, thrasher burnouts over a multi year period, or a chance to be artfully edited by alt videographers allowing them to co-opt someone else's personal brand into authenticity. It might have been easier to get ppl to buy into #trunkboys if it was merely a hashtag and some mysterious Instagram photos for a couple months before it became a branded experience with trademarked boards and t-shirts. maybe they needed more interviews from mike Carroll. Maybe they needed another beauty and the beast tour.  Maybe they needed more opportunities to get 'deep web' clips with the gonz or atiba for ppl to mine and present on also like a piece of gold. Imagine if they 'traded places' with the FA kids. who would u like? Who would u h8?

is co-branding yourself with someone else's authenticity 'cheating' ? you never have to stand on your own two feet that way or 'be your own person'. seems like a great way to exist. I wish i was born into it, Suckling on the buzz of Alex Olson's floppy teets, being nurtured with William strobecks camera wall. Getting @'ed by relevant ppl toward a higher plane of relevance. Getting lots of inteviews with blogs and free supreme swag and a lucrative shoe contract. I hope one day I get adopted by dill & ave foster home for relevance. I'm thinking of running away and getting some hair gel.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #1280 on: March 24, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
the video is good.  Why all of the over analyzation on this?

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #1281 on: March 24, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
Much better than I expected.

I bet you they all really love Palace...

Especially Fat Bill...
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

dick wolf

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1282 on: March 24, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
I was surprised at how good these kids are.  I really had no idea they were that good from the youtube clips or whatever.  I was pleasantly surprised. And lol at the Worldstar stuff.  I wanted to dislike this, being completely honest, and I actually really liked it.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #1283 on: March 24, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »

Especially Fat Bill...

Really the whole video, but the last two songs especially reminded me of Palace
wash uffize drive me to firenze

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #1284 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

:

Expand Quote

If photosynthesis was the love park video and penal code was an EMB video then cherry is the Instagram video. Most of the skaters in this video received most of their hype from Instagram clips/photos. Almost all of them were no names outside of tyshawn who was getting toy machines flow. Usually you see loads of 'mag-centric' content 4 years before something like this 'comes out' but this videos an interesting study in buzz / a new way to hype a video up via 4 year cycles.

Usually if a tenured buzz human with an authentic personal brand posts something on Instagram for 'you and 18600 of your closest friends' there's 3 ways to look at it:

1. You're getting an honest opinion shared only with his closest friends....and the entire internet.

2. If the post doesn't align with your personal brand you either realign your beliefs or become 'a h8r'

3. It doesn't matter what gets posted, because you're forced to have an opinion on it.

Most skaters never get the opportunity to be liked or disliked. Forcing someone to choose via volume posting is an effective way to get your preferred content out there. Who is this little negro dancing around? Why does bill like him? Why is dill spending so much time with him without parental supervision? There must be something to it.

Using montages was a great idea. Not because it creates a mood and adds an identity to their skating but because it doesn't give you a chance to judge anyone. No one has names everyone does the same tricks. You can't judge one skater without judging the person next to him. 'Everything is embarrassing' or it has 'heavy metal heart' . In a neatly packaged part I get an opportunity to judge every aspect of his being from clothes, lifestyle, song selection, trick selection and tone but in the montage format each persons vibe rubs off on the other & your attention loses focus. Strobeck has curated a masterpiece: he's found a way to immunize himself and the people around him from criticism.

There was lots of amorphous buzz for the FA kids and Instagram was the go to way to ~guess~ how good someone is. You're only option is to build up the skater in your mind because these tenured guys adore him/her. When the video 'dropped' It didn't matter what ______ did, its better than the meager content you were getting before.

Do you guys remember clusterfuck ? The first video after mind field was over ? People say there was no hype cycle for a strobeck/supreme video but you can go far back and read interviews about him wanting to make a video. I'm pretty sure this is it. In the end he was smarter than his fan base, he was able to seed his content and create hype for a video without being upfront about it. It was a video five years in the making without being a video five years in the making. This is the new video hype model.  
This format also leads you to the obvious question: what's the difference between a Trunk Boy? and an FA kid ?

Trunk Boyz? are interesting because they weren't seeded correctly like the FA kids were. They have as much tenured buzz support as the FA kids, both groups of kids were artificially grouped together by team managers(Sam Smyth)/older ppl(bill strobeck) and both groups of kids are 'just discovering alcohol for the first time'  but the Trunk Boyz? are the only ones called artificial.

I think this speaks to the power of seeding ideas via Instagram. Crailtap didn't give ppl enough time to process their existence via web clips, crail couches, days in the lives, Instagram clips, thrasher burnouts over a multi year period, or a chance to be artfully edited by alt videographers allowing them to co-opt someone else's personal brand into authenticity. It might have been easier to get ppl to buy into #trunkboys if it was merely a hashtag and some mysterious Instagram photos for a couple months before it became a branded experience with trademarked boards and t-shirts. maybe they needed more interviews from mike Carroll. Maybe they needed another beauty and the beast tour.  Maybe they needed more opportunities to get 'deep web' clips with the gonz or atiba for ppl to mine and present on also like a piece of gold. Imagine if they 'traded places' with the FA kids. who would u like? Who would u h8?

is co-branding yourself with someone else's authenticity 'cheating' ? you never have to stand on your own two feet that way or 'be your own person'. seems like a great way to exist. I wish i was born into it, Suckling on the buzz of Alex Olson's floppy teets, being nurtured with William strobecks camera wall. Getting @'ed by relevant ppl toward a higher plane of relevance. Getting lots of inteviews with blogs and free supreme swag and a lucrative shoe contract. I hope one day I get adopted by dill & ave foster home for relevance. I'm thinking of running away and getting some hair gel.

[close]

Are the super-slow-motion shots a subtle jab at Pretty Sweet? Otherwise I don't think there is any slow motion in the entire video.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #1285 on: March 24, 2014, 10:18:29 AM »
the video is good.  Why all of the over analyzation on this?

because slap

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #1286 on: March 24, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »
I'll just leave this here in case the other links dry up or anyone missed watching it the first time round...

http://mudozine.com/2014/03/24/supreme-presents-cherry-a-video-by-william-strobeck/

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3342
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #1287 on: March 24, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »

Totally. I was like, "Um...what's with all the close-ups of twinks skating with their shirts off." Seemed to cross that invisible line between "artsy" and "pervy".

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
« Reply #1288 on: March 24, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #1289 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote

Especially Fat Bill...
[close]

Really the whole video, but the last two songs especially reminded me of Palace

One of the songs (Gang Gang Dance's "Vacuum"), is a direct port from Gangbangin' At Ground Zero.

Your telling me that Mr. Strobeck either hasn't seen the aforementioned Palace tape or couldn't find something else?

Suspect I say, suspect.

I had to get at least one gripe in over a "Supreme" video..
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"