Author Topic: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme  (Read 239401 times)

Exposure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
Re: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme
« Reply #1441 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Also, what other pro owns a fucking antique store? None. Groundbreaking.
[close]

Could've sworn FORE has/had an antique store. 'Saying.

(full disclosure: I enjoy Dylan's skateboard riding and many of his fashion choices)
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
SPB!

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #1442 on: April 03, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »
http://skateboarding.transworld.net/1000194496/photos/interview-bill-strobeck/
Good read for sure. It seems that Bill is genuinely happy with the video and skateboarding. I was happy to read the interview, he seems like a humble guy. Loved his stoke on Questionable

congrats bill!
MN -> IL

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #1443 on: April 03, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For some reason It seems Dylan is abusing the "The Heath Style"

Looks like everytime he lands he keeps the Pose a little to long, the Paused Arm lay back, Look back
I can see he really likes Heaths Mindfield Part

Now everytime I see him on the "Cherry " video I can't help but focus on the Arm Pose ...Don't get me wrong, The dude rips
[close]

hes beautiful, stylish, and groundbreaking on a skateboard.� quit worrying about it and enjoy the stunts
[close]
What has Dylan ever done on a skateboard that is "groundbreaking?"
[close]
Impossible on a waist high bench. Impossible tailgrab over a ten foot fence. Invented the high-fashion-skate-model.
[close]
So biting Ed Templeton is groundbreaking these days? Doing different tricks at spots that have already been skating is groundbreaking these days? And wasn't Peter Bici a Calvin Klein model in the '90's?

Dylan is clearly talented, but he seems to swim in the wake of true groundbreakers.

This has to be the best caricature of an online forum poster.

spliffMODE

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1444 on: April 09, 2014, 03:20:51 AM »
Did anyone else get a few "Kids" flashbacks when they were watching this?

I really dug this video !

Strobeck sprinkled gold dust all over this one for sure
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:29:59 AM by spliffMODE »

Jake "The Snake" Roberts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1445 on: April 15, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #1446 on: April 15, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »
Dill's backside flip over the bar in Paris would have been really sick.
MN -> IL

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1447 on: April 16, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »
Finally watched it.

Real question: Why no Sean Powers footy

ps PM me for a link to the video. Found one.

nothing's been the since same

CreepySweaty

• Rep: 60
  • i am mitchie brusco i have done the 1080
« Reply #1448 on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
Does any euro guy has find a way to order the DVD?

A haunting question.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1449 on: April 16, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
http://hypebeast.com/2014/4/a-conversation-with-william-strobeck-on-supremes-cherry

In the months leading up to ?cherry,? the general populous was surprised that Supreme would bother with making a skate video. After all, this area of the Internet is likely more familiar with the brand as a fashion outpost influenced by skateboarding rather than a place to buy decks or bearings. In the wake of the film?s release though, it?s easy to see just how much Supreme fits in. Or maybe it stands out; if ever there was a video that would shift perceptions and create new opinions about skateboarding, right now, in 2014, it has to be ?cherry.?

It?s a bit ironic that of all the anticipated full-length video releases over the past few years, Supreme?s offering is, for once, the least exclusive. Directed and captained by none other than William Strobeck, the film has a way of capturing relatable subtleties of skating, yet does its best to champion the people ? some skaters, some outsiders ? that make street skating and city life so interesting. We were given the opportunity to interview Strobeck as he returned from traveling to promote the film, where the filmmaker detailed his decisions in editing, filming with Paulo Diaz, and his plans for the future. Enjoy the conversation below, and be sure to pick up ?cherry? on iTunes if you haven?t already.

How does it feel to have ?cherry,? your first full-length video finished?

[It] feels good, my heart is full. The feedback has been beyond positive [and I?ve] been getting hit up everyday by people about it.

Did you notice any way that the different crowds reacted at each premiere?

Yeah, [they were] all different, I liked that. A lot of people reacted to the same stuff in the video.

In Japan I had a translator, which was interesting. I?d talk, then the translator would talk? then the crowd would laugh. Pretty funny, I liked it. Overall it was positive, and [it] seemed liked everyone loved the video, so that?s great.

What?s the culture of filming like in Los Angeles versus New York? Which do you prefer?

I prefer NY just because I like to skate down the street. If I wanna stop for a [second] and get water or something, it?s on every corner. I prefer the scenery in NY as well. With L.A., if [you?re] with the right person at the right spot, it?s equally as good I guess. Also: you just get more done in L.A. in a quicker amount of time. [I?m] very productive in LA.

Did you work with any contributing filmers for the video?

Overall, I filmed most of it. But yeah, there were times when I couldn?t be in L.A. and was filming in NY, so I had a few people go out for me a lil? bit. [The person] who helped the most was Logan Lara.

Was it tough streamlining such an eclectic group of dudes in the same video, especially considering your mention of ?cherry? prominently highlighting personalities? Did that affect your choice to divide the video into sections rather than individual parts?

No, the reason why it?s a scramble of footage is [that] I really like to see clips next to certain other clips ? like in a certain spot ? and when editing to music, it becomes even more noticeable where something belongs or fits.

Like for example: Sage comes in and out of the video all the way through. It?s like one long video part, he isn?t just at the section (some might say) is the ?kids? section. I really just think it?s one long video part from beginning to end for everyone in it ? that?s how I look at it. I made it hoping people would watch it like a movie from start to finish.

What prompted you to include that clip of Anthony Pappalardo and that other gentleman on Water Street? That seemed like a pretty polarizing clip and it seems like people have hung onto that one a bit.

That clip got a funny reaction at every showing of the video. It?s really 30 minutes long, I just took 20 seconds of it. You see how Anthony and I are talking in that section? That?s how we act with people in general, basically because it entertains us. That guy just happened to be in Downtown Manhattan after Hurricane Sandy, so [the area] was empty ? no one was around. He ran into us and asked us to smoke weed, so the clip just unraveled from there. Call us dicks for it, but that was real life ? that really happened. I was just documenting it.

That dude was trippy: he took a Greyhound across the country to meet a girl he met online, who ended up not answering when he got to town. He was into Evanescence (the band) and was involved with World of Warcraft. Those are the type of people you?ll meet lurking around New York City, and I wanted to show that other side of skating.

I was reading your interview with Quartersnacks and you mentioned that Supreme has ?a kind of fashion vibe to it.? Do you perceive Supreme as a skateboarding brand making a skate video or something else entirely? Not that all brands should be ?boxed in? per se?

I think of Supreme as its own entity. It?s just such a strong solid company that has stuck to its guns since day one. It is a skate shop overall but I don?t look at it as just that. It?s a bunch of things mixed together and presented in the right way? always has been.

Who did you end up filming with the most for the video? Did you get to film enough with everyone that you wanted?

Yeah, I got to film enough. I would?ve pushed the deadline [back] if I didn?t feel comfortable with the footage I was sitting on. I got to a certain [point] and I was like: okay, I think I got it, it?s a wrap.

I think I ended up filming with Tyshawn Jones the most, or if anything he was out skating with me the most? even if we weren?t filming. The courthouse [on Centre Street] is such a bust that it?s hard to get stuff done. We had to go there a lot during this video, [but] he did a good job.

Was there ever a conversation about involving other people in the Supreme family? They have a store in London, and a bunch of stores in Japan ? both of which have renowned skate scenes.

Yes. I wanted to include everyone, but I was so focused on everyone here [in the U.S.] that I couldn?t travel overseas. I asked the London kids to film and send [the footage], but it didn?t pan out. Also I didn?t want the video too long. If I had got some stuff, I [would?ve] put it in. Lucien Clarke came to New York, so he made it in.

On that note, what was the process of filming with Paulo Diaz like? That segment really cemented the raw and organic vibe that ?cherry? seemed in pursuit of.

Yeah, he?s definitely fitting for sure. [He?s] just one of my favorite skaters ever. The story about him being in the video is: I had heard he was coming around the L.A. shop a bit here and there. So, I asked [Jason] Dill if he?d try to get Paulo to film something for the video; I was in New York at the time. Then, I went out there for the winter and met Paulo. He was just down to go out: I?d go pick him up, bring him boards and shoes from Supreme, and he?d just be so psyched to skate. It?s like he was waiting the whole time to film for ?cherry?. I [would] suggest things and he?d do them, he was down to be around and I wanted to document every moment. I had a lot of fun with Paulo.

It seems like this video was being filmed for a while, and I?m assuming that most of the main skaters involved were pretty productive. Is there leftover footage to go to other projects, e.g. Bianca Chandon or Fucking Awesome?

There is a little of leftover footage, but I think I didn?t use it for a reason. I used all the stuff [that] I felt strongly about for ?cherry?. [There?s] no need to just spit out more stuff since the final project is out.

What was the spot searching process like? How would you describe the split between you and the skater suggesting spots?

A lot of these people are good at finding spots they felt were appealing to the eye, and more importantly, wanted to skate. I would suggest tricks sometimes and really work with the person on trying to get what I thought was best for the video. It was a real collaboration for sure. For example: I told Paulo to do the manual airwalk, and to nollie [over] the homeless lady. He did it and I love those clips a lot, it?s what I wanted to see him doing in the video.

Would you ever do another full-length skate video or do you see skateboarding as necessarily moving away from that?

I would, I think. I think it?s important that kids get DVDs, hard copies, still. Companies should keep making [videos in] that style. It?s nice to have something to hold, collect and look at. Skateboarding is moving away from that, doing stuff online ? every day, all day. It?s so disposable, [it] seems like no one cares about the art of it. Everyone puts so much work into a full length, just to put it online? I guess exposure is good for a company, but I feel like I wanna hide work now. [I?d rather people say] like: ?did you find a copy of that video,? ?do you own a copy,? or ?can I come over and watch it?? That?s the style I?m going for.

Also: one day, I will make a full-length non-skate movie. I got the itch.

As far as your portfolio is concerned: you seem like a person with a bunch of endeavors; invested in other interests outside of skateboarding. Moving from ?cherry,? do you want to focus on more ?core? skating cinematography or something else?

I?m going to keep doing what I?m doing and following my heart and working with the people that I?m down for and that I like. It?s funny, more than once people in my family are always like: ?you should shoot the X-Games, there?s a lot of money involved.?

I mean, can you really see me shooting that? Hell no, I?m looking at this from an artist?s standpoint, as this is the work that I?ll be leaving behind. [This is] for people to see when I?m gone; what people will have known me for. I?m hyped ?cherry? is in there now and not an X-Games reel. Basically, you are what you leave behind.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
« Reply #1450 on: April 17, 2014, 03:37:30 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Looks like everytime he lands he keeps the Pose a little to long, the Paused Arm lay back, Look back

Now everytime I see him on the "Cherry " video I can't help but focus on the Arm Pose ...Don't get me wrong, The dude rips
[close]

hes beautiful, stylish, and groundbreaking on a skateboard.? quit worrying about it and enjoy the stunts
[close]
[close]
Impossible on a waist high bench. Impossible tailgrab over a ten foot fence. Invented the high-fashion-skate-model.
[close]
So biting Ed Templeton is groundbreaking these days? Doing different tricks at spots that have already been skating is groundbreaking these days? And wasn't Peter Bici a Calvin Klein model in the '90's?

Dylan is clearly talented, but he seems to swim in the wake of true groundbreakers.
[close]

Groundbreaking skate shoe. Groundbreaking ability to always be smoking whilst a camera is pointed in his direction.

Plus NO ONE should hate on Dylan because he got Berra kicked off Alien. Groundbreaking.

Didn't Forrest Kirby own a antique furniture store in NYC....I remember that from an interview a few years back

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #1451 on: April 17, 2014, 08:04:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

hes beautiful, stylish, and groundbreaking on a skateboard.? quit worrying about it and enjoy the stunts
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Groundbreaking skate shoe. Groundbreaking ability to always be smoking whilst a camera is pointed in his direction.

Plus NO ONE should hate on Dylan because he got Berra kicked off Alien. Groundbreaking.

[close]

Didn't Forrest Kirby own a antique furniture store in NYC....I remember that from an interview a few years back

yea. May have been in Miami though?

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1452 on: April 17, 2014, 08:17:55 AM »
I keep flip-flopping between whether or not I should buy a physical copy of this... I feel like this is going to go down as one of those iconic skate videos.

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 251
« Reply #1453 on: April 17, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1455 on: April 17, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #1456 on: April 17, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »
I keep flip-flopping between whether or not I should buy a physical copy of this... I feel like this is going to go down as one of those iconic skate videos.

isn't it sold out by now? Doubt they'd produce more copies
You snooze you lose

pantless

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1457 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:33 PM »
What's all this talk about Pappalardo falling off? The dude's clearly on his a-game.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1458 on: April 17, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You snooze you lose

I was thinking the same about a week ago, ended up buying it online last week and when i checked the next day they were sold out.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1459 on: April 17, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You snooze you lose
[close]

I was thinking the same about a week ago, ended up buying it online last week and when i checked the next day they were sold out.

chu win sum chu lose sum
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1460 on: April 17, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You snooze you lose
[close]

[close]

chu win sum chu lose sum

Yup, good thing I bought it for 20 on their site. I see it at 50+ on eBay already. I wonder if this will go to a ridiculous amount through time like all the other basic supreme gear.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182

pantless

« Reply #1462 on: April 18, 2014, 05:22:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You snooze you lose
[close]

[close]

chu win sum chu lose sum
[close]

Yup, good thing I bought it for 20 on their site. I see it at 50+ on eBay already. I wonder if this will go to a ridiculous amount through time like all the other basic supreme gear.

Don't you guys get it? This is art, not skateboarding, and art is NOT intended to be held in greasy punk hands like yours. It's supposed to be kept sealed in its original packaging for maximum appreciation in value, never to be exposed to the harsh qualities of our earthly atmosphere. Get a clue for fuck's sake.

Nosesalad

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1463 on: April 18, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
pretty good clip of kevin bradley from terpening's instagram

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #1464 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:02 AM »

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #1465 on: April 18, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »

Does anyone have a link to his full cliche part?

033sb

« Reply #1466 on: April 18, 2014, 10:52:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Does anyone have a link to his full cliche part?

some kind of re-edit of it

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1467 on: April 18, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
Kevin Bradley is dope. Dude will go pro for FA for sure.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #1468 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »
I watched Cherry for the first time yesterday. Interesting format. I liked the long mixed montage stlye. I would have loved to have seen the look on some of the Pops lovers' faces when they saw his footage. Man his clips were beyond an awkward level of shit. Even I could have done his moves (which weren't especially stylish or creative) and I'm far from special on a board! Hilarious given the hype for a comeback.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #1469 on: April 18, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Kevin Bradley is dope. Dude will go pro for FA for sure.

Yeah, he has a really mature style. His Cliche part was great, surprised he didn't get more love at the time.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE