Author Topic: Tom Penny  (Read 17372 times)

handsclapanin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
Re: Tom Penny
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Some of the comments below that video.

Expand Quote
Pretty good summary for the young generation I'd say. Here's my personal sighting: at the first Lausanne contest in 96 (I think). He got fourth after Koston, Chris Senn and other heayweights but what struck me is that 1, he was drinking beer (a lot....) during the contest and 2, he never warmed up. Like he would sit on his board for 45 minutes, get up when he was called and just do his run and rip the course, with no warm-up whatsoever. Also him and another pro (Kareem maybe ? I’m not sure) did a sort of hippie jump over the car that was on the course, with the board flying through both windows. The other pro ate shit a few times but Penny landed it like perfect the firt time he decided to commit. A few years later I saw him again at a demo in Paris (Glissexpo) and it was pretty much the same show all over again. Living legend for sure.
[close]
[close]

ha that was my comment! And yes it was Clyde Singleton, I wasn't sure. The line-up was so epic for that contest: Petersen, Donny Bradley, Koston, Carroll, Rick Howard, Burnquist, Hufnagel, Chris Senn, Fred Gall, Tim Brauch (RIP), Kareem, Singleton etc etc... it was nuts watching them all on the course!
But that hippie jump was at Lausanne Switzerland, not in the UK. Or did he do it twice?
anyways here's the 411, it starts at 25'21....but the hippie jump is unfortunately not included

The hippie jump was Penny and Tbone. And it's in that video you posted. In the openers @ 1:00

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 10:52:45 PM »
Epic penny footage in this.
I watched this before school every morning, golden age flip  ;D

Sexytoes69

• Rep: -4
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 11:04:45 PM »
don't call shit on Radrat plz. dude cool in my book.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 11:41:18 PM »
Was the hippie jump in Life in the Fastlane?  It's been forever so I can't remember for sure but maybe?

It was in a 411 euro vid

EDIT:

30:10

Whoops, I missed that someone found it already
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:48:35 PM by Dark Knight »

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 01:15:08 AM »
But that hippie jump was at Lausanne Switzerland, not in the UK. Or did he do it twice?
anyways here's the 411, it starts at 25'21....but the hippie jump is unfortunately not included

Yes you are right Hippie Jump in Lausanne and the Gonz Car slam in the UK about 2 years later, think this was the first contest the Euro Gap made its debut.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 02:13:06 AM »
RadRat is awesome. He's so nerdy, yet so true to himself, that you can't really hate on the guy. There's only so much you could topically cover in skating, but I'd love to see his channel grow more (how crazy would it be if he got picked up by thrasher like gary or something -- doubt it though).

The legendary ghost bs 5-0 shuv out he talks about seems descernable to me: if you look slow/closely, u could see his lead foot/leg follow the shuv, almost appearing like he's shifting his feet into a bs tailslide position, then back to regular. He does it in a pretty fast motion. I think the fact he's wearing black plants (it blends his legs together too much) and the angle of the camera makes it seem more mystical then it actually was. It's a bit of an illusion, still cool, though.

Reminds me of that famous Tom Chambers dunk where he goes for a 2hand, bumps into a guy & catches extra hangtime. It's a thing of beauty:  

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 02:47:42 AM »

so not only did I misspell Barley into Bradley, forget Gonz in the line-up but I actually managed to miss the hippie jump twice in that vid...
I went straight to the end of that 411 cause if my memory serves me right, they had this best trick over the car contest after the street finals. Might be wrong again though!
anyways I remember that hippie jump took a while! On the first tries, the board would always get stuck in the car... Then someone put some plywood over the car seats and it started working out. Penny made it easily but as I said Olson ate shit a few times, which made him seem more human. Actually that got me thinking: is there any footage of Penny slamming?? I don't recall him ever paying the piper or getting seriously hurt. Just too gifted I guess. Must be nice!

One last thing about that best trick: this german dude, Markus Jurgensen, shocked me as well with super easy and smooth switch ollies over the car. Noone else did any switch trick over the car. It was really surprising to see a total unknown european giving the american pros a run for their money, especially for the time.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 02:57:00 AM »

so not only did I misspell Barley into Bradley, forget Gonz in the line-up but I actually managed to miss the hippie jump twice in that vid...
I went straight to the end of that 411 cause if my memory serves me right, they had this best trick over the car contest after the street finals. Might be wrong again though!
anyways I remember that hippie jump took a while! On the first tries, the board would always get stuck in the car... Then someone put some plywood over the car seats and it started working out. Penny made it easily but as I said Olson ate shit a few times, which made him seem more human. Actually that got me thinking: is there any footage of Penny slamming?? I don't recall him ever paying the piper or getting seriously hurt. Just too gifted I guess. Must be nice!

One last thing about that best trick: this german dude, Markus Jurgensen, shocked me as well with super easy and smooth switch ollies over the car. Noone else did any switch trick over the car. It was really surprising to see a total unknown european giving the american pros a run for their money, especially for the time.

Ha, Juergensen was a legend in Hamburg, Germany when I was growing up. I went skating with him once when I had just been at it for a year or two and didn't know anything. He did sw 180s over these hip-high wooden barricades first try. When I asked him how he could ollie that high he said: 'I use my feet.'

He later did sw fs noseblunt on the upper part of the Sants benches in Barcelona, but seemingly never really made it out of Germany reputation-wise.

oneOone

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 04:02:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha, Juergensen was a legend in Hamburg, Germany when I was growing up. I went skating with him once when I had just been at it for a year or two and didn't know anything. He did sw 180s over these hip-high wooden barricades first try. When I asked him how he could ollie that high he said: 'I use my feet.'

He later did sw fs noseblunt on the upper part of the Sants benches in Barcelona, but seemingly never really made it out of Germany reputation-wise.

From what I remember he was down with Smolik and the Shortys crew back in the day - he has some tricks here:

"Recent" footage:

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 04:03:18 AM »
Epic penny footage in this.
I watched this before school every morning, golden age flip  ;D

0:36  -Boulala looks enigmatic. -(is he giving that dude some asthma medication?)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:05:28 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

DM

• Rep: 25
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 04:17:05 AM »
Gonz/Duffy crash was at Vans Generation 97 at Wembley Arena. I was there and witnessed that crash first hand, was gnarly.
This is the comp where Isuck ollied over the fence off the steep flat bank.
http://youtu.be/XSatSCV1Hhs?t=21m30s
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:21:38 AM by DM »

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

From what I remember he was down with Smolik and the Shortys crew back in the day - he has some tricks here:

"Recent" footage:

Ha, thanks for sharing these, so many of the old Hamburg legends in one place! Juergensen raved out pretty hard in the end.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 07:13:22 AM »
I'm high and confused and posted something irrelevant and am replacing it with this confession.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 22
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
is there any footage of Penny slamming?? I don't recall him ever paying the piper or getting seriously hurt. Just too gifted I guess. Must be nice!

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

"Recent" footage:
[close]

Ha, thanks for sharing these, so many of the old Hamburg legends in one place! Juergensen raved out pretty hard in the end.

Hey, I remember that guy, Markus, and his 1 or 2 year stint here in SD. The KGB he was called, "Krazy German Bastard". He ripped and was really fun to skate with. I rolled up to the Birdhouse premier for The End with him. It was me, him and 1 other homie in the back of our buddies pickup truck with a camper shell. And a bottle of vodka. We were a little sketched at the checkpoint. But got through fine. Fun times.

oneOone

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

"Recent" footage:
[close]

Just checked his Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/marcus.juergensen some recent tricks there.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »
damn, it's a small world, Hands   :o
eine kleine Welt....

anyways Marcus did good that day, I just looked at the street finals result: he got 8th, placing before Barley, Gall, Howard and Caroll....Pretty epic for an unknown Euro!

oneOone

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
Back to topic, 4 hours of Penny https://vimeo.com/album/4549859 Part 5 is missing.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »
^wow!!    This movie is a magical ride,

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

"Recent" footage:
[close]

[close]

Just checked his Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/marcus.juergensen some recent tricks there.

Glad to see he still got it!

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2017, 05:40:44 PM »
Expand Quote
is there any footage of Penny slamming?? I don't recall him ever paying the piper or getting seriously hurt. Just too gifted I guess. Must be nice!
[close]

God damn Tom be careful you're like 40 years old!!!

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »
Back to topic, 4 hours of Penny https://vimeo.com/album/4549859 Part 5 is missing.

Hahah!  What?!  Uh oh, I have tomorrow off...
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2017, 10:11:22 PM »
Such an odd fellow... Here's a guy who supposedly is so out there that he needs a minder to travel with him, yet is able to become fluent in new languages after being in the country for less than a year. The language thing brought to mind something that bespectacled dude was saying about Penny's line, the way he coasts along without pushing or speeding checking. It's like he becomes a part of his environment, on and off the skateboard. Paradoxically, by merging with his environment he stands out more than those who stand in opposition to their environment.

Seems like his mental health is kind of an elephant in the room, understandably. But it's hard to not be nosy. I can't help but wonder if it's a substance dependency thing or something psychiatric...

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2017, 10:23:49 PM »
Such an odd fellow... Here's a guy who supposedly is so out there that he needs a minder to travel with him, yet is able to become fluent in new languages after being in the country for less than a year. The language thing brought to mind something that bespectacled dude was saying about Penny's line, the way he coasts along without pushing or speeding checking. It's like he becomes a part of his environment, on and off the skateboard. Paradoxically, by merging with his environment he stands out more than those who stand in opposition to their environment.

Seems like his mental health is kind of an elephant in the room, understandably. But it's hard to not be nosy. I can't help but wonder if it's a substance dependency thing or something psychiatric...

As a self proclaimed Penny Scholar, I'd say he had a talent and a proclivity towards mind altering substances and when done in the right combination brilliant things can happen.  It has been said that the big boulder canyon jump really hurt him, and I think that doesn't get mentioned enough.  Dude got injured so he can't skate like he used to, but he still progressed his tricks in a new relaxed style.

People bash Penny because his style changed, but what the fuck do you expect from a dude that went that hard?!  To me, his style improved because he has become so relaxed it looks sketchy.

We loved Tom Penny because he was so relaxed, so isn't it a proper progression that he now looks overly lazy?  He doesn't give a fuck.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

keihaes

• Rep: -21
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2017, 02:57:36 AM »
What's this canyon jump?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2017, 03:51:07 AM »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2017, 05:56:03 AM »

Who's mental health?  The world's collectively or Tom Penny's?  I think Tom sees the forest for the trees.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:57:44 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2017, 07:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote
What's this canyon jump?
[close]

Pretty sure it was that clip in the first Sorry video where he jumped over a rock gap and barely got onto the other side.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »
Yep in that Theo Hand interview he says Penny fucked up his ankle big time doing that, and also someone stole a camera in Paris with a bunch amazing penny footage on. Could very well be the ankle injury that changed his style a bit, especially since I would assume he did not get it treated properly at the time

Donald Rump

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »
As someone points out in the comments of this clip from '95 Radlands comp, Sanchez shakes Penny's hand after he finishes his run.

The clip is grainy but it does look like Sanch. If Sanchez was spitting at Penny it wasn't in '95