Author Topic: Theories Brand, Patsy  (Read 4368 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Theories Brand, Patsy
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:49:59 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
Re: Theories Brand, Patsy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:23:41 AM »
Cool stuff, props for using Filip Glass!

but before I even clicked the video I knew what to except editing wise.. (old stock footy, night skating etc..) I know it's Josh's shtick but would be cooler if he mixed it up a bit.. Also what are they trying to sell here?

Nevertheless this was sick!

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »
loved it! Josh kills it, theories is great!

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:00:36 PM »

<3 Baragwanath!

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2265
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 12:35:16 PM »
Great song.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »
Always a treat to see new footage from these guys.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3340
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
Did Zubaz make the 2018 trend watch?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »

but before I even clicked the video I knew what to except editing wise.. (old stock footy, night skating etc..) I know it's Josh's shtick but would be cooler if he mixed it up a bit.. Also what are they trying to sell here?

Interesting. I feel like he’s really changed and developed since Static.

I liked the Traffic video a bunch and all his stuff for Theories is a distinct aesthetic (grainy/60’s cultural b roll) that carries cohesion while not being repetitive and certainly different than Static.

This stuff would never been in a Static video (obviously the skaters are but not this editing style) It’s really sick.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
watching shitty spots in 480p makes them extra shitty and all but gimme that 720 shit, Josh.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 06:09:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I liked the Traffic video a bunch and all his stuff for Theories is a distinct aesthetic (grainy/60’s cultural b roll) that carries cohesion while not being repetitive and certainly different than Static.

This stuff would never been in a Static video (obviously the skaters are but not this editing style) It’s really sick.

yeah I'm with you, he does rely on stock footage a lot but he uses it in rad ways and the B-roll that he does shoot himself always looks superb. for web edits this is perfect, of course a Static video is going to be a lot more polished, technically, those are cinematic efforts. Theories has been super productive recently too, the guys must be filming all the damn time. night skating isn't a shtick... it just feels good and looks good. if clips happen then and the footage doesn't look contrived (ie. night skating for the sake of night skating), then why not?

also, Jahmal fucking Williams.

watching the Taylor Nawrocki part then this back to back was such a treat!

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »

he did mix it up. i've never seen him use VHS b roll or music like Philip Glass before.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 12:15:39 AM »
Pretty sure Brett Weinstein is America's somewhat-answer to Magnus Bordewick. What Theories brand is Steffen Watts on?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 01:27:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

yeah I'm with you, he does rely on stock footage a lot but he uses it in rad ways and the B-roll that he does shoot himself always looks superb. for web edits this is perfect, of course a Static video is going to be a lot more polished, technically, those are cinematic efforts. Theories has been super productive recently too, the guys must be filming all the damn time. night skating isn't a shtick... it just feels good and looks good. if clips happen then and the footage doesn't look contrived (ie. night skating for the sake of night skating), then why not?

also, Jahmal fucking Williams.

watching the Taylor Nawrocki part then this back to back was such a treat!

The music isn't that special for Josh, he has used that kind of music before. The genre might be varied but the feel of the music he is going is the same. Maybe the Static series is a bit more polished and this theories stuff has more old stock footy, which I like, nonetheless the editing is still in the same vein. Maybe he did take some influences for Politic and others but you can still instantly recognize who did it.

What he says about beeing super into conspiracies you'd think he'd go for something more deep than Lee Harvey Oswald.. Or if am I missing some important date that this was released to have more meaning to it? There is so much more potential in that realm for dope b-roll and visuals to just go for something that simple. Maybe next time use footage of the twin towers for nyc clip??

I'm not here bash or hate on him. He is one of my favorites and always delivers but I guess it's like the older you get the more you repeat yourself...

virginsiloveem

• Rep: -11
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 03:58:30 AM »
Such a refreshing edit with a rad eclectic crop of dudes

Statebird

• Rep: 47
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 06:37:10 AM »
love that they're starting to dip into the midwest more

rad to see brett, steffen and ben in there

jamal puts out more footage then his whole team

virginsiloveem

• Rep: -11
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 07:19:14 AM »

jamal puts out more footage then his whole team

Except for Del Negro

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:40 AM »
This is great. Love for Josh and the team.

On another note, I get that they're trying to separate Theories (the brand) from Theories of Atlantis, but does anyone else think calling it Theories Brand is strange?
Polar Brand, HUF Brand, Toy Machine Brand

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »

On another note, I get that they're trying to separate Theories (the brand) from Theories of Atlantis, but does anyone else think calling it Theories Brand is strange?

I definitely wish it wasn’t called “Theories” but oh well. Other than that I am into it.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

thunderwood

• Rep: -18
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »
I mis-read the title as "Theotis Brand" and was impressed when I read the Philip Glass comment.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I definitely wish it wasn’t called “Theories” but oh well. Other than that I am into it.

I agree "Theories Brand" sounds weird, but I like the name Theories.

euro tm

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »
Pretty sure Brett Weinstein is America's somewhat-answer to Magnus Bordewick. What Theories brand is Steffen Watts on?

he’s on studio

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 03:35:58 PM »

I don't like when "brand" is added ever. I am stuck on band-aid (brand) especially