Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 54732 times)

WPG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #840 on: January 27, 2024, 12:37:54 AM »
Can someone send a li k to a recent edit with Wichita Lineman? thx Pals
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #841 on: February 20, 2024, 05:16:21 PM »
Got a place in silverthorne for a couple days to just chill and snowboard at copper. So excited. Im sick of weekend traffic, its always so nice to get the weekdays in.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #842 on: February 21, 2024, 12:09:10 AM »
family fun in the Alps!
my only problem with snowboarding is that just when I feel comfortable on the board, after a week of riding....well it's time to go home.

Eh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #843 on: February 27, 2024, 10:52:01 AM »
Incomplete list of snowboarders with skate connections (videos not embedding):

Scott Stevens, Etnies (flow?) and Skateline mention:

Snowboard Part:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDP6eGGYqYA&pp=ygUNc2NvdHQgc3RldmVucw%3D%3D

Skate part:

Skateline mention:
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/skateline-09302014/

———-———-———-———-———-———-

Jussi Oksanen, “retired” environmentalist entrepreneur with a mention in Anti-Hero’s “The Body Corporate”:

Part @4:27

“Body Corporate” credit in lower half of first column:

———-———-———-———-———-———-

Jed Anderson, skates for Blue Tile Skateshop and shouted out in Quasi’s Grand Prairie:

Snowboard part: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gkWsBMqKUGs&pp=ygUOYm9uIHZveWFnZSBqZWQ%3D

Skate part @2:50: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n5WPeXhAFtM&t=1350s&pp=ygUWamVkIGFuZGVyc29uIGJsdWUgdGlsZQ%3D%3D

Grand Prairie credit:

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #844 on: February 27, 2024, 01:19:03 PM »
got a question...I have this old burton twin 49 from the 90's and I was planning to let my son use it in March. The bindings are no good/dry-rotted straps so I had to replace the bindings. I found some on sale, however the bolt patter from the old burtons is 3 bolts, and the bindings I found are 4 bolt though they also note universal fit. Are the binding mount plates generally interchangeable or do they vary company to company? I figured they'd be usually the same size across for the most part, but since I've never frankensteined any bindings, i don't know.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
« Reply #845 on: February 27, 2024, 02:41:33 PM »
No, Burton has always had its own insert pattern since the 90s. And there’s no way to mount bindings on it without an older disc with that mounting pattern   

What you could do is keep the discs from the old, worn-out bindings and see if they fit newer ones
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #846 on: February 27, 2024, 03:21:00 PM »
Jed Anderson has been in a bunch of Bronze Vid's as well. He kills it on a skateboard.

Forest Bailey might be the sickest pro snowboarder who can skate. He is legit on a skateboard. Blake Paul as well.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #847 on: February 27, 2024, 04:06:29 PM »
Sluggo, Cardinal, Danny Way, and probably a couple others are some skaters who had their own pro model snowboards.

Probably the majority of snowboard pros rip on a skateboard.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #848 on: February 27, 2024, 06:28:33 PM »
No, Burton has always had its own insert pattern since the 90s. And there’s no way to mount bindings on it without an older disc with that mounting pattern   

What you could do is keep the discs from the old, worn-out bindings and see if they fit newer ones

Sorry the way I worded my question wasn’t clear, but you answered anyway. What I meant to ask was can I use the old binding mounting plates with the new bindings. I was wondering if the central part of bindings were a universal size

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #849 on: February 27, 2024, 10:02:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry the way I worded my question wasn’t clear, but you answered anyway. What I meant to ask was can I use the old binding mounting plates with the new bindings. I was wondering if the central part of bindings were a universal size

I may have misunderstood.

I think nowadays they are generally interchangeable, but I don’t Jobe about from that period.

Best bet would be to take the discs to a snowboard shop and check

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #850 on: February 28, 2024, 11:02:50 AM »
Jake Kuzyk is pro for K2 and a filmer/editor/skater

https://youtu.be/NECwo1WMVw4?si
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #851 on: February 28, 2024, 06:27:03 PM »
Haven't been on a board in a couple weeks due to an ankle injury, so hopefully it's healed up by the time this monster of a storm has passed through.

This is the forecast for Kirkwood, CA at 8800ft / 2682m for the next 6 days.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 07:20:21 PM by tkp »

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #852 on: February 28, 2024, 07:04:40 PM »
Jed Anderson is like snowboarding’s Guy Mariano or something.
He’s considered of the most stylish/talented rail/street snowboarders ever - when he was skating in those 917 edits etc, he was basically sponsorless and MIA from snowboarding - now he’s filming parts again his stuff is blowing minds.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #853 on: February 29, 2024, 08:06:47 AM »
Haven't been on a board in a couple weeks due to an ankle injury, so hopefully it's healed up by the time this monster of a storm has passed through.

hope you're all mended up soon. that forecast looks insane. here on the east coast we had a good few weeks but now we're in a period of 50F and up for at least week, maybe longer. northern new england is still getting snow but the rest of our resorts are gonna be slush city. i might actually go this weekend and ride some slop just to squeeze some value out of my indy pass

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #854 on: February 29, 2024, 09:21:01 PM »

Kirkwood patrol are preparing for 12 feet of fresh! Will be interesting to see how long the roads are closed for that.

Just spent a couple weeks in Hakuba in Japan. Even a shit season there manages to beat the best seasons in NZ

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #855 on: February 29, 2024, 11:20:51 PM »

That’s fucking wild. How is this kinda weather handled in the US? I reckon 55mph winds means every lift will be closed, no?

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
    • swarm life avatar image
« Reply #856 on: March 01, 2024, 11:39:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hope you're all mended up soon. that forecast looks insane. here on the east coast we had a good few weeks but now we're in a period of 50F and up for at least week, maybe longer. northern new england is still getting snow but the rest of our resorts are gonna be slush city. i might actually go this weekend and ride some slop just to squeeze some value out of my indy pass

thanks, injuries are a bummer.

every time i go to the indy pass website i learn about some rad low key resort. hurricane ridge in olympic national park looks like quite the adventure. going from sea level to high elevation that quickly seems like a journey.

have fun in the slop. those slushy slashes can be fun.

Expand Quote

[close]

Kirkwood patrol are preparing for 12 feet of fresh! Will be interesting to see how long the roads are closed for that.

Just spent a couple weeks in Hakuba in Japan. Even a shit season there manages to beat the best seasons in NZ

i'm guessing the passes will be closed for multiple days.

riding anywhere in japan is on my bucket list. taking the train and exiting into a winter wonderland seems like a great way to start a snow mission.

Expand Quote

[close]

That’s fucking wild. How is this kinda weather handled in the US? I reckon 55mph winds means every lift will be closed, no?

yea, some mountains just fully close due to wind, and avalanche risk.

i'm not sure what the resorts wind limits are, or where snow-forecast gets it's wind data from. winds are well over 100mph / 160km/h at the top of heavenly's gondola today.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:12:15 PM by tkp »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #857 on: March 15, 2024, 08:25:30 AM »
It’s been a 90% absolutely shit year in Hakuba. Probably the warmest Dec to Feb we’ve seen, it rained as much as it snowed during that time, and it NEVER rains in that timeframe. Maybe first rain in mid-Feb.

So I just went to work at the hills and kind of gave up any hope of a good winter.

Anyways, March rolls around and gave us a couple good dumps. It’s not back to normal, but it’s way better than before.

Had my first pow day since Jan, and despite my knee being partially functional, I had a great time. And today was a sunny park day, trying to get myself to relearn different bs 360 grabs and eat shit on the flat-down box.

Thanks again, snowboarding

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #858 on: March 15, 2024, 08:43:06 AM »
Back from snowboarding in the adirondacks, Gore Mtn, with my son. I was able to manage getting some bindings to work on my old burton twin, but moving forward I'm going to get him a board to hopefully use for a few seasons then hand it to the younger brother. I'm not entirely sure what board I'll look for. My older son I would place at beginner/intermediate, but adapting quickly to intermediate.

What's interesting to me as I've not paid any attention to boards in years, is that the descriptions and base profile are totally foreign to me at this point. I began snowboarding in 1992, and I feel like every board had camber back then. I owned maybe 3 boards between 1994 and 1998, a nitro asym 155, a burton twin 49, and a salomon 159 (no clue what model name.) All had camber and varied in stiffness with the salomon being the most stiff as it had a cap as well. I finally got myself a nitro dropout last season, but that was for myself. Researching boards for my son is a little difficult, or maybe reviewers have just gotten too highly nuanced. It seems like in reading reviews that people note camber as being difficult to learn on, or maybe I'm just focusing on that. Full rocker profile seems like it would be squirely.

So for what it's worth I've looked at a few boards and thought that as this would be something to use for years I'd lean towards intermediate rather than beginner for a board. Any suggestions from people here? My son leans towards all mountain, mostly avoiding park but not fully averse to it. We literally get a week in out of the year, so no planning on pow. Although it did snow a bunch while we were up there. I'd add my thought is a true twin wouldn't be his choice most likely he'd prefer a directional board. Could be shaped, or could be directional twin. Also east coast conditions, as we just go visit fam in the adirondacks and don't really go destination hunting.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #859 on: March 15, 2024, 03:17:19 PM »
Camber sounds fine for you guys.

Reverse camber was spearheaded by Lib Tech in the 00s, and it’s fun, playful, a nd floats well in pow.

Traditional camber is more stable at high speed and good for aggressive riding and carving.

Companies have tried to make blends of the two where you get the best of both worlds, but to me it doesn’t work that well, and you get a board that doesn’t do anything that well.

For east coast I’d say Camber, or at the very least camber between the feet and some light rocker towards the nose and tail.

Rocker to me feels like you are only ever riding half the boards.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #860 on: March 15, 2024, 03:36:02 PM »
Thanks I figured camber would be the way to go for the ice coast. Since I don’t want to get him a beginner board and he has a few seasons already, I think I’m going to grab a Rome warden just based on its description. Seems like it would be fine for progress without being too advanced for him. Price is right at the moment anyway

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: March 15, 2024, 07:10:45 PM »
Thanks I figured camber would be the way to go for the ice coast. Since I don’t want to get him a beginner board and he has a few seasons already, I think I’m going to grab a Rome warden just based on its description. Seems like it would be fine for progress without being too advanced for him. Price is right at the moment anyway
i grew up riding camber boards around the same timeframe you describe, but i have actually ridden some rocker and a hybrid shape more recently and thought they worked pretty good. i'm generally riding in NY, VT, and NH, so plenty of ice.

my current 'daily driver' is a GNU with hybrid rocker/camber and 'magnetraction' (basically a wavy sidecut for better grip in ice). it's actually a lot of fun. more forgiving around the tips than full camber, and it floats better in pow. the weird sidecut does actually lend a little extra grip, but it gets catchy in heavy soft snow. the point is, i wouldnt write the rocker or hybrid shapes off completely, although i will say there is definitely less pop.

i've found the reviews at thegoodride.com pretty good. i have ridden a few different boards and compared my impressions with theirs, and agreed with their descriptions. that could be a good place to do research for your son

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #862 on: March 18, 2024, 05:49:42 AM »
Rome Warden is a great choice.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #863 on: March 18, 2024, 08:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i grew up riding camber boards around the same timeframe you describe, but i have actually ridden some rocker and a hybrid shape more recently and thought they worked pretty good. i'm generally riding in NY, VT, and NH, so plenty of ice.

my current 'daily driver' is a GNU with hybrid rocker/camber and 'magnetraction' (basically a wavy sidecut for better grip in ice). it's actually a lot of fun. more forgiving around the tips than full camber, and it floats better in pow. the weird sidecut does actually lend a little extra grip, but it gets catchy in heavy soft snow. the point is, i wouldnt write the rocker or hybrid shapes off completely, although i will say there is definitely less pop.

i've found the reviews at thegoodride.com pretty good. i have ridden a few different boards and compared my impressions with theirs, and agreed with their descriptions. that could be a good place to do research for your son

much appreciated info. I wasn't intending to write it off, I'd actually love to try a rocker board myself. That said I did find my son that Rome Warden I mentioned, so a rocker board will have to wait for another time.

Expand Quote
[close]
Rome Warden is a great choice.

Thanks, I hope my son finds this to be the truth. Pretty sure he will.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #864 on: March 18, 2024, 09:24:36 AM »
I've always been a regular camber guy and now I"m on something hybrid and I've realized something a bit softer isn't too bad.  Pacnorthwest means some sloppy days and it works well for that and I don't weigh anything so I didn't really need that much stiffness....I rode those camber boards till they were pretty much flat so, what I'm riding doesn't impede my riding.

This season was pretty much a wash but it was still nice getting out a few times.  My back knee has been bugging me I think from years of being on a kicktail you inevitably pronate the shit out of it.  Tweaking my stance posi posi has actually helped, it bends now instead of when it was ducked it just pushed inwards. 

I keep threatening to quit snowboarding as just such an ordeal, but when it works it's so good......a little bit of fresh snow, no lines....it's the best. 

Shtonk

• Rep: -358
« Reply #865 on: March 19, 2024, 10:50:32 AM »
This thread started with a yawgoons shoutout and Dylan gamache is my all time fave. What happened to them, why are there no more edits? Ran out of steam?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #866 on: March 20, 2024, 12:58:16 AM »
I also went from a rigid freeride camber board to a hybrid rocker/camber all mountain thing and I found it so much more playful and fun. Good pop too.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #867 on: March 20, 2024, 11:34:40 AM »
This thread started with a yawgoons shoutout and Dylan gamache is my all time fave. What happened to them, why are there no more edits? Ran out of steam?
good question. i dont know but i've been really hyped to see what a cult following yawgoons has developed online in the last few years. growing up on the east coast we were inundated with super unrelatable snowboard media from out west, so when i first saw the yawgoons stuff i was hyped to see you could still get ultra rad and make a name for yourself riding some crappy groomers, if you had a dope enough style and approach

in other news, the northeast has been getting one last kick of winter weather this week. i'm heading to new hampshire this weekend and it looks like i might actually get to cap my season off with a pow day. fingers crossed

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #868 on: March 20, 2024, 02:28:49 PM »

That cab (?) from flat he did over a legit full-size picnic table in one of the last edits is mind-blowing.

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 15
« Reply #869 on: March 21, 2024, 11:02:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That cab (?) from flat he did over a legit full-size picnic table in one of the last edits is mind-blowing.

I think the filmer Dr. Brendan is a full time dentist and films occasionally still.  Dylan Gamache is super lowkey, but still boards in the NE.  Marcus Rand still boards and lives in Portland.