Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797541 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1920 on: July 14, 2019, 07:06:14 PM »
Expand Quote

Interesting! Do you ride your RR’s on rough streets a lot?

Yeah, I’m riding the 56mm RR’s and would try the 55mm Mini Super juices, so I don’t know if I would like the jump from 39-44 wide, but I might just be over thinking it lol
[close]

I do. I'm in Canada so the roads are quite shit from snow and plows and whatever else. That said, the setup I have the RR's on is pretty strictly a cruiser - ollies and an occasional slappy so the wheels don't see much other than forward momentum.

Worth a shot. Finding the perfect cruiser wheel is, I think, the biggest pain in the ass, so it's worth casting a big net and trying out what you can.

Gotcha, thats awesome yours held up for so long!

Haha, for real. I’ve been trying different ones for years and there’s always something I don’t quite like. The closest to perfect has been the G-slides and RR’s so far, chipping aside. Ricta clouds were actually pretty solid too

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1921 on: July 14, 2019, 08:22:37 PM »

Haha, for real. I’ve been trying different ones for years and there’s always something I don’t quite like. The closest to perfect has been the G-slides and RR’s so far, chipping aside. Ricta clouds were actually pretty solid too

G-Slide formula in a normal wheel shape/width would be the ultimate crusty spot wheel. Hopefully one day they make something like that. They started making the RR's in a normal shape in smaller sizes called Mini-DV's, haven't seen them in the wild though,
https://bones.com/bones-wheels-atf-mini-dv-s-skateboard-wheels-54mm-80a-4pk

If you liked Clouds, the Keyframes are basically the same thing with a better cruiser shape, both being NHS and all that. I dug the 86a clouds as well, but the classic donut shape was weird for a cruiser wheel.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1922 on: July 14, 2019, 08:36:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

G-Slide formula in a normal wheel shape/width would be the ultimate crusty spot wheel. Hopefully one day they make something like that. They started making the RR's in a normal shape in smaller sizes called Mini-DV's, haven't seen them in the wild though,

If you liked Clouds, the Keyframes are basically the same thing with a better cruiser shape, both being NHS and all that. I dug the 86a clouds as well, but the classic donut shape was weird for a cruiser wheel.

Definitely, that would be awesome. Like some of the Spitfire shapes with G-Slide formula.

The mini dv’s look interesting for sure, I was thinking about trying some of those for when I go back to riding smaller set ups.

Agreed about the donut shape. I’ve had 4 sets of the 78a and one of the 86a in the Rictas and the shape is why I’m laying off those for a bit. The 60mm ones have a more square shape, like the RR/Gslides, which I like better for a cruiser wheel for sure. The formula always felt awesome though and while they do get minor chips, they are actually really durable for 78a wheels

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1923 on: July 14, 2019, 08:38:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
has anyone skated these? could build a cruiser with a set of softer wheels, but i don't want to go too fluffy.

[close]

I had a set of the 92a ditch witches in 56mm. IMO they're not worth it...very slow, poor slide, and my 99 F4s honestly perform better on the same shitty spots.
[close]

thanks for your honest opinion
https://bones.com/bones-wheels-spf-eighty-ones-54x31-p5-skateboard-wheels-81b-4pk despite these saying they are equivalent to 101 a they have a bit softer feel and ride than f4's or any other bones. quiet on masonite and grippy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #1924 on: July 14, 2019, 11:11:55 PM »
Yeah the 81 b parks are good wheels....the fact they are a bit gummier makes them feel more forgiving.  I'd consider the easy streets too but neither of these wheels will ever give you that feel like an ATF or clouds give you when you ride rough asphalt. 

I really liked the ditchtech wheels and they discontinued them some time ago.  I wrote a letter and GP sent me a proto of what would come to be the easy street.  Mine are much softer though like a 90.  Performs well though....put em on my zip zinger. 

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1925 on: July 15, 2019, 10:42:01 PM »
maybe a dumb question but are f4 tablets meant to be skated with the graphics on the outside of the wheels?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1926 on: July 16, 2019, 12:08:41 AM »
maybe a dumb question but are f4 tablets meant to be skated with the graphics on the outside of the wheels?

Pretty sure they are symmetrical so it doesn't matter either way.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1927 on: July 16, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
I see kids skating the lock-in’s graphic in, kinda contradicting the whole point of a lock in

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1928 on: July 16, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »
I see kids skating the lock-in’s graphic in, kinda contradicting the whole point of a lock in

Everyone around me does this, I even know a few people with one graphic out. I don't know how it doesn't bother then, it would shit me to tears.

Yewwman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1929 on: July 16, 2019, 01:29:43 PM »
Had a quick mini sesh with 56mm OJ mini combos. Felt really good, bit more grippier than same size 101 conical fulls.

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1930 on: July 16, 2019, 01:59:30 PM »
has anyone ever tried wheels from here https://www.nfgmfg.com/

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1931 on: July 16, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Everyone around me does this, I even know a few people with one graphic out. I don't know how it doesn't bother then, it would shit me to tears.

Fucking histerical...dude graphics in or you're lame! But...but these are lockins...DUDE GRAPHICS IN...😂

plasticsurgerydisasters

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1932 on: July 16, 2019, 09:59:54 PM »
anyone know where I can get a set of the spitfire kader 58mm radials (not zumiez)?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #1933 on: July 17, 2019, 04:18:37 AM »
I think I remember that when lock ins came out as f1 street burners, people said that they were supposed to be graphics in, the conical side of the wheel was for locking in.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1934 on: July 17, 2019, 05:03:35 AM »

Kinda pricey my local usually has F4's for less than $35. These are $40 and $42 before adding shipping. So probably looking close to $50 for a set. Could be worth it, could be shit, I'll never take that risk to find out when F4's treat me just fine.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1935 on: July 17, 2019, 09:45:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kinda pricey my local usually has F4's for less than $35. These are $40 and $42 before adding shipping. So probably looking close to $50 for a set. Could be worth it, could be shit, I'll never take that risk to find out when F4's treat me just fine.
the guy behind that is the same guy who came up with the f4. It’s the same company as loophole.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
« Reply #1936 on: July 17, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »
I sold my 101a crupies and when back to bones STF.

do any smaller brands have a similar wheel?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1937 on: July 19, 2019, 07:35:41 AM »
I'm rolling on acid!
I have the pods on my big cruiser and just put these on my small cruiser replacing some hot juice.
56mm 86a duro and real nice shape.. super thin ride compared and way faster, but still have deep carve control with the mid range duro

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #1938 on: July 19, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »
I'm rolling on acid!
I have the pods on my big cruiser and just put these on my small cruiser replacing some hot juice.
56mm 86a duro and real nice shape.. super thin ride compared and way faster, but still have deep carve control with the mid range duro

These look like Toys 'r Us wheels. I want them.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #1939 on: July 19, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »
I really like everything I've been seeing from Acid, gonna have to get a set of those Pods or Skaterades I think. 56mm 86A sounds like it would be the perfect thing for a couple rough spots near me that I've been eyeing, and to read that the Pods break in to be slideable is also nice.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1940 on: July 19, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The thing about the g slide tho is the oversized core.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #1941 on: July 20, 2019, 06:51:47 AM »
Anyone ever try Landshark sidecuts? I got 2 of them in a lot of random shit I bought on ebay and the shape looks nice.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1942 on: July 20, 2019, 08:11:34 AM »
Anyone ever try Landshark sidecuts? I got 2 of them in a lot of random shit I bought on ebay and the shape looks nice.

I've tested them skating mostly rough/kinda rough streets. For that purpose they are to hard (teeth rattling) and has a weird slide. Hard to break loose into a slide but icy when they do, then they kind of grab at the end of the slide.
Planing on testing them out in a brand new concrete park next week. Hopefully they will perform better in that environment

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1943 on: July 20, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Well, basically half inch thick and about one inch long chunks have come out of the edges of three of the wheels so far and I’ve only had them for three days. I’ve just been riding on rough blacktop and concrete but not trying to slide them or anything. Doing mostly ollies, grinds and boardslides, so nothing that would normally chunk wheels like that. I’ve seen a bunch of complaints online about people having similar problems with RR’s.

I ordered from amazon (old gift card) so I’ll just send them back for a refund but I’m thinking I’ll probably try those Super juice minis next as they are supposed to be resistant to flaking like that. I would just get another set of G-slides, which don’t flake at all, but the 80a/78a wheels feel a lot better on some of the places I’m trying to skate.

The only thing I’m hesitant about is the Super juice minis being significantly wider than the Rough riders. I like the RR shape also and am not sure I’ll like the width of the SJ mini
[close]

Bummer. I remember seeing some complaints a few years back but haven't really followed up. Guess I'm lucky mine have held tough for the last year and a half.

I don't remember the mini juices being any wider (I have the 59mm Rough Riders). Tactics lists the mini juices as 43mm wide and the RR's as 44mm (the 56mm RR's as 39mm).

So I ended up sending the RR’s back and getting some Super juice minis. So far they are perfect! I have used them on the same spots that destroyed my Rough riders and they are pretty much unscathed. No chipping, dents, etc...and they ride over pretty much everything. The only real differences I’ve noticed is that the 55mm Super juices are slightly wider, slightly bouncier and slightly grippier than the 56mm Rough riders.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1944 on: July 20, 2019, 05:58:44 PM »

So I ended up sending the RR’s back and getting some Super juice minis. So far they are perfect! I have used them on the same spots that destroyed my Rough riders and they are pretty much unscathed. No chipping, dents, etc...and they ride over pretty much everything. The only real differences I’ve noticed is that the 55mm Super juices are slightly wider, slightly bouncier and slightly grippier than the 56mm Rough riders.

Good to hear. I'll keep them in mind when my RR's bite the dust.

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1945 on: July 24, 2019, 03:27:11 PM »
Sorry to bump but I would like to know what you guys think, so I live in a area with sorta rough ground, I want to get bigger wheels so I can roll a little better, what size, shape and duro should I get? I’ll be riding spitfires I need some advice.
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1946 on: July 24, 2019, 06:24:49 PM »
Sorry to bump but I would like to know what you guys think, so I live in a area with sorta rough ground, I want to get bigger wheels so I can roll a little better, what size, shape and duro should I get? I’ll be riding spitfires I need some advice.

there’s 66 pages of wheel talk right here for you to browse. look at the cruiser thread as well. that’s the best advice I can give you, cus in the end, it’s a matter of personal opinion on the wheelfeel. I like my 55/86 acid pods and my 53/90 mini logos—wouldn’t go harder than those. Heard great things about key frames too, but haven’t tried them.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1947 on: July 24, 2019, 06:46:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

there’s 66 pages of wheel talk right here for you to browse. look at the cruiser thread as well. that’s the best advice I can give you, cus in the end, it’s a matter of personal opinion on the wheelfeel. I like my 55/86 acid pods and my 53/90 mini logos—wouldn’t go harder than those. Heard great things about key frames too, but haven’t tried them.
im thinking about getting 99’s
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1948 on: July 24, 2019, 11:52:20 PM »

It's all personal taste. If you want 99d's then the only things that are going to contribute to a smoother ride are a bigger diameter and a wider contact patch. 54mm+ and conical/conical full/radial/lock in style shapes would be a good place to start. Gotta experiment. 

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1949 on: July 25, 2019, 06:49:39 AM »
58 conical full f4s have treated me well on rough ground

PMA