Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797603 times)

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1950 on: July 25, 2019, 06:50:24 AM »
I did a few minutes of cruising around on these things (still can't ollie or do anything else while injured) and they're surprisingly fine.  I really didn't notice a big difference in speed between these and my usual 52mm.  They are hard as hell though

Ive been looking at a set of these, looks like im pullin the trigger

Nollie FS 180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #1951 on: July 25, 2019, 07:02:06 AM »
58 conical full f4s have treated me well on rough ground
I used to skate those but I went al the way down to 53. I was thinking 55 so I wouldn’t  have to go to big
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1952 on: July 25, 2019, 07:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I used to skate those but I went al the way down to 53. I was thinking 55 so I wouldn’t  have to go to big

Ricta clouds are great soft wheels for the smaller sizes since the shape isn’t as different from normal street wheels as some of the other cruiser wheels. The 78a ones are very smooth and handle rough ground well. The 86a ones are still fairly smooth but also lock up on some ledge tricks a bit less. I haven’t tried the 92a wheels but pretty much every wheel I have tried between 92a-97a doesn’t really smooth out rough ground significantly more than 99a wheels, but you lose the sliding ability of 99a wheels.

The mini logo 90a wheels are also good, but feel softer than 90a and have a lot of bounce, which some folks don’t like.

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #1953 on: July 25, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ricta clouds are great soft wheels for the smaller sizes since the shape isn’t as different from normal street wheels as some of the other cruiser wheels. The 78a ones are very smooth and handle rough ground well. The 86a ones are still fairly smooth but also lock up on some ledge tricks a bit less. I haven’t tried the 92a wheels but pretty much every wheel I have tried between 92a-97a doesn’t really smooth out rough ground significantly more than 99a wheels, but you lose the sliding ability of 99a wheels.

The mini logo 90a wheels are also good, but feel softer than 90a and have a lot of bounce, which some folks don’t like.
ok maybe I was a bit dramatic, the streets aren’t to rough. So maybe 101 or 99 would be find

Chaos Acoustic

« Reply #1954 on: July 25, 2019, 08:19:09 AM »
54 mm OG classic sounds like your wheel. The original formula is a little smoother/ bouncier than the F4. Wider contact patch on that wheel should smooth things out a bit. If you can find a set of the Mike Anderson Spitfires then you’re really in business.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1955 on: July 25, 2019, 08:35:11 AM »
get some 99s

all the pros ride 99s, can't go wrong

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #1956 on: July 25, 2019, 09:10:40 AM »
I was thinking of getting some f4 99 54 classics

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1957 on: July 25, 2019, 10:27:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
ok maybe I was a bit dramatic, the streets aren’t to rough. So maybe 101 or 99 would be find

I gotcha, so I would go with either Bones easy streets or Spitfire formula 4 in 99a. The easy streets are slightly more smooth feeling on rough streets, though its not a huge difference. They slide slightly quieter too.

A wider contact patch will make it feel smoother too. I’ve used the Easy street fatties as well as the Formula 4 conical wides and they both feel good on semi rough streets
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:29:28 AM by Sundaynuggets »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1958 on: July 25, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »

Anyone have any experience with these? My shop just got them in and i’m extremely curious. Been wanting to try a slightly softer wheel, plus they’re double the width of my 54mm Conical Fulls... they look insanely fun. I want them for my 9” setup

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1959 on: July 25, 2019, 06:36:57 PM »
Anyone have any experience with these? My shop just got them in and i’m extremely curious. Been wanting to try a slightly softer wheel, plus they’re double the width of my 54mm Conical Fulls... they look insanely fun. I want them for my 9” setup

Not firsthand, but the shape (and duro) look exactly like Slimeballs, which is what he usually rides since he's stepped up to giant wheels. I had the slimeball minis for a second, not much difference between 97a and 99a durometer. They're definitely not a soft wheel.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1960 on: July 25, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not firsthand, but the shape (and duro) look exactly like Slimeballs, which is what he usually rides since he's stepped up to giant wheels. I had the slimeball minis for a second, not much difference between 97a and 99a durometer. They're definitely not a soft wheel.

I second this. Had the 60/97 vomits and they did not feel significantly softer than a 99.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #1961 on: July 26, 2019, 08:23:03 AM »

These the funniest reference to the videos of him feeding his dogs ive seen yet lmao.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #1962 on: July 26, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »

101's are always going to be a relatively harsh ride on even slightly rough ground. The F4 99a is definitely the best all-purpose wheel I've found but even they can get tiring if you're skating long distances. If you're driving or only skating a little ways to get to the spot then they're definitely the best way to go, but if you have your heart set on Spitfires then consider the 80HD chargers for transportation and rougher spots. Mini-logo makes a 90a hybrid that's a good balance of speed and comfort, but they feel softer than 90a and don't really slide until they're really broken in.

Size-wise I think 55-57mm is kind of a sweet spot for rougher terrain, you don't have to worry about hanging up on a crack or rock as much but it's still nimble enough to not be a huge burden for more technical skating. F4 99a 55mm is pretty much the most versatile wheel I've ever had.

PandaCult_901

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1963 on: July 26, 2019, 01:35:01 PM »
Has anyone skated Rictas recently? Maybe I'm feeling the nostalgia bug, but I really want to ride a pair of cores again. Problem is the only pair they make are Nyjah's.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #1964 on: July 26, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
Has anyone skated Rictas recently? Maybe I'm feeling the nostalgia bug, but I really want to ride a pair of cores again. Problem is the only pair they make are Nyjah's.

I've got a pair of the 55mm Sparx 101a that came free with a set of trucks. They're better than $5 amazon wheels but I'm not really a fan. Some folks really like them though, so to each their own.

I think the Clouds have a small core if you're ok with a softer wheel or you can get these ones on ebay

https://www.strange-house.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_153 Has some too
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:45:11 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

SkinSideDown

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1965 on: July 26, 2019, 06:47:08 PM »
Why even bother with any other wheels. Spitfire F4 and let it burn. Besides a crusier wheel you shouldn't fuck with anythang else.

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1966 on: July 26, 2019, 11:28:51 PM »
Why even bother with any other wheels. Spitfire F4 and let it burn. Besides a crusier wheel you shouldn't fuck with anythang else.

Have to chime in here because SML v-cuts are just as good. Not as readily available, but here in AUS they are through hyperion/passport dist. and those guys are fantastic to deal with.

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1967 on: July 26, 2019, 11:33:03 PM »

I tried them as someone gave them to me. They suck and got super chunky (literally chunks fell off). I'm a 5'5 female politician so i do not risk my body by doing daredevil-ish stunts on wooden toys but by golly they are terrible.

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #1968 on: July 27, 2019, 03:07:12 AM »

1-8 for lyfe bro. Fuck the system. Indys or nuthing too.
Twin Perks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1969 on: July 27, 2019, 10:27:29 AM »

Only the 'Rapido' line (meh).

I'm a huge fan of the Chrome cores but yeah, they only make the gold Nyjah ones or, they are just ancient stock because no one buys his shit?

Reese

« Reply #1970 on: July 27, 2019, 07:41:53 PM »
Scratch the logos/letters

Cores were nice, supercrystals to

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #1971 on: July 27, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »
Ricta speed rings are great! I imagine they’re the same as the chrome cores... just not chrome. Hard and fast. Ricta naturals weren’t bad either.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1972 on: July 27, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »
Ricta speed rings are great! I imagine they’re the same as the chrome cores... just not chrome. Hard and fast. Ricta naturals weren’t bad either.

The Speed Rings were great, but hit or miss with flat spots.

Crystals were really good, a bit on the softer/slower side but held up really well.

The Chrome Cores were HARD, the cores were hard ass plastic, and they were pretty chalky. The speed rings were much more forgiving (and seemingly last longer on the NRG shit...unless placebo).

Been tempted to try some gumballs.

a

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1973 on: July 28, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
Should I replace my wheels? I've been riding some spitfire f4 for around three years now and they have worn down to about 43mm from 52mm, should I buy a new set or keep riding them until they are cored?

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #1974 on: July 28, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »
Should I replace my wheels? I've been riding some spitfire f4 for around three years now and they have worn down to about 43mm from 52mm, should I buy a new set or keep riding them until they are cored?
new set

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #1975 on: July 29, 2019, 07:45:10 AM »

Email a photo of these please!

[email protected]

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #1976 on: July 29, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »
Yes!! Post em up here toooooo
Twin Perks

Etchasketch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1977 on: July 29, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Well, basically half inch thick and about one inch long chunks have come out of the edges of three of the wheels so far and I’ve only had them for three days. I’ve just been riding on rough blacktop and concrete but not trying to slide them or anything. Doing mostly ollies, grinds and boardslides, so nothing that would normally chunk wheels like that. I’ve seen a bunch of complaints online about people having similar problems with RR’s.

I ordered from amazon (old gift card) so I’ll just send them back for a refund but I’m thinking I’ll probably try those Super juice minis next as they are supposed to be resistant to flaking like that. I would just get another set of G-slides, which don’t flake at all, but the 80a/78a wheels feel a lot better on some of the places I’m trying to skate.

The only thing I’m hesitant about is the Super juice minis being significantly wider than the Rough riders. I like the RR shape also and am not sure I’ll like the width of the SJ mini
[close]

Bummer. I remember seeing some complaints a few years back but haven't really followed up. Guess I'm lucky mine have held tough for the last year and a half.

I don't remember the mini juices being any wider (I have the 59mm Rough Riders). Tactics lists the mini juices as 43mm wide and the RR's as 44mm (the 56mm RR's as 39mm).
[close]

So I ended up sending the RR’s back and getting some Super juice minis. So far they are perfect! I have used them on the same spots that destroyed my Rough riders and they are pretty much unscathed. No chipping, dents, etc...and they ride over pretty much everything. The only real differences I’ve noticed is that the 55mm Super juices are slightly wider, slightly bouncier and slightly grippier than the 56mm Rough riders.

How are they holding up so far? I'm starting to think this new formula is bullshit.

(But yeah they still ride really nice)

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1978 on: July 30, 2019, 04:17:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Well, basically half inch thick and about one inch long chunks have come out of the edges of three of the wheels so far and I’ve only had them for three days. I’ve just been riding on rough blacktop and concrete but not trying to slide them or anything. Doing mostly ollies, grinds and boardslides, so nothing that would normally chunk wheels like that. I’ve seen a bunch of complaints online about people having similar problems with RR’s.

I ordered from amazon (old gift card) so I’ll just send them back for a refund but I’m thinking I’ll probably try those Super juice minis next as they are supposed to be resistant to flaking like that. I would just get another set of G-slides, which don’t flake at all, but the 80a/78a wheels feel a lot better on some of the places I’m trying to skate.

The only thing I’m hesitant about is the Super juice minis being significantly wider than the Rough riders. I like the RR shape also and am not sure I’ll like the width of the SJ mini
[close]

Bummer. I remember seeing some complaints a few years back but haven't really followed up. Guess I'm lucky mine have held tough for the last year and a half.

I don't remember the mini juices being any wider (I have the 59mm Rough Riders). Tactics lists the mini juices as 43mm wide and the RR's as 44mm (the 56mm RR's as 39mm).
[close]

So I ended up sending the RR’s back and getting some Super juice minis. So far they are perfect! I have used them on the same spots that destroyed my Rough riders and they are pretty much unscathed. No chipping, dents, etc...and they ride over pretty much everything. The only real differences I’ve noticed is that the 55mm Super juices are slightly wider, slightly bouncier and slightly grippier than the 56mm Rough riders.
[close]

How are they holding up so far? I'm starting to think this new formula is bullshit.

(But yeah they still ride really nice)

So far they are in great condition. They are holding up to rough terrain, jagged concrete, patches of gravel, etc...really well. I got a pebble stuck in one wheel, but I pried it out and while it did make a small crack in the wheel, it’s a shallow one and doesn’t look like its going to flake. There are a few other smaller cracks in the other wheels, but they are barely noticeable and they don’t effect the ride.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #1979 on: July 30, 2019, 05:07:40 AM »

lmao i change my f4s every year (i always get 99a 54mm conical fulls) and i have a set that's ~40mm, i don't understand how you guys make them last so long
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:20:13 AM by roba »