Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798549 times)

a

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1980 on: July 30, 2019, 07:29:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Should I replace my wheels? I've been riding some spitfire f4 for around three years now and they have worn down to about 43mm from 52mm, should I buy a new set or keep riding them until they are cored?
[close]

lmao i change my f4s every year (i always get 99a 54mm conical fulls) and i have a set that's ~40mm, i don't understand how you guys make them last so long
haha how xD, I'm guessing you do loads of power slides

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1981 on: July 31, 2019, 09:31:40 AM »
to the ones that rode/are riding tablets

how are they?

i am tempted but they seem like they might be super hard to slappy and wear down to completely square edges in no time.
should i rather go with radial slim?

PMA

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1982 on: July 31, 2019, 09:41:38 AM »

how are they?

i am tempted but they seem like they might be super hard to slappy and wear down to completely square edges in no time.

I like them for rails and ledges. If you slappy more than grind rails, I'd go with classics or radial slims.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #1983 on: July 31, 2019, 01:25:56 PM »
Expand Quote

how are they?

[close]

I like them for rails and ledges. If you slappy more than grind rails, I'd go with classics or radial slims.

Got a pair of tablets coming from 35th ave tomorrow, and I’m coming from a pair of radial slims. Interested to see

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1984 on: July 31, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »

how are they?

Been skating a set of tablets for a while now, came from the exact same duro/size in radial slims. I would say that the only real advantage that tablets have is that they have a wider contact patch from the start, which is nice if you skate a lot of rougher spots. Once worn down a little bit, I believe they have the same contact patch.

Radial slims already lock in really good, so the extra lock in ability wasn't noticeable at all for me, though if you really struggle on round rails or something it may help a bit. Radial slims also feel a little bit lighter and more nimble to me compared to tablets, but a bit part of that impression be because I went from radial slims worn down to ~50mm up to 54mm tablets. Nonetheless, it seems like tablets are a tiny bit clunkier.

TLDR: They are very similar with some very subtle differences, tablets are better for rougher spots from the start due to wider contact patch, and probably lock in a little better (though you may get more drag on ledges because the edge of the wheel is completely flat). Radial slims feel a little more nimble and light, and are probably a bit easier to slappy on due to the slightly rounded edge. I also think that they look a bit better than the tablets which are a bit unnaturally flat on the side.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1985 on: August 01, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »
Anyone else try the boardy cakes 44mm wheels? I'm so tempted to try them with my 5.25 venture lows and pretend it's 1994.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #1986 on: August 01, 2019, 11:11:28 PM »
Anyone else try the boardy cakes 44mm wheels? I'm so tempted to try them with my 5.25 venture lows and pretend it's 1994.

I just bought a set! I'm gonna put them on a Kelch Flyer slick reissue and some 8.5 inch Stage 7 Independents I found on craigslist. Basically going to pretend it's 1992.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1987 on: August 02, 2019, 06:57:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Well, basically half inch thick and about one inch long chunks have come out of the edges of three of the wheels so far and I’ve only had them for three days. I’ve just been riding on rough blacktop and concrete but not trying to slide them or anything. Doing mostly ollies, grinds and boardslides, so nothing that would normally chunk wheels like that. I’ve seen a bunch of complaints online about people having similar problems with RR’s.

I ordered from amazon (old gift card) so I’ll just send them back for a refund but I’m thinking I’ll probably try those Super juice minis next as they are supposed to be resistant to flaking like that. I would just get another set of G-slides, which don’t flake at all, but the 80a/78a wheels feel a lot better on some of the places I’m trying to skate.

The only thing I’m hesitant about is the Super juice minis being significantly wider than the Rough riders. I like the RR shape also and am not sure I’ll like the width of the SJ mini
[close]

Bummer. I remember seeing some complaints a few years back but haven't really followed up. Guess I'm lucky mine have held tough for the last year and a half.

I don't remember the mini juices being any wider (I have the 59mm Rough Riders). Tactics lists the mini juices as 43mm wide and the RR's as 44mm (the 56mm RR's as 39mm).
[close]

So I ended up sending the RR’s back and getting some Super juice minis. So far they are perfect! I have used them on the same spots that destroyed my Rough riders and they are pretty much unscathed. No chipping, dents, etc...and they ride over pretty much everything. The only real differences I’ve noticed is that the 55mm Super juices are slightly wider, slightly bouncier and slightly grippier than the 56mm Rough riders.
[close]

How are they holding up so far? I'm starting to think this new formula is bullshit.

(But yeah they still ride really nice)
I have a set of the Super Juice 60mm. After about an hour of riding around and doing some slappys huge chucks were missing from the inner lip (i was running them with the logo out). I turned all the wheels around with the logo on the inside and the are doing a little better now, but if you ride them like the cruising video you will tear them to shit in no time. I would love to see the wheels after they shot those vids. Doing grinds and general dorking around are what gives me my skate boner, so back to hard wheels.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1988 on: August 02, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »
I have a set of Powell Mini Cubics that are 95A.  They are basically as smooth and quiet as any cruiser wheels I have (Bones ATF, Mini Juice, Spitfire) plus they grip better.  I have a steep driveway and just carving around on that is enough that the other wheels are on the verge of slipping out and the surface is tearing but the 95s are secure.

So I don't think you need to go way to to cruiser wheel softness to get what you want.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1989 on: August 02, 2019, 12:02:59 PM »
I have a set of Powell Mini Cubics that are 95A.  They are basically as smooth and quiet as any cruiser wheels I have (Bones ATF, Mini Juice, Spitfire) plus they grip better.  I have a steep driveway and just carving around on that is enough that the other wheels are on the verge of slipping out and the surface is tearing but the 95s are secure.

So I don't think you need to go way to to cruiser wheel softness to get what you want.

For sure, I think for most normal surfaces I haven't really felt a huge difference from 90 or sometimes 95a to 78a, but I’ve definitely noticed a difference on super crusty busted up streets and other surfaces. 78a performs a lot better on those imo, but the downside is it is hard to find a 78a wheel that can survive those same surfaces without chipping apart.

What size deck are you riding those mini cubics on? I was thinking about trying those or the 90a Rat bones, but they look super wide (moreso than the 55mm super juices, which is as wide as I am comfortable on right now)

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1990 on: August 02, 2019, 09:08:48 PM »
well they are just sitting in a drawer right now.  don't have a cruiser set up at the momment.  the cubics are pretty heavy because they are so huge and you need a lot of riser. 

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1991 on: August 03, 2019, 02:33:07 AM »
Should I replace my wheels? I've been riding some spitfire f4 for around three years now and they have worn down to about 43mm from 52mm, should I buy a new set or keep riding them until they are cored?

one set, three years, 9mm drop? did you skate once a week?

chappers

« Reply #1992 on: August 03, 2019, 03:18:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

one set, three years, 9mm drop? did you skate once a week?

im lucky if i get to skate once a week

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #1993 on: August 04, 2019, 03:47:41 AM »
Been skating OJ/Creature bloodsuckers for the past few days. 56mm/97a and I'm really starting to like them. They remind me of F4s in terms of comfort and speed, but definitely don't slide as well. That could improve as they break in but the slide sound is kind of lower pitch which makes me think theyre never going to be outstanding for power slides like spits, but then again very few wheels are.

Overall these are really great wheels though. For old dudes like me who want a street wheel that won't rattle your dentures out but still be fast and hard they're great.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1994 on: August 05, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
I must say, OJ videos do a great job of making me want to skate their wheels

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1995 on: August 05, 2019, 05:14:12 PM »

They do, and then I try doing a front shuv or 180 on my deck with keyframes and almost die.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1996 on: August 05, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »

The OJ Cruisin' videos are some of my favorites. I'm pretty partial to the Boserio one and the Kevin Braun one is pretty sick too. I love those super juice wheels for legit cruising, but it's amazing what people can do on them.

I also gotta say, people talk a lot of shit on the insane-a-thanes, but I am really enjoying the set I'm on right now.

bony bawk

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1997 on: August 05, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
have had my f4s since 2013 went from 52mm to 39mm
might be time for a change soon

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1998 on: August 06, 2019, 01:10:13 AM »

Respect. Were they classics?

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1999 on: August 16, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »

This is fucking great haha

Also I just got some keyframes for my cruiser. Stoked to check them out tomorrow.

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2000 on: August 16, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
Can anyone fully speak for oj elites? Skated a set for a bit. Can’t really remember much about them other than they felt slippery and grippy at the same time
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2001 on: August 17, 2019, 12:25:41 AM »
Can anyone fully speak for oj elites? Skated a set for a bit. Can’t really remember much about them other than they felt slippery and grippy at the same time

I too would also like to know if I’m missing out
yes

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #2002 on: August 17, 2019, 06:08:10 AM »
Just here to say I like my Dial Tones. Skating the round cut at the moment, but I'm keen to try some regular ones along with the conicals. Whoever said they're in between PFCs and F4s nailed it.
I had some, the only thing I hated was the treads. I had a hard time sliding with them.

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #2003 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just here to say I like my Dial Tones. Skating the round cut at the moment, but I'm keen to try some regular ones along with the conicals. Whoever said they're in between PFCs and F4s nailed it.
[close]
I had some, the only thing I hated was the treads. I had a hard time sliding with them.
[close]

Which shape and were they 99 or 101? I just ordered some 99 conicals, 99 round and 101 standard cuts. I don't know if I prefer 99 or 101 anymore and even though I like a more straight/square I feel like trying all their shapes. The Jahmal wheels I'm skating right now slide okay for 99s.
99, I tried my hardest to slide them but they just stuck. I eventually slipped out and chewed my hand up. I gave them away to a kid. They were the Ben gore conicals. Wanted something for slate parks and they didn’t feel very good any where.

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #2004 on: August 21, 2019, 04:14:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Which shape and were they 99 or 101? I just ordered some 99 conicals, 99 round and 101 standard cuts. I don't know if I prefer 99 or 101 anymore and even though I like a more straight/square I feel like trying all their shapes. The Jahmal wheels I'm skating right now slide okay for 99s.
[close]
99, I tried my hardest to slide them but they just stuck. I eventually slipped out and chewed my hand up. I gave them away to a kid. They were the Ben gore conicals. Wanted something for slate parks and they didn’t feel very good any where.
[close]

Damn, they're the exact ones I bought (was considering the 101 conicals). They didn't even feel good on rough ground?
I don’t really remember how they felt on rough ground. They rolled over anything and rolled fine they just didn’t slide.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2005 on: August 21, 2019, 08:32:48 AM »
Today I lost a fair big chunk of my OJ Super Juice.

Has this ever happened to someone?
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2006 on: August 21, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
Today I lost a fair big chunk of my OJ Super Juice.

Has this ever happened to someone?

That happened to my Bones Rough riders on the first day. After about three days three out of four wheels had huge chunks missing from riding on super rough ground.

The Oj Super juices I got after that have not chunked at all on me, but after a month or two of regular use on super rough ground I’ve got a crack that might lead to a chunk in the next few months, though it’s still holding together pretty tight.

I rode some of the smaller Ricta clouds for a few years which never chunked at all, but I wasn’t riding ground nearly as rough on those so I can’t really compare those.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #2007 on: August 21, 2019, 09:54:39 AM »
I'm having a hell of a time deciding between keyframes and mini super juice.

I just keep bouncing back and forth - thoughts?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2008 on: August 21, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »
I'm having a hell of a time deciding between keyframes and mini super juice.

I just keep bouncing back and forth - thoughts?

I love the mini super juice because they are wider and softer than other wheels like the keyframes and have held up relatively well for me (aside from the one crack, but at this point I think pretty much any super soft wheel is going to crack a little when they are that wide).

MSJ are super fast, roll over anything you could reasonably expect to roll over and aren’t suuuper bouncy like some of the non cored soft wheels I’ve tried.

I did have one set of keyframes I rode for like a week a couple years ago, but Zi honestly don’t remember much about them aside from them feeling harder than I would have expected.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2009 on: August 21, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »
I have keyframes on my other cruiser and bones atf’s on other, I found myself more often on those atf’s than keyframes...I live in Finland though and flatground is rough as fuck here, when I was in Spain last march those keyframes felt like my softer wheels b/c that flatground is so nice there so...depends where you live and what type of terrain you’d be cruisin’ thru.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.