Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797524 times)

maggot cunt

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4080 on: August 29, 2021, 10:10:18 AM »
anyone tried the dialtone 85a cruiser wheels? need some softies as my super juice minis crapped out on me

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4081 on: August 29, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
anyone tried the dialtone 85a cruiser wheels? need some softies as my super juice minis crapped out on me

Yes, they do work for a cruiser / soft wheel.

I wouldn't say they were amazing, but I wouldn't say they were bad either.

What happened to the juice wheels?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

maggot cunt

« Reply #4082 on: August 30, 2021, 01:04:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, they do work for a cruiser / soft wheel.

I wouldn't say they were amazing, but I wouldn't say they were bad either.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4083 on: August 30, 2021, 03:22:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ha yeah that will do it!

You look like you have worn them down a whole lot, or is that just the look of them?

I guess that is the only thing with the sharper edged wheels, as they are more prone to splitting, compared to more round or classic shaped wheels.

Seen a few like that over the years, but I don't think it is so much a fault of the wheel and more just a general wear issue.

If they were not too old, you could send that in to NHS otherwise if they had a solid run, then time to retire them and get a new set.

maggot cunt

« Reply #4084 on: August 30, 2021, 04:19:14 AM »
Ha yeah that will do it!

You look like you have worn them down a whole lot, or is that just the look of them?

I guess that is the only thing with the sharper edged wheels, as they are more prone to splitting, compared to more round or classic shaped wheels.

Seen a few like that over the years, but I don't think it is so much a fault of the wheel and more just a general wear issue.

If they were not too old, you could send that in to NHS otherwise if they had a solid run, then time to retire them and get a new set.

about a year of fairly regular use, not a terrible run. was oddly relieved anyway as the trucks i want to use for a cruiser set-up are my venture 6.1’s and nhs wheels on dlx trucks felt wrong

white guy in a durag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4085 on: August 31, 2021, 04:14:44 PM »
Anyone have experience with bones spf in the streets? Looking for more big wheel options.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4086 on: August 31, 2021, 04:49:40 PM »
Anyone have experience with bones spf in the streets? Looking for more big wheel options.

I skated multiple sets of SPFs in the mid 2010s and really enjoyed them at the time. I thought they fared rather well in the streets, I was going to college at the time in the Pacific Northwest in a town with tons of crusty concrete and asphalt of varying gradations and I never found myself dissatisfied with my wheels' performance rolling around anywhere in the streets or in the parks. The first set of SPFs I rode lasted the longest out of any set of wheels I had ridden up until I got my second or third set of NFGs within the last 2 or 3 years. One thing of note is that they do feel kind of plasticky as Bones generally do, but I didn't really let that bother me as they clearly did their job as skateboard wheels rather well. If I wasn't already happy with the wheels I'm riding right now (NFG 60mm Vees 95a) I would probably go back to SPFs, however I haven't ridden a set in a while now and I have heard that Bones changed their SPF formula since the last set I rode, so I'm not sure how useful my thoughts on them are going to be lol.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4087 on: August 31, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »
@white guy in a durag Please don't do that to yourself. SPFs in the street will have you hating life.

SPFs are seriously amazingly fast cranking around a big smooth concrete bowl but pretty fucking horrible on any terrain with 'texture.'

white guy in a durag

« Reply #4088 on: September 01, 2021, 12:56:40 AM »
The duality of man...

Guess I'll just stick to OJs for my big wheel fix (until I can get those nfg 60s I left at my parent's house)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4089 on: September 01, 2021, 06:23:28 AM »
Skating some creative-poured wheels for the first time (also my first time not on F4 or NFG in ages), Speedlab 58mm Jason Adams. The shape and dimensions remind me a little of OG classics. They feel really great and smooth on crusty ground and I can tell the slide will be nice once the tread is gone. Overall I am pleasantly surprised.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4090 on: September 01, 2021, 06:45:14 AM »
The duality of man...

Guess I'll just stick to OJs for my big wheel fix (until I can get those nfg 60s I left at my parent's house)

I've been in the same situation. Couldn't find bigger spitfire wheels and asked for the spfs. Almost everyone advised against the spfs for crusty asphalts.

I ordered myself some OJ elite 58mm 99a in hardline shape. They should be here by the weekend. I'm curious how they feel compared to stf 99a.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4091 on: September 01, 2021, 06:53:48 AM »
I really wish spitfire would make an f4 conical in 95a! The 97s are killer but I want a tad more grip when I’m skating disgusting ditches! Probably gonna try the 95a OJ Elite Nomads soon, but after some wheel madness last year I’m convinced that I will never enjoy another formula as much as I have f4.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4092 on: September 01, 2021, 06:58:32 AM »
Is anyone actually riding Satori? If so how do they compare to F4 99? Kinda weird they only do 101.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4093 on: September 01, 2021, 08:05:56 AM »
Is anyone actually riding Satori? If so how do they compare to F4 99? Kinda weird they only do 101.

Skating some creative-poured wheels for the first time (also my first time not on F4 or NFG in ages), Speedlab 58mm Jason Adams. The shape and dimensions remind me a little of OG classics. They feel really great and smooth on crusty ground and I can tell the slide will be nice once the tread is gone. Overall I am pleasantly surprised.

The list of Creative Urethane supplied brands is actually quite long (most of the smaller brand / upper medium range wheels are more often than not from them), of which both those are of the same compound, from what I have heard, so the review could be much the same, even though the Adams Slappy Hour wheels in particular are 99 duro, from looking them up, along with a few sets of Speedlab 101s that have passed through my hands too.

The most interesting part is that although they say they are 101, I find them way more grippy than F4 99s, but that is just me.  I did also think I had seen some in 99 but that might have been old stock or the pricepoint wheels, which I wouldn't really count here.

In short, no they are not Spitfire Formula Four, but yes they are reasonable / decent wheels and not too hard, if that was the thought, in asking about the 101 duro.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #4094 on: September 01, 2021, 08:15:28 AM »

Been skating the 56mm Slappy Hour wheels for almost a year. They get better as they wear in and no flatspots yet!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4095 on: September 01, 2021, 09:07:19 AM »

Yes, don't do it.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #4096 on: September 01, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »

I’ve got a pair of the vinyl cut satori 101s, they are grippy, I would say they are comparably to the 99s
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

white guy in a durag

« Reply #4097 on: September 01, 2021, 10:34:21 AM »
Did it for Shin !

Had some hardline 99 ojs in before and didn't really like the feel; they felt kinda sticky. These though...good slide and fast as fuck on on smooth ground. I'll have to learn backside flips so I can cry about flat spots.

Schinken

« Reply #4098 on: September 01, 2021, 10:53:30 AM »
Did it for Shin !

Had some hardline 99 ojs in before and didn't really like the feel; they felt kinda sticky. These though...good slide and fast as fuck on on smooth ground. I'll have to learn backside flips so I can cry about flat spots.

Did you ride the 99a elite Formula or some older Formula in hardline shape?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4099 on: September 01, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »
Damn I didn't know other people were so not stoked on the SPFs lol. How recently were y'all skating them? Also were you skating a larger or smaller diameter?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

white guy in a durag

« Reply #4100 on: September 01, 2021, 11:05:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Did it for Shin !

[close]

I had the elites. I should probably caveat my sticky comments by saying that, when I was riding the hard lines, it was really hot out and I was coming from nfgs, which can feel like skating on icecubes.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #4101 on: September 01, 2021, 11:47:11 AM »

ive been skating 54mm spfs on uk streets for nearly a year now, had no issues with them at all.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #4102 on: September 01, 2021, 05:42:01 PM »
Damn I didn't know other people were so not stoked on the SPFs lol. How recently were y'all skating them? Also were you skating a larger or smaller diameter?

I used to ride them exclusively until F4s came out, I haven’t ridden them recently
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4103 on: September 01, 2021, 06:17:22 PM »
gotta set of 60mm classics coming in. anyone tried em on af1 55s (no risers)?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4104 on: September 01, 2021, 06:37:52 PM »
Did anyone end up buying/skating Snot Wheels?  I ordered a set of the 53mm conical ones that I was able to find online for a shaped board/curb setup (not too many options from the first drop left out there).  Curious how they felt and how durable they are compared to F4.  These are the 99s. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4105 on: September 01, 2021, 06:53:56 PM »
Did anyone end up buying/skating Snot Wheels?  I ordered a set of the 53mm conical ones that I was able to find online for a shaped board/curb setup (not too many options from the first drop left out there).  Curious how they felt and how durable they are compared to F4.  These are the 99s. 

I did, 52mm 101a clear greens. They don't slide for shit and feel slow (but smooth). Took them off during the session, wouldn't even ditch them at the spot because no one should have to try and slide them.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4106 on: September 01, 2021, 07:33:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did, 52mm 101a clear greens. They don't slide for shit and feel slow (but smooth). Took them off during the session, wouldn't even ditch them at the spot because no one should have to try and slide them.

Sounds promising lmao.  Perhaps the 99a will somehow be much different.  Let’s hope.

thps4

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4107 on: September 03, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just retired some 52mm 101a Clear Snots a friend got me as a gift. Had them for about two months, pretty easy to flatspot but would sort themselves out in 15 or so minutes. Now they're getting square and sounding like a little yamaha if the ground's smooth enough. Was a fun summer wheel with the light shining through them. Didn't hold up too well and a bitch to get rolling on remotely rough ground but I was happy to have the transparent wheels of my childhood skatepark dreams.

Now I'm back on the spitfire F4s, picked up the teal 54mm 97D conicals for the bigger board and back to my 99s for the smaller board. It really is crazy how smooth and slidey the F4's are, feels good to go down a block with two pushes again. It's not like the snots couldn't slide, but it took me a sesh or two to get used to how much more the F4s will give.

Schinken

« Reply #4108 on: September 04, 2021, 07:50:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did it for Shin !

[close]

[close]
I had the elites. I should probably caveat my sticky comments by saying that, when I was riding the hard lines, it was really hot out and I was coming from nfgs, which can feel like skating on icecubes.

Just had a short flatground session with the 99a hardline today. Did a few powerslides and reverts. So far I'm very pleased. They are fast and slide decent. Compared to my 99a stf wheels they feel more forgiving on rough ground and the slide feels more controllable.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #4109 on: September 04, 2021, 12:36:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did it for Shin !

[close]

[close]
[close]

Just had a short flatground session with the 99a hardline today. Did a few powerslides and reverts. So far I'm very pleased. They are fast and slide decent. Compared to my 99a stf wheels they feel more forgiving on rough ground and the slide feels more controllable.

I had Insane-a-thane and I’m a masochist so I bought elites. They’re surprisingly good, not as good as F4s but a solid option.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.