Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797583 times)

Dmng and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4140 on: September 09, 2021, 03:12:17 PM »
Just got a hold of some NFG 95A’s in tear drop shape…they feel really weird. While skating, they feel harder than 99A F4s, and are slower at the same time.

I was really hyped for these since I heard the creator is the guy that created the F4 formula, but honesty these feel more like a Bones wheel than Spitfires.

I can only cruise around right now since I have a fractured toe, but so far I’m not digging them that much. Maybe they’ll break in nice, we’ll see.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4141 on: September 09, 2021, 05:38:47 PM »
Just got a hold of some NFG 95A’s in tear drop shape…they feel really weird. While skating, they feel harder than 99A F4s, and are slower at the same time.

I was really hyped for these since I heard the creator is the guy that created the F4 formula, but honesty these feel more like a Bones wheel than Spitfires.

I can only cruise around right now since I have a fractured toe, but so far I’m not digging them that much. Maybe they’ll break in nice, we’ll see.

can't speak to the teardrops as i only have/have ridden vcuts, but the set i got from their latest run did seem a bit different than the first run appearance-wise. lighter color (i swear) and felt slicker/greasier? i was going to leave them for backups, but the difference had me curious so i threw them on for a bodega run (pnw pavement) & they felt pretty good, but i don't want to say they feel exactly the same as the first run set i have on my main setup until they are broken in a little more.
long story short - maybe it's a shape thing???? someone might have better insight on this than me though 🤔

Damoforce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #4142 on: September 09, 2021, 05:49:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone else find that Spitfires F4 really scuff up and mark easily? Like indents and ect. 101a
[close]

I have said it before and others have agreed at times, but I have always found the Spitfire F4 99s to be really stable and decent for everything, compared to the 101s which have always been a bit weird, some harder, some softer, some just don't really slide well at all and similar things.

Not sure what the deal is there, but 99s just seem to have always been a better wheel.

So many other brands that have 101s don't seem like 101s and more like 99 or even 97 or 98 with the tackiness feeling more than anything, as they just don't seem to slide well on much, when compared to other wheels.  Some seem so icy and more slippery on everything which is fine if that is what you want, but many people are not that keen on having that much slip and slide either.

I cannot even think how many sets of new and especially used wheels have come and gone, all of which I will try, given the chance, which is why Spitfire F4 99s always come up as the winner, even though I do have lots of other wheels, both hard and soft, that I like for certain ramps, or different terrain.

Visually some wheels will develop more cuts and marks, especially if you are skating something that will cause issues, eg sharp edges on a ledge or rougher bits of bitumen, along with gaps or edges of concrete, wood or other surfaces that the wheels catch on, in particular while sliding or hitting on an angle, rather than just rolling over.

Thanks for your input!

I found my 99as nice. The wore done fairly quick but was a nice wheel. I am finding with the 101a they started really slippery and after broken in they become more grippery. Like quite a bit.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4143 on: September 12, 2021, 10:18:51 PM »
does anyone have experience skating 55-56mm on thunder 149? (ride medium - loose, nah pretty loose actually)

what risers do I use? im skating 54s rn on 1/8 and its great

had 53s w no risers and fucking hated it

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #4144 on: September 12, 2021, 10:45:54 PM »
I’ve got 56mm with 1/8 risers on my forged 151s at the moment. It’s so good, really improves the truck imo. Using the real wooden risers, can’t really tell the difference between normal plastic ones tbh. Have rocked the same with cast plate 149s with no problem. Want to snag some 58mm classic spits next.

Edit - I ride them loose.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4145 on: September 13, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
The NFG 95a's are indeed a lighter color as well as greasier this time around, the grease wears off after a little bit of use

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4146 on: September 13, 2021, 12:14:41 PM »
The NFG 95a's are indeed a lighter color as well as greasier this time around, the grease wears off after a little bit of use

Do you mean greasier in that they slide better than the previous batch of 95a?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4147 on: September 13, 2021, 12:17:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's not what I mean, they do slide well in my opinion but the grease I am referring to is from manufacturing.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4148 on: September 13, 2021, 12:32:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's not what I mean, they do slide well in my opinion but the grease I am referring to is from manufacturing.

Ah, I gotcha, thanks!

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4149 on: September 13, 2021, 01:27:16 PM »
does anyone have experience skating 55-56mm on thunder 149? (ride medium - loose, nah pretty loose actually)

what risers do I use? im skating 54s rn on 1/8 and its great

had 53s w no risers and fucking hated it
i rocked the same general specs for a while, tried a few different riser options, even spent some time with 1/4" risers as well. The taller rise made things hella twitchy, which was sort of fun for a while, but eventually I just got Indies and found my whole setup instantly became much less finnicky.

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4150 on: September 13, 2021, 11:50:04 PM »
During covid and closure of parks in the UK i upped to some 56 ricta clouds with my thunder trucks to skate a local crusty car parks. Got loads of wheel bite so made some front wheels wells. Didn’t work and looked a bit stupid, so dont do that.

On a separate note local shop has deals on white OJ elite hardline 99a, did some research (never had OJs) and old Degros disses them. Only positive reviews are on NHS and paid slots. Anyone on here tried them at all?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4151 on: September 14, 2021, 03:50:29 AM »

On a separate note local shop has deals on white OJ elite hardline 99a, did some research (never had OJs) and old Degros disses them. Only positive reviews are on NHS and paid slots. Anyone on here tried them at all?

Definitely a mixed bag, some people really like them, others not so much.

They are a decent wheel, but they do flatspot more easily than some other brands, as has been noted by some people (and first hand experience) but they make good options, lots of sizes, shapes and different duros, eg 101, 99, 97, 95

As per many wheels, they might be ok, but they are not Bones or Spitfire Formula Four, by which all others are measured nowdays.

EDIT:

From just over two years ago.

Funny how out of just over a dozen comments, two say they flatspotted, one says they are great, others say they are good and do not slip out...

I never take shop reviews too seriously though.

Some decent skating for the minute long clip anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4152 on: September 14, 2021, 11:05:06 PM »
I really like the OJ Elite Hardline 99a 53mm wheels I have. I use them for curb skating on roughish asphalt. Was riding Spitfire Tablets 99a 52mm before, and the OJs feel like they give a smoother ride. Definitely more grippy and harder to slide though. For me, the loss of slidability is worth the increased comfort.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #4153 on: September 14, 2021, 11:23:51 PM »
While I haven’t experienced the 99a, I had a great experience with the 101a in a hardline shape. They held up well and I recently threw my old set on after some tablets and they provided a slide that was more comfortable. They’re not the best but a solid alternative to F4 and STF. While helping atone for the monstrosity that were Insane-a-thane wheels.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4154 on: September 15, 2021, 01:09:03 AM »
That's good to hear on the OJs. They have a really solid team, so didn't think they could be awful. I had F4s before and they are great, but something in me always likes a deal, and supporting the underdog or taking the road less travelled. Mind you NHS are a bit of a corp behemoth, so not really an underdog.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4155 on: September 15, 2021, 05:40:25 AM »
That's good to hear on the OJs. They have a really solid team, so didn't think they could be awful. I had F4s before and they are great, but something in me always likes a deal, and supporting the underdog or taking the road less travelled. Mind you NHS are a bit of a corp behemoth, so not really an underdog.
go loophole or sml then!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4156 on: September 15, 2021, 05:52:36 AM »

Recently I've bought some of those 58mm 99a elite in hardline shape. They are way faster and way less teeth rattling compared to my 53mm bones stf 99a.(only ridden on very rough asphalt)They offer more grip and control while powersliding. So far, no flatspots. I know, comparing 58 to 53 wheels is very inaccurate.
If they hold up well I would definitely buy again

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #4157 on: September 15, 2021, 06:59:25 AM »
I'm after some wide 58-60mm wheels for ditches.  I've got some 90A Rat Bones and they're ok but just a bit soft, is there anything else out there around like 95A I should check out?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #4158 on: September 15, 2021, 07:59:44 AM »
Can anyone comment on how the speed of the OJ elite 99s compares to Spitfire F4 99s?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4159 on: September 15, 2021, 10:55:41 AM »
I'm after some wide 58-60mm wheels for ditches.  I've got some 90A Rat Bones and they're ok but just a bit soft, is there anything else out there around like 95A I should check out?

NFG 95a 60mm Vee shape

https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/grim-95a-ptf-crust-60mm-vee

Landmine

« Reply #4160 on: September 15, 2021, 12:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

NFG 95a 60mm Vee shape

Hell yeah that's exactly what I was after.  Thanks!

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #4161 on: September 15, 2021, 12:36:19 PM »
Can anyone comment on how the speed of the OJ elite 99s compares to Spitfire F4 99s?

Spitfires do feel a bit faster. But the OJs aren’t sluggish feeling.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4162 on: September 15, 2021, 06:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

NFG 95a 60mm Vee shape

[close]

Hell yeah that's exactly what I was after.  Thanks!

I was going to say Slimeballs, but I think those NFG wheels would be much better.

Get them while you can!

* They don't come to AU, otherwise I would have a set or three by now.

OldGrayandMongo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4163 on: September 15, 2021, 07:20:47 PM »

Maybe try the yellow/98A Rainskates?  They ride how I remember the OG Slimeballs riding from when I was a kid (and show similar wear as well)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4164 on: September 17, 2021, 08:29:30 AM »
skated some Loophole 56mm V shape for a couple hours yesterday.  skated/slid/gripped midwest crust pretty darn comparable to F4 conical fulls in 99a.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 08:43:04 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4165 on: September 17, 2021, 10:05:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe try the yellow/98A Rainskates?  They ride how I remember the OG Slimeballs riding from when I was a kid (and show similar wear as well)

97mm 95a OJ Nomads?

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/57mm-elite-nomads-95a-oj-skateboard-wheels?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZCKBhBkEiwAM4qfF0BJiRP9-9qmfw_MYYJXderb9UfoFCVZv67Wpl9KGyUP_OZ_1iocrBoCxd4QAvD_BwE

Landmine

« Reply #4166 on: September 17, 2021, 10:07:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

97mm 95a OJ Nomads?

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/57mm-elite-nomads-95a-oj-skateboard-wheels?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZCKBhBkEiwAM4qfF0BJiRP9-9qmfw_MYYJXderb9UfoFCVZv67Wpl9KGyUP_OZ_1iocrBoCxd4QAvD_BwE

I thought about those, but I wanna try something stupid wide for a bit.  Elites or Keyframes seem to be the go-to though so I'll probably end up with some fairly soon.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #4167 on: September 17, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »

https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/strangehouse-60mm-95a-3

I recently picked up a set of the Speedlab 60mm 95a Strangehouse wheels and really like them. I got them specifically for one park around here that’s covered in spray paint and is really slick. They are wide, fast, and grippy. Besides the wide shape, they feel a lot like the Bones DTF wheels. They’re a lot faster than the 97a/95a OJ wheels I’ve had

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4168 on: September 20, 2021, 10:44:04 AM »
Does anyone have thoughts on OJ’s Original Formula? Decent or no?

I’ve got my eye on those 58mm Shin Sanbongi Mini Combos but the only OJ’s I’ve used are Super Juice/ Keyframes.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4169 on: September 20, 2021, 06:01:58 PM »
Does anyone have thoughts on OJ’s Original Formula? Decent or no?

I’ve got my eye on those 58mm Shin Sanbongi Mini Combos but the only OJ’s I’ve used are Super Juice/ Keyframes.

It is called Elite formula and I had to check but it was someone else who asked and replied on the last page:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3638406#msg3638406

I have had them, but as per the last page info:

They are a decent wheel, but they do flatspot more easily than some other brands, as has been noted by some people (and first hand experience) but they make good options, lots of sizes, shapes and different duros, eg 101, 99, 97, 95

As per many wheels, they might be ok, but they are not Bones or Spitfire Formula Four, by which all others are measured nowdays.