Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 716304 times)

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #2520 on: December 08, 2011, 03:53:48 PM »
This is the last of the b/w long exposures, I swear...

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2521 on: December 08, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
^^^Sick Cadillac! I like the first shot alot.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #2522 on: December 08, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
Stoked on all the night time stuff. I need to start trying that more.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2523 on: December 08, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
Don't quit the night-time shots, I think they keep getting better.  If anything just take a break if you're getting tired of it.

What are you shooting with, digital or film?

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2524 on: December 09, 2011, 12:18:37 AM »
Thanks guys!

Random Matt - Thanks, they were all Kodak Tmax 400 film shot on a Yashica Mat 124g. They were all for a class so I guess I'm ready for some other stuff. I haven't shot a photo in daytime in like a month and a half.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2525 on: December 09, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
Do you remember how long of an exposure on the first or 3rd shots?  I wouldn't mind trying some night shots like that, good work.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2526 on: December 10, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »
Do you remember how long of an exposure on the first or 3rd shots?  I wouldn't mind trying some night shots like that, good work.
Thanks man, I usually bracket when I'm shooting film long exposures and just see which one I like the best afterwards. I was trying to get long enough exposures to lighten up the darker areas, but I also wanted to keep the street lights from blowing out the photo. The first one I think was maybe 4 or 5 seconds at f8, but not completely sure. I also shot one at 8 seconds which was way too long. The last one was the last shot on the roll so I couldn't bracket, but I guess I got lucky. That's probably 3 or 4 seconds at f8. I really should write this stuff down like my dad does.

Anyway, I usually just play around with long exposures to see what the best outcome is. Those were all from 5 rolls of film and most of it was shit, so it's really trial and error. Anyway good luck if you try em and you should post em up, your stuff is really good bacon!

sx70

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2527 on: December 10, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
Few photos from a series I?ve been working on...

Derk the Jerk

• Rep: 61
  • Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #2528 on: December 10, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »
I love those long exposure photos CRD! I've been meaning to get on that stuff too, but never get around to actually do it.

Last summer in Moscow my buddy and I bought a second hand FED camera. They both are somewhat broken, but when in Rome...
I took this shot is of my buddy with his FED camera and I'm finishing up the roll in my FED.

baconeggandcheese

« Reply #2529 on: December 11, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks man, I usually bracket when I'm shooting film long exposures and just see which one I like the best afterwards. I was trying to get long enough exposures to lighten up the darker areas, but I also wanted to keep the street lights from blowing out the photo. The first one I think was maybe 4 or 5 seconds at f8, but not completely sure. I also shot one at 8 seconds which was way too long. The last one was the last shot on the roll so I couldn't bracket, but I guess I got lucky. That's probably 3 or 4 seconds at f8. I really should write this stuff down like my dad does.

Anyway, I usually just play around with long exposures to see what the best outcome is. Those were all from 5 rolls of film and most of it was shit, so it's really trial and error. Anyway good luck if you try em and you should post em up, your stuff is really good bacon!

sweeeet thanks for the info.  I will definitely take a shitload of pictures and hopefully a few will turn out cool.  If they do, I will post them!
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #2530 on: December 11, 2011, 01:05:28 AM »
I can share my experience with night shots:

- if you're shooting film: choose the right one. I prefer kodak ektar.
- get a good tripod and a cable release.
- I usually measure the light with my 90s canon rebel and give it an extra f-stop. if the camera shows f16 I take f11.
- I try to avoid to shoot against lamps or any other (direct) light source. lens flare destroys the whole picture.
- take yourself time. it's not easy to do a proper picture at night. a good picture should be sharp and not crooked.
- listen to sebastian toombs.

Derk the Jerk

• Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #2531 on: December 11, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »

Michal Juras (Polar/In Search of the Miraculous) handicap ramp ollie from last summer

baconeggandcheese

« Reply #2532 on: December 11, 2011, 02:18:53 PM »
I can share my experience with night shots:

- if you're shooting film: choose the right one. I prefer kodak ektar.
- get a good tripod and a cable release.
- I usually measure the light with my 90s canon rebel and give it an extra f-stop. if the camera shows f16 I take f11.
- I try to avoid to shoot against lamps or any other (direct) light source. lens flare destroys the whole picture.
- take yourself time. it's not easy to do a proper picture at night. a good picture should be sharp and not crooked.
- listen to sebastian toombs.

That was extremely helpful, thanks Matze.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2533 on: December 12, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
Anyone by chance know of some warm gloves that you can still shoot with? I'm wondering if snowboarding pipe gloves are the way to go. I've been trying to shoot lately but the only gloves I have I need to take off to do anything, and then the exposure numbs/kills my hands instantly. Winter's a bitch.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #2534 on: December 12, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »
Just been goofin' around a little bit. I'm hopefully getting Photoshop this week for improving the colors of these. These are all straight from the memory card.

No mongz

• Rep: -6
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #2535 on: December 12, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
a handful from a road trip from LA to vancouver. sorry for sizes

mighta posted this before but its one of my favorites ive taken. taken from where i spend the best days of my summer, a nearly deserted beach 5 minutes from my house.

I really likes the 7th picture. I set it as my laptop background. Great job

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2536 on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:18 PM »
Anyone by chance know of some warm gloves that you can still shoot with? I'm wondering if snowboarding pipe gloves are the way to go. I've been trying to shoot lately but the only gloves I have I need to take off to do anything, and then the exposure numbs/kills my hands instantly. Winter's a bitch.

I'm facing the same problem right now. normally I have these leather gloves from h&m. you have a good feeling, but they're only useful above 0?C. apparently these should be really good: http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Canon-Accessories/Matin-Photo-Shooting-Gloves-Size-S-EU-black::2938.html

in the next days I'm going to check out some bike gloves for the winter, that might be a good solution too. I keep you updated.

sx70

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2537 on: December 13, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #2538 on: December 13, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »
rad per usual, sx.  planes are now on my desktop.

is anyone interested in picking up a screwmount leica (paging cadillac ranch...)?  purchased this IIIf direct from youxin ye, a guy who is well known for his work in refurbishing all things leica.  100% functional and very clean, body only.  shoot me a PM if you're interested.

some photos made with the IIIf and industar-50 russian lens:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:25:27 AM by Brandon »

////////////

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2539 on: December 13, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2540 on: December 13, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »

I really like the photo of the planes.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2541 on: December 13, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »
is anyone interested in picking up a screwmount leica (paging cadillac ranch...)?  purchased this IIIf direct from youxin ye, a guy who is well known for his work in refurbishing all things leica.  100% functional and very clean, body only.  shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Totally would if I had money. Good luck selling it though.

csumers

« Reply #2542 on: December 13, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
I bought a couple of '73 nikkormat bodies a few months back along with 8 lenses. These are some of my first shots with them from a trip to New Orleans....

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2543 on: December 13, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm facing the same problem right now. normally I have these leather gloves from h&m. you have a good feeling, but they're only useful above 0?C. apparently these should be really good: http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Canon-Accessories/Matin-Photo-Shooting-Gloves-Size-S-EU-black::2938.html

in the next days I'm going to check out some bike gloves for the winter, that might be a good solution too. I keep you updated.

Cheers man, those ones you linked to look like exactly what I'll need.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2544 on: December 16, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
^^gooooood :)

picked up a couple of rolls from the lab with mostly shots from a new project. these are some shots that happened in between.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #2545 on: December 17, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
saw a band called slow club play at this church on thursday, great atmosphere, got some photos:

skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2546 on: December 17, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »
matze killing it again.

Derk the Jerk

• Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #2547 on: December 18, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »
Really stoked on your series Matze!

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2548 on: December 18, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »
matze killing it again.

Really stoked on your series Matze!

thanks guys! the main project I have right now is to take a picture of every bridge in hamburg - which means I have to take at least 5000 (five thousand!) medium format photographs. the stuff will be published in a blog or tumblr, that means one or two pictures everyday. I need at least 300-500 pictures to have a solid backup ... this could happen at some point in march. let's see if this idea works out, haha.

Derk the Jerk

• Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #2549 on: December 18, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »
Good luck man! Sounds like a heavy undertaking. Any more detailed themes on the project, like only at night or from a certain perspective?