Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 716291 times)

Matze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6180 on: December 07, 2015, 10:58:44 PM »
The white side of Baltimore 😂
Love those.

Edit: need one of those. If you can save 3 bucks on every roll that would be awesome and that would be awesome. It would take me ten years to be on a plus

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/07/this-guy-built-his-own-automatic-film-processor-the-filmomat/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:16:17 PM by Matze »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #6181 on: December 08, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »
Love those.

Edit: need one of those. If you can save 3 bucks on every roll that would be awesome and that would be awesome. It would take me ten years to be on a plus

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/07/this-guy-built-his-own-automatic-film-processor-the-filmomat/
Haha thanks. Yeah, Baltimore's two sides couldn't be more polar opposite.

Saw that film processor yesterday. Looks awesome, but I definitely don't have the money to drop $2k on it especially when Jobo's are a fraction of that price.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Smerdyakov

• Rep: 15
« Reply #6182 on: December 08, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »
Who's the guy in the first photo, he looks so familiar. Sick stuff!

If you are talking about my post his name is Kyle Shone, Florida dude.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #6183 on: December 08, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
Baltimore.. Do you know Dope Body?
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #6184 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:01 PM »
some phone stuff

N.L.

« Reply #6185 on: December 08, 2015, 07:31:55 PM »
Couple of shots from a serious swell that hit the PNW a week ago.

The actual surf shots are pretty crappy. 300mm lens from half a mile away with no tripod... but you get the sense...

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6186 on: December 08, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
Yep, I know of them, but I don't know their music too well. I think I remember someone in this thread posting photos from a show they did in Europe? a while back. Was it you?
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6187 on: December 09, 2015, 02:14:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Love those.

[close]

Saw that film processor yesterday. Looks awesome, but I definitely don't have the money to drop $2k on it especially when Jobo's are a fraction of that price.

damn, I did not know that consumer friendly film processing machines exist! just looked around a bit and found out that you can buy jobo cpp2 for around 300 Euros ...that stuff is way cheaper, you're so right. maybe I should get some of those. someone ever used that?

Molte

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6188 on: December 09, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yep, I know of them, but I don't know their music too well. I think I remember someone in this thread posting photos from a show they did in Europe? a while back. Was it you?
Yes, that was me. Fucking, fucking, fucking the best fucking show I've ever been to. Bought a LP (dude, do you say an or a LP?), it didn't do much just to their live performance though. It was almost theatrical. The singer was just, posing, acting and doing funny faces for days. Everything came natural, nothing forced. Just raw, uncensored madness and beauty..

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6189 on: December 09, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Love those.

[close]

[close]

damn, I did not know that consumer friendly film processing machines exist! just looked around a bit and found out that you can buy jobo cpp2 for around 300 Euros ...that stuff is way cheaper, you're so right. maybe I should get some of those. someone ever used that?
I used Jobos at school for 4x5 film. They're really nice and give you a chance to kinda chill while it's developing. My professor has another processor at his house that you literally just put the chemicals, water, and film tank in, press a button and go read a book for 30 minutes while it does it for you.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yes, that was me. Fucking, fucking, fucking the best fucking show I've ever been to. Bought a LP (dude, do you say an or a LP?), it didn't do much just to their live performance though. It was almost theatrical. The singer was just, posing, acting and doing funny faces for days. Everything came natural, nothing forced. Just raw, uncensored madness and beauty..
Haha I think it's "an" because it's based on sound and not because it's a vowel, but I'm definitely no English major. I'll have to check out a live show around here when I get the chance!

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #6190 on: December 10, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #6191 on: December 12, 2015, 03:45:29 PM »
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6192 on: December 13, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6193 on: December 13, 2015, 06:33:36 PM »
I have a question about color film. So I know that developing color film is totally different from developing black and white, but what about when you get around to enlarging them? Is that completely different too? I know there's color enlarging paper, but are the chemicals different from black and white too?

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6194 on: December 13, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »
I have a question about color film. So I know that developing color film is totally different from developing black and white, but what about when you get around to enlarging them? Is that completely different too? I know there's color enlarging paper, but are the chemicals different from black and white too?
Yeah, the chemicals are different. I've only had experience actually developing color prints through a processor that I put the chemicals in, but I'm not sure if you can do it in a tray process like b&w. Anyone know?

Developing color film actually isn't that difficult or complicated, but making prints can be a headache, depending on how uptight you are about color tones.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6195 on: December 13, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, the chemicals are different. I've only had experience actually developing color prints through a processor that I put the chemicals in, but I'm not sure if you can do it in a tray process like b&w. Anyone know?

Developing color film actually isn't that difficult or complicated, but making prints can be a headache, depending on how uptight you are about color tones.
Ok, thank you. I was just curious. I shot black and white this whole past semester for a class but I'm sort of sick of it and want something new and wanted to know if enlarging worked the same way. I don't even know why I asked now that I think of it, because I'm more interested in just scanning the negatives.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6196 on: December 13, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6197 on: December 13, 2015, 09:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ok, thank you. I was just curious. I shot black and white this whole past semester for a class but I'm sort of sick of it and want something new and wanted to know if enlarging worked the same way. I don't even know why I asked now that I think of it, because I'm more interested in just scanning the negatives.
Printing color is definitely worth trying out at least once. It made me aware of the color in my photos A LOT more. But yeah, color film processing is pretty easy too. The only thing to worry about is making sure your chemicals are the appropriate temperature.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #6198 on: December 14, 2015, 12:20:33 AM »
Those are fantastic cookieboy
What beach is that in the last photo?

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6199 on: December 14, 2015, 06:26:24 AM »
Thank you so much Silky!
The last photo is at Davenport beach. It's along the 1 about 10-15 minutes north of Santa Cruz.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6200 on: December 14, 2015, 08:31:53 PM »
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #6201 on: December 15, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Brandon, fuck. Loving those.

Finally getting back on the program, here's a few from the last little while.

Vancouver?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #6202 on: December 16, 2015, 12:30:02 PM »
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #6203 on: December 16, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »
really cool stuff jordan!

I put together something on my site from my trip to norway this past summer

there is a musical accompaniment too, which is something I've never tried before and am kind of just testing out, but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts!

http://cargocollective.com/andrewkodama/it-hardly-ever-gets-dark-here
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6204 on: December 18, 2015, 11:55:16 AM »
hey guys, i'm here with another question. for the photography class i was in this past semester we're required to submit work to a city-wide college art show and going through the submission process they asked for a price if we want our work to be sold, so i figured why not. the only thing is that i have no idea how to price something like that. does anyone have any helpful info?

NergTurtleson

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6205 on: December 18, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #6206 on: December 18, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »
hey guys, i'm here with another question. for the photography class i was in this past semester we're required to submit work to a city-wide college art show and going through the submission process they asked for a price if we want our work to be sold, so i figured why not. the only thing is that i have no idea how to price something like that. does anyone have any helpful info?

it depends on the circumstances of the art show. Are you responsible for your own framing and printing of the photos? Will the school/gallery be taking any commission for your photos? How big is the print? Is it going to be a 'limited' print? (i.e- 1 of 5 prints made). How much are other people pricing their work at?

All of these things will affect the price. A good rule of thumb is to cover the obvious expenses that it takes to produce the print and get it hanging for the show. Beyond that it's basically up to you. Art value is subjective as hell and since it's a college art-show and not your own personal gallery showing, you can kind of arbitrarily charge what you want. Also keep in mind the kind of people who will be going to this show. Will they be broke college kids or will they be rich alumni of the school looking to get a print? Also keep in mind the kind of photographs you're going to be showing. for example, even the most beautifully shot photo of your friend doing a BS smith grind will not likely sell for much because the target audience is small and likely to be broke. On the other hand, if the photo is something that you see as universally marketable or appealing for people to hang in their house, you can kind of work the price up.

The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6207 on: December 21, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Think nice quality posters sold in a store specialized in that kind of shit. If you've got some quality shit on your hand, double the prize, do you feel intimidated comparing your photos with poster art sold in stores, lower the prize.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6208 on: December 22, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6209 on: December 22, 2015, 09:50:13 AM »