Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 20476 times)

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #420 on: May 07, 2023, 12:57:02 AM »
not sure about the squiers but fender MIJ was until about 1997 when they moved from the fujigen factory to tokai(?), where the guitars then said crafted in japan. MIJ is considered to almost always be better than CIJ. love how the plastics yellow on japanese fenders

congrats man. amazing find.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #421 on: May 07, 2023, 02:02:20 PM »
not sure about the squiers but fender MIJ was until about 1997 when they moved from the fujigen factory to tokai(?), where the guitars then said crafted in japan. MIJ is considered to almost always be better than CIJ. love how the plastics yellow on japanese fenders

congrats man. amazing find.

Thanks dude. Its an 83-87 E series. E6 serial #. And goddamn it is fun to play! Im a hack guitar player but this thing feels sooooo good.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #422 on: May 07, 2023, 03:29:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just scored an MIJ squier strat for 50 bucks at a yard sale. E6 serial, so its a 37 year old guitar. Other than a scratch, its clean clean clean lake placid blue. Sounds reallllly nice and the neck is sexy as can be. Super stoked. Compared to the artcore ive been playing the quality of the whole guitar is night and day. Ive got a 90s MIM HSS that i kind of don’t like, its just too hot and ive beeen contemplating making it a traditional SSS but this MIJ takes care of that

[close]

wow, those things go for a lot nowadays! last time i checked reverb, which is overpriced anyways, those 80s squiers were from 600-1000 bucks.
[close]

No kidding. I knew the MIJ are good, perhaps better squiers than 90s standard MIM strats, but I didn’t realize they were valuable! Regardless, im happy to have it to play around with. I was thinking i may have had to take it apart to check electronics but its not going to be necessary. Got a nice tweed case at the junk shop for 20-30 bucks a while back thats needed a guitar. Sorry. Not trying to boast or gloat, just hyped on an $80 80s fender and hardcase.

Only found it cuz i was teaching my
Partner to drive stick shift on a street instead of parking lot for the first time. What a day!

Dude, that’s an amazing deal! I have an E7 Squier (there’s a pic back on page 10) and there are a lot of times I’ll go to a guitar store and think “Well, I haven’t played anything here with a neck I prefer to my Squier.”

You couldn’t sell one for more than $300 for the last 30 years and now they’re $500-800. Which isn’t unreasonable because if you spend $800 on a new MIM Fender you’re probably getting sharp ass frets.

The stock pickups are rather one-dimensional. Swapping those out is an easy improvement. I put 57/62s in mine but they are very quack-y. I like the vintage voice and bell-like sounds but they’re not ideal when you want to rock. I’d go for something a hair darker if I did it again.

The selector switch is pretty shitty but if it cuts out you can cycle it back and forth really fast to wear off the oxidation. I never bothered to replace mine.

Great score!

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #423 on: May 07, 2023, 05:20:39 PM »
Congrats @fineslime . Always worth splurging to get them setup, you would be cheating yourself otherwise. Plus, you get to support your local tech.  8)

As for hollow or solid bodies that’s why you gotta have like 5 guitars lol.

nothing's been the since same

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #424 on: May 08, 2023, 10:50:48 AM »
Any time someone disparages a Squier or other cheap electric solidbody guitars, I think about this video (which apparently made the owner of PRS absolutely furious).

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

thanksgiving

« Reply #425 on: May 08, 2023, 08:51:16 PM »
any more info about that prs guy being upset?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #426 on: May 09, 2023, 07:39:21 AM »

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/paul-reed-smith-tonewood-doesnt-matter-dipped-in-tone-rhett-shull-zach-broyles/

I haven't actually watched it, I just heard it talked about and found it through some Googling. For the record, I think that tonewood for acoustic instruments is hugely important, but almost completely irrelevant for solid body electric guitars.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Banned from the room

« Reply #427 on: May 09, 2023, 07:55:04 AM »
Anyone ever try the Gibson H p90 yet? It comes in the Billy Joe Armstrong Gibson from a few years back.

I'm thinking about ordering one. I just worry that it won't sound like a real p90 and I should just get a real mini humbucker

Banned from the room

« Reply #428 on: May 12, 2023, 05:06:51 PM »

i love this riff. i have shorts on
lol

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2023, 06:11:17 PM »
it's fine if you don't have shorts on you can admit it we're all pals here

Banned from the room

« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2023, 06:42:49 PM »
it's fine if you don't have shorts on you can admit it we're all pals here

away from my ig i always rock the boxers. Naked guitar sessions will increase in like a week because i got a string of shows coming up.

im so stoked

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #431 on: May 13, 2023, 06:07:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/paul-reed-smith-tonewood-doesnt-matter-dipped-in-tone-rhett-shull-zach-broyles/

I haven't actually watched it, I just heard it talked about and found it through some Googling. For the record, I think that tonewood for acoustic instruments is hugely important, but almost completely irrelevant for solid body electric guitars.

I don’t think there’s a magical tonewood out there but I can see why PRS has issues with that video. If you read the comments there’s like 12,000 people crowing that it “proves” guitars have no intrinsic musical quantities beyond their pickups.

There isn’t really a big enough sample size to prove that different woods and bodies have no impact on tone. Different woods have different densities, different densities vibrate at different frequencies. That’s going to have an impact on attack, sustain, and brightness.

My friend has a cheapie Strat copy that feels like wet driftwood. Even with new strings, a fretted bar chord dies out in 3/4 of the time the same chord will ring on my old MIJ Squier Strat (alder and maple).

That his 2x4 sounded like the Tele was cool but maybe not surprising because a Tele is essentially a 2x4, he’s using a nearly identical neck, and the absence of a bigger body isn’t doing much to interfere with your basic Bright Ass Tele sound. Would a basswood body and rosewood fingerboard have made a difference? What about a chambered body?

The “air guitar” test seems mind blowing but it’s really more of a “no duh” thing. Identical open  strings at identical tension should sound identical. That doesn’t prove that any number of available combinations of materials, sizes, shapes, scale lengths, bridge types, nut materials, etc. will always sound the same - even with the same pickups.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #432 on: May 13, 2023, 03:26:16 PM »
electric guitars are like furniture to me, in the sense that expensive furniture made from rare stuff does the same job that cheap furniture does. the reasons to pay a higher price usually have nothing to do with functionality. you pay for craftsmanship, longevity, etc. specs for electrics are pretty transparent. everyone can decide for themselves if they are willing shell off a couple hundred more for the same spec guitar, just made with a more exotic wood that might make the guitar sound better. or worse. you just don't know. to me it's esoterics, but i understand where it comes from. i am sure the wood has an influence, but unless the guitar is literally rotting away and you are very familiar with the setup, or have the opportunity to actually listen side by side, i think it would be hard to tell woods apart. i think people choose tonewood from a "might as well" perspective. tone wood guitars usually cost a premium, i think people set themselves up for buying an expensive guitar first, and then why not buy the one with the nice wood that promises you mojo. that dentist who decided now it's time for a les paul doesn't really care about the wood probably, but it's an easy sell to guys like these to tell them about tonewood and stuff so they have a cool story to tell about that 4.5k guitar they can barely play. 

i personally don't care at all about the wood in terms of tone. i'd care more about the guitar being lighter/having a better balance or the wood not being some super exotic, endangered type stuff. honestly would rather want to buy a guitar made out of common woods. actually, the holy grail for me would be a full aluminum whip.

lastly, qc plays a huge role in the pricing of more expensive guitars. they just do everything under less time pressure and more thoroughly, or at least they are supposed to. a couple hundred extra pay for a bunch of workers inspecting and maybe fixing up that guitar for a day, in comparison to a cheaper model which gets a superficial 5 minute check. granted, this can also go wrong, and gibson has become infamous for bad qc in the last few years.

a good sounding guitar sounds good. that should be all.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #433 on: May 13, 2023, 04:56:47 PM »
Any time someone disparages a Squier or other cheap electric solidbody guitars, I think about this video (which apparently made the owner of PRS absolutely furious).

that guys channel is amazing. every guitarist can learn something from his videos.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #434 on: June 14, 2023, 02:18:28 PM »
i saw this guitar and now i want it so bad :(

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: June 17, 2023, 09:23:11 PM »
anyone use an amp simulator for PC? every free amp simulator I download has this insane buzzing noise every 30 seconds.

does anyone know of a legit free amp simulator, or better yet, anyone wanna hook your boy up with a registration key?? will gnar when I can gnar :D

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #436 on: June 19, 2023, 09:44:49 PM »
found a solid $10 a month subscription based amp simulator - it's called STL Ignite AmpHub. comes with a ton of presets, amps and pedals. great product for the price.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: June 23, 2023, 07:33:48 AM »

i love this riff. i have shorts on
lol

p90 bridge pick up only is a bold move. it pays off here.

flannelslut

• Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #438 on: July 10, 2023, 02:14:24 PM »
just finished this short scale skate bass

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #439 on: July 10, 2023, 05:07:39 PM »
just finished this short scale skate bass

All the work you’ve posted is beautiful!

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #440 on: July 11, 2023, 08:11:50 AM »
anyone use an amp simulator for PC? every free amp simulator I download has this insane buzzing noise every 30 seconds.

does anyone know of a legit free amp simulator, or better yet, anyone wanna hook your boy up with a registration key?? will gnar when I can gnar :D
Ditch the subscription, and just get their Emissary and IR loader for later use.

Get Neural Amp Modeler, it’s free. It’s a learning software, where other users profile their high end amps.
Alway been a real amp kinda guy, but this stuff is clearly taking off. Don’t misunderstand me, I much prefer 200lbs of fire breathing Marshall JVM, but if your living situation doesn’t allow turning up, why bother.

Have you sorted out your buzzing?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2023, 12:36:29 PM »
i saw this guitar and now i want it so bad :(

I play a very similar model Jackson with a Floyd Rose trem system and I love it way more than I initially thought. My only nitpick is that the stock Jackson pickups are really hot.

Banned from the room

« Reply #442 on: July 26, 2023, 12:34:57 PM »
https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/soap-bar/p90-super-distortion

Has anyone tried this pickup?

Or perhaps a DiMarzio pg 13?

Banned from the room

« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2023, 10:09:12 AM »

I chose a sticker for my fiddle. It wasn't my first choice but I couldn't find a good photo sticker of Lil Wayne. Also no one liked that idea.

It's ok...
I guess they don't understand that Lil Wayne is the goat of modern hip-hop. He and Wu Tang are my shit. I feel it would have been way cooler than the Crass logo. Everyone knows that Crass is my #1. Not everyone knows I love Wayne

Also everyone should know everyone of these JRs needs a pickup shim.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 11:00:06 AM by Uncle Flea »

thanksgiving

« Reply #444 on: September 24, 2023, 12:32:39 AM »
new amp :)

this thing is insanely loud, bit off more than i can chew but loving it

Banned from the room

« Reply #445 on: September 24, 2023, 10:59:40 AM »
new amp :)

this thing is insanely loud, bit off more than i can chew but loving it

My hairs are on end looking at it. Congratulations yo

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #446 on: October 04, 2023, 08:29:41 PM »

I chose a sticker for my fiddle. It wasn't my first choice but I couldn't find a good photo sticker of Lil Wayne. Also no one liked that idea.

It's ok...
I guess they don't understand that Lil Wayne is the goat of modern hip-hop. He and Wu Tang are my shit. I feel it would have been way cooler than the Crass logo. Everyone knows that Crass is my #1. Not everyone knows I love Wayne

I got one too. More of a fender guy but I had a 2007 white Gibson melody maker that just felt too lightweight. The body was thin and when played aggressively seemed to warp the sound since it wasn’t sturdy. Sold that off. Got a low quality epiphone les Paul jr and it was fun but janky as a freebie. Thought I would upgrade to a proper one since I had fun with the free les Paul jr. Plus Johnny thunders is an inspiration along with Pete Shelley of buzzcocks played one later in his career. Don’t care for Green Day’s music and the crass sticker is a sick choice. Punk af.

nothing's been the since same

Banned from the room

« Reply #447 on: October 05, 2023, 06:13:19 AM »
Expand Quote

It's ok...

[close]

I got one too. More of a fender guy but I had a 2007 white Gibson melody maker that just felt too lightweight. The body was thin and when played aggressively seemed to warp the sound since it wasn’t sturdy. Sold that off. Got a low quality epiphone les Paul jr and it was fun but janky as a freebie. Thought I would upgrade to a proper one since I had fun with the free les Paul jr. Plus Johnny thunders is an inspiration along with Pete Shelley of buzzcocks played one later in his career. Don’t care for Green Day’s music and the crass sticker is a sick choice. Punk af.

Hell yeah.

I just did a record with this on lead. I used a 94 Gibson one off. It basically is the 93 classic premium Plus top but the silk screen and binding are different.
Abr1 500t.

We played though a 70s Marshal and a triple rec with the Gibson.

I used a bass man and a peddle with the jr.

So fun

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: October 05, 2023, 08:59:03 PM »

recently discovered Tory Slusher. she's insanely talented and does some crazy jazz fusion tapping, but without it being overly gimmicky. her right hand finger picking technique is next level. her YouTube channel is worth checking out. absolute shredder and seems like a pretty cool chick.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 09:05:56 PM by fineslime »

DERBY

• Rep: 272
« Reply #449 on: October 07, 2023, 03:58:13 PM »
the squier baritone tele is so temping