Author Topic: Bearing Spacers  (Read 6448 times)

momiller5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Bearing Spacers
« on: May 08, 2019, 02:14:03 AM »
I realize there are a few threads about spacers already, but none of them really gave me the answers I was looking for:

Bought a set of Swiss Labyrinths recently and tried to put them w/ spacers in my Spitfires. I noticed the spacer was not secure inside the core of the wheel -- it rattled around when I shook the wheel. Is this how spacers are meant to be? Didn't seem right to me so I went ahead and put the bearings on without them.

I guess just more generally speaking, how do you guys feel about spacers? Are there any advantages to not putting them on and/or are certain wheels just not really meant to accommodate spacers?

Thanks.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
Re: Bearing Spacers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 04:52:54 AM »
I don't think I have ever used the spacers. Honestly I don't exactly know what they do and at this point I'm afraid to ask.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FredGallsBallz

• Rep: -7
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »
I realize there are a few threads about spacers already, but none of them really gave me the answers I was looking for:

Bought a set of Swiss Labyrinths recently and tried to put them w/ spacers in my Spitfires. I noticed the spacer was not secure inside the core of the wheel -- it rattled around when I shook the wheel. Is this how spacers are meant to be? Didn't seem right to me so I went ahead and put the bearings on without them.

I guess just more generally speaking, how do you guys feel about spacers? Are there any advantages to not putting them on and/or are certain wheels just not really meant to accommodate spacers?

Thanks.

What Spitfires? I have the opposite problem. I wanted to put spacers in my 53mm SF Classics but the spacers slightly protrude from the inner wheel ring and the bearings won't sit flush.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 07:03:28 AM »
spacers keep your bearings parallel and reduce the stress of having them not parallel

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 07:08:10 AM »
I think you're supposed to tighten the axle nut all the way down to stop them from rattling? I don't know because I don't use them. I know they're supposed to make bearings work more efficiently and protect them from damage caused by sideways impacts and loads on wheels that happen during skating. Personally I can't stand the deadened sound they give your entire setup and my cheap-mid priced bearings last long enough and work well enough without them.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
I’ve never used spacers besides K-Mart completes back in the day.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 09:47:21 AM »
I only started using spacers recently, but now I don't think I can go without them.

Spacers reduce all that load that bearings take from hard landings, powerslides, what have you, thus prolonging the life of your bearings. I wanna think that more often than not, the ones who have the tendency to blow out their bearings don't use spacers.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:34:14 AM »
Spacers is to:
1. Make the bearings parallel
2. Make the inner rings connect and not spin

Why?
Most skaters dont use it, and have some sideways play on the wheels. As the wheels wont turn if they tighten them all the way down. This mean a notsogood load on the bearings.
Makes sens, right?

So if you use everything as intended, and tighten the wheel all the way, it will still spin, have less bad load, and will last longer.  But as discussed before, wheels do not have low enough tolerances. Therefore it might not function as good as it should.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 11:44:50 AM »
I use spacers and speed rings. If I don’t I bust bearings pretty quickly.

If spacers the spacers that came with your bones bearings aren’t fitting in a spit or oj or bones something is wrong with the seats.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 11:21:29 PM »
Spacers is to:
1. Make the bearings parallel
2. Make the inner rings connect and not spin

Why?
Most skaters dont use it, and have some sideways play on the wheels. As the wheels wont turn if they tighten them all the way down. This mean a notsogood load on the bearings.
Makes sens, right?

So if you use everything as intended, and tighten the wheel all the way, it will still spin, have less bad load, and will last longer.  But as discussed before, wheels do not have low enough tolerances. Therefore it might not function as good as it should.

The only way I can get things perfect is race reds in bones wheels....they consistently have correct cores....yes, it makes your board sound dead....

chiefqueef420

• Rep: -6
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
In theory, spacers should work great. In actuality though it's just not worth bothering when no ones sizing (on spacers and wheels) is consistent.
i pop my shields and sprinkle some sand in there. i want to make sure i approach that ledge as slow as possible so i dont slip out on my 5050s

Dustwardprez

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 12:01:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks.
[close]

What Spitfires? I have the opposite problem. I wanted to put spacers in my 53mm SF Classics but the spacers slightly protrude from the inner wheel ring and the bearings won't sit flush.

I’ve Had 5 different spit shapes with 3 styles of bearings with spacers. I’ve had no problems.

What I’m getting from your post is that the spacers are preventing the bearings from reaching the proper depth?

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 12:49:10 AM »
If the spacers protrude slightly and you keep skating them then the wheels will start wearing from the inside too. Use a file (or some grip tape) and carefully file down the longer spacers until they are flush. I have never managed to make this work as good as a perfect spacer would.
If the spacers are short then the wheel starts doing the step thing when tightened fully.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Nicki

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 03:07:20 AM »
spacers keep your bearings parallel and reduce the stress of having them not parallel

Pretty much this. The skate wheel is primarily a tyre, and the bearings + spacers provide the extra structural support. Yeah you can get away with not having them, just like only using 2 or 3 bolts - but it’s not stable especially at high speeds/powerslides. I ripped out the core of my wheel sliding without spacers - maybe a bad wheel - but it’s never happened again since I started using the spacers.

And I don’t tighten them all the way, I like a tiny bit of rattle - so the extra support of the spacer is perfect for me.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 04:07:49 AM »
Just set up a new set of swiss 6, and used spacers for the first time in 15 years probably. All because of this forum. I can see the reasons for it and if it helps in the long run the extra 30 seconds it took will be worth it

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 04:48:24 AM »
Would washer, bearing, washer, spacer, washer, bearing, washer solve world hunger?

* reporting back, we should ban wheels that don't comply with bearing spacers man. Washer spacer washer tech is leaving em hungry
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:51:00 AM by talklessSkateMore »
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 05:14:15 AM »
inb4 built in spacers

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 06:48:56 AM »
I’m a keep-the-shields-on type but I stopped believing in spacers because urethane deforms too much while you’re skating for them to perform their function. but I have no proof. just an observation from skating with spacers and still getting blown out bearings and noticing bearings come out of their seats a bit while skating, causing the wheels to tighten.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 07:52:32 AM »
It's possible I think too that the situations we put our boards in make all the points moot.....I'm on a good streak of metal on metal and it seems as if the bearings are lasting well...

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
The spacer is supposed to be wider then the middle of the bearing seat, not exactly the same.  That way you know you will always have contact between the space and bearings.  Nothing is designed expecting to have a perfect fit.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »
they still work even if you don't have them tightened all the way to dead sound.  they reduce the ability for the inner and outer races to misalign too much during any lateral force situation or any type of bonk or contouring which will fuck your shit up sooner.

recently noticed before leaving the office that two of my wheels weren't spinning as well.  thought maybe some rust from the spring rains (i keep lube at my desk) but turns out two of my crowns were cracked.  i took out the loose pieces, lubed them and am currently running the two bearings (on separate wheels) with less then half a crown.  was gonna replace them when i got home but they have been working fine/fast for the last almost 2 weeks.  maybe it's the deeper races of the swiss 6 and that i keep my shields on but i didn't think this was possible.  they are 7 years old.

i understand the aesthetic appeal of showing your balls, and how important the sounds of things are but all those parts are there for valid structural reasons.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1148
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 08:20:56 PM »
Which is the more unnecessary accessory: bearing spacers or aftermarket pivot cups?

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

talklessSkateMore

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 03:03:14 AM »
Not all cups are created equally

tedkootz

• Rep: -59
  • my life be like ooh ahh
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 12:41:55 PM »
spacers are unnecessary.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
Which is the more unnecessary accessory: bearing spacers or aftermarket pivot cups?

I saw some stupid colored axle nuts in a shop which came with a pack of andale bearings I think. Who uses colored axle nuts? So tacky haha.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 08:34:42 PM »
One other thing I've discovered in trying to get things perfect.....I put a tiny bit of oil or coconut oil on the inside of my wheel so the bearing goes in deep and is sitting how it's intended.  Often the bearing doesn't go in all the way and is hung up on the minor imperfections of the core....

talklessSkateMore

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »
Ohh......... You've discovered.......... The secret........... Thanks J.............. Soy..........................

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:10 PM »
  Ive got the aftermarket pivots in my indy69s and i say dont knock them.  Im mean if the wheels should be urethane and the bushings should be urethane why are you opposed to pivot cups that cost more than a fraction of a cent to produce and are urethane as well? Theyre not "necessary" but neither is skateboarding in general.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 08:02:38 AM »
I’ve come to the conclusion that spacers only serve their intended purpose of they fit the inside of the wheel correctly so that both your bearings can be fully seated. The problem is they often just don’t fit and as soon as you take out your spacers, shit starts working better.

Nicki

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 10:12:21 PM »

Picked up these bad boys today for my cruiser. Works a treat, noticeably improved stability and speed, very happy with the results.

https://seismicskate.com/product/tekton-precision-profiled-xt-steel-spacers/