Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108096 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1560 on: December 26, 2020, 01:13:41 PM »
Expand Quote
The keep-skating-underground-staby-vx-eurpoean-free-jazz-soundtrack-skateboarding is just as embarrassing to watch in 2020 as Southern California rail skateboarding.
[close]

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. It’s been almost 10 years since the sort of Polar/Cherry/Bronze/Palace explosion shifted the industry to be a little less California-centric and now we are definitely seeing a little bit of a glut in the other direction. Gritty/VX/no-comply type skating has become its own set of cliches.

HOWEVER I am more convinced than ever that SoCal footage is just less interesting from a visual perspective. Compare footage from a SoCal schoolyard/rail/gap against anything from NYC/Paris/London etc and there’s quite literally less going on in the frame with the California footy. Fewer pedestrians, fewer businesses, fewer awnings, less cracks in the sidewalk, fewer cobblestones, etc. Not to say one is definitively “better” than the other, but I personally get a lot more hyped when I see onlookers gawking, cars going by, etc.

I think there’s an argument to be made that the clean framing of a SoCal spot showcases the skating more fully since there are no distractions, and that’s fine. But for me I relate much more to the experience of getting out in the streets than I do to sailing across a sterile concrete desert.

Sounds like he's just ultra picky/grumpy.

Awaiting his response though.

What kind of aesthetic/skating do you like?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #1561 on: December 26, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »
Expand Quote
The keep-skating-underground-staby-vx-eurpoean-free-jazz-soundtrack-skateboarding is just as embarrassing to watch in 2020 as Southern California rail skateboarding.
[close]

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. It’s been almost 10 years since the sort of Polar/Cherry/Bronze/Palace explosion shifted the industry to be a little less California-centric and now we are definitely seeing a little bit of a glut in the other direction. Gritty/VX/no-comply type skating has become its own set of cliches.

HOWEVER I am more convinced than ever that SoCal footage is just less interesting from a visual perspective. Compare footage from a SoCal schoolyard/rail/gap against anything from NYC/Paris/London etc and there’s quite literally less going on in the frame with the California footy. Fewer pedestrians, fewer businesses, fewer awnings, less cracks in the sidewalk, fewer cobblestones, etc. Not to say one is definitively “better” than the other, but I personally get a lot more hyped when I see onlookers gawking, cars going by, etc.

I think there’s an argument to be made that the clean framing of a SoCal spot showcases the skating more fully since there are no distractions, and that’s fine. But for me I relate much more to the experience of getting out in the streets than I do to sailing across a sterile concrete desert.

Damn, this is exactly how I feel. 100% relate more to the experience of stepping out your front door and pushing down a city street than driving to big isolated spot to do a single trick. Definitely more interested in a vibrant, busy backdrop to skating, too... I also think it's more visually appealing and doesn't necessarily distract from the skating. Has more life and texture. If anything, I think the skating can really stand out or be highlighted in a city setting, especially if it's a line done through a busy plaza or something bc the skater is moving through the frame in a unique way compared to everyone else. Jazz usually fits pretty well to this kind of scene for many reasons...

I'm thinking Horses is just sick of the more cliched examples in the vx/underground direction or maybe how popular that style has become in skate videos. There will always be two ends of the spectrum.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1562 on: December 26, 2020, 02:21:54 PM »
hammers are  boring flowy lines are kool

BurntPorridge

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1563 on: December 26, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »
hammers are  boring flowy lines are kool

Nothing like seeing a flowy line that leads up to a hammer though.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #1564 on: December 26, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn, this is exactly how I feel. 100% relate more to the experience of stepping out your front door and pushing down a city street than driving to big isolated spot to do a single trick. Definitely more interested in a vibrant, busy backdrop to skating, too... I also think it's more visually appealing and doesn't necessarily distract from the skating. Has more life and texture. If anything, I think the skating can really stand out or be highlighted in a city setting, especially if it's a line done through a busy plaza or something bc the skater is moving through the frame in a unique way compared to everyone else. Jazz usually fits pretty well to this kind of scene for many reasons...

I'm thinking Horses is just sick of the more cliched examples in the vx/underground direction or maybe how popular that style has become in skate videos. There will always be two ends of the spectrum.

This is true. I made a comment in a thread probably 6 months ago, in a thread about a Japanese VX clip, and how it looks like every other Japanese clip, all filmed at night, all doing 'non' tricks, filmed like complete shit. Sure it was kind cool at the time of the emergence of small brands at the turn of the decade, but it hasn't really evolved at all, and looks as stale as someone locking into a 50-50 on at a long kinked rail outside a stadium in San Diego, in my opinion.

As for the style of skating I like, not sure, but my favourite skaters right now are  - Chris Jones, Rory Milanes, Cyrus Bennett, Nick Michael, Kyle Wilson, Josh Pall, Ben Lawrie.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #1565 on: December 26, 2020, 03:52:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is true. I made a comment in a thread probably 6 months ago, in a thread about a Japanese VX clip, and how it looks like every other Japanese clip, all filmed at night, all doing 'non' tricks, filmed like complete shit. Sure it was kind cool at the time of the emergence of small brands at the turn of the decade, but it hasn't really evolved at all, and looks as stale as someone locking into a 50-50 on at a long kinked rail outside a stadium in San Diego, in my opinion.

As for the style of skating I like, not sure, but my favourite skaters right now are  - Chris Jones, Rory Milanes, Cyrus Bennett, Nick Michael, Kyle Wilson, Josh Pall, Ben Lawrie.

Beyond ready for a new Kyle Wilson part, regardless of the camera used to film it!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1566 on: December 26, 2020, 08:30:28 PM »
Fucking Awesome is the corniest company name ever

If I remember correctly, that’s the appeal of the name. It’s incredibly stupid along with the logo that is ridiculous.

Not sure what interview dill says this.

nothing's been the since same

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #1567 on: December 26, 2020, 08:47:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Fucking Awesome is the corniest company name ever
[close]

If I remember correctly, that’s the appeal of the name. It’s incredibly stupid along with the logo that is ridiculous.

Not sure what interview dill says this.

Should have called it Fucking Friday (the fucking 10th)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1568 on: December 26, 2020, 09:34:53 PM »
^

fa was just dills attempt at a cash grab to capitalize on bape style fashion, all over print and stuff. i remember that everyone, especially on here, thought it was ridiculous. it got shitted on to no end. that was when, 2006 or 07. then it went under and after he quit alien he resurrected it as his board brand. i don't know if i read the same interview as you, jgonzales, but i read one in some german graffiti/street culture mag, so no skate publication. dill basically shat all over his own brand in that interview, i remember i found it super weird. it was basically like "yeah, i started to make these dumb ass clothes that i sell for ridiculous prices at supreme, haha. the aesthetic sucks, but people are stupid and love it anyway, haha."

name of the mag is stylefile, couldn't find the interview on the internet unfortunately or i would have provided a link. but this is how i remember him coming off like.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1569 on: December 27, 2020, 05:59:51 AM »
Crailtap had a great year for putting new talent on. Especially Chocolate.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

looks ok to me

« Reply #1570 on: December 27, 2020, 07:01:30 AM »
2020 has been a great year overall

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #1571 on: December 27, 2020, 07:10:12 AM »
2020 has been a great year overall

Ouch

Yikes

Eugh....

How many dead worldwide?

Not to mention in America which seems to be getting eaten alive by its own stupidity regarding Coronavirus
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 07:25:01 AM by RichardBarkley »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #1572 on: December 27, 2020, 10:23:05 AM »
i i never really got metallica. to me they always sounded soft, overproduced, and more cringe than hard. no idea why they should be one of the best metal bands of all time. to me that's stadium rock at best. the border to foofighters is fluid.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #1573 on: December 27, 2020, 10:25:27 AM »
i i never really got metallica. to me they always sounded soft, overproduced, and more cringe than hard. no idea why they should be one of the best metal bands of all time. to me that's stadium rock at best. the border to foofighters is fluid.
kill em all is good, especially for it's time. It's raw, unpretentious.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1574 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:24 AM »

really? when i first heard Battery it was the heaviest thing ever
i guess if you know heavy music before you know metallica then it makes sense you dont consider them heavy BUT even today the first few albums have some big ass songs! Kill Em ALL is a beast

while im here, Black metal is just noise - it literally sounds shit on purpose, so it makes perfect sense the trendy style over substance brands have jumped on its band wagin.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1575 on: December 27, 2020, 10:34:06 AM »
Kill Em All is great. Do your homework.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1576 on: December 27, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »

first 3 records are like all time greats in the genre

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #1577 on: December 27, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
Everything after Black Album is complete shit.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1578 on: December 27, 2020, 10:59:39 AM »
Everything after Black Album is complete shit.

Garage inc introduced me to so many good bands i cant help but love it.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1579 on: December 27, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »
it shoulda been Lars...

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #1580 on: December 27, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

really? when i first heard Battery it was the heaviest thing ever
i guess if you know heavy music before you know metallica then it makes sense you dont consider them heavy BUT even today the first few albums have some big ass songs! Kill Em ALL is a beast

while im here, Black metal is just noise - it literally sounds shit on purpose, so it makes perfect sense the trendy style over substance brands have jumped on its band wagin.

That reminds me:

- Noise is more varied than black metal.

- Modern "black metal" (Wolves In The Throne Room, Agalloch, Yellow Eyes, etc.) is far more interesting/relatable than the majority of first-wave norwegian stuff.

- Ulver & Weakling did it better.

Edit: Just realized this isn't the Unpopular Music Opinions thread.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 12:12:19 PM by skate_or_dingus »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1581 on: December 27, 2020, 11:58:58 AM »
i saw wolves in the throne room and it was good- they’re no immortal imo

they did play entirely by candlelight which was dope

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1582 on: December 27, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »
I saw Wolves in The Throne Room and it was a bit lethargic

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #1583 on: December 27, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »
I’m glad shaped decks are not as niche as they used to be. I genuinely enjoy skating them and I doubt I will ever buy another popsicle again.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1584 on: December 27, 2020, 12:37:52 PM »
Deafheaven sucks, like Urban Outfitters if they had a metal label.

ColorWheelsGraphicsOut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1585 on: December 27, 2020, 01:37:24 PM »
Metal is power fantasy music for wimpy dorks.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1586 on: December 27, 2020, 02:27:18 PM »

Metal is great music for great people. You need to get out more.

Thunder trucks are too fucking low.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -215
« Reply #1587 on: December 27, 2020, 04:36:18 PM »

see also: sports, rap music, Marvel movies

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1588 on: December 27, 2020, 04:40:53 PM »
Deafheaven sucks, like Urban Outfitters if they had a metal label.
Hey now Sunbather has a few good ones despite being kinda mainstream

Panther Breath

« Reply #1589 on: December 27, 2020, 04:47:59 PM »

so what music do you consider "hard?"