Author Topic: After hiatus, subject of skate shoes oddly intense  (Read 5673 times)

MisterSpaceman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
After hiatus, subject of skate shoes oddly intense
« on: February 02, 2021, 09:59:36 AM »
I created an account just to get to the bottom of this. I started skating again after a long hiatus blah blah blah I won’t bore you guys with that tired story.

I wanna recap some things about shoes I’ve seen in other threads.

Anyway, like many skaters starting after a long break I am weary of the over saturation of Nike, Adidas etc that are now in skateboarding. I‘m not down to spend 90 bucks on a pair of skate shoes that were straight up created with slavery. I mean, I’m not without sin as a consumer but buying an overpriced shoe by a corporate company that bribed its way into the culture WHILE ALSO committing  slavery seems wild to me. That being said the shoes do look good. Which is a big part of their success.

So I’ve been researching new companies. It seems like the “core” companies have fallen off a bit. I bought a pair of Lakais recently and they are honestly feeling really nice. Not sure what’s up with the allegations of sub par quality with these brands. I think it comes down to the core shoes just not being cool anymore. Which is honestly fine. It happens.

I recently found out about Cariuma, which although not perfect seems like a step in the right direction. But I found the Slap thread on cariuma and y’all tore them a new *sshole.

The main complaints were that they are “buying” their way into the culture, but then the same people are talking about how they would rather buy a pair of Dunks with the same money. Did Nike not “buy” their way into the culture? It’s remarkable how they accomplished this by literally just chucking wads of money at it. So what’s new about this?

Another complaint was Berra’s involvement.  He’s a Scientologist. (Legit complaint) And just not cool. That’s the issue as I understand it. And while I also understand how problematic Scientology is, he’s “employed” by Cariuma. He’s not an owner, etc. it’s a problem, absolutely. But it’s not “massive slavery shoe farm” level problem. High level old head Pro skaters have been fairly deeply infiltrated by Scientology unfortunately. It needs to be addressed. But if we tossed every company that sponsored a Scientologist in the trash that would also get rid of Nike. Hmmm.

Lastly, another complaint, that the shoe is ugly.
True it is. But I’m willing to deal with ugly shoes if it’s just for skateboarding in. I don’t think they’re “that bad” honestly, but hopefully they get a shoe going without that massive logo.  I have to wear work boots during the day so I have become less picky with my sneakers. Also: It’s all subjective, recall that Vans where considered aesthetically unacceptable in the late 90’s early ‘00s. Tastes can change REAL quick.

The point of this thread: are Cariumas really THAT bad guys? No company is perfect and there’s always going to be compromise in our society as consumers. But shouldn’t we allow this step in the right direction? Is the hate really necessary when all of the complaints can be leveled equally at other companies that are “accepted”?

What other shoes are good and somewhat “ethical”? Last Resort?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
Re: After hiatus, subject of skate shoes oddly intense
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »
hello Cariuma TM

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 10:18:57 AM »
Can't wait for your opinion on heart supply

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:23:48 AM »
I already feel like I over did it with this. TLDR.

In short is Cariuma that bad? Are Nike’s really that good? Does it actually matter.
 Also

What is TM?

veritas

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:24:39 AM »
I'd rather support slavery than Cariuma. I'd also rather support slavery than Borra. Neither of these are difficult decisions. Although its pretty clear you have your mind made up and are looking for validation that this company isn't a flaming pile of dogshit.

edit: Scientology also utilizes slave labor and disappears people so that line of moral relativism that these aren't "as bad" doesn't really hold weight.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 34
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »
Cariuma sucks. Berra sucks. The Berrics suck. Heart Supply sucks. Nike sucks. They all suck. Fuck em all. Don’t support either.

Just go skate some States or something. That’ll make you feel ethically better. And they’re actually fucking cool

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »
I'd rather support slavery than Cariuma. I'd also rather support slavery than Borra. Neither of these are difficult decisions. Although its pretty clear you have your mind made up and are looking for validation that this company isn't a flaming pile of dogshit.

Harsh, but fair point about validation lol.
But is it just that they suck because they failed with their marketing where Nike succeeded? In convincing us of being “legit”

I think it’s reasonable to discuss ethics of the big shoe companies even if we discard cariuma as bullshit. I just wanted to know what people actually thought.

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 10:29:45 AM »
Cariuma sucks. Berra sucks. The Berrics suck. Heart Supply sucks. Nike sucks. They all suck. Fuck em all. Don’t support either.

Just go skate some States or something. That’ll make you feel ethically better. And they’re actually fucking cool
I’ll look into states thanks

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »
there's Lakai, State, Last Resort and the Soletech brands and you're caping for Cariuma. I will not buy you ugly shoes mister
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 10:32:42 AM »
I have no idea what cariuma is, but i will use google to find out.

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »
there's Lakai, State, Last Resort and the Soletech brands and you're caping for Cariuma. I will not buy you ugly shoes mister

I haven’t bought them yet and they are expensive. I’m wearing Lakai rn. I just really wanted to know what the problem really was with them. Is it really just Berra being a scientologist?

Your Cousin Marvin

• Rep: -144
  • Having my poasts moderated makes me sad
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 10:35:07 AM »
Weird that your go to after a hiatus would be a new brand- Cariuma .
I came back last year after a ten year break and i was looking for Airwalks and Duffs
1:1 Ratio

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 10:35:20 AM »

Don’t google it! You’ll get ads for life.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 10:35:27 AM »

It's a spice from East Timor.

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 10:36:27 AM »
Weird that your go to after a hiatus would be a new brand- Cariuma .
I came back last year after a ten year break and i was looking for Airwalks and Duffs

Ben Degros video lol.  They still make Duffs?

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 10:36:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven’t bought them yet and they are expensive. I’m wearing Lakai rn. I just really wanted to know what the problem really was with them. Is it really just Berra being a scientologist?

No the problem is that they’re fucking hideous and cringy

Baby on Board

• Rep: 34
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 10:39:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The true problem with cariuma is that they bought their way into skateboarding, not through skateboarding, but strictly through The Berrics/Berrics Instagram. It’s basically the “in-house” shoe company for the Berrics. Think of them as a new distribution, like dlx or nhs, except their goal is to promote Scientology to the minions and take over in the name of xenu

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don’t google it! You’ll get ads for life.

+1 for the sig

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 10:44:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The true problem with cariuma is that they bought their way into skateboarding, not through skateboarding, but strictly through The Berrics/Berrics Instagram. It’s basically the “in-house” shoe company for the Berrics. Think of them as a new distribution, like dlx or nhs, except their goal is to promote Scientology to the minions and take over in the name of xenu

This is the sort of discussion I was looking for. Do you think They are actually trying to spread Scientology?  And didn’t Nike etc also buy their way into it? I mean people may know something I don’t. I understand not supporting them if they are legit a vehicle for Scientology spreading.

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 10:51:10 AM »
And to clarify I am NOT pushing Cariuma. It just seemed like potentially a good thing at first glance, ethically etc. but then I read more about actual skaters not being into them. The shoe game is getting intense like the title says.
I just honestly want to know more and want to know what skaters really think, and if it was a matter of cool factor or if there is an actual reason for the hate.

I’ll buy whatever shoes are on sale but as I get older I’m over supporting f*cked up corporate shills.  No judgement to those of y’all that skate Nike. Whatever. I’m talking about what I want to wear. You do you.
But sooner or later it’s a discussion I wanted to have.

Feel me?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 10:54:20 AM »
you think lakai is made by chill bros in LA making $30 / hr? it is all made for pennies per piece and thats including cariumas. theyve got you bent over so far you dont even recognize your own ass anymore. clownshoe toolbox is this shoe game the problem is so deep rooted you gotta know by now that this entire industry is not sustainable

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 10:54:42 AM »
Damn I miss Duffs

I'm sorry that is all I have to add

Like wtf this shoe is the shit

Paperclip20

• Rep: 136
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 10:58:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is the sort of discussion I was looking for. Do you think They are actually trying to spread Scientology?  And didn’t Nike etc also buy their way into it? I mean people may know something I don’t. I understand not supporting them if they are legit a vehicle for Scientology spreading.

Nike definitely bought their way in, Cariuma did aswell. I don't know the deep intentions of cariuma but they did mass marketing through social media with the berrics and sponsored a bunch of skaters/skate influencers to help push the product to that audience. The shoes may be good, I truly can't say and I don't really have a reason to try them with the pricing. If you would like to support a smaller brand State is a great one that someone mentioned earlier and I highly support them. I've had good luck with some emerica shoes before also. That said i'm currently wearing vans and I doubt they have the absolute best ethical standards either but they feel good and I enjoy wearing them.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 10:58:31 AM »
Julian Davidson

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 11:01:41 AM »
you think lakai is made by chill bros in LA making $30 / hr? it is all made for pennies per piece and thats including cariumas. theyve got you bent over so far you dont even recognize your own ass anymore. clownshoe toolbox is this shoe game the problem is so deep rooted you gotta know by now that this entire industry is not sustainable

I for sure don’t think Lakai is made by chill bros in LA lol.
It’s a pubic hair better than Nike but still skater founded. I agree 100% that none of it is sustainable which is why I’m looking for something else

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 11:06:59 AM »

As someone pointed out, there are options if you want to go "core." I do not want to wear anything associated with sociopaths who point cameras at themselves 24 hours a day. They're not even cheaper than the other options.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
This is probably out of ignorance being bliss, but I feel okay with myself buying Vans, since they are such an old brand associated with skateboarding. But, bare in mind this is only because I have been brainwashed by marketing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:51:32 PM by Croquet temper »

MisterSpaceman

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 11:16:58 AM »
I’ll check out State shoes as a couple of you mentioned.

Thanks for the replies.

I didn’t mean to seem antagonistic I honestly just wanted to talk about it. 

It is impossible to be 100% ethical these days so I don’t want to sound preachy either. Indys are made in China now but I still buy them because it’s the only trucks I’m used to riding.

If there was easy sustainable options I would jump on them.

Hence why I started this thread

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »
Why not just be open about your position at this company, man. There's a New Balance guy and an Emerica guy that answer questions in Shoes/Gear every week. Why did you think this would work
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »
The title of this thread sounds like an Onion article
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"