Author Topic: Width over trucks of Grimple Stix 8.38 and 8.75 shaped boards?  (Read 747 times)

Suangi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Width over trucks of Grimple Stix 8.38 and 8.75 shaped boards?
« on: September 17, 2023, 09:51:00 AM »
Anyone have these boards and able to measure the exact width over the wheels?

Wondering how my indy 144s will fit and if the 8.75 comes in enough to make it workable with these trucks.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Width over trucks of Grimple Stix 8.38 and 8.75 shaped boards?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 11:49:36 AM »
i personally love to have a wider board than trucks
others love wider trucks than board - it really depends on what kind of skating you do and how you want it to look and feel.

imo if you are really wanting to run Indys, then i would say for 8.38" both the 144 and the 149 work absolutely perfect, depending on your preferece for magic carpet or hot rod. 

for the 8.75" id say go with 149 or 159s. 169s are probably a little too big... but it could work if you had them lying around. but just know its a 9.125" axle. slightly bigger than the other size ups.  159s seem to have a decent bit of hot rod anyway pm that shape so i think its perfect (i own anti hero shape board paired with indy 159s - the Blue Meanie so should be similar to what ur lookin at)

Suangi

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 12:07:37 PM »
Yeah. Same. I also love a slightly wider board than trucks. Cannot stand a hot rod sitch.

I am worried the 8.38 might taper too much and give me a sort of mini-longboard look

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 12:31:38 PM »
Yeah. Same. I also love a slightly wider board than trucks. Cannot stand a hot rod sitch.

I am worried the 8.38 might taper too much and give me a sort of mini-longboard look

Are you talking about the Flyer and Mini Flyer, or are you talking about other 8.75/8.38 shapes that Grimple uses?

If you are asking about the Flyer shapes, don’t go bigger than 8.5 in. trucks on the big one and 8.25 in. trucks on the small one or you’ll end up with a hot rod. Honestly, sometimes I even ride 8 in. trucks on the Mini Flyer.

Suangi

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 01:54:08 PM »
Ok nice. Yes, didn't realise they were called 'flyer' and 'mini flyer' but those are the shapes.

So mini flyer with some 8.25" (144s) should be pretty flush?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 03:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you talking about the Flyer and Mini Flyer, or are you talking about other 8.75/8.38 shapes that Grimple uses?

If you are asking about the Flyer shapes, don’t go bigger than 8.5 in. trucks on the big one and 8.25 in. trucks on the small one or you’ll end up with a hot rod. Honestly, sometimes I even ride 8 in. trucks on the Mini Flyer.

I was using the search, was going to quote a post and realised it was from you, with the 144s on the mini shape.

:)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks!

If only everyone was so forthcoming with product information.

Interested to hear how it holds up as well.
[close]

Mine even had a little 'manufactured by BBS' holographic sticker on the wrapper.

Meanwhile, I just got the Mason Silva Kelch hommage deck in the 8.75 flyer shape.... pretty nice.

[close]

Beauty. What's the set up plan?
[close]

I'm not sure yet... Initially I thought I'd put it on the wall but that shape, when standing on it, it begs to be skated. The shape looks almost the exact same as the one with which I landed my first kickflip in the early 90's, just with steeper concave and more up to date nose and tail lengths.

I think 8.25 trucks will fit best depending on what wheels I use, I already have some Indy's and Thunders in that size, I prefer Thunders, and I also already have some 52mm Spitfire Classics so it will probably be that.

This guy put 8.25 trucks on his 8.75 flyer - maybe washers all on the inside to bring the wheels out a touch might work well for you?

Another one on the same 8.25 sized trucks for your viewing pleasure:

Love seeing the Speedwheels on here...

Moving on to the 90s... Bit of stretch to call this period correct but its the closest I could/wanted to get.

Cross post from Set up thread.

8.75" Grimple Slick (Flyer shape)
Af1 44s with stock bushings but might replace with Hard Ace as who wanted to turn in the 90s...?
50mm 101A Classic Lil Smokies. Mix match of old fucked up bearings.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 03:52:03 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »

Grimple 8.75 Flyer shape
Indy 149 Standards
Bones Swiss
Spitfire F4 Classics 52mm

Really love this shape, don't think I'd ride anything else if I could always get it

This is the same board with 149s on it, which might sit a little wide for your liking, just for reference.

I think 144s should work well enough on the 8.75 sized board, if you do like things to sit under, more so than right on or stick out / hot rod.

Another 8.5 sized truck on this one below too, full early 90s period setup which is beautiful in a way I would think is great for a session and then put on the wall for memories, but check it out anyway.

I actually picked up a second set of SML. wheels to go with this new complete. A bit more retro than the soft boiled egg.

Real, James Kelch "Flyer" Slick. 8.7
Venture, V-Light 5.8 trucks (8.5" axle)
SML. wheels 40mm
Diamond Phillips Hardware
Bones Swiss Bearings
Mob Griptape

It's going to get skated, but not until the Soft Boiled egg is cooked.

I do love looking at it... era correct proportions, and something about that slick matte finish flyer graphic.

Suangi

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
Excellent search work sir. I commend you.

Judging from that last photo I'm going with the 8.75 and will stick my 144s on it.

Fingers crossed.

When I get it set up I'll drop a photo and some measurements for future nerds

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 04:51:45 PM »

Easy!

I was going to say there should be a bit more info in the DLX shapes thread or even the Egg shaped boards thread, but sometimes they can be a bit much to have to sift through.

DLX Shapes:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.0

Egg Shaped Boards:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.0

Suangi

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 02:15:55 PM »
In case anyone else has this query I can confirm that Indy 144s fit great on the flyer 8.75 shape. If you don't like trucks sticking out that is. Actually surprised how well they fit

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 03:06:13 PM »

Expand Quote

Moving on to the 90s... Bit of stretch to call this period correct but its the closest I could/wanted to get.

Af1 44s with stock bushings but might replace with Hard Ace as who wanted to turn in the 90s...?

[close]

Yeah, that was mine. I mis posted. Those are AF155s on that. So an 8.5" axle. But I think Af 44s /Indy 144s would be just fine or even better. I wouldn't go up further than 149s, personally as it tapers to less than 8.5" where the back trucks sit and about 8.5" where the front trucks sit, if I remember correctly.

Suangi

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 03:14:01 PM »
Yeah definitely. Fully agree with that. The taper is quite severe. Really fun shape

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 03:18:32 PM »
Yeah definitely. Fully agree with that. The taper is quite severe. Really fun shape

So you have the deck, Indy 144s, then are they Conical Full 56 in 97 duro on there?  Sort of look like that, but I can't quite make them out.

Suangi

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2023, 11:45:52 PM »
Good eye. Yeah 144s with 58mm 97a conical fulls. Probably more like a 56 now as used them on a cruiser for some time

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 01:23:58 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah, that was mine. I mis posted. Those are AF155s on that. So an 8.5" axle. But I think Af 44s /Indy 144s would be just fine or even better. I wouldn't go up further than 149s, personally as it tapers to less than 8.5" where the back trucks sit and about 8.5" where the front trucks sit, if I remember correctly.

Is the tail on the 8.75 Flyer shape really like 6.4? That sounds really short. But it looks good in your photo.
IG: @flowterspace

Suangi

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2023, 06:15:53 AM »
Yeah think that's fairly accurate. It's a really short deck.

Honestly don't think it's for me. The shape is great but it's too small. Feels like a kids board