Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 787222 times)

Scarecrow Radio and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

LebowskisRug

Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #3960 on: February 04, 2022, 10:05:54 AM »
Got some 1010 and they’re super supportive and comfy, but so far feel inflexible and brick like on the board sorta like the newer leather Dunk lows. Do these really not soften up and break in? I got the white/grey leather ones and otherwise really like em.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #3961 on: February 04, 2022, 10:08:56 AM »
Got some 1010 and they’re super supportive and comfy, but so far feel inflexible and brick like on the board sorta like the newer leather Dunk lows. Do these really not soften up and break in? I got the white/grey leather ones and otherwise really like em.

yeah they'll definitely soften up, i definitely can't hop on a board and feel good until i've worn them on foot just walking around for a little. not a super long time mind you, just enough to wear the insole in a bit.

burm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #3962 on: February 04, 2022, 10:51:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nigga please, Tiago did it again! :o

[close]
I think based on how shoe companies work i think Jeff Mikut would have done most of the work.
can your shoe designer skate this well?

[close]

Village Psychic just ran an interview with Jeff

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/jeff-mikut

I appreciate this dude
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #3963 on: February 04, 2022, 01:02:03 PM »
They need to make some blackout gum 1010s with the n as obscure as possible.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -42
« Reply #3964 on: February 08, 2022, 03:15:06 PM »
This is a dumb question but it's assumed those Brown/Black Tiagos are just inaccessible for good now right? Sold out everywhere for months and even resellers don't seem to be flipping 'em. Guess there is such a thing as making a shoe that's too fire  :'(

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3965 on: February 08, 2022, 03:19:50 PM »
This is a dumb question but it's assumed those Brown/Black Tiagos are just inaccessible for good now right? Sold out everywhere for months and even resellers don't seem to be flipping 'em. Guess there is such a thing as making a shoe that's too fire  :'(

the beef and broccoli ones? yeah those were a few releases ago and like you said 'too fire'. i want to say someone mentioned they were coming back though in this thread??

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -42
« Reply #3966 on: February 08, 2022, 04:01:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the beef and broccoli ones? yeah those were a few releases ago and like you said 'too fire'. i want to say someone mentioned they were coming back though in this thread??

Ahh right...it always seems like the hottest gear drops when I'm broke and then once I'm ready to blow cash there's nothing that strikes my fancy lol. Let's hope that someone with the promising inkling was onto something  ;D

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3967 on: February 08, 2022, 06:13:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's finally time to bail on NB#. I just can't find a good fit. I'm a 10 in just about everything.

Just returned some 272s. The NB# sizing is just all over the place for me.

1010: 9.5 too tight/10 too big - I want to try the suede/mesh in a 9.5 tho
306: 10 is a snug fit length-wise (big width and shape is perfect), just a pinch of room in the toe. 10.5 too big
508: too narrow, same sizing issue as the 1010s
255: 10 is too small, 10.5 best fit so far but they hurt the ball of my feet, width and shape is perfect; I also want more padding all around
272: 10 is too long, 9.5 too tight width is ok, if a bit narrow

I've never had such discrepancies between shoes within a brand ,though NB# seems to have more variety when it comes to shoe shapes.
[close]
I was having the same problems with the 1010... 10's were too long, 9.5's too tight and narrow, yet still had some heelslip issues. BUT I just got some 9.5 samples of the new black / tan with orange and they're like a completely different shoe. They fit so good.

I compared them to my other 9.5 pair and the whole upper sits a little higher out of the cupsole, especially at the back. The ankle cuff is literally 5mm taller (see pic below)

I guess this just gives my wide feet more room to fill out.
There's no heelslip, and they feel secure enough that i could probably skate them without even using shoelaces. The only other pair i really felt secure in and enjoyed skating was the brown / black, but they're so nice i don't want to ruin them. I'm DEFINITELY going to skate these.

Not sure if this is a modification that applies to all of the new range or if it's just the samples, but would be curious to find out.
[close]

do samples go through the same production process as mass release? i was thinking maybe it's a bit more 'tailored' and the measurements are more accurate or something along those lines?
but yeah overall, the fit difference between different versions with different materials (see gray day vs beef and broccoli) and mesh toe vs suede toe is something that haunts me about the 1010.
[close]
I examined them thoroughly to find any traces of different materials or production methods but everything seems exactly the same apart from the height. Same country of origin (Indonesia), same size patch in the tongue, just says SS instead of 9.5.

Oh - one other detail, the tongue is longer/taller 

[close]

just got my green tiagos and the fit on them is waaaaay better than on the OG Black/black colorway and also the white leather with gum sole!

Also felt like the tongue was longer in the newer colorway.....now i have to look at em side by side if they are taller!
I can wear the newly released green ones super loose and the fit very securely and i have no heel slip at all

For the new pair, what size did  you get compared to the previous pair?

Also, have y ou tried both the leather/leather and sueded mesh? I'm eyeing the suede mesh for toe room and if the sizing is better all around I'd give them another go (trying on first for sure, no blind buys for NB# anymore).

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3968 on: February 08, 2022, 07:57:47 PM »
Different colorways of the same shoe model should not have different fits. That makes zero sense.

Everyone's favorite gear reviewer Ben even talks about this in 2019

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3969 on: February 08, 2022, 08:20:33 PM »
Different colorways of the same shoe model should not have different fits. That makes zero sense.

Everyone's favorite gear reviewer Ben even talks about this in 2019

i mean it sucks, but it does makes some sense. certain materials have different stiffness, give, etc. so for the 1010 you have the mesh toe and the suede toe. i can picture getting the mesh to replicate the same textile effect as the suede being an issue off the bat. it's just prone to stretching more by it's design, i can imagine it also wears in differently etc. i don't mean to sound preachy, but i always assumed it was just part of shoe buying. canvas shoes fitting different than leather, even if it's the same model for example

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3970 on: February 09, 2022, 03:20:40 AM »
Has anyone got any experience of, or thoughts on the NM 425. I did do a search on the thread but nothing came up. Just wanted to get an idea of how they fit (run usual NB sizing or larger/smaller) and general things like board feel/cushioning.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #3971 on: February 09, 2022, 06:04:20 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but has there been any confirmation from anyone at NB# if they have intentionally tweaked the fit of the 1010, or if what's been observed is just the slight variances that you get from one batch to the next or just results from the different materials?

If they actually adjusted the fit - particularly in having the collar sit higher - that changes my outlook on the shoe. I got a pair (the black/black from the first run) and just couldn't get comfortable in them because of the fit - mainly because my heel was slipping out. If they did adjust that, I may get a newer pair and try them again.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3972 on: February 09, 2022, 06:53:02 AM »
I saw 3 color ways at a shop last week, 2 older and one newer and they were all identical in fit. I would imagine for people between sizes the stiffer leather might feel smaller at first. My Half Cabs start the same way but end up similar.

MikeX

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3973 on: February 09, 2022, 07:40:47 AM »
Since so many of us are complaining about heel lift in the 1010 (myself included), I dont think it would be impossible that they adjusted the measurements of the shoe in the slightest bit during production to make it fit better would it?

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #3974 on: February 09, 2022, 12:52:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's finally time to bail on NB#. I just can't find a good fit. I'm a 10 in just about everything.

306: 10 is a snug fit length-wise (big width and shape is perfect), just a pinch of room in the toe. 10.5 too big
255: 10 is too small, 10.5 best fit so far but they hurt the ball of my feet, width and shape is perfect; I also want more padding all around

I've never had such discrepancies between shoes within a brand ,though NB# seems to have more variety when it comes to shoe shapes.
[close]
I was having the same problems with the 1010... 10's were too long, 9.5's too tight and narrow, yet still had some heelslip issues. BUT I just got some 9.5 samples of the new black / tan with orange and they're like a completely different shoe. They fit so good.

I compared them to my other 9.5 pair and the whole upper sits a little higher out of the cupsole, especially at the back. The ankle cuff is literally 5mm taller (see pic below)

There's no heelslip, and they feel secure enough that i could probably skate them without even using shoelaces. The only other pair i really felt secure in and enjoyed skating was the brown / black, but they're so nice i don't want to ruin them. I'm DEFINITELY going to skate these.

Not sure if this is a modification that applies to all of the new range or if it's just the samples, but would be curious to find out.
[close]

do samples go through the same production process as mass release? i was thinking maybe it's a bit more 'tailored' and the measurements are more accurate or something along those lines?
but yeah overall, the fit difference between different versions with different materials (see gray day vs beef and broccoli) and mesh toe vs suede toe is something that haunts me about the 1010.
[close]
I examined them thoroughly to find any traces of different materials or production methods but everything seems exactly the same apart from the height. Same country of origin (Indonesia), same size patch in the tongue, just says SS instead of 9.5.

[close]

just got my green tiagos and the fit on them is waaaaay better than on the OG Black/black colorway and also the white leather with gum sole!

Also felt like the tongue was longer in the newer colorway.....now i have to look at em side by side if they are taller!
I can wear the newly released green ones super loose and the fit very securely and i have no heel slip at all
[close]

Also, have y ou tried both the leather/leather and sueded mesh? I'm eyeing the suede mesh for toe room and if the sizing is better all around I'd give them another go (trying on first for sure, no blind buys for NB# anymore).
Yes I have five different pairs. First pair, brown black suede in size 10. These fit pretty good in the toe thanks to the flex and stretch of the suede, but there is still a little bit of ankle slip. I followed this up with two more pairs of size 10, one black suede with mesh, one white leather with mesh, both are too long, with serious ankle slip issues for skating, but are fine for just chilling, and still look great so i'm happy with them as chillers.
Followed this with the white leather and grey suede in the pic above, in size 9.5 and the leather on top. the toe is stiff and has not really stretched out after many hours of wear and about 5 hours of skating. They skate pretty good but just fit tight.

The new pair are also 9.5 but are suede and mesh toe, and the toe is perfectly wide, they fit beautifully, but the most significant difference is the upper is taller, so internal height and volume are greater.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3975 on: February 09, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
Has anyone got any experience of, or thoughts on the NM 425. I did do a search on the thread but nothing came up. Just wanted to get an idea of how they fit (run usual NB sizing or larger/smaller) and general things like board feel/cushioning.

I'd imagine they'd fit pretty much like the numerics. Definitely less board feel, less cushion but a little more padded. I've only had the All Coast 574s and they almost felt like a skate shoe. I'd recommend steering clear, as I'd bet the farm you can find a shoe that'd skate better for the same price.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3976 on: February 09, 2022, 04:41:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Yes I have five different pairs. First pair, brown black suede in size 10. These fit pretty good in the toe thanks to the flex and stretch of the suede, but there is still a little bit of ankle slip. I followed this up with two more pairs of size 10, one black suede with mesh, one white leather with mesh, both are too long, with serious ankle slip issues for skating, but are fine for just chilling, and still look great so i'm happy with them as chillers.
Followed this with the white leather and grey suede in the pic above, in size 9.5 and the leather on top. the toe is stiff and has not really stretched out after many hours of wear and about 5 hours of skating. They skate pretty good but just fit tight.

The new pair are also 9.5 but are suede and mesh toe, and the toe is perfectly wide, they fit beautifully, but the most significant difference is the upper is taller, so internal height and volume are greater.

Great info, thanks!

I'll have to blind but from places with good return policies to check out the suede mesh combo in a 9.5 as the 10s were already too big.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:29:23 PM by Xen »

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #3977 on: February 09, 2022, 08:11:36 PM »
Is there any release date for that Tiago 808?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

JK42

« Reply #3978 on: February 10, 2022, 04:17:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd imagine they'd fit pretty much like the numerics. Definitely less board feel, less cushion but a little more padded. I've only had the All Coast 574s and they almost felt like a skate shoe. I'd recommend steering clear, as I'd bet the farm you can find a shoe that'd skate better for the same price.

The listing has them as Numeric, so I assumed they'd been pimped up for skating, but maybe its an incorrect listing on the NB site. I hadn't seen any kind of PR around them, so maybe they aren't a skate release, and just incorrect branding.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #3979 on: February 10, 2022, 06:32:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The listing has them as Numeric, so I assumed they'd been pimped up for skating, but maybe its an incorrect listing on the NB site. I hadn't seen any kind of PR around them, so maybe they aren't a skate release, and just incorrect branding.

The latest Thrasher has an ad with these in them.  Haven't seen much about them yet either, but I think they look promising. 

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3980 on: February 10, 2022, 06:49:13 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but has there been any confirmation from anyone at NB# if they have intentionally tweaked the fit of the 1010, or if what's been observed is just the slight variances that you get from one batch to the next or just results from the different materials?

If they actually adjusted the fit - particularly in having the collar sit higher - that changes my outlook on the shoe. I got a pair (the black/black from the first run) and just couldn't get comfortable in them because of the fit - mainly because my heel was slipping out. If they did adjust that, I may get a newer pair and try them again.

I'm not sure but I definitely noticed slight differences between the several pairs that I have, even with same colorways/materials.

The black leather with the red & blue was one of the first models I got and then a few months later I got a second pair. The second pair had a little less padding in the tongue but more padding around the collar/heel area. The leather felt less plasticy and somehow the toecap seemed slightly pointier, although that could be more of an upper/padding difference than the actual shape of the toe.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think they slightly tweaked the shoe after the first couple batches or so were out. All the models that I got later seem to have more of a pointier toe feel and padding in the collar. The leather seems better too

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #3981 on: February 10, 2022, 07:31:37 AM »
All this talk about heel lift and still no pics of the 440 Hi hiking boot / ACG situation?!?!?

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #3982 on: February 10, 2022, 04:20:08 PM »
All this talk about heel lift and still no pics of the 440 Hi hiking boot / ACG situation?!?!?

literally came on slap today to see if there was an update on this

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3983 on: February 10, 2022, 06:58:22 PM »
I honestly don’t get the heel lift problems. I have low volume feet and have to wear womens shoes for cycling and climbing and get zero heel lift on Tiagos and I don’t ratchet them down. It honestly just doesn’t sound like it’s your shoe.

JK42

« Reply #3984 on: February 11, 2022, 05:19:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The latest Thrasher has an ad with these in them.  Haven't seen much about them yet either, but I think they look promising.

Not sure if @rothdigga can comment on the design changes for skating? I love the blue and orange colourway.

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #3985 on: February 11, 2022, 08:38:23 AM »
I’m definitely picking up a pair of the 425. Looks like a skate version of the 542(may be fucking up the number) but also reminds me of the pj shoe. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3986 on: February 11, 2022, 10:31:20 AM »
I liked my 440 a lot minus the sorta broad toebox. The 1010 are not bad at all, but a bit too much structure for me and I feel like I'm always weighting my toes too much. would a 508 be a good in between? My local doesn't carry much besides the 440 and 1010 so I am SOL.

rothdigga

• Rep: 575
« Reply #3987 on: February 11, 2022, 12:02:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not sure if @rothdigga can comment on the design changes for skating? I love the blue and orange colourway.

NM425's are built 100% for skating.  Should drop in about a month, just like everything waiting on the Port is all right now.  Anything with NM in the front is Numeric and made with the quality for skating.  In case anyone ever wonders.

rothdigga

• Rep: 575
« Reply #3988 on: February 11, 2022, 12:03:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

First batch comes out in the Fall line so like July first delivery?  Maybe Aug with port delays but hopefully sooner.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #3989 on: February 11, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

First batch comes out in the Fall line so like July first delivery?  Maybe Aug with port delays but hopefully sooner.

@rothdigga any info when that new tiago 808 releases?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.