Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 787267 times)

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #5370 on: April 11, 2023, 08:08:00 AM »
Expand Quote
How do the 440s compare to Crocketts? Anyone skate both? Love the Crocketts but wish they had a bit more support.
[close]
The 440 high best skate high top
all you need to know

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #5371 on: April 11, 2023, 10:40:08 AM »
Expand Quote
How do the 440s compare to Crocketts? Anyone skate both? Love the Crocketts but wish they had a bit more support.
[close]

I've skated both (Crocketts highs and lows) and prefer the 440s (both highs and lows). The Crocketts are just too stiff, especially on top of the big ol pop cush insoles.  The 440s are more comfortable and break-in in no time at all.  The collar of the 440 highs are supportive and you can adjust the level of support based on which eyelet you lace up to.  The 440 high has beaten out the Blazer, Crockett, and Tyshawn mid for best skate high top for me.

Just wondering… you ever try the Omen Hi?  That one always fits me so well… the Tyshawns border on too narrow for me, so looking at the 440 it seems like that they might be too?

Number

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5372 on: April 11, 2023, 05:00:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Picked up some Brown 425s from Orchards sale. Never tried NB Cupsoles before always been a GT Blazer kinda guy. Hopefully these arent too bulky feeling. Either way they’ll be some good looking chillers
[close]

i'd be very surprised to hear anyone describe the 425s as bulky. it could happen but i'm having a hard time imagining it so let us know

Diggin the feel of these. Not Bulky at all, pretty comfy out the box. Might have to cop another color way to skate in.

IpathCats

« Reply #5373 on: April 12, 2023, 07:10:59 AM »

Crocketts have better impact protection, less boardfeel, and are overall a softer, more flexible shoe.

440's have worse impact protection, better boardfeel, but are overall a bit stiffer than the crockett.

I prefer the 440, but i would highly suggest replacing the insoles with some of the thin FP elites

IpathCats

« Reply #5374 on: April 12, 2023, 07:13:24 AM »
Can anyone who has tried the 1010 and the 808 compare the fit in the toebox for me?

Been curious to try the 808, but i had to sell all my 1010's becuase i couldnt stand the toebox anymore.

the width and length were fine, but i felt like they were too short height wise. kinda squishing the tops of my toes.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #5375 on: April 12, 2023, 08:13:12 AM »
Can anyone who has tried the 1010 and the 808 compare the fit in the toebox for me?

Been curious to try the 808, but i had to sell all my 1010's becuase i couldnt stand the toebox anymore.

the width and length were fine, but i felt like they were too short height wise. kinda squishing the tops of my toes.
If you go with the same size as the 1010, they have less width, length and height. I can’t imagine you liking the 808 if you had problems with the height of the 1010s’ toebox, unless you size up .5 or 1. Then, you’ll probably have problems with heel slip unless you swap out the laces and use the top eyelets.

IpathCats

« Reply #5376 on: April 12, 2023, 09:08:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If you go with the same size as the 1010, they have less width, length and height. I can’t imagine you liking the 808 if you had problems with the height of the 1010s’ toebox, unless you size up .5 or 1. Then, you’ll probably have problems with heel slip unless you swap out the laces and use the top eyelets.

Thanks, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Especially the additional mention of heel slip, because the wonderful heel lock of the 1010 is what was making me curious of the 808. I won't be wasting my money on the 808s now unless I try them on in person first and have a different experience.

Gnar'd

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5377 on: April 12, 2023, 08:07:47 PM »
Do the 440s skate similar to Vans Sk8his or oldskools?

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 643
« Reply #5378 on: April 12, 2023, 08:11:38 PM »
I’ve skated both and loved them both. If you want more support, try the 440 highs and switch out the insoles. I just stuck old Popcush ones from my Crocketts in my 440s and they were definitely more supportive overall than the Crocketts. I will say that I like the overall shape and the look of the Crocketts more though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5379 on: April 12, 2023, 09:03:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crocketts have better impact protection, less boardfeel, and are overall a softer, more flexible shoe.

440's have worse impact protection, better boardfeel, but are overall a bit stiffer than the crockett.

I prefer the 440, but i would highly suggest replacing the insoles with some of the thin FP elites

I got heel bruises in the Crocketts despite them being cups where I've never gotten one in 440s. To me the Crocketts felt flimsier since the upper is thinner and I got hot pockets in them in the Summer. Had 2 pairs delaminate where the foxing meets the sole. Just not as durable or as long lasting of a shoe.

Totally agree on swapping insoles out but personally dislike FP. I've recommended Superfeet Run Comfort or Adapt Run and many friends have found them to be great. NB actually sells branded versions of each.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #5380 on: April 13, 2023, 07:15:23 AM »
Do the 440s skate similar to Vans Sk8his or oldskools?

440’s are cupsoles, and the Sk8 Hi’s and Old Skools are vulcanized. They shouldn’t skate similar at all.

Trout

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5381 on: April 13, 2023, 05:43:41 PM »
Long time listener first time caller. Just picked up a pair of 1010s today in a size 9.

I daily a pair of 990v3s in an 8 and they are basically the only shoes I will purchase / wear. The 8 and 8.5 1010s were both insanely tight. Breaking in the 1010s now and have some arch pain but I have a flat foot so probably just adjusting.

Love everything else about the shoe so far but wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience as me with sizing up. Am I gonna be cooked once they stretch / pack out?

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5382 on: April 13, 2023, 06:38:24 PM »
The 440 highs are great, but if it hasn't been said before, those soles are absolute hot garbage. Barely lasted a few weeks.

WideFeet

« Reply #5383 on: April 13, 2023, 06:39:25 PM »
Long time listener first time caller. Just picked up a pair of 1010s today in a size 9.

I daily a pair of 990v3s in an 8 and they are basically the only shoes I will purchase / wear. The 8 and 8.5 1010s were both insanely tight. Breaking in the 1010s now and have some arch pain but I have a flat foot so probably just adjusting.

Love everything else about the shoe so far but wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience as me with sizing up. Am I gonna be cooked once they stretch / pack out?

Depends on how much room you have in the toe. I never skate shoes that have more than about 3/4” inch of space in the toes. I find the extra space just grabs the board and my flick is off.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #5384 on: April 13, 2023, 07:12:53 PM »
The 440 highs are great, but if it hasn't been said before, those soles are absolute hot garbage. Barely lasted a few weeks.

me and my coworker call them the "2 week shoe"

Trout

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5385 on: April 13, 2023, 07:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Depends on how much room you have in the toe. I never skate shoes that have more than about 3/4” inch of space in the toes. I find the extra space just grabs the board and my flick is off.

The toe feels snug, it just seems wrong to size up a full size from another shoe made by the same company

WideFeet

« Reply #5386 on: April 13, 2023, 07:48:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The toe feels snug, it just seems wrong to size up a full size from another shoe made by the same company

Yeah, that is weird. As long as it’s not too long in the toe, you should be good.

In my experience with NB#, their sizing is all over the place. For me, 1010’s fit true to size. I have to size down in 440’s, 272’s, and 22’s. In the 808’s, I have to size up. I can’t be the only one who has had this experience

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #5387 on: April 13, 2023, 08:11:55 PM »
If anyone catches this in time, on Spankys insta story is that Reynolds pro model that hes wearing? I couldnt get a pic to upload, sorry guys! The back looks like the Reynolds 1.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #5388 on: April 13, 2023, 08:20:25 PM »
If anyone catches this in time, on Spankys insta story is that Reynolds pro model that hes wearing? I couldnt get a pic to upload, sorry guys! The back looks like the Reynolds 1.

TreyPhillip

« Reply #5389 on: April 13, 2023, 08:21:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Tom Knox shoe

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #5390 on: April 14, 2023, 12:10:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Tom Knox shoe

[close]

🔥🔥🔥

These could be good candidates for destitching the N logo on the side.  White edging makes it pop a little much.  Love the simplicity of a black and gum Emerica style shoe

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #5391 on: April 14, 2023, 01:58:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks like a reworked 288 with a 1010/808 style toe cap/vamp. 

eSK3

« Reply #5392 on: April 14, 2023, 03:43:40 AM »
Y’all need to CHILL.
The Reynolds shoe is a long ways away.
Sneaker development is a 1-2 year process.
That’s the Knox shoe.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #5393 on: April 14, 2023, 08:03:14 AM »
Knox pro shoe looking pretty sick

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #5394 on: April 14, 2023, 08:44:21 AM »
Knox pro shoe looking pretty sick

has there been any lead as to where this is going to sit in their number system?

wax poetic

• Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #5395 on: April 14, 2023, 08:51:06 AM »
Y’all need to CHILL.
That’s the Knox shoe.

Not necessarily if it isn't a new model and it's only a past one repurposed for him.

eSK3

« Reply #5396 on: April 14, 2023, 09:38:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Y’all need to CHILL.
That’s the Knox shoe.
[close]

Not necessarily if it isn't a new model and it's only a past one repurposed for him.

He’ll likely get a colorway before a full blown pro shoe.

wax poetic

• Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #5397 on: April 14, 2023, 09:50:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Y’all need to CHILL.
That’s the Knox shoe.
[close]

[close]

He’ll likely get a colorway before a full blown pro shoe.

If that is the case, then I'd imagine they'd release as quick as possible to get as many sales while it's still news

@rothdigga any word on this  8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 10:12:58 AM by wax poetic »

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5398 on: April 14, 2023, 11:04:48 AM »
At this point just write "Reynolds" on your current pair of NBs :v

MetalAnkleMan

« Reply #5399 on: April 14, 2023, 11:51:43 AM »
Seriously we need a NB Reynolds model. I feel good one is on the way from the little hints ive seen on Reynolds insta saying "its coming". All im saying is when Vans didnt give him one I decided to never wear a pair of Vans again lol