Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 787360 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 286
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6390 on: August 21, 2023, 04:15:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Have worn the 440 lows for a few days and had my first skate in them.  I have pretty flat fleet, have always worn vulcs, mostly vans and can feel it's gonna be a bit of a curve to get used to these.  They're perfect in length, and feel snug on the sides, but kinda lifty in the heel and maybe a bit too baggy in the toebox.  The outside of my foot really hurt by the end of the session and the arch is a bit high.  Should have gone with the Knox Highs as I swear they felt flatter & snugger.  Also, the sole felt thinner & flexier, could that be right?
[close]

Whenever I geht a new pair of 440s, it takes a few sessions to break them in (walking doesn't really help as much as skating in them). To me, the insole initially feels a bit funny but it goes away after a few hours and then they're perfect for me. Hope they work out for you!
[close]

Yeah, i'm hoping it's just wearing in and getting used to them.  Love the more solid feel of them though.  Hope they don't slop out.

I don't know man, my first pair of 440s was instantly skateable, pretty much perfect from the start. And they never slopped out.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6391 on: August 21, 2023, 04:21:00 AM »
The 480 aren’t stiff to me. The upper and soles are soft. I especially like the soles cause they feel cushioned unlike the 808’s that are rock hard, or the 440s that offer no support.

I wonder if it has something to do with weight. I’m 247 lbs, and the 440s while comfortable, feel like I’m barefoot. The 480s have a little “bounce” to them.

OhioGuy

« Reply #6392 on: August 21, 2023, 04:24:04 AM »
For the Euro homies, went to TXsports on the weekend and they had the Reynolds 480's on the shoe wall already.

Now I google it and found 2 websites you can order them:
https://www.tx-sports.com/Schuhe/Sneaker-Low/Schuh-New-Balance-480-dark-brown/
https://www.247store.nl/nl/nm480bos-numeric-brown-black.html?id=287950747
Guess that confirms these will be the next to drop. Hopefully by September in the states 🤞🏾

rikki

« Reply #6393 on: August 21, 2023, 04:49:23 AM »
The 480 aren’t stiff to me. The upper and soles are soft. I especially like the soles cause they feel cushioned unlike the 808’s that are rock hard, or the 440s that offer no support.

I wonder if it has something to do with weight. I’m 247 lbs, and the 440s while comfortable, feel like I’m barefoot. The 480s have a little “bounce” to them.

Sounds a bit like the 508s as compared to the 440s. Boardfeel on the 440s is wonderful, but yeah, I totally get if they can feel a bit thin. I'm light (145 lbs), so that might help for me.

The 508 is also a bit bouncier -- more impact protection at the cost of a tiny bit of boardfeel. Love both models, though, will probably be skating them (and possibly the 480 which I have yet to try) for the foreseeable future.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6394 on: August 21, 2023, 07:51:05 AM »

Probably, I'm 6 foot 3 and 161

OhioGuy

« Reply #6395 on: August 21, 2023, 08:02:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m the same height and 86lbs heavier 😭🫠

Just shows how many factors go into comfort. Folks really gotta try things for themselves lol

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #6396 on: August 21, 2023, 09:06:12 AM »
417s and 480s on the way to me. Wish me luck pals. Trying these both in my usual size, I always wore with Lakai's for example. The shoe shape of NB#s look way more like my actual feet shape. 10+ years of squeezed toes take a toll on your body..
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6397 on: August 21, 2023, 10:04:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I’m the same height and 86lbs heavier 😭🫠

Just shows how many factors go into comfort. Folks really gotta try things for themselves lol

Definitely! Do not mistake my critical remarks as the 480 being bad. It's actually really good for what it is and might not match my own personal preferences yet. If they break in a bit then they will be just fine and they're still better than plenty of other shoes I have skated including my last pair of SB Dunks.

I would choose the 480 every time over the Tyshawns or Dunks. Similar-ish amount of foam/sole stiffness but way less bulky, better grip, more stable, and super comfortable overall.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6398 on: August 21, 2023, 02:44:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Posted these in the depop thread but figured I'd share in here. Some NB#s for sale all Size 10. I only sell on Mercari since it's easier and covers all shipping expenses.

NB# 440 His
https://merc.li/ePDqfCe9b?sv=0

NB# 420 *size 9.5 but fit like a 10*
https://merc.li/eErsGkkab?sv=0

NB# 508
https://merc.li/pab5QDzMb?sv=0

2 different pairs of NB# 868s
https://merc.li/2HjWjWJHb?sv=0
https://merc.li/4HzpHn8Mb?sv=0

NB# 1010
https://merc.li/kNuGdQt8b?sv=0

Lightly used and worn pair of NB# 868
https://merc.li/AZD5VZVwb?sv=0
[close]

I have had those Westgates in my cart for a while haha
[close]

Lol shoot me an offer. I'm trying to clear my closet out.

Might have to be sneaky grab those 508’s before Lebowski does…

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #6399 on: August 21, 2023, 03:48:04 PM »
@DarkPools I’d love to get your review of this new 480 if you go in that direction

I will see if/when I can get my hands on a colorway I like to test them out snd report back!
They're much closer to what I like to skate then the 440 or the 1010/808s are. I have high hopes this NB# model will actually be one I enjoy
Super Champion Fun Zone

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6400 on: August 21, 2023, 05:27:59 PM »
Expand Quote
@DarkPools I’d love to get your review of this new 480 if you go in that direction
[close]

I will see if/when I can get my hands on a colorway I like to test them out snd report back!
They're much closer to what I like to skate then the 440 or the 1010/808s are. I have high hopes this NB# model will actually be one I enjoy

What do you normally like?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6401 on: August 21, 2023, 05:37:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Posted these in the depop thread but figured I'd share in here. Some NB#s for sale all Size 10. I only sell on Mercari since it's easier and covers all shipping expenses.

NB# 440 His
https://merc.li/ePDqfCe9b?sv=0

NB# 420 *size 9.5 but fit like a 10*
https://merc.li/eErsGkkab?sv=0

NB# 508
https://merc.li/pab5QDzMb?sv=0

2 different pairs of NB# 868s
https://merc.li/2HjWjWJHb?sv=0
https://merc.li/4HzpHn8Mb?sv=0

NB# 1010
https://merc.li/kNuGdQt8b?sv=0

Lightly used and worn pair of NB# 868
https://merc.li/AZD5VZVwb?sv=0
[close]

I have had those Westgates in my cart for a while haha
[close]

Lol shoot me an offer. I'm trying to clear my closet out.
[close]

Might have to be sneaky grab those 508’s before Lebowski does…

Damn, I was going to offer him the list price.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #6402 on: August 21, 2023, 05:49:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What do you normally like?

I rotate between these mostly when I'm not trying something different in between.

Marana, Joslin, KSL G6, SB Dunks, Blazer Mid, Joslin 2, Silo SC, Quattro, and Reynolds G6 (still have a few pairs)
Super Champion Fun Zone

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6403 on: August 21, 2023, 06:48:12 PM »

Flex testing the 480 and 1010 side by side. I have no incentive to misrepresent either shoe so assume that I'm doing the same flexing and squeezing.

Lame nerdy disclaimer: for reference I have abnormally strong hands and fingers. That's why I climb rocks and shit. So, they're a decent proxy since I don't have any sort of device that can do this kinda thing.

I can't measure the thickness, but if you remove both insoles and squeeze 2 fingers together you can get an idea. If you do this at a shop that has an 808 it feels closer to an 808.

Practical disclaimer: Only offering this up because people have been posting varying experiences. The shoe was a shit ton stiffer and moderately thicker than I expected and not a type of shoe I typically enjoy skating, although I'm giving them more sessions to see if they break in. This is 5 sessions in on the 480, 1 sesh on the 1010

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #6404 on: August 22, 2023, 06:05:30 AM »

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6405 on: August 22, 2023, 06:35:53 AM »

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6406 on: August 22, 2023, 07:12:51 AM »
Has anyone skated the 272 and the 574 vulc?  I know the sole and shape is the same, but wondering if the upper of the 574 makes the toebox feel wider? 

rikki

« Reply #6407 on: August 22, 2023, 08:55:59 AM »
Opinions on the 306 slip-on? Never tried a slip-on before, but as NB# has been great to me, could as well try them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6408 on: August 22, 2023, 09:43:33 AM »
Has anyone skated the 272 and the 574 vulc?  I know the sole and shape is the same, but wondering if the upper of the 574 makes the toebox feel wider?

They fit identical, the paneling does not change anything. The toebox is so wide for me its the only NB I go a 1/2 size down in.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6409 on: August 22, 2023, 10:14:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They fit identical, the paneling does not change anything. The toebox is so wide for me its the only NB I go a 1/2 size down in.

Great, thank you!

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #6410 on: August 22, 2023, 10:32:46 AM »
Tried on the 480

Preference: Lover of the 1010 (on my 9th pair) i wear a size 9.5 in these, fit is snug, usually use a shoe stretcher since I have wide feet, mesh toe fits better than leather/suede toe

480: Tried on 9.5. They seem to fit larger (length wise) than my 1010's in 9.5. Was afraid the toe box was going to be too narrow but they fit better toe box wise than 1010. I would still need to use my shoe stretcher to have a perfect fit (width toe box wise) Going down a half size could be a possibility for some

I also noticed on one of the shoes, the lace job was lopped under the tongue on the last two holes for whatever reason, I see some of you guys talking about the toebox to tongue area is pinching your foot, maybe check and see if your shoes was laced like that? 

Also the 480 passes the ankle roll test (wide enough sole that makes it harder for your ankle to tip over)

All in All I will continue to skate the 1010 but will absolutely be buying some 480s for everyday/chiller shoes

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6411 on: August 22, 2023, 01:39:07 PM »
I rolled the fuck outta my bad ankle in the 480 today and think I am done on em. Just tipped over the side.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6412 on: August 22, 2023, 01:49:47 PM »
Also the 480 passes the ankle roll test (wide enough sole that makes it harder for your ankle to tip over)
I rolled the fuck outta my bad ankle in the 480 today and think I am done on em. Just tipped over the side.

:o :o  back to back posts!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6413 on: August 22, 2023, 02:03:38 PM »
Yah I am getting kooked for sharing my experience with the 480, which is not the final word on the shoe, but a lot of people are rightfully stoked on the aesthetics when they have not skated or barely skated the shoe.

The last ankle roll this bad I got in a cup was in a Tyshawn, which I abandoned immediately after. The rear of the shoe is taller than a 1010 and hugs the heel less so you just spill over the side. I did a nollie 180 and came down too much on my sliding foot, stepped off the nose and rolled it.

OhioGuy

« Reply #6414 on: August 22, 2023, 02:22:27 PM »
Yah I am getting kooked for sharing my experience with the 480, which is not the final word on the shoe, but a lot of people are rightfully stoked on the aesthetics when they have not skated or barely skated the shoe.

The last ankle roll this bad I got in a cup was in a Tyshawn, which I abandoned immediately after. The rear of the shoe is taller than a 1010 and hugs the heel less so you just spill over the side. I did a nollie 180 and came down too much on my sliding foot, stepped off the nose and rolled it.
Nah you’re not a kook. I love ‘em, but we all have different feet and needs. I thought I enjoyed the Tyshawn’s until I tried NB. The fit on those Adidas are awful, way to tight.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6415 on: August 22, 2023, 08:22:59 PM »
Do the  franky 417s have more support and cushion than the foy 306l ?

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #6416 on: August 22, 2023, 08:55:51 PM »

417 and 306 have the same support. Nothing different, honestly.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #6417 on: August 24, 2023, 10:40:03 AM »

you realize you've selected a mid-top shoe (structured / built up) to compare against a slip-on shoe (next to no structure)

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6418 on: August 24, 2023, 10:53:45 AM »
Opinions on the 306 slip-on? Never tried a slip-on before, but as NB# has been great to me, could as well try them.

I haven’t skated them but I own some. The slips feel like they have less padding and less cushioning than the regular 306 to me. I think they’d be better than skating vans slip ons though most likely.

Not sure what your experience has been with nb# as a whole, but I think they are the least cushioned nbs I’ve owned, and I’ve owned a lot.

If you like skating slips, try to find a pair on sale and give them a go.

Where are you located and what’s your shoe size? I got some size 12s that are basically brand new.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 11:01:36 AM by flintstagram »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6419 on: August 24, 2023, 12:02:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you realize you've selected a mid-top shoe (structured / built up) to compare against a slip-on shoe (next to no structure)

I’m more concerned about the sole. I’m aware the slip on is more bare than a mid top with toe panels etc.

You realize my question had nothing to do with structure. I asked about support and cushion. No the structure of the upper.