Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 787259 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #7170 on: October 06, 2023, 07:09:00 AM »
Just got my 480Bos and I'm so happy I went TTS
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

wax poetic

• Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #7171 on: October 06, 2023, 07:22:02 AM »
Just got my 480Bos and I'm so happy I went TTS

As was I.  TTS in the 480's for sure.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7172 on: October 06, 2023, 07:52:34 AM »
We’re a week into October. Anyone got a release date for the Black/White 480s?

I actually see them posted on one site as available, but don’t trust it lol.

wax poetic

« Reply #7173 on: October 06, 2023, 08:05:13 AM »
I haven't seen or heard anyone having the white ones out yet but anyone still looking for the Boss 480, looks like this shop still has quite a few

https://www.furnaceskate.com/collections/shoes/products/andrew-reynolds-480

OhioGuy

« Reply #7174 on: October 06, 2023, 08:07:45 AM »
I haven't seen or heard anyone having the white ones out yet but anyone still looking for the Boss 480, looks like this shop still has quite a few

https://www.furnaceskate.com/collections/shoes/products/andrew-reynolds-480
For short kings only. 8 and 8/5 😭

wax poetic

« Reply #7175 on: October 06, 2023, 08:18:29 AM »
hahaha oh shit.  I didn't realize I had to click on the sizes to see if they had them.  I thought they'd remove them if they didn't have them in stock.  My bad guys.  But I have found other sizes too so if anyone's looking for a size let me know.

OhioGuy

« Reply #7176 on: October 06, 2023, 08:27:21 AM »
hahaha oh shit.  I didn't realize I had to click on the sizes to see if they had them.  I thought they'd remove them if they didn't have them in stock.  My bad guys.  But I have found other sizes too so if anyone's looking for a size let me know.
I’m always looking for sites that carry 14. So far I’ve only found one shop.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #7177 on: October 06, 2023, 08:27:29 AM »
What is this thread's long-term consensus on the 808?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

wax poetic

« Reply #7178 on: October 06, 2023, 09:04:37 AM »

These are my thoughts.

Cons
Board feel is nil.  You may have to get used to this to relearn tricks you had on lock.  Laces are short af.  I had a little heel slip with the .5 up but thought TTS would have been too narrow for my foot to feel comfortable.  (others may disagree on this one).  Look to0 big with slimmer pants.

Pros
Your feet feel indestructible and this ups your confidence once you get used to them.  They will never lose their stiffness (this is what I had heard from reviews I watched before buying, I didn't have mine long enough to confirm personally).  While this could be seen as a negative, I see it as a positive because when you get a new pair they feel exactly the same as the worn pair.  Once you relearn foot position the stiffness makes doing tricks more consistent I feel.  Look great with baggier pants.

Overall if you don't mind the stiffness and lack of board feel and wear baggier pants it's a really great performing and looking shoe that actually made me more confident when trying some tricks.  If the stiffness is too much for you ... 1010 or 480

I only sold my pairs because I'm old and realized I mostly just cruise around these days.  I went in knowing they were stiff and board feel would be low so that didn't bother me at all, but if you aren't expecting it I could see it being an issue.

wax poetic

« Reply #7179 on: October 06, 2023, 09:05:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For the 480 specifically or any others?  I'll keep my eyes open.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7180 on: October 06, 2023, 09:05:59 AM »
I asked a friend yesterday that has tried every NB cup and here is a copy/paste of his response and ranking:

1. 1010 best blend of boardfeel, protection, durability. Thick but flexible, last long, no complaints with the shoe.
2. 508 for me I have no heel slip and they're a bit thicker than the 440 but not by much and they last me slightly longer due to the single piece toe.
3. 440 I have to put the FP insoles in but once I do it's a great shoe if I were younger it's all I would skate. Durability is probably the worst though.
4. 808 are a great shoe I'd rate them higher if the break in wasn't so bad. I'm heavier so they obviously aren't as brick-y and they cup the foot really well.
5. 480 is my least favorite of them all. Maybe it's the thicker sole and flexible upper but the shoe feels like my foot slides on top of the sole and I feel disconnected. The grip is great but I just never enjoyed skating this shoe and don't think I'd recommend or buy it again even taking the insole out/swapping. The 808 is a better overall shoe for a thicker shoe.

So take that as you will. He is a taller skater if that matters. I have only tried the 440, 1010, and 480 and rank them in that order.

OhioGuy

« Reply #7181 on: October 06, 2023, 09:08:18 AM »
I love the look of the 808s. Probably the best looking Numerics IMHO. Just too small and stiff. Would love a “redux” version with Fuel Cell, better sizing, and less material on the upper.

It’s a great silhouette. Hopefully they tweak it one day. It deserves a 2.0 version.

OhioGuy

« Reply #7182 on: October 06, 2023, 09:12:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

480s, my ADHD hyper focus has shifted to them lol. So far they’ve been the only shoe I can wear for an hour and half session without getting sore feet. I don’t know why, but they just work for me 🤷🏿‍♂️

wax poetic

« Reply #7183 on: October 06, 2023, 09:18:19 AM »
I asked a friend yesterday that has tried every NB cup and here is a copy/paste of his response and ranking:

1. 1010 best blend of boardfeel, protection, durability. Thick but flexible, last long, no complaints with the shoe.
2. 508 for me I have no heel slip and they're a bit thicker than the 440 but not by much and they last me slightly longer due to the single piece toe.
3. 440 I have to put the FP insoles in but once I do it's a great shoe if I were younger it's all I would skate. Durability is probably the worst though.
4. 808 are a great shoe I'd rate them higher if the break in wasn't so bad. I'm heavier so they obviously aren't as brick-y and they cup the foot really well.
5. 480 is my least favorite of them all. Maybe it's the thicker sole and flexible upper but the shoe feels like my foot slides on top of the sole and I feel disconnected. The grip is great but I just never enjoyed skating this shoe and don't think I'd recommend or buy it again even taking the insole out/swapping. The 808 is a better overall shoe for a thicker shoe.

So take that as you will. He is a taller skater if that matters. I have only tried the 440, 1010, and 480 and rank them in that order.

After reading this post, I'll defer to Lebowski as he can speak to more models than I can.  But my feelings on the 808 as a standalone still stay true.

Sk8 Prick

• Rep: -8
« Reply #7184 on: October 06, 2023, 09:22:00 AM »
I enter this thread everyday hoping to see decent photos of the Tom Knox shoe or some early pics of the Reynolds shoe and everyday I am disappointed.

OhioGuy

« Reply #7185 on: October 06, 2023, 10:05:03 AM »
I enter this thread everyday hoping to see decent photos of the Tom Knox shoe or some early pics of the Reynolds shoe and everyday I am disappointed.
Shit quality, but the 600 is all over Google.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7186 on: October 06, 2023, 10:17:26 AM »
+.5 unless you like really tight shoes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 12:47:37 PM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #7187 on: October 06, 2023, 10:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Shit quality, but the 600 is all over Google.

Your google is better than mine bc I only get images of his 440 or non-# 600 series sneakers. 

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #7188 on: October 06, 2023, 10:59:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
+.5 unless you like really right shoes.

At LEAST 0.5 up. You could even go 1.0 full size up and would still be content, I'd imagine. I'm an 11 and bought an 11.5. Toes crammed to the end and immediately returned those. I want to try a 12 in store soon to see if it's any better. 

Not sure why the last/sole on the 808 was designed so small/short compared to the 1010!  ???

Personally speaking, nearly all NM# run models run 0.5 small, even the latest releases that I've tried on or bought needed 0.5 up. Not sure how other NM# models stack up for ya size wise but general consensus is go 0.5 up at least
Super Champion Fun Zone

Troubadour26

• Rep: 78
« Reply #7189 on: October 06, 2023, 11:04:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

My shop still has an 8 & a 9 if anyone is looking

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #7190 on: October 06, 2023, 12:18:54 PM »
Any word on when those Black/Grey 480s drop? Cuz whenever they do I'm copping 2 purrs word to Nelly

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7191 on: October 06, 2023, 03:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

My shop still has an 8 & a 9 if anyone is looking
I'd be curious to find a Reynolds 480 in 10 for winter chilling. Won't be skating em

wax poetic

« Reply #7192 on: October 06, 2023, 04:04:14 PM »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7193 on: October 06, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
I'm stoked on the 808.
 It fits medium good. I definitely should have gotten a 9 but I'm not dying like a Vans. A vans skate line is half a size smaller than this shoe for sure.

I am a size 9 in vans

An 8.5 in Nike and converse

Looks like I'm a 9 in NB

It's so hard to know what is my actual size and who's fuckin of.

If this is a half size down then vans is off by a full size.

Nothing I've ever owned has had a sole like this shoe. I been looking for this my entire life.

It's like a Businitz in hardness and thickness but it takes up way more real estate on the board so your probably not going to roll your shit and be fucked up like me and that other guy my I met at Lynch who also is permanently damaged from that shit shoe.

I wish I took a chance and bought all 3 colours they had left.

That shit would last me a year. I didn't even super glue my stitches because this shoe is not coming apart soon.

I bet I can get 3 months easy out of this shoe.

Are there other NB shoes with a thick sole like this?

Fast breaks still my favorite shoe tho cuz I can skate them with out the laces tied.

I love skating with a floppy cupsole high top. It's the best feeling ever
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

wax poetic

« Reply #7194 on: October 06, 2023, 05:12:07 PM »
@Uncle Flea good news is there are a lot of 808's in 9 on discount right now.  Been seeing them all over when I've been looking for shoes for people

Oh and I do not believe there is another sole like that haha

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7195 on: October 06, 2023, 05:23:04 PM »
Good thing they're gone that was a stupid idea.

OhioGuy

« Reply #7196 on: October 06, 2023, 06:41:25 PM »
I'm stoked on the 808.
 It fits medium good. I definitely should have gotten a 9 but I'm not dying like a Vans. A vans skate line is half a size smaller than this shoe for sure.

I am a size 9 in vans

An 8.5 in Nike and converse

Looks like I'm a 9 in NB

It's so hard to know what is my actual size and who's fuckin of.

If this is a half size down then vans is off by a full size.

Nothing I've ever owned has had a sole like this shoe. I been looking for this my entire life.

It's like a Businitz in hardness and thickness but it takes up way more real estate on the board so your probably not going to roll your shit and be fucked up like me and that other guy my I met at Lynch who also is permanently damaged from that shit shoe.

I wish I took a chance and bought all 3 colours they had left.

That shit would last me a year. I didn't even super glue my stitches because this shoe is not coming apart soon.

I bet I can get 3 months easy out of this shoe.

Are there other NB shoes with a thick sole like this?

Fast breaks still my favorite shoe tho cuz I can skate them with out the laces tied.

I love skating with a floppy cupsole high top. It's the best feeling ever
Glad you like ‘em. They’re tanks. Mine still are sturdy after four months.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7197 on: October 06, 2023, 07:06:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
+.5 unless you like really tight shoes.

I’ve gone tts on every numeric I’ve bought. I get why everyone says +.5 on the 808. It is a snug fit, but works alright. I found the 508 a little narrow.

Only numeric that tts screwed me on was the 420. It was too long.

I personally enjoyed the 1010, 288, 440, and 480s for cupsoles. 440s took me a long time to like though. I had to put fp insoles in the 440s. I haven’t skated the 480, but it’s comfy and I’m skating it as soon as my 1010s are done. Just from wearing them around, and standing on a board, I expect to love them. Could be my favorite numeric until the Reynolds comes out. I loved his g6 cupsole emerica, so I expect to love it when it comes out.

I will likely skate the 808s after the 480s. Standing on a board with a pair I’ve worn for awhile now has me thinking I may not hate the 808. We shall see.

As for vulcs, I like the 306 as it comes, which is weird to me since I’m primarily a cupsole guy at 39 years old. They feel like vulcs though, so don’t think they aren’t fairly thin. It was a huge adjustment going back to 1010s after skating 306s for months.

wax poetic

« Reply #7198 on: October 06, 2023, 08:47:20 PM »
Good thing they're gone that was a stupid idea.

Are you sure?  I just tried and it lets me put a 10 in the cart.  I didn't complete checkout though.

Heelflop

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7199 on: October 07, 2023, 05:38:10 AM »
Has anyone skated the 425's? They just dropped a white/grey colorway that caught my eye. Im on my 4th pair of 1010's and wanted to try some other cupsoles with less tech.