Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 787464 times)

flocke, 360halfcab and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #7950 on: December 05, 2023, 08:12:47 AM »
Part of me wants those 480 highs (the 480, and really the 440 fit my feet the best), but the reasonable side of me realizes that much and that thick of fabric around the ankle doesn’t work the best for me.

Ahhh I love them so much though! Reminds me of the high tops people were skating in the 80’s.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #7951 on: December 05, 2023, 09:18:24 AM »
Part of me wants those 480 highs (the 480, and really the 440 fit my feet the best), but the reasonable side of me realizes that much and that thick of fabric around the ankle doesn’t work the best for me.

Ahhh I love them so much though! Reminds me of the high tops people were skating in the 80’s.

Weren’t the high tops skated in the 80s the Jordan’s?

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7952 on: December 05, 2023, 10:07:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I believe so, it was before my time so I’m not entirely certain. I’m pretty sure Nike was what was primarily being worn.

Before I ever truly skated I stole a book “Action Skateboarding” from the middle school library. It was supremely corny, very 80’s/early 90’s, but the shoes and wheel graphics captivated me.

Anyways, that’s what the 480 highs instantly make me think of in the best possible way.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #7953 on: December 05, 2023, 10:48:43 AM »

For anyone interested, this is how the 600 is wearing for me.
I’d say these are just a few days shy of a month skating 2-3 sessions per week 2-3 hours per session.
I do a lot of kickflips and these are holding up great. No rips or tears on any of the mesh parts. Grip is still great. Probably one of my favorite shoes in recent years.
I typically try not to promote or publicly endorse shoes from brands the shop doesn’t/ can’t carry, because honestly it doesn’t do me any favors, but damnit these are so damn good!
Are there any plans in the near future to get NB at your shop? I'd order from y'all.....

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 829
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #7954 on: December 05, 2023, 12:03:03 PM »
Expand Quote

I’d say these are just a few days shy of a month skating 2-3 sessions per week 2-3 hours per session.
I do a lot of kickflips and these are holding up great. No rips or tears on any of the mesh parts. Grip is still great. Probably one of my favorite shoes in recent years.
I typically try not to promote or publicly endorse shoes from brands the shop doesn’t/ can’t carry, because honestly it doesn’t do me any favors, but damnit these are so damn good!
[close]
Are there any plans in the near future to get NB at your shop? I'd order from y'all.....
I’d love to carry NB# and have been trying to navigate all the red tape to make that happen. I’ve definitely been putting my money where my mouth is by buying more than a few pairs, skating them, wearing them at events and filming in them. If it were up to me I’d already have them… the majority of brands that I can currently carry are the ones that seemingly aren’t doing well on their own. Hopefully in the future something will happen and I’ll have a shoe that can compete with Dunks.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #7955 on: December 05, 2023, 02:18:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jordan 1s, Pony, Converse, and NB high tops were all skated in the 80s. Pony were the oddest IMO but Neil Blender would skate them.
How much for an order of ribs?

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #7956 on: December 05, 2023, 03:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I’d love to carry NB# and have been trying to navigate all the red tape to make that happen. I’ve definitely been putting my money where my mouth is by buying more than a few pairs, skating them, wearing them at events and filming in them. If it were up to me I’d already have them… the majority of brands that I can currently carry are the ones that seemingly aren’t doing well on their own. Hopefully in the future something will happen and I’ll have a shoe that can compete with Dunks.
I figured this was the case, but I was just curious and wanted to ask you directly. There's two other smaller shops local to me that don't carry NB, or a lot of other bigger brands even, and I wonder if they're in this same boat. I have no idea how this stuff works but maybe some of our friends over at NB who post on here can help you expedite things?? 

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 829
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #7957 on: December 05, 2023, 05:35:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
I figured this was the case, but I was just curious and wanted to ask you directly. There's two other smaller shops local to me that don't carry NB, or a lot of other bigger brands even, and I wonder if they're in this same boat. I have no idea how this stuff works but maybe some of our friends over at NB who post on here can help you expedite things??
Possibly… a lot of the bigger brands want to see you carry an array of other brands as well as be in business for a few years before they will even entertain the idea of you carrying their product, others want the vibe of your shop to match theirs, Quite few of them are on “account freezes” right now. However, all of that can be bypassed in some cases if you “know a guy”. That’s just a rough synapses from what I’ve gathered over the past year.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 109
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7958 on: December 05, 2023, 05:42:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
Possibly… a lot of the bigger brands want to see you carry an array of other brands as well as be in business for a few years before they will even entertain the idea of you carrying their product, others want the vibe of your shop to match theirs, Quite few of them are on “account freezes” right now. However, all of that can be bypassed in some cases if you “know a guy”. That’s just a rough synapses from what I’ve gathered over the past year.

Fingers crossed it happens sooner than later for you and Cassette. I’d buy from you, too.

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7959 on: December 05, 2023, 07:20:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Jordan 1s, Pony, Converse, and NB high tops were all skated in the 80s. Pony were the oddest IMO but Neil Blender would skate them.

Great post! Yeah, I thought I remembered something like the Converse Weapon being in the mix.

Also, the obligatory “fuck I love Neil Blender”!
Do you get deja vu, huh?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #7960 on: December 05, 2023, 07:39:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Great post! Yeah, I thought I remembered something like the Converse Weapon being in the mix.

Also, the obligatory “fuck I love Neil Blender”!
The only thing I have to add now that the Weapon came up is Ellesse was pretty poppin for a while and then also you would see the occasional British Knights. For my point of view, Jordan's didn't get skated much as they were expensive and you knew what would happen to them pretty quickly. A brand name high top leather basketball shoe from a discount place was usually the move. The only Jordan's I personally skated were 1s that I got for cheap when the 3 was dominating.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

dunc

• Rep: 52
« Reply #7961 on: December 05, 2023, 07:48:30 PM »
I know Hensley and Ron Allen rocked heaps of converse boots back in the h street days. Gee it would be rad if new balance gave a 480 high colour to Hensley and they re made some of the flat ground runs.

http://youtu.be/2iYcZrC6UEk?si=YFa7qkO2Z0by3JYE

Gosh this gives me the feelings! Sorry not sure why vid won't link. Haven't done it in a while. Used to just take out s ??
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 08:16:17 PM by dunc »
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7962 on: December 05, 2023, 08:16:12 PM »
This thread is satisfying my inner shoe nerd immensely now.

We got some deep deep mentions now with the Ellesse! This is why I love Slap.

Funny thing growing up in New England is I don’t really have any memory of New Balance pre 2000’s. I think I kind of thought they were coming up then, and were dad shoes.

Do you get deja vu, huh?

pops

• Rep: 242
« Reply #7963 on: December 05, 2023, 10:49:40 PM »

Got to try these on foot and they felt really great. Too bad Im broke atm and cant afford new shoes but will cop these when I get the chance.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7964 on: December 05, 2023, 11:10:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Got to try these on foot and they felt really great. Too bad Im broke atm and cant afford new shoes but will cop these when I get the chance.
Skated my 600 just once and then weather crapped out but that session was utterly delightful. Can't wait to get those Smurf ones.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7965 on: December 06, 2023, 12:36:28 AM »
Wish the Smurf ones came with gum soles

pops

« Reply #7966 on: December 06, 2023, 01:35:33 AM »
Is it better to go .5 size up in the 440 lows? I have the highs and while they fit very snug at first they feel perfect after broken in. I've heard the lows fit snuggier. There's a nice colorway for half the price in size 9.5 and I wear 9 in my highs.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #7967 on: December 06, 2023, 02:08:54 AM »
Just wanted to give a shoutout to @rothdigga, thanks for all your input, info, communications and efforts towards customer satisfaction. Awesome street level brand management. Chapeau.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7968 on: December 06, 2023, 03:46:43 AM »
Just wanted to give a shoutout to @rothdigga, thanks for all your input, info, communications and efforts towards customer satisfaction. Awesome street level brand management. Chapeau.
I agree. Jason and Nick are straight fire
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #7969 on: December 06, 2023, 06:51:24 AM »
Is it better to go .5 size up in the 440 lows? I have the highs and while they fit very snug at first they feel perfect after broken in. I've heard the lows fit snuggier. There's a nice colorway for half the price in size 9.5 and I wear 9 in my highs.
i wear tts, though I do use a stretcher for the width a little bit. I don't think they need to be sized up.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7970 on: December 06, 2023, 07:03:59 AM »
480 high on premier store now

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7971 on: December 06, 2023, 07:46:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i wear tts, though I do use a stretcher for the width a little bit. I don't think they need to be sized up.
Same, both 440 low and high are TTS for me.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7972 on: December 06, 2023, 08:12:23 AM »
has anyone taken the “n” off 480s?
would like to see how that looks
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2250
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7973 on: December 06, 2023, 12:21:53 PM »
Sorry to distract from NB talk but you also see lots of Puma First Rounds in old footage and photos. The collar is definitely reminiscent of the 480 High.

Back in 2008 Puma made a skate "S" version. I somehow got someone to send me a pair and the sole was hard as a rock and the tongue was actually like 2 inches thick. They were so hilariously bad I couldn't even wear them.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 57
« Reply #7974 on: December 06, 2023, 12:42:31 PM »
They always have the best product photos. Looks nicer than the official ones.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 109
« Reply #7975 on: December 06, 2023, 01:18:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They always have the best product photos. Looks nicer than the official ones.

So true! Photos put me over the edge this morning and I pulled the trigger on the 480 high. I've got black laces ready to swap.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #7976 on: December 06, 2023, 03:07:13 PM »

was also thinking about this the other day. i know someone had been doing it to the non numeric ones and it looked good, but those were just the black and white ones so seems a bit easier(?)

beecee

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7977 on: December 06, 2023, 05:55:05 PM »

these are just photoshopped but ye

pops

« Reply #7978 on: December 06, 2023, 09:14:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ok, thanks. Im gonna skip those shoes then because they only have that size.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7979 on: December 07, 2023, 09:49:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

these are just photoshopped but ye
picture was taken down
any screenshot?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo