Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 787055 times)

Berky and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #8310 on: January 22, 2024, 05:35:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i really wish shoe brands did the extra laces thing...
[close]
What's interesting to me is that half of the NBs I've had came with extra laces while the other half didn't. My 1010s and Reynolds 480s both came with extra laces that were different colors. My 440 highs and 480 highs didn't. I wonder if it depends on the colorway or price point of the shoes? Either way, I don't mind it because I never rip laces and have tons of them stocked up.
[close]

I know of at least one shop that snags the extra laces and sells them separately
[close]

name and shame them. fuck that shit
[close]
^^
^^

finecojeffe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #8311 on: January 23, 2024, 05:22:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i really wish shoe brands did the extra laces thing...
[close]
What's interesting to me is that half of the NBs I've had came with extra laces while the other half didn't. My 1010s and Reynolds 480s both came with extra laces that were different colors. My 440 highs and 480 highs didn't. I wonder if it depends on the colorway or price point of the shoes? Either way, I don't mind it because I never rip laces and have tons of them stocked up.
[close]

I know of at least one shop that snags the extra laces and sells them separately
[close]

name and shame them. fuck that shit
[close]
^^
[close]
^^
^^

that's some weak stuff.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 8
  • fresh
« Reply #8312 on: January 23, 2024, 10:28:31 AM »
so i need a pair of comfy shoes. i really like a lot of the new balance shoes (2002r, 1906,990,991,993) which of these is the most comfy? i think some of you nb# lovers might have expereiance with the running shoes. what do i get out of those. i walk a whole bunch and stand all day and have leg aches because skate shoes not comfy for all day wear. help meh!
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #8313 on: January 23, 2024, 11:57:32 AM »
so i need a pair of comfy shoes. i really like a lot of the new balance shoes (2002r, 1906,990,991,993) which of these is the most comfy? i think some of you nb# lovers might have expereiance with the running shoes. what do i get out of those. i walk a whole bunch and stand all day and have leg aches because skate shoes not comfy for all day wear. help meh!

Don’t steer toward skateboarding shoes for all day comfort. Probably throw in a thicker insole for comfort.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 109
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8314 on: January 23, 2024, 12:41:55 PM »

I like the 990 series for chilling; I have the 990 v5 in a maroon right now that feel really good when I'm not skating. The others you listed are all pretty rad, too, though. I'm old and need the support for my feet/hips/back and the NB seem to work best for me.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #8315 on: January 23, 2024, 01:01:07 PM »

990v5/6 are extremely comfortable but pretty neutral. 993 has medial and lateral support for better stability. I used to work for NB and talk to boomers about their foot problems all day.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #8316 on: January 23, 2024, 01:02:33 PM »
I love my 2002r but honestly don’t think they’re very comfortable. I need to go a size up and replacement insoles next time. Even when it comes to chillers I need something firm and sturdy.

FORTHIS

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8317 on: January 23, 2024, 01:07:49 PM »

Any 990, 991, 993 is gonna be good, the other models are nice in the beginning but deteriorate in comfort pretty quick in my experience. If you wanna save some coin get Asics any of the asics gel-kayano 14 and above since the 14's are hard af to find since everyone and their mom wants those rn. Hoka get anything w the vibram outsole my personal favorite rn is the hoka mafate speed2 along w the Clifton which dont have that outsole but are comfy af. lmk if u want some other recs

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #8318 on: January 23, 2024, 01:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

990v5/6 are extremely comfortable but pretty neutral. 993 has medial and lateral support for better stability. I used to work for NB and talk to boomers about their foot problems all day.

Dude - I want some sneakers not something I need to sell  a kidney for

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #8319 on: January 23, 2024, 02:23:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You get what you pay for. Spend extra that separates you from the ground. Shoes, tires, mattresses, and etc. Also made in USA NB is very high quality. You’ll spend double the amount but they will last 5x as long.

grassblade

« Reply #8320 on: January 23, 2024, 08:03:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

try some emericas, sounds more your speed

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #8321 on: January 23, 2024, 09:40:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You get what you pay for. Spend extra that separates you from the ground. Shoes, tires, mattresses, and etc. Also made in USA NB is very high quality. You’ll spend double the amount but they will last 5x as long.

I understand that. But still don’t have the money. I was just surprised about the price

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #8322 on: January 23, 2024, 10:38:14 PM »
My USA made 990s are going strong, purchased in 2017. Still the most comfortable shoe I own

marcusbutler

« Reply #8323 on: January 23, 2024, 11:44:40 PM »
Curiosity got the best of me. Pulled the trigger on the 808's. I have been slowly transitioning to cupsoles.
   Started with the 440's. Such a good shoe. Same flick as a vulc shoe. But with a little more under the foot. And really broken in out the box. 
   Next was the 480. Was surprised that the flick was the same as the 440. A nice grippy flick you would expect from a vulc shoe. But you have a decent amount of stack underneath your foot. Only down side was the break in. Had to lace it up and tie it down. I usually like my shoes laced down and loose. Even when tied down, my heel would slip out. Had to find a thicker sock to wear with them so it would mitigate the heel slippage. Even after three weeks of skating. Still the slippage is their. I run a size 9, I think the next run on these will be to a skate shop to try them in on in half a size down.
   Now to the 808's. The first time skating the 440 and the 480. My initial thoughts of the shoe were underwhelming. But when actually skating them. I was humbly surprised. I wish I could say the same for the 808's. Just putting them on in my house and walking a few feet, I knew these were out of my realm. First 30 minutes of just skating flat ground. I was let down. This is getting long so TLDR...slippery grip. Flick not on par as the 480 or 440. Super stiff narrow feeling shoe. 

From my thought/opinions above. Would the 1010's be out of my league?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8324 on: January 23, 2024, 11:56:39 PM »
Curiosity got the best of me. Pulled the trigger on the 808's. I have been slowly transitioning to cupsoles.
   Started with the 440's. Such a good shoe. Same flick as a vulc shoe. But with a little more under the foot. And really broken in out the box. 
   Next was the 480. Was surprised that the flick was the same as the 440. A nice grippy flick you would expect from a vulc shoe. But you have a decent amount of stack underneath your foot. Only down side was the break in. Had to lace it up and tie it down. I usually like my shoes laced down and loose. Even when tied down, my heel would slip out. Had to find a thicker sock to wear with them so it would mitigate the heel slippage. Even after three weeks of skating. Still the slippage is their. I run a size 9, I think the next run on these will be to a skate shop to try them in on in half a size down.
   Now to the 808's. The first time skating the 440 and the 480. My initial thoughts of the shoe were underwhelming. But when actually skating them. I was humbly surprised. I wish I could say the same for the 808's. Just putting them on in my house and walking a few feet, I knew these were out of my realm. First 30 minutes of just skating flat ground. I was let down. This is getting long so TLDR...slippery grip. Flick not on par as the 480 or 440. Super stiff narrow feeling shoe. 

While I'm not transitioning from vulc to cupsoles, I basically agree with your takes on the 440s and 480s here (never skated 808s they run too small on me and dont make a 13.5). I get heel slip on 480s and they also take way longer to break in because midsole is thick and stiff.

I find you get a little heel slip with 1010s when theyre new but it goes away pretty quick unlike with 480s, and the midsole is also a little more pliable so it also breaks in a little bit faster imo. I think you'll like them more. But the flick is a little different to the 440/480 but not bad by any means. I think I slightly prefer 440/480 flick, but prefer everything else about the 1010.

If they somehow made a shoe that was the 1010 in the back, 480 in the front, 1010 midsole throughout. Might be my fav shoe

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8325 on: January 24, 2024, 12:26:54 AM »
1010 are more friendly than 808 if you're coming from vulcs.
Thing is if you persevere the magic realm of 808 will open and the reward is totally worth it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

marcusbutler

« Reply #8326 on: January 24, 2024, 02:01:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

While I'm not transitioning from vulc to cupsoles, I basically agree with your takes on the 440s and 480s here (never skated 808s they run too small on me and dont make a 13.5). I get heel slip on 480s and they also take way longer to break in because midsole is thick and stiff.

I find you get a little heel slip with 1010s when theyre new but it goes away pretty quick unlike with 480s, and the midsole is also a little more pliable so it also breaks in a little bit faster imo. I think you'll like them more. But the flick is a little different to the 440/480 but not bad by any means. I think I slightly prefer 440/480 flick, but prefer everything else about the 1010.

If they somehow made a shoe that was the 1010 in the back, 480 in the front, 1010 midsole throughout. Might be my fav shoe

I'll catch the 1010's on sale and give them a try. Board feel and break I can move past and deal with. The flick is the thing I care about the most. The 808 after an hour of trying flips and heels, I couldn't get it to work for me.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #8327 on: January 24, 2024, 02:20:28 AM »

Based on all this, you'll love the 600. Light, grippy, good boardfeel, break-in time very short, no heel slip, etc.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8328 on: January 24, 2024, 03:23:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Based on all this, you'll love the 600. Light, grippy, good boardfeel, break-in time very short, no heel slip, etc.
I second this
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 8
  • fresh
« Reply #8329 on: January 24, 2024, 06:58:04 AM »
will be buying 990v4 i like the dark green and white color. $120 on stockx for my size.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

marcusbutler

« Reply #8330 on: January 24, 2024, 07:22:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I second this

Might hit those first. I see them in stock everywhere.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #8331 on: January 24, 2024, 07:32:11 AM »

just tossing into the ring that 580's are considerably cheaper and are suuuuuuper comfortable. i bought a pair for a recent trip to japan for walking purposes and i'm a huge fan now. super supportive and don't look insanely dad-core. i've since snagged a couple other colorways for everyday use.

good come sausage

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8332 on: January 24, 2024, 07:56:18 AM »

574 gets my vote for most comfortable chillers, light enough and not too thin like Onizuka Tigers so your feet don't get too tired.

Reporting back on the 1010s - after 3 weeks they've fully broken in and stretched out, need to start tightening the laces for them to feel snug. I recently got a pair of 1010s in 1/2 a size smaller than my TTS (all black upper with white sole) and they feel snug from the start. I would skate them 1/2 a size down and go TTS for chillers.

Still really impressed with the suede and outsole, the flick is so precise even with a lot of space at the toes. The heel not sitting right and slipping slightly is the 1 downside of them, the other being the lack of hidden lace loops.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #8333 on: January 24, 2024, 01:37:27 PM »
will be buying 990v4 i like the dark green and white color. $120 on stockx for my size.
good choice.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #8334 on: January 24, 2024, 08:29:59 PM »
Looks like KCDC have the 440V2 in stock right now. Actually digging this a lot.
https://kcdcskateshop.com/products/new-balance-numeric-440-hln?variant=

jawn_arbuckle

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8335 on: January 24, 2024, 08:35:52 PM »
Got the 440 v2 today and it’s awesome. I loved the v1 but had to stop wearing it because the toe was too thin. The v2 is way more supportive overall and in the toe, but still feels pretty slim and fits similar the v1. Has a thicker insole than other NB# too which is nice. I think people who like the shoe because it feels like a vulc might be bummed though.

wax poetic

• Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #8336 on: January 24, 2024, 11:40:55 PM »
Not sure what these were but I know Bodega was hot with another shoe so I thought I'd snag them since they were deeply discounted.  Anyone know anything about them?  Seem like they'd make good chillers

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8337 on: January 25, 2024, 12:30:51 AM »
Got the 440 v2 today and it’s awesome. I loved the v1 but had to stop wearing it because the toe was too thin. The v2 is way more supportive overall and in the toe, but still feels pretty slim and fits similar the v1. Has a thicker insole than other NB# too which is nice. I think people who like the shoe because it feels like a vulc might be bummed though.
Really looking forward to find them here in EU.
Wonder what will be the price.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Pastasash

• Rep: 75
« Reply #8338 on: January 25, 2024, 07:01:15 AM »
Not sure what these were but I know Bodega was hot with another shoe so I thought I'd snag them since they were deeply discounted.  Anyone know anything about them?  Seem like they'd make good chillers

Just a non-hyped 574 collab with Bodega. They're better known for their collab on the 990v3 and have done a few other NB models, but this CW and the blue one did not move the needle at all and have been sitting on sale/at outlets for a while. I think it's a good shoe though and has much nicer materials and build than GR 574s, I would've bought a pair at my NB outlet but I can't do an all yellow shoe like that. Im sure they're nice and comfy though!

wax poetic

• Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #8339 on: January 25, 2024, 07:22:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just a non-hyped 574 collab with Bodega. They're better known for their collab on the 990v3 and have done a few other NB models, but this CW and the blue one did not move the needle at all and have been sitting on sale/at outlets for a while. I think it's a good shoe though and has much nicer materials and build than GR 574s, I would've bought a pair at my NB outlet but I can't do an all yellow shoe like that. Im sure they're nice and comfy though!

Thank you for informing me!  I normally also could not do an all yellow but I needed something for light workouts and running errands and they felt good when I tried them on.  I'll either rock them for those purposes or throw them on depop and see if I get any offers at or slightly above what I paid just to get my money back if I decide the yellow is too much