Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75735 times)

Obijuan91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #720 on: October 28, 2023, 06:20:41 PM »
Expand Quote
So like back on Indy mids, anyone know how long it takes for them to break in? Or are they forever going to stay super loose? Bought some Indy 94a bushings but they’re too tight and the regular mids stay too surfy. I hate having to crank down the king pin pet peeve. I usually rock standards with the nut flush.
[close]
Atleast for me, after one session they stiffen up and then i wish they would be looser again

That’s kind of what I’m scared with the 94a (aside from being scared of liking tighter trucks) that they’ll stiffen up even more

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So like back on Indy mids, anyone know how long it takes for them to break in? Or are they forever going to stay super loose? Bought some Indy 94a bushings but they’re too tight and the regular mids stay too surfy. I hate having to crank down the king pin pet peeve. I usually rock standards with the nut flush.
[close]

Put a mark on your kingpin bolt with a Sharpie and make sure they’re not self-loosening first. This is a known issue and might be why they feel like they’re not firming up/breaking in properly. I ended up using a regular baseplate/kingpin with my mids because the IKPs tend to loosen themselves.
[close]

I would keep tighten them and they would get a little tighter but still too surfy, I ended up taking the bushings off my old Indy’s and now we’re cooking thanks tho
[close]

In messing around with a lot of mids, if you can end up wtih the kingpin down at full lock in the baseplate, there is way less chance of it loosening off, as well as having the kingpin at the lowest point / giving more clearance.

Just getting whatever bushings right to fit that combination can sometimes be the hardest part, but for those trucks at full lock into the baseplate, there were fewer issues than others who definitely had some kingpin movement.

What do you mean by full lock? I usually try to get them tightened to where the bolts flush then I but the trucks back on the board and adjust as needed, haven’t had any issues yet and like I said am trying to avoid cranking them down.

Expand Quote
[close]

Blue 92s, my dude. Blue 92s.

Been thinking about those too, I’ve seen some people say that they’re pretty much the same as the standard stock bushing tho?

Seems like bushings are more of a big deal on the mids for some reason cuz I have no problem with stocks on standards

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #721 on: October 29, 2023, 01:14:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Atleast for me, after one session they stiffen up and then i wish they would be looser again
[close]

That’s kind of what I’m scared with the 94a (aside from being scared of liking tighter trucks) that they’ll stiffen up even more

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Put a mark on your kingpin bolt with a Sharpie and make sure they’re not self-loosening first. This is a known issue and might be why they feel like they’re not firming up/breaking in properly. I ended up using a regular baseplate/kingpin with my mids because the IKPs tend to loosen themselves.
[close]

I would keep tighten them and they would get a little tighter but still too surfy, I ended up taking the bushings off my old Indy’s and now we’re cooking thanks tho
[close]

In messing around with a lot of mids, if you can end up wtih the kingpin down at full lock in the baseplate, there is way less chance of it loosening off, as well as having the kingpin at the lowest point / giving more clearance.

Just getting whatever bushings right to fit that combination can sometimes be the hardest part, but for those trucks at full lock into the baseplate, there were fewer issues than others who definitely had some kingpin movement.

[close]

What do you mean by full lock? I usually try to get them tightened to where the bolts flush then I but the trucks back on the board and adjust as needed, haven’t had any issues yet and like I said am trying to avoid cranking them down.

Sorry, sometimes I don't explain things as well as I should.

Full lock on the inverted kingpins means the kingpins can only go in so far until they hit the end of the threaded part, which isn't that long really.

If you have some mids, you will notice it when you have them done up as tight as the kingpin will go, compared to having it a few threads out and the inverted kingpin itself sitting up some.

This post below from June 2021 has all the info, but even just looking at the second last pic, shows how much (or little) thread there is on the Indy kingpins, hence the full lock, fully locked into the baseplate, which also minimises movement of the kingpin itself.

Text from that post:

Independent Inverted Kingpin Baseplate set, or IKP for short
OCD Skateshop had 20% off trucks and wheels including these new Indy baseplate sets, so I got some as people had been asking about them. I also got some new Indy trucks and after they arrived today, I did a little swap and measure of the normal standard 149 trucks with the inverted kingpin baseplates, as per pictures provided, along with my personal preference set aside for this experiment (as I prefer normal standard kingpin assemblies to IKP versions).
The first thing I noticed was the inverted kingpin itself doesn't have a particularly long thread, so I tightened these down as far as they would go, which wasn't that much with the truck still feeling fairly loose overall. They sit a few mm below the standard kingpin at that height, but apart from that they are almost the same in terms of the baseplates, with maybe a slightly different angle of the kingpin to the normal ones, but it was minimal. The IKP has a special nut that sits inside the baseplate, so there is no way you will be taking these out to change them over, but you can always use any other brand kingpin to put into them.
The other interesting thing was to see how much clearance there was on the IKP set compared to standards, as per the last pic showing the angle of them when sitting on the hanger and resting on the kingpin, with the IKP version definitely having a lower profile.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Obijuan91

« Reply #722 on: November 15, 2023, 04:06:22 PM »
Got blue 92s and now my mindys feel great. Started noticing that they were loosening on their own. Idk if any ones posted this already but has anyone tried the dooks shock pads? Wondering if that would help absorb all the rattling that’s making them loosen up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 05:51:48 PM by Obijuan91 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #723 on: November 15, 2023, 08:39:40 PM »
Got blue 92s and now my mindys feel great. Started noticing that they were loosening on their own. Idk if any ones posted this already but has anyone tried the dooks shock pads? Wondering if that would help absorb all the rattling that’s making them loosen up.

The loosening on their own is more due to the kingpin shaft moving every time you lean left or right, eg crooks, slappy or other hard movement tricks tend to make the kingpin move more than other more gentle skating.

What I have recommended is tighten the inverted kingpin right down until it cannot go in any more.  It is not that far as the threads on the Indy kingpins are not very long anyway, but when it is right in at what I have called "full lock" then the kingpin doesn't move half as much as when it is anywhere else.

The more you loosen the trucks off from the full lock position, the more likely the kignpin will continue to move, which has then been discussed and even quite a few people putting in complaints or claims to NHS who distribute Indy who often don't reply with anything useful, or have said "Just use locktite" or something, as people on here have said in the past.

Using shock pads or similar things will lessen the vibrations through the deck but I don't think they will help much at all with the known issue of the kiingpin loosening off by itself.

It is a frustrating issue though, so trying anything and everything, as per the last 25 pages, you could see if any trial and error methods do work, which would always be welcomed here too.

Given some bushings will work better than others, in any normal kingpin trucks, you can adust the nut minimally here or there to get things just right, but with the inverted kingpin, it is harder to figure that out, often to the detriment of the kingpin loosening on its own or when you don't have it down as far, then you have less clearance as well.

See how much off full lock you have it and as the bushings wear in, you might find that they work well in full lock, so you might not have half as many issues with the kingpin moving.

Those blue bushings are good ones too - had the 92 duro bushings in my trucks for a long time.

* Replied before seeing we had talked about this before, but I am curious to hear how many turns out you are anyway.

Obijuan91

« Reply #724 on: November 17, 2023, 02:37:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The loosening on their own is more due to the kingpin shaft moving every time you lean left or right, eg crooks, slappy or other hard movement tricks tend to make the kingpin move more than other more gentle skating.

What I have recommended is tighten the inverted kingpin right down until it cannot go in any more.  It is not that far as the threads on the Indy kingpins are not very long anyway, but when it is right in at what I have called "full lock" then the kingpin doesn't move half as much as when it is anywhere else.

The more you loosen the trucks off from the full lock position, the more likely the kignpin will continue to move, which has then been discussed and even quite a few people putting in complaints or claims to NHS who distribute Indy who often don't reply with anything useful, or have said "Just use locktite" or something, as people on here have said in the past.

Using shock pads or similar things will lessen the vibrations through the deck but I don't think they will help much at all with the known issue of the kiingpin loosening off by itself.

It is a frustrating issue though, so trying anything and everything, as per the last 25 pages, you could see if any trial and error methods do work, which would always be welcomed here too.

Given some bushings will work better than others, in any normal kingpin trucks, you can adust the nut minimally here or there to get things just right, but with the inverted kingpin, it is harder to figure that out, often to the detriment of the kingpin loosening on its own or when you don't have it down as far, then you have less clearance as well.

See how much off full lock you have it and as the bushings wear in, you might find that they work well in full lock, so you might not have half as many issues with the kingpin moving.

Those blue bushings are good ones too - had the 92 duro bushings in my trucks for a long time.

* Replied before seeing we had talked about this before, but I am curious to hear how many turns out you are anyway.

Damn that’s annoying tho I was trying to avoid cranking them all the way down but guess ima have to do that, I finally understand thanks for that. The blue indy bushings do feel great but now I’m wondering if they’ll feel too tight when cranked all the way down. Thanks again

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #725 on: November 17, 2023, 03:13:30 PM »

Damn that’s annoying tho I was trying to avoid cranking them all the way down but guess ima have to do that, I finally understand thanks for that. The blue indy bushings do feel great but now I’m wondering if they’ll feel too tight when cranked all the way down. Thanks again

I was surprised (as were some others) when they realised that they were almost "fully cranked down" anyway, compared to where they usually had the kingpin.

Being inverted and unable to see where it sits or how far out it sits, count how many turns down you do it to be fully in, so at least you can easily wind it back out some anyway to where you do have it right now.

With the stock orange bushings, a few people I know who had the mids wanted the trucks tighter than what those bushings would allow, but when they tried harder bushings, at first they had to leave the kingpin out some, then as the bushings softened up and compressed they ended up pretty much at full lock anyway.

It is not an exact science, but more so just trying to get things to where they will work the best, so even with different seasons, warmer weather can have the 92 duro bushings, or colder weather can have the stock 90 duro bushings, with both still working well.

Of course this can be a pain in the ass with needing to check or change out bushings depending on the day, but at least it is an option, or more so finding some middle ground, such as it might be, but for me, using different bushings combinations is not an option - I can never run an orange top on a blue bottom, but what I have often done, as others have done here too is cut down the top bushing, or just sand it on griptape or similar if you only need a slight improvement in the tightness.

A few thoughts anyway.

Obijuan91

« Reply #726 on: November 19, 2023, 07:21:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was surprised (as were some others) when they realised that they were almost "fully cranked down" anyway, compared to where they usually had the kingpin.

Being inverted and unable to see where it sits or how far out it sits, count how many turns down you do it to be fully in, so at least you can easily wind it back out some anyway to where you do have it right now.

With the stock orange bushings, a few people I know who had the mids wanted the trucks tighter than what those bushings would allow, but when they tried harder bushings, at first they had to leave the kingpin out some, then as the bushings softened up and compressed they ended up pretty much at full lock anyway.

It is not an exact science, but more so just trying to get things to where they will work the best, so even with different seasons, warmer weather can have the 92 duro bushings, or colder weather can have the stock 90 duro bushings, with both still working well.

Of course this can be a pain in the ass with needing to check or change out bushings depending on the day, but at least it is an option, or more so finding some middle ground, such as it might be, but for me, using different bushings combinations is not an option - I can never run an orange top on a blue bottom, but what I have often done, as others have done here too is cut down the top bushing, or just sand it on griptape or similar if you only need a slight improvement in the tightness.

A few thoughts anyway.

I usually make sure they’re flush when I set em up and work from there and with the blues they’re still flush might have to change back to the stocks. Just wanted to skate some mid trucks that turn but hate the inverted king pin for that. If I can find some royals 139 I might just jump ship.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #727 on: November 19, 2023, 06:40:59 PM »

I usually make sure they’re flush when I set em up and work from there and with the blues they’re still flush might have to change back to the stocks. Just wanted to skate some mid trucks that turn but hate the inverted king pin for that. If I can find some royals 139 I might just jump ship.

Might be a bit hard to see from the second pic in the Instagram post I did (back up this same page) but the overall height of bushing and yoke  to the bottom of the standard kingpin and inverted kingpin are much the same, with the inverted kingpin sitting lower into the truck baseplate.

Did you check to see how many turns you currently are away from having it all the way down?

This was an interesting thing on other setups that people were skating, most being almost at if not completely at full lock in with the inverted kingpin without them even realising it.

Just curious anyway.

Obijuan91

« Reply #728 on: November 20, 2023, 04:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Might be a bit hard to see from the second pic in the Instagram post I did (back up this same page) but the overall height of bushing and yoke  to the bottom of the standard kingpin and inverted kingpin are much the same, with the inverted kingpin sitting lower into the truck baseplate.

Did you check to see how many turns you currently are away from having it all the way down?

This was an interesting thing on other setups that people were skating, most being almost at if not completely at full lock in with the inverted kingpin without them even realising it.

Just curious anyway.

With the regular stock bushings I wasn’t too deep but they weren’t comfortable yet. With the blues they’re like perfectly flush pretty much. The back truck is the only one that loosens up not the front tho. The thought of cranking them down makes me feel like it’ll fuck up the bushing faster but since the inverted king pin is weird I guess it’s fine. I OCD and check em once they start feeling good to see where I’m at lol. When I had the 94 hard my back truck was way looser than the front when I checked in the end but I’m now realizing it probably just loosened up

LebowskisRug

« Reply #729 on: November 21, 2023, 01:18:57 AM »
I have a theory a harder bushing/tighter truck will loosen up faster with the IKP. Mostly because when compressed the force differential between non compressed and compressed will be highest, thus providing more oscillation in force on the nylock. When I first started with Mids I was riding my trucks considerably looser than when I finished.

When Indy sent me warranty plates I put the same bushings in to the same KP depth when viewed from the bottom of the plate and it took only 2 days until it started loosening. I then switched to blue bushings and out Loctite blue on, which worked for a bit, then the rear got so bad it would loosen about a half turn in 5min

Obijuan91

« Reply #730 on: November 21, 2023, 11:34:37 AM »
I have a theory a harder bushing/tighter truck will loosen up faster with the IKP. Mostly because when compressed the force differential between non compressed and compressed will be highest, thus providing more oscillation in force on the nylock. When I first started with Mids I was riding my trucks considerably looser than when I finished .

When Indy sent me warranty plates I put the same bushings in to the same KP depth when viewed from the bottom of the plate and it took only 2 days until it started loosening. I then switched to blue bushings and out Loctite blue on, which worked for a bit, then the rear got so bad it would loosen about a half turn in 5min

This makes me feel like their is no hope for Indy mids :/ 
Your theory would make sense tho. I had tried the Teflon tape but that shit disappeared and disintegrated cuz I haven’t seen where the residue landed lol

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #731 on: November 21, 2023, 02:08:06 PM »
I never had any issue with my forged mindys/royals or slappys loosening *that I could tell* - I also fux with my trucks depending on where I skate/what I am skating...I'll tighten for manuals, loosen for slappies/bowls.

With Slappys (which DOESN'T use the special nut combo) I didn’t locktite them until the second time I took them apart (to add a flat top washer) and never fucked with them (even marked the pin) and they never loosened. Pretty sure since they use a standard nut they wouldn't need the loctite.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 03:02:10 PM by Xen »

lildonut92

• Rep: 10
« Reply #732 on: November 21, 2023, 04:07:17 PM »
I really wish they would’ve nailed it with the Indy mid. These would be my truck of choice if it weren’t for the issues I’ve read about on here. I miss Indy’s, they’re just too tall for me. Even the forged ones.

Obijuan91

« Reply #733 on: November 21, 2023, 06:11:51 PM »
I really wish they would’ve nailed it with the Indy mid. These would be my truck of choice if it weren’t for the issues I’ve read about on here. I miss Indy’s, they’re just too tall for me. Even the forged ones.

They’re starting to become such a hassle to make em just work it’s starting to feel not worth it

Obijuan91

« Reply #734 on: November 21, 2023, 06:54:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just curious anyway.

Nah I didn’t but I threw the stick ones back in and spun em till it didn’t wanna turn no more and it was about 9 turns from start

mstuntbless

• Rep: 12
« Reply #735 on: November 27, 2023, 08:57:47 PM »
Ok slap I need some assistance. I like Indy trucks..however standards are too high. I got the mid forged 149 so the height is 50.5 mm. I also have a pair of 149 FH that I feel are too high. Can I take the hangar from the FH and put it on the mindy FH baseplate? That way I can be a little higher? But not quite the height of a standard FH.

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #736 on: November 27, 2023, 09:05:27 PM »
You’re doing to much.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #737 on: November 27, 2023, 09:43:42 PM »
Ok slap I need some assistance. I like Indy trucks..however standards are too high. I got the mid forged 149 so the height is 50.5 mm. I also have a pair of 149 FH that I feel are too high. Can I take the hangar from the FH and put it on the mindy FH baseplate? That way I can be a little higher? But not quite the height of a standard FH.

Buy regular 52mm indy mids...or Royals for a 52mm...or Cast Thunders....or Forged Ventures

Forged hollow indy are 53.5mm that's too high? It's the perfect height 'regular' indy imo
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 10:51:39 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #738 on: November 28, 2023, 03:10:49 PM »
Have you tried smaller wheels?

mstuntbless

« Reply #739 on: November 28, 2023, 04:11:14 PM »
With which trucks?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #740 on: November 28, 2023, 04:53:23 PM »

The height difference between mid and any of the regular trucks is in the hanger, so the forged baseplates should be the same height on any truck.  Then the mid hangers will all be one height, which equates to 52mm on cast baseplates or lower at 50.5mm on forged.  The regular hangers, be it standard, hollow or ti axle are all the same height, which equates to 55mm on cast plates and 53.5mm on forged baseplates.

If anything you might want to put the hollow mid hangers on a cast baseplate, which you might not have, to make them 52mm in height, otherwise with what you have, they are going to be 50.5 on the mid hangers or 53.5 on the 149s forged hollows, regardless of which baseplate.

At least that is how I read it.

Did you have any other normal / standard / cast baseplates to put the mid hangers on?

That would give you the 52mm height you might be wanting, if the 53.5 trucks felt too tall.

mstuntbless

« Reply #741 on: November 28, 2023, 07:26:00 PM »
^^you are picking up what I am putting down and I appreciate the thought you put into your posts. I do not have a standard/cast baseplate. I think at this point I really need to just try and make the 50.5mm height work. I have had a bout of truck madness and it seems like the more I switch something the less progress I make in terms of both skating and getting the feel that I want.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
« Reply #742 on: November 29, 2023, 12:44:04 AM »
Anyone by chance skate both Indy forged hollow mids and Ace AF1 lows?  I’m skating the AF1 lows now and really enjoying them.  Of course gear madness takes over and I’m thinking the forged hollow mids might be the most comparable truck.  Just curious how they compare from anyones experience…

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #743 on: November 29, 2023, 09:39:37 PM »
I’ve skated them both…..very different….mindys are way less wiggly and will prolly feel heftier…..more stable.  Have you thought about a plain ole thunder too?  Why do you want to change…..

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
« Reply #744 on: November 30, 2023, 07:30:01 PM »
I’ve skated them both…..very different….mindys are way less wiggly and will prolly feel heftier…..more stable.  Have you thought about a plain ole thunder too?  Why do you want to change…..

I’m not a fan of Thunders.  I really like low trucks and I really like trucks that don’t push out the wheelbase a lot.  The Ace lows have been great, just exploring other options that fit those two criteria…

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #745 on: December 02, 2023, 07:44:11 AM »
yes, I guess if you care about the wheelbase, I'd say Mindy and regular Aces are the next best thing.  The Indy will feel a lot more stable...I don't think they'll feel as low.  The wheelbase will probably feel longer for sure vs. the Aces, but IMO Indy's feel really proportionally correct.  The Ace lows, felt like the nose was too long to me. 

That said....take this with a grain of salt...I skate ventures....

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 20
« Reply #746 on: December 02, 2023, 12:36:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not a fan of Thunders.  I really like low trucks and I really like trucks that don’t push out the wheelbase a lot.  The Ace lows have been great, just exploring other options that fit those two criteria…

Have or would you consider trying Mini-logo trucks? I've swapped out the pivot cups and bushings for indy hards 94a and found them to be pretty decent trucks that are both low and don't seem to push the wheelbase out loads. I don't really do lots of grinds though so can't vouch for them in that regard.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 20
« Reply #747 on: December 02, 2023, 12:38:08 PM »
Here's a question that I've been wondering for you indy guys, (sorry if I sound really stupid asking this) would I be right in thinking you could use independent mid hangers with a standard non-ikp baseplate? Would the only issue be reduced kingpin clearance? Has anyone tried it?

I was looking at some old stage 8 indys and the kingpin clearance doesn't look amazing, I started thinking that you could potentially just use a standard baseplate with a mids hanger (perhaps for those that don't do tons of grinds?).

I'm sure its something that has been answered in previous posts but honestly I haven't read through all pages of this thread.

PS I'm a Venture guy but do like the way indy mids look, especially in the smaller sizes.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #748 on: December 02, 2023, 12:47:18 PM »
Here's a question that I've been wondering for you indy guys, (sorry if I sound really stupid asking this) would I be right in thinking you could use independent mid hangers with a standard non-ikp baseplate? Would the only issue be reduced kingpin clearance? Has anyone tried it?

I was looking at some old stage 8 indys and the kingpin clearance doesn't look amazing, I started thinking that you could potentially just use a standard baseplate with a mids hanger (perhaps for those that don't do tons of grinds?).

I'm sure its something that has been answered in previous posts but honestly I haven't read through all pages of this thread.

PS I'm a Venture guy but do like the way indy mids look, especially in the smaller sizes.

You can, but the hanger yoke hole doesn't line up 1:1 (mine didn't anyway; same for putting the regs hanger on a the mid cast plate (not the stand alone IKP plate)...no idea if this is still the case.

Pretty sure I've got a post in this thread about it.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 12:57:59 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #749 on: December 02, 2023, 05:10:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Have or would you consider trying Mini-logo trucks? I've swapped out the pivot cups and bushings for indy hards 94a and found them to be pretty decent trucks that are both low and don't seem to push the wheelbase out loads. I don't really do lots of grinds though so can't vouch for them in that regard.

I have...I'm a pretty strong supporter of them...I just don't skate them....fair ball though, they should be in the same conversation of low truck options....