Author Topic: Toy Machine and Foundation suck now  (Read 23518 times)

shouldn't

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Toy Machine and Foundation suck now
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2021, 11:30:52 PM »
good & evil era was sick. it was rad how ed was able to bring the brand back after losing the entire team and, one of the heaviest teams ever at that. a lot of other brands would have folded, especially in that time period. other than that, yeah it’s weird he posts fart emojis on 15 yr old girl’s asses but acts like a super pc vegan southern californian… don’t meet your heroes.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2021, 11:40:54 PM »
If your argument is that, as we enter 2022, TM and Foundation aren’t as impactful and relevant in skateboarding as they once were, then yes you are right.

My question to you is, where have you been the last ten years? Their decline in relevancy has been steady for some time, albeit slower for TM. That being said, they both still have some heavy hitters and seem to be doing their thing, so I back them. Nothing stays cool or relevant forever. Imagine what early 90s dudes from the world/blind era thought about the wet Willy and reaper years.

Seriously though, was this just a revelation you thought up yourself? Like you thought no one else realized their slide out of the top board brands?

TheFandangler

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2021, 11:51:32 PM »
good & evil era was sick. it was rad how ed was able to bring the brand back after losing the entire team and, one of the heaviest teams ever at that. a lot of other brands would have folded, especially in that time period. other than that, yeah it’s weird he posts fart emojis on 15 yr old girl’s asses but acts like a super pc vegan southern californian… don’t meet your heroes.

Acts like? Isn’t he a vegan southern Californian though? And I don’t know that Ed would ever be considered super PC. I mean, the fart emojis on people at the pier isn’t for me, but it seems like he thinks it’s funny, and it’s doubtful there’s anything sexual about it. Regardless of age, and unless you’re into farts as a fetish, there’s nothing inherently sexual about that. That’s other people projecting their social conditioning about the naked human body. I mean, maybe Ed is into farts and it is sexual in which case fuck him, but, given his well documented interest in nudity and how it makes people uncomfortable, I feel like he would have been cancelled already if there were any serious issues surrounding it.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2021, 11:52:52 PM »
Jump Off A Building was my real introduction to Toy Machine way back in 2000 when I started, and I thought Dashawn Jordan did us all proud based on that last video and everything else he's done.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2021, 12:11:36 AM »
I wouldn’t say that these companies suck now (like a bunch of people have mentioned, they currently have a ton of talent on their rosters compared to various points throughout their respective histories) it’s just that they aren’t “cool” anymore.  That seems to be something pretty natural for older legacy companies when you roll out the same aesthetic over and over for a long time (decades in this case).

I started really paying attention to pro skating in the later 90s, probably right around Jump Off Building, which was a little after the original Toy Machine heyday, but the company still seemed edgy and interesting back then.  At this point there are so many newer and fresher companies bringing that type of intrigue to skating that no one is looking to Toy Machine or Foundation to define the direction that the industry is going in.  I think it’s a case of you can stay somewhat relevant by sponsoring riders that people care about without people still buying into the brand itself as much as in years past. 

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2021, 12:15:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Acts like? Isn’t he a vegan southern Californian though? And I don’t know that Ed would ever be considered super PC. I mean, the fart emojis on people at the pier isn’t for me, but it seems like he thinks it’s funny, and it’s doubtful there’s anything sexual about it. Regardless of age, and unless you’re into farts as a fetish, there’s nothing inherently sexual about that. That’s other people projecting their social conditioning about the naked human body. I mean, maybe Ed is into farts and it is sexual in which case fuck him, but, given his well documented interest in nudity and how it makes people uncomfortable, I feel like he would have been cancelled already if there were any serious issues surrounding it.
the sexual part would be taking pictures of half naked underage girls on the beach in the first place and, then later adding emojis to their sexual areas… that’s just my take though. i’m sure if you had a 14 year old daughter and saw her on ed’s page with a big fart emoji coming out of her half naked ass, you’d be stoked right? i dunno.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

TheFandangler

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2021, 12:42:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
the sexual part would be taking pictures of half naked underage girls on the beach in the first place and, then later adding emojis to their sexual areas… that’s just my take though. i’m sure if you had a 14 year old daughter and saw her on ed’s page with a big fart emoji coming out of her half naked ass, you’d be stoked right? i dunno.

I mean, if he was only posting pictures of young girls on his page, then yes I think there would be cause for concern. But he does seem to just take pictures of whoever is at the pier. Granted, it’s all kind of weird, but I haven’t heard anything bad about Ed that way, and I’m sure if some HB dad has a problem with it he can talk to Ed about it. I don’t think he hides in the shadows or anything.

user18081971

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2021, 02:08:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Tum Yeto died to me and I lost all my respect for them in this day and age when they printed the rapist graphic (even after the POS' was already in court for his crimes) and never responded to any of the backlash. Same goes for Dan Lu. I fucking loved everything Toy Machine (up until mid-2000s era) and that sealed the nail in the coffin for me.

edit: I fuck with Dashawn hard and there's obviously other fantastic skaters on Tum Yeto but the only way I'd buy his boards are if someone still had some B&C decks lying around. And yeah, Ed is a skate icon with a legacy that is hard to match, but on a personal level couldn't give a shit about him.
[close]

Elaborate.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113667.0

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2021, 02:08:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Tum Yeto died to me and I lost all my respect for them in this day and age when they printed the rapist graphic (even after the POS' was already in court for his crimes) and never responded to any of the backlash. Same goes for Dan Lu. I fucking loved everything Toy Machine (up until mid-2000s era) and that sealed the nail in the coffin for me.

edit: I fuck with Dashawn hard and there's obviously other fantastic skaters on Tum Yeto but the only way I'd buy his boards are if someone still had some B&C decks lying around. And yeah, Ed is a skate icon with a legacy that is hard to match, but on a personal level couldn't give a shit about him.
[close]

Elaborate.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113667.msg3462941#msg3462941

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2021, 03:48:54 AM »
If your argument is that, as we enter 2022, TM and Foundation aren’t as impactful and relevant in skateboarding as they once were, then yes you are right.

My question to you is, where have you been the last ten years? Their decline in relevancy has been steady for some time, albeit slower for TM. That being said, they both still have some heavy hitters and seem to be doing their thing, so I back them. Nothing stays cool or relevant forever. Imagine what early 90s dudes from the world/blind era thought about the wet Willy and reaper years.

Seriously though, was this just a revelation you thought up yourself? Like you thought no one else realized their slide out of the top board brands?

Agree.

it’s also very difficult to stay relevant and be on top of the game for >30 years….
With any company - but with fashion and skateboarding in particular.

Don’t want to protect Toy with all hurt feelings happend since 1993. but still under the same Management, Same art department, still good Team - with proper videos… scorched earth just 1 day ago???

In a fair comparison with all other skateboard company’s in the market it coud be worse.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2021, 04:31:04 AM »
toy machine is sick, both dope team and videos.
foundation is sick, both dope team and videos.
however, i don't like the wood/shapes of both.
so i won't buy them.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2021, 05:12:12 AM »
Kind of agree w this. Toy seems like the most randomly selected team. Not really feeling all the stupid shit Ed t clips in the videos either. Dashawn Jordan is incredible however.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2021, 05:55:13 AM »
for go my initial opinion, I do realize that they've kept their image a bit too long and yes early Josh Harmony era was terrible.

As someone else said good and evil and other videos after had solid Butcher, Marks, JLay, Trapasso, there was rad skating yes Dashawn Jordan killed it recent iterations as well as their heyday.

if we were to look at them as  whole what's your favorite era of Toy Machine? easily Jump off a Building Maldonado, Steamer, Margera, BA, now with Foundation they've had such an revolving team it's hard to keep up and remember I only mentioned CA and That's Life as I was really paying attention to them at the time and living in Colorado where it was being filmed somewhat.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 06:48:05 AM by El Fapinator »

comicbookguy

• Rep: -53
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2021, 06:48:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Elaborate.
[close]
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113667.msg3462941#msg3462941

Ahhhh yep, with you now. Lister is toy as.

Genericwhitemale

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2021, 07:39:27 AM »
Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis is the best video game ever.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2021, 08:06:37 AM »
Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis is the best video game ever.
You are nuts - never forget Streetfighter C64!

Baby on Board

• Rep: 34
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2021, 08:08:45 AM »
Nah they’re both still tight as fuck.
3 out of my last 4 boards were yeto.

iskateventures

• Rep: -26
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2021, 08:18:21 AM »
Don’t think Ed forces anyone to get naked

Jump off a building is a classic and probably the pinnacle of toymachine

Foundation has the best team they’ve had since rolling thunder. Literally worst take possible on foundation Corey Glick just put out a great part of mostly east coast spots watch that

Myles willard
if your referencing corey glicks "uprise" part thats all chicago,IL footage. shit was bonkers

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2021, 08:36:40 AM »

Can you please elaborate on what the deal with dan lu is?

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2021, 09:04:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can you please elaborate on what the deal with dan lu is?

The board graphic was for Dan Lu.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2021, 09:12:42 AM »
Nah they’re both still tight as fuck.
3 out of my last 4 boards were yeto.

Yep 100%...Myles Willard has some of the sickest footage I've seen in a long time. "Scorched Earth" was so sick.

OP is definitely off their rocker. And maybe just needs someone to blame for all of their personal problems.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2021, 09:18:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree Ed can do some creepy stuff, but the only one sexualizing 14 year olds in swimsuits here is you. It’s a beach dude young girls wear bikinis, you don’t have to sexualize there body’s for dressing for the occasion.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2021, 10:21:05 AM »
These brands are just mikesinclairskateboards.com now

as bland as the man himself
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »
Foundations Art Bars was the first skate vid I ever saw and I still think Ethan Fowler’s skating from that era was sick as hell. Nick Trapassos part in Suffer the Joy is one of the few 2000s era handrail parts I ever have even the slightest urge to rewatch. So they both have a soft spot in my heart.

Nowadays I’m not too hyped on anything they’re doing but that’s ok, it’s like a legacy band who still puts out decent-but-not-amazing albums every year multiple decades into their career. I’m never gonna be over the moon about a new release, but I can’t be mad about it. It’s kinda comforting to see them still existing at all through all the twists and turns we’ve seen over 20+ years. Some sense of continuity in a crazy changing world.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »
Like many brands that have been around since the 90's, I feel like they were pretty stagnant for quite a few years in the 2010's and not adapting well to the changes happening in skateboarding. In the last couple years though both companies have been getting their momentum back and putting out some great stuff. The current teams are awesome and I'm happy they're still around.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2021, 02:06:11 PM »
Like many brands that have been around since the 90's, I feel like they were pretty stagnant for quite a few years in the 2010's and not adapting well to the changes happening in skateboarding. In the last couple years though both companies have been getting their momentum back and putting out some great stuff. The current teams are awesome and I'm happy they're still around.
This right here, I whole heartedly kinda agree with, if there’s going to be a brand from the 90’s why not have a legacy place for milking it aging out pro’s?  How Black Label had an emergency old man division…..

Welpok

• Rep: 12
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2021, 03:49:34 PM »
Punching the air like KB right now because of this thread
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2021, 09:21:51 PM »
A big misconception with the photography Ed does is that he's somehow trying to sexualize or exploit his subjects. He's into street photography which is not everyone's cup of tea and I completely get that. Doesn't mean he's a creep and doesn't mean he has any malicious intent, but I think it's important to look into what he does and what his motives are before casting judgement. There's a big difference between Ed Templeton and Terry Richardson for example.

JJ_Skates

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2021, 09:26:58 PM »
foundation has sucked since cataclysmic abyss. toy fell off after good and evil. let things die

Agreed. They've kinda been riding the wave since then. The Corey Duffel, Ethan Fowler, and Don Nguyen days were my favorite for Foundation. Raw as fuck.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
I'm old and have enjoyed both brands for a long time. Rolling thunder and art bars are still 2 of my favourite videos. Toy Machine has just always been a brand I liked. Early 200o's I would even ride pig boards