Author Topic: Opinions on wearing protective gear  (Read 250 times)

jmzzz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Opinions on wearing protective gear
« on: May 15, 2024, 10:03:40 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm a student conducting a research project on skaters wearing protective gear, I wanted to ask if there is a reason that generally speaking, people don’t use as much gear or are limited?

I would greatly value the opinions of those aged 18 and over on my survey.

Link to survey: https://app.onlinesurveys.jisc.ac.uk/s/lboro/skateboarding-protective-gear-survey

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 44
Re: Opinions on wearing protective gear
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 01:16:18 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm a student conducting a research project on skaters wearing protective gear, I wanted to ask if there is a reason that generally speaking, people don’t use as much gear or are limited?

I would greatly value the opinions of those aged 18 and over on my survey.

Link to survey: https://app.onlinesurveys.jisc.ac.uk/s/lboro/skateboarding-protective-gear-survey

I wear pads. Helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads almost always.
Why? I'm old, I don't bounce, and I like to skate transition. Many times pads have been the difference between "get up and keep skating" and "two weeks of rehab."
But they're not cool. They're not convenient. And they're not comfortable. Hot summer day plus full pads, you're going to sweat through your pants.
I think also that an added danger factor on a trick makes it more impressive, right? Pro skaters are basically stunt people. It has to look casual, like you were just pushing down the street and on a whim decided to backside flip that seven stair. Protective gear detracts from that badass factor. And since we all want to be like pro skaters...

Edit: forgot about cost too. You can spend a couple hundred bucks on good pads easy. And the cheap ones don't protect, so what's the point of that?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 08:31:31 PM »
I'm old as well and I don't because I don't want to.  I stay clear of coping bowls or other situations where I think I need to wear them.  I suspect you'll find that most people who don't wear pads won't have much of an opinion as to why they do/don't and people who wear them will have a strong opinion and ideas on the subject.....

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 11:33:38 PM »
Health insurance >>>>

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 03:01:35 AM »
I pad up depending on what I am doing. Rolling around for a warm up? No pads. Learning frontside slappys with a real chance of getting pitched? Wrist and an elbow pad over my lead elbow, because thats where I will land.
My opinion, and I think a lot of people’s opinion in my area on pads: wear them if you want, who cares? I stopped in the middle of a crowded session to put on a helmet (I was the oldest guy around) and nobody batted an eye. I got my 4” fs board slide I was trying and all was well.

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 05:28:43 AM »
I always wear a condom when I shred.  Does that count?  I'm not taking any chances.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 08:42:40 AM »
Helmet in big bowls. Knee pads if the surface allows for knee slides and it's a big transition.

Over the last few years all the worst injuries I've had, pads would not have prevented them. Helmets are a very good idea for big shit though.