Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 136669 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #450 on: May 12, 2022, 07:59:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Don't bother with Riptides just wax your hanger nub a bit. I do it on every pair of trucks now and have zero squeaks. You could do it where the bushings touch the hanger too.
[close]

I've done this and found that once the wax is in there for a bit and breaks down/gets dirty, the wax itself causes an even louder squeak. might depend on the type of wax, i just used gulf wax. I might try a cotton swab with the lightest bit of motor oil on it and do a very light coat.

Wax works but is a stop gap solution for me as the squeaks always come back. The smallest drop of speed cream or whatever [bearing] lube  does the trick (and you don't have to disassemble your trucks ruining your current truck adjustments)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #451 on: May 12, 2022, 08:07:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don't bother with Riptides just wax your hanger nub a bit. I do it on every pair of trucks now and have zero squeaks. You could do it where the bushings touch the hanger too.
[close]

I've done this and found that once the wax is in there for a bit and breaks down/gets dirty, the wax itself causes an even louder squeak. might depend on the type of wax, i just used gulf wax. I might try a cotton swab with the lightest bit of motor oil on it and do a very light coat.
[close]

Wax works but is a stop gap solution for me as the squeaks always come back. The smallest drop of speed cream or whatever [bearing] lube  does the trick (and you don't have to disassemble your trucks ruining your current truck adjustments)

True.
Bike grease can work too

Dan Gerous

« Reply #452 on: May 12, 2022, 08:11:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dust and dirt sticks to oil and grease, it will work initially but unless you wipe it clean on a regular basis, like your experience with wax getting dirty, it may end up being worst IMO.

Apparently, the ultimate solution for those who can't stand squeaky trucks is to buy graphite powder. It's a dry powder that is used to lube locks without attracting dirt and gumming up, it stays dry and clean and usually lasts longer than oil, grease, wax or soap shavings as it doesn't break down and become contaminated with crap. It's pretty cheap to buy wherever they make keys and sell locks and you only need a little amount in the pivot cup so a small bottle will last a lifetime.

Last time I had Indy's I couldn't believe how loud they squeaked, Thunders in my experience squeak a little when new but it calms down once broken in.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #453 on: May 12, 2022, 08:56:53 AM »
I put the tiniest amount in there, and wipe it down after, and never get 'grease runs'; I know what you mean as I've had them by applying too much. Just go easy and you're be fine.

Besides, skateboards are fifthly as it is and I'd rather not disassemble my trucks ones I've got them feeling right.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #454 on: May 12, 2022, 09:06:02 AM »
Any opportunity I get to wax my nub…..I take it. 

IpathCats

« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2022, 05:55:31 AM »
Had another great sesh on these thunders yesterday. These seem to be exactly what I was looking for. The bushings feel good, but they're already cracking which is disappointing, will probably have to replace them soon. Do Indy Conicals fit? Or will I have to sand/cut them down?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2022, 06:06:28 AM »
Had another great sesh on these thunders yesterday. These seem to be exactly what I was looking for. The bushings feel good, but they're already cracking which is disappointing, will probably have to replace them soon. Do Indy Conicals fit? Or will I have to sand/cut them down?

Indy bushings are shorter at 13mm tall. Thunder comes in at 14.2mm. CCS is having a sale right now on riptides, Krux bushings also fit flush.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #457 on: May 15, 2022, 06:26:21 AM »

My thunder bushings crack, but…it hasn’t changed anything, aside from the look. Maybe that’s just me tho.
(Weird way of me trying to say that you might not need to change them out that soon)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #458 on: May 15, 2022, 07:02:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My thunder bushings crack, but…it hasn’t changed anything, aside from the look. Maybe that’s just me tho.
(Weird way of me trying to say that you might not need to change them out that soon)

About 2 years ago I bought a thunder 90a rebuild kit and it already came with cracked bushings. I even ripped a little chunk off one bushing on the first day and I still never had any problems skating them for over a year. Cracking means nothing in the world of thunders

MC3

• Rep: 129
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #459 on: May 15, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »
Nothing to contribute to this thread than to say I love Thunders
(Cool Trick GIF)

IpathCats

« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2022, 05:26:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll let it ride till it feels weird then I guess.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #461 on: May 15, 2022, 05:28:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I tried that after it jizzes out an oily death spunk the squeak comes back fast. Guess I've just had good luck with these hangers as I've only waxed them once.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: May 15, 2022, 05:51:20 PM »
I tend to not get squeaky thunders tho (especially stock). Indy on the other hand...every single pair.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #463 on: May 15, 2022, 06:52:06 PM »
It's a way to announce your gear supremacy without having to say anything.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #464 on: May 15, 2022, 07:26:17 PM »
how long does it take for dlx warranty team to email me back (from your experience) about a baseplate issue (no, not the noseslide contacts)
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: May 15, 2022, 07:42:55 PM »
I tend to not get squeaky thunders tho (especially stock). Indy on the other hand...every single pair.

I may have watched some painful batb footage, and in one of them both riders had super creaky indy setups. My beloved ventures have often had the squeak in the beginning as well.

Does anyone have a favorite riser to use with thunders?

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #466 on: May 15, 2022, 08:28:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I may have watched some painful batb footage, and in one of them both riders had super creaky indy setups. My beloved ventures have often had the squeak in the beginning as well.

Im rocking the Real Wooden ones they are pretty good!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #467 on: May 15, 2022, 08:39:40 PM »
how long does it take for dlx warranty team to email me back (from your experience) about a baseplate issue (no, not the noseslide contacts)

For me it's either on the same day or never

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #468 on: May 15, 2022, 09:03:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks! Will get

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #469 on: May 15, 2022, 09:15:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Thanks! Will get

you won't be disappointed

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: May 15, 2022, 09:36:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Thanks! Will get
[close]

you won't be disappointed

Ah, thanks for the co-sign.
Yes, the only problem is waiting on the good ‘local’ to also get the new venture bushings, before placing the order.

As a side note, I switch my stuff up, often, and at this point that seems to be a fairly big part of ‘skating’ for me…and yet I’ve been riding thunders a lot lately, particularly 149s

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #471 on: May 16, 2022, 09:13:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can't recall the BATB matches, but I know the ones you are talking about, there was a pretty recent one. that level of squeak would drive me insane.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:29:00 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: May 16, 2022, 11:38:07 AM »
Pros do low key weird shit though, ie ride insanely tight trucks and incessantly crowbar their heel into the truck to straighten them out…no normal skaters do that…..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2022, 11:51:16 AM »
Tell me more please

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #474 on: May 16, 2022, 12:29:30 PM »
Pros do low key weird shit though, ie ride insanely tight trucks and incessantly crowbar their heel into the truck to straighten them out…no normal skaters do that…..

cole does that shit

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: May 16, 2022, 12:34:22 PM »
So does Nigel….so do kids at the park…for no good reason….

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: May 16, 2022, 04:37:18 PM »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #477 on: May 17, 2022, 02:28:17 PM »

Actually, many skaters do their heel into a truck to straighten it out. That's not some weird pro shit..the fuck?
Super Champion Fun Zone

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 325
« Reply #478 on: May 23, 2022, 07:26:57 PM »
on my like 8th set of 148s. I was always quick to change to the 95a but the local doesnt have any thunder or bones so im using the stocks and they're pretty good.

i also noticed thunder and venture never did the whole inverted kingpin thing.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #479 on: May 23, 2022, 07:37:08 PM »
Thunder keeps hinting like they might.  I hope they don’t.  The clearance does suck but the Indy one looks beat.  Venture you don’t really need it.  By the time you hit your kingpin you’re a couple mm’s away from the axel.